F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 18000 mile update 335i
ARMA SPEED

12-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
jzcrna
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

well I'm at 17800 miles and wanted to give an update. I will start with my absolute favorite thing about my sportline 335i.

Sport Mode with Sport auto transmission.

I truly believe that if there were no sport mode, I would find a much less expensive automobile. Comfort mode is adequate in the 335i, but far inferior to sport mode with sport auto transmission. I cannot express the smoothness and control from using my cars shift paddles in sport manual mode. It is something that keeps me in my BMW. I highly, highly recommend the sport auto transmission and shift paddles. I've driven many other cars with shift paddles and they just cannot compare. They truly belong in a BMW.

I so enjoy having the other driving modes. When I am in the city I drive in Eco pro, but switch back and forth from comfort mode when I need to be a bit more aggressive. I have noticed substantially better overall gas mileage when I use Eco pro for those very short local trips. I then use comfort/sport 50/50 in all of my highway traveling. I feel that it's safe to say I get the most out of my car's driving modes as I usually have my hand on the toggle switch and vary my driving style in accordance with the traffic or road conditions. Previously, I complained about the lack of powering comparison to the N54 but I must say that if you drive the car in the proper rev ranges and gears, you can easily command your car to do exactly what you want.

My next favorite part are the sport seats. My leatherette sport seats are close in comparison to my former E60. Next is the aesthetics and aggressive look of the vehicle.

Idrive is my next favorite. There have been many complaints of the navigation system, etc. I However love it. I have finally mastered sending locations from my BMW remote and adding locations to my address book and deleting them as needed from my last destinations or address book. At first I thought that I could order my next car without, but now I am not so sure. At the very least, I like the Nav "onboard info" to calculate my time and see my distance traveled and distance remaining. I also love the fact that when sending addresses from BMW remote the phone numbers are included as well. So even if I merely need a phone number of a business to call on the road I send the address to the Nav and Voila!!...The number is sent also and I can dial it up from Idrive. The only think I like about BMW apps is MOG radio and Pandora. They make BMW Apps invaluable. I have also found that you can set the sound to higher quality with MOG and it sounds AMAZING. Pandora quality, not so much. I do have the HK which sounds outstanding with MOG radio. I would not upgrade to the HK system if I only listened to satellite radio.

dislikes:
I cannot for the life of me get office to work with my iPhone 5. I have done all of the thumb drive updates, set the alerts in the phone, re-paired the phone, etc. but I cannot get the texts and emails to show up.

Otherwise, there is nothing that I dislike about my car. Wait! I forgot the skinny steering wheel and the lousy sound quality of satellite radio.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrna View Post
I cannot express the smoothness and control from using my cars shift paddles in sport manual mode. It is something that keeps me in my BMW. I highly, highly recommend the sport auto transmission and shift paddles. I've driven many other cars with shift paddles and they just cannot compare. They truly belong in a BMW.
Ugh, I've had paddle shifters in a couple cars and I've pronounced them useless so I didn't add that option. You're making me regret it now - I knew I would!
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
jzcrna
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew2069
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrna View Post
I cannot express the smoothness and control from using my cars shift paddles in sport manual mode. It is something that keeps me in my BMW. I highly, highly recommend the sport auto transmission and shift paddles. I've driven many other cars with shift paddles and they just cannot compare. They truly belong in a BMW.
Ugh, I've had paddle shifters in a couple cars and I've pronounced them useless so I didn't add that option. You're making me regret it now - I knew I would!
Yeah,I had a TL with paddle shifters and they really didn't belong on the car. I wish people realized the difference between BMWs implementation vs. others. Don't regret it. I just think that for $500 it's the most value oriented highly beneficial option on the car. Dealerships are so stupid not to include it on their lots and give it a proper demonstration to potential buyers.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Tsuvoi
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

I think Porsche has pretty good paddles too.

Does BMW Apps require a subscription to some service? Does it also require that you maintain a data plan for your car?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Those cars with responsive ATs also have good paddle shifters. Without a good AT, paddles are merely another way to control a slushbox.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
EB_F30
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13' M Sport 335 6MT

Nice review. When you mentioned "MOG" being a great app for music and that it sounded great I got pretty excited.... I did a quick download but of course ITALY blocks it...they already block Pandora but yup they block MOG too since its not a US IP address....so stupid.

Good to hear you overall like the car, I should finally have mine in a few short (long) weeks.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

Thanks for the review.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
Boosted John
Internet Ninja
Rep
Drives: 13 AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1337 View Post
I think Porsche has pretty good paddles too.

Does BMW Apps require a subscription to some service? Does it also require that you maintain a data plan for your car?
No it does not require anything extra. the phone does have to be connected by the iphone cable and obviously you have to download the BMW connected app.

Appreciate 0