F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 328i M Sport vs IS250 F-Sport vs ATS 2.0T (by Edmunds)
proTUNING Freaks

05-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #111
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwFlooner View Post
It definitely sounds better, nice burbles. Though the volume of the exhaust on a cold start is unexpectedly loud.
This! It wakes up the neighbors on start-up.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #112
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
I think you're just getting used to it. We have an N55 and an N20 in our household, and the N20 sound doesn't seem to have changed to my ear. I think the engine is fantastic, but from an auditory perspective, it's no where close to the sound of an I6.
Your 1er appears to be the N54...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #113
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmxf View Post
Makes me feel good about my decision - can't wait for it to arrive. Thanks for passing the link along.
You didn't order the car tested.
You ordered an Xdrive, thus no sport suspension, more weight, and not likely to get those tires (maybe).

But, nothing wrong with your choice. It'll still be a fine BMW 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #114
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
No, it's more this:

LOL!
Perfect.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #115
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64-bit View Post
And let's the 335i vs 328i battle begins...

Let's put this way...

I owned a 2010 IS 250 RWD and I replaced that car for a 335xi, why? The engine, it sucks big time... slow, week, sounds good but that is about it, I could no longer live with it so I trade on a Honda odyssey for my wife, it was that bad.

So if lexus just moved over that engine in to their new body style model expecting to compete with BMW, they were sooo wrong, and that is a done deal.

328i has the best engine on its class, as you mention, but 335i has an engine that is called "a marvel", and if combine the 8 automatic = perfect, of course add more weight, but who tracks their car every day???

I want to feel the power and sound while I'm driving and be happy with my decision for a lonnnnggg time... that is why I choose the 335i

If I wanted the fuel efficiency + nice and yet powerful engine, I would choose the 328i but I would hate myself every time that engine hits idle as it sounds 4 cyl diesel like.
Fuel efficiency is still great with the 335i.
The 328i doesn't corner the market in better MPG.
This test shows they achieved a 25mpg avg. 335i's get that as well.
If you call upon the 2.0's power, you will burn more fuel.
If you call upon the 3.0 to give the same power as the 2.0 at full bore, it will then burn nearly the same amount of fuel, except for the slightly extra weight of the 335i.
But, if you call upon the 3.0's FULL power, then it will burn more than than the 2.0 at full bore, simply because the 3.0 can produce more power, and to produce more power requires more fuel.

That's why for daily driving where either car is using about the same amount of power, average MPG will be about the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #116
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
We saw what happened when all cars had the six cylinder, it is now an 11 page thread.

This test is an summer tire equipped 328 MSport vs the smaller engined cars.

This is a pretty decisive win for the F30. The wider summer tires and Euro brakes proved their merit with a short 109ft stopping distance, .90 on the skidpad oh and a new record for 1/4 mile time of 13.8 second at a LOW 97.7mph, which indicates it HOOKED well off the line.
Great display of superiority from the 328i.

It's a BMW 3 series, so we of course have to watch what we say.
But, here goes anyway.
This pretty much sums up why the 328i won.
From the article:
"So BMW won out again, though by the skin of its turbocharged wündermotor. The writing may be on the wall, but for now the BMW 3 Series is still a step ahead."

Reading the article, if the Lexus had a comparable engine to the BMW 2.0T, it may have won, or likely won.
Also, note the the IS250 was let down by lackluster tires. That's a problem Lexus needs to address if they want to play here, especially with a F trim IS.

From the reading the BMW wasn't the best handler, it was the more balanced car in terms of competent handling even though it has a soft sport suspension, better seats, iDrive, basically a better package, which is what a BMW 3 series has always been about. The ATS kicked both of the other cars butts in the slalom by a long shot.

But as I said, this is a BMW 3 series, and we all love us some 3 series.
Still, to better a product one must be honest with themselves.
The problem, I fear, is that with the 328i winning it's comparo's among the modes it compete's with, BMW is not going to be so inclined to address some of the things that many of us want them to address.
Namely, those things are the soft sport suspension and lack luster steering.
The 335i does get knocked for those things, so hopefully BMW will take it seriously and address those things. But, considering the 328i variant clearly outsells the 335i, those fixes may not be coming so quickly.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #117
ACCELCAR
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Great display of superiority from the 328i.

It's a BMW 3 series, so we of course have to watch what we say.
But, here goes anyway.
This pretty much sums up why the 328i won.
From the article:
"So BMW won out again, though by the skin of its turbocharged wündermotor. The writing may be on the wall, but for now the BMW 3 Series is still a step ahead."

Reading the article, if the Lexus had a comparable engine to the BMW 2.0T, it may have won, or likely won.
Also, note the the IS250 was let down by lackluster tires. That's a problem Lexus needs to address if they want to play here, especially with a F trim IS.

From the reading the BMW wasn't the best handler, it was the more balanced car in terms of competent handling even though it has a soft sport suspension, better seats, iDrive, basically a better package, which is what a BMW 3 series has always been about. The ATS kicked both of the other cars butts in the slalom by a long shot.

But as I said, this is a BMW 3 series, and we all love us some 3 series.
Still, to better a product one must be honest with themselves.
The problem, I fear, is that with the 328i winning it's comparo's among the modes it compete's with, BMW is not going to be so inclined to address some of the things that many of us want them to address.
Namely, those things are the soft sport suspension and lack luster steering.
The 335i does get knocked for those things, so hopefully BMW will take it seriously and address those things. But, considering the 328i variant clearly outsells the 335i, those fixes may not be coming so quickly.
I think BMW has realized that if they want to sell greater volumes of cars, they need to distance themselves from the image of being a "driver's car". And now they can make extra money selling M performance parts to those who want a more engaging drive. Seems like a business plan that is playing out.
      05-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #118
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

I think the 328 is the better purchase for anyone who doesn't have an explicit need for the 335's added power. That's not an especially new thing though; the same was true in the E9x cars.

The added power of the 335 is nice. You can sense it immediately. Practically, though, how often can that power bump really be useful? Especially in contrast with the better fuel economy and lower price...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #119
tuned2ride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, S5 SB, looking for a M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I think the 328 is the better purchase for anyone who doesn't have an explicit need for the 335's added power. That's not an especially new thing though; the same was true in the E9x cars.

The added power of the 335 is nice. You can sense it immediately. Practically, though, how often can that power bump really be useful? Especially in contrast with the better fuel economy and lower price...
It isn't not only about power. The N55 transforms the car and gives it a much sportier and involving character. The sound is addicting.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #120
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuned2ride View Post
It isn't not only about power. The N55 transforms the car and gives it a much sportier and involving character. The sound is addicting.
That's true, but in the stepped-up power range, there are, according to the press anyway, better choices, whereas in the 328's class, there aren't.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #121
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
That's true, but in the stepped-up power range, there are, according to the press anyway, better choices, whereas in the 328's class, there aren't.
This.

I find less convincing 328 alternatives than I did the 335.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 11:55 PM   #122
BayernBMW
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 Mineral Gray Manual

BMW All the way in this particular segment!
Appreciate 0