F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > F30 CIC, can it function without combox
proTUNING Freaks

02-23-2014, 10:19 AM   #1
vitchie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Garage List
F30 CIC, can it function without combox

Hi guys

I want to do a NAV retrofit in my South African F30. I don't want to order from overseas ebay etc, so going look for a unit from a local scrapyard. First prize would be a NBT, but havent found one yet, so might settle for a CIC. I have base headunit without combox. So I have basic bluetooth which I am happy with.

Can CIC be retrofitted this way, in other word does CIC also have built in basic bluetooth and USB? I don't need extended bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Navigation will work but the Armrest USB port and all Bluetooth functions cannot work without the combox. The only way you will be able to play music is by using the Beige USB port on the back of the CIC and loading music into the hard drive.

The radio connector is different for Champ2 and CIC as CIC uses one single wire and Champ2 uses two.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
vitchie
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
Navigation will work but the Armrest USB port and all Bluetooth functions cannot work without the combox. The only way you will be able to play music is by using the Beige USB port on the back of the CIC and loading music into the hard drive.

The radio connector is different for Champ2 and CIC as CIC uses one single wire and Champ2 uses two.
Thanks Aritaurus. Didn't know about the antenna's, found it now in the big NBT thread. Question, I south africa there isn't really any AM stations, just fm. Will the Champ2's black FM connector fit in the CIC's FM+AM port and give me FM reception?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitchie View Post
Thanks Aritaurus. Didn't know about the antenna's, found it now in the big NBT thread. Question, I south africa there isn't really any AM stations, just fm. Will the Champ2's black FM connector fit in the CIC's FM+AM port and give me FM reception?
It could be different based on region. I'd open it up and have a look if you have the chance.

You might be able to get away with just plugging one of the wires into the FM port to get it to work.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
vitchie
Private
Rep

Garage List
Thanks!
Appreciate 0