F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > When to buy; LCI / other updates?
European Auto Source (EAS)

09-01-2014, 01:08 AM   #23
tturedraider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 Sonora E90 330i sport pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
ED discounts the base price of a car (not options) by 7%. Any ED car that's not in high demand (read "not a brand new model") can be had for $500-$1000 over invoice (which is also 7% off MSRP). $57K MSRP means you will easily find a dealer who'll sell you this car with ED for $51K.

The other forum (replace "post" with "fest") has a large group of salesmen who specialize in low margin high volume ED transactions.
OP, the 'fest has an entire forum dedicated to ED with more information on it than you can fathom.

www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 03:00 AM   #24
NorCalAthlete
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
ED discounts the base price of a car (not options) by 7%. Any ED car that's not in high demand (read "not a brand new model") can be had for $500-$1000 over invoice (which is also 7% off MSRP). $57K MSRP means you will easily find a dealer who'll sell you this car with ED for $51K.

The other forum (replace "post" with "fest") has a large group of salesmen who specialize in low margin high volume ED transactions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
OP, the 'fest has an entire forum dedicated to ED with more information on it than you can fathom.
So I've discovered thanks. New pricing from USAA over the phone vs their website was "We can knock $5k off that $57k no problem today. As a matter of fact, there's two cars that are almost identical matches to your order coming into the US in the next couple months, the orders were just placed by dealers. We'd just have to trade them a 435 from your local dealership to get it to you. It's the exact same packages and options and color combo, except instead of the standalone nav it's the full tech package." Haven't figured out exactly what ED would save me yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepats81 View Post
dont punish yourself. Just lease now. You can get a good deal. Then in 3 years you can switch over to the LCI 435.
Not a fan of leasing. Never done it admittedly, but just never saw the point unless I was going to be swapping vehicles every 2-3 years. Which, at the current time, I can't afford to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaM3 View Post
what are some good computer science programs in the bay area???
I'm at SJSU. UC Santa Cruz supposedly has a good program. Stanford of course has an outstanding program, and you can take courses from MIT, Princeton, and Stanford through Coursera for free which is what I'm doing to augment my classes at SJSU. There's several different "boot camp" programs if you just want to dive in as a web programming rather than study computer science. College of San Mateo, Foothill College, De Anza College, pretty much all the peninsula colleges offer intro courses for computer science to get you started.

As for companies hiring CompSci grads, there's plenty in the bay area. A lot of people hate on Apple saying it's a slave driving work environment; call me a sucker for punishment but I kinda like that. It's a productive environment that I think will be a great place to work despite the frustrations in that everyone is driven, competent, and similar to the military there's a "make it happen" attitude. I don't work there, but do plan on applying. Starting salaries are $100k+ depending on how well you nail the interviews I'm told. I have friends, classmates, and neighbors clearing $150k easy from Apple, and they're either fresh grads or haven't even graduated yet just really know their stuff. Hoping to join them in the near future
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 12:58 AM   #25
buckybadger
BMW forever!
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
So I've discovered thanks. New pricing from USAA over the phone vs their website was "We can knock $5k off that $57k no problem today. As a matter of fact, there's two cars that are almost identical matches to your order coming into the US in the next couple months, the orders were just placed by dealers. We'd just have to trade them a 435 from your local dealership to get it to you. It's the exact same packages and options and color combo, except instead of the standalone nav it's the full tech package." Haven't figured out exactly what ED would save me yet.

Not a fan of leasing. Never done it admittedly, but just never saw the point unless I was going to be swapping vehicles every 2-3 years. Which, at the current time, I can't afford to do.

I'm at SJSU. UC Santa Cruz supposedly has a good program. Stanford of course has an outstanding program, and you can take courses from MIT, Princeton, and Stanford through Coursera for free which is what I'm doing to augment my classes at SJSU. There's several different "boot camp" programs if you just want to dive in as a web programming rather than study computer science. College of San Mateo, Foothill College, De Anza College, pretty much all the peninsula colleges offer intro courses for computer science to get you started.

As for companies hiring CompSci grads, there's plenty in the bay area. A lot of people hate on Apple saying it's a slave driving work environment; call me a sucker for punishment but I kinda like that. It's a productive environment that I think will be a great place to work despite the frustrations in that everyone is driven, competent, and similar to the military there's a "make it happen" attitude. I don't work there, but do plan on applying. Starting salaries are $100k+ depending on how well you nail the interviews I'm told. I have friends, classmates, and neighbors clearing $150k easy from Apple, and they're either fresh grads or haven't even graduated yet just really know their stuff. Hoping to join them in the near future
I have a BSEE and MS Comp. Engr. I went to schools in the mid-west (Purdue & UW-Madison). I took a lot of courses with the CS Dept. in both my schools but focused mainly on computer architecture/hardware and chip design. I understand both sides of the coin when it comes to computers/electronics, i.e. hardware and software

For Undergrad, all schools are almost the same (Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA etc.) in California. For Masters, it shouldn't matter much as well. But for PhD its a different story. I believe it also depends on how famous your PhD advisor is in the area of interest. For example, you could have a great PhD adviser in UCLA so you would be better of doing your PhD from UCLA vs. Stanford/Berkeley. It all depends!

As far as brand name goes, of course, Stanford, Berkeley and Caltech are the best in California (Caltech is the MIT of the west coast).

Overall, CMU, Cornell, UW-Madison, UT-Austin etc. there are tons of schools in the nation having great CS programs.

I've got friends from Stanford who are just doing okay jobs and also friends who went to normal programs and making a lot, working at Google/LinkedIn/start-ups and the likes.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 01:04 AM   #26
buckybadger
BMW forever!
Rep
Drives: BMW

Also I thought $100K is just normal in the bay area for engineers? The living expenses are quite high IMO and also from what I've heard.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #27
manicottiK
Private
Rep
Drives: 530i (2017 G30)

Switching back to LCI issues...

Is it correct that the only new engine config that might be available for delivery in the U.S. before March 2016 is the possible 328e/330e?

Is there any pre-release info on its motors?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #28
NorCalAthlete
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by deznium View Post
Also I thought $100K is just normal in the bay area for engineers? The living expenses are quite high IMO and also from what I've heard.
That's more or less what I'm hearing. Graduate with a CS degree and you're looking at $100k + benefits minimum just for a company's offer to be competitive. Internships start around $25/hour but can hit $30/hour, which is easily comparable to full time jobs for other degrees. Living expenses ARE pretty high - gas is $4.09 a gallon and going up again in the next few months due to a new higher gas tax our esteemed politicians decided was a good idea. My rent is $1500 for my half of a 2 bedroom apartment, at the upper end of the middle class style apartments (pool, hot tub, gym, theater, etc but nothing spectacular, not downtown, could easily be paying double that). That's probably the two biggest differences between here and the rest of the country/world - rent and gas. But hey, on the plus side we don't get penalized per cylinder (aside from minor differences in insurance) unlike parts of EU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicottiK View Post

Is it correct that the only new engine config that might be available for delivery in the U.S. before March 2016 is the possible 328e/330e?

My understanding from this and other threads is the 3 series gets the new engine 2016, 4 series waits till 2017. I think I'll be ordering in December timing for a delivery just before my birthday in March. It's what, 8-10 weeks to build and ship? Or is that just ship time?

Last edited by NorCalAthlete; 09-03-2014 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #29
ynguldyn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:

No, there'll also be the B58 for 340i at LCI.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #30
tturedraider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 Sonora E90 330i sport pkg

Quote:

eta models? ? First mention I've heard of that. Do you have sources?

www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 01:15 PM   #31
ynguldyn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
eta models? ? First mention I've heard of that. Do you have sources?
PHEV, not eta. Look at my "updates" thread in the general discussion area.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 01:52 PM   #32
manicottiK
Private
Rep
Drives: 530i (2017 G30)

Quote:
No, there'll also be the B58 for 340i at LCI.
Ah, thanks. So, did I parse the update correct to learn that the "only" new F30 engines that will become available for pick-up by February 2016 are these two?
F30 335i LCI SOP 07/15. Re-engine with B58B30M0 for 335i.
F30 328E LCI SOP 11/15. Introduction of 328E with XB1141M0.

Do we have any more info on why B58 is an improvement (power, weight, economy, etch)? Do we know anything more on XB1141? (I did Google, but didn't find much, except our threads in these forums.)
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #33
ynguldyn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ah, thanks. So, did I parse the update correct to learn that the "only" new F30 engines that will become available for pick-up by February 2016 are these two?
F30 335i LCI SOP 07/15. Re-engine with B58B30M0 for 335i.
F30 328E LCI SOP 11/15. Introduction of 328E with XB1141M0.
As far as I can tell, yes.
Quote:
Do we have any more info on why B58 is an improvement (power, weight, economy, etch)? Do we know anything more on XB1141? (I did Google, but didn't find much, except our threads in these forums.)
B58 should add 20-30hp. It's likely the emphasis is still on economy, with just enough power increase to remain competitive.

The PHEV powertrain is a B48 motor with a still unknown electric motor added.
Appreciate 0