F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > DES sport mode vs shift lever sport driving mode?
proTUNING Freaks

03-08-2016, 05:30 PM   #1
jrod33084
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M sport

DES sport mode vs shift lever sport driving mode?

I have the 8 speed automatic and I'm just wondering if there's a difference between these two "sport" modes? I can select sport mode with the DES or move the shift lever over to sport driving mode and still not have to shift manually when doing so, unless I move the lever up or down. Then I am required to shift manually. Are both these modes the same hypothetically speaking? Lol
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 06:10 PM   #2
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod33084 View Post
Are both these modes the same hypothetically speaking? Lol
Nope, if you're referring to Comfort / Sport mode switch vs. moving the shift lever over, there are differences.

Highly recommend you give the feature a try because there are about a bazillion threads on this.
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2016, 06:13 PM   #3
jrod33084
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay
Quote:
Are both these modes the same hypothetically speaking? Lol
Nope, if you're referring to Comfort / Sport mode switch vs. moving the shift lever over, there are differences.

Highly recommend you give the feature a try because there are about a bazillion threads on this.
Sorry about that. I guess I have to do a little more lurking.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 07:01 PM   #4
Bleser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 ///M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
In short, the lever is just sport transmission shift points and gear holding.

Sport Mode changes steering feel, throttle response, exhaust valve operation, and suspension tuning if equipped with adaptive dampers.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 07:38 PM   #5
jrod33084
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleser
In short, the lever is just sport transmission shift points and gear holding.

Sport Mode changes steering feel, throttle response, exhaust valve operation, and suspension tuning if equipped with adaptive dampers.
Ahhh ok thank you for clearing that up for me. I was under the impression that sport mode with the DES also changed gear shift points as well. But I guess it doesn't mess with the transmission
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 08:02 AM   #6
CRJdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 & F82

Quote:
Ahhh ok thank you for clearing that up for me. I was under the impression that sport mode with the DES also changed gear shift points as well. But I guess it doesn't mess with the transmission
But it does...its very confusing I know!
DS/S or M:
Shift speed change between Normal, Fast, Very Fast
DS/S holds 2 gear lower, depending on how you drive in D it can be very aggressive (it learns your driving style)

Drive modes gets:
Throttle response, steering, suspension of non passive and exhaust burble, exhaust farts (Sport+ 3k and above WOT shifts)

It ALSO raise shifts point and gives downshift engine braking in Sport and Sport+
Under normal throttle input expect:
Eco Pro <1.5K Normal 2K Sport 2.5-3K Sport+ 3K-3.5K

For me I find Sport+ and D or Full Manual to be the best.
S likes to hold 5K when your passing a cop, downshifts 4 gear and light the rears up to pass a Prius...it's a bit idiotic on the streets, its meant for track use, when your either accelerating or braking.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 08:18 AM   #7
jrod33084
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJdriver
Quote:
DS/S or M:
DS/S holds 2 gear lower, depending on how you drive in D it can be very aggressive (it learns your driving style)

Drive modes gets:
Throttle response, steering, suspension of non passive and exhaust burble, exhaust farts (Sport+ 3k and above WOT shifts)

It ALSO raise shifts point and gives downshift engine braking in Sport and Sport+

S likes to hold 5K when your passing a cop, downshifts 4 gear and light the rears up to pass a Prius...it's a bit idiotic on the streets, its meant for track use, when your either accelerating or braking.
Thank you for the detailed explanation. That does help me understand now because I have notice when I drive in Eco mode how low my rpms are when it shifts automatically. It also seems a whole lot faster when in full manual. I guess your explanation of the gears shifting faster explains that feeling. Now I know which modes I should drive in haha
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 02:22 PM   #8
Lcfcno1fan
Private
Rep
Drives: 435d xdrive msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod33084
Quote:
Quote:
DS/S or M:

Drive modes gets:

Thank you for the detailed explanation. That does help me understand now because I have notice when I drive in Eco mode how low my rpms are when it shifts automatically. It also seems a whole lot faster when in full manual. I guess your explanation of the gears shifting faster explains that feeling. Now I know which modes I should drive in haha
What's 'Eco mode' ??
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #9
jrod33084
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcfcno1fan
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
DS/S or M:

Drive modes gets:

What's 'Eco mode' ??
Mode for fuel efficiency. Cuts power and rpms down to save on gas. Also uses auto start/stop function, if desired.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 02:37 PM   #10
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Gran Coupe (2015)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcfcno1fan View Post
What's 'Eco mode' ??
haha!
My Ride! : 2015 428i GC (F36) - MSport, Alpine, Black Leather, MBrakes, Adaptive, Sport Seats, Hex. Alum w/Piano, HK Sound, 400m's, Comfort Acc. When I’m not Driving: https://youtube.com/shorts/ViKD_Hj5htE?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 02:39 PM   #11
Lcfcno1fan
Private
Rep
Drives: 435d xdrive msport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
DS/S or M:

Drive modes gets:

What's 'Eco mode' ??
Mode for fuel efficiency. Cuts power and rpms down to save on gas. Also uses auto start/stop function, if desired.
I think I may have accidentally went into this mode once and thought I'd broke the car......
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 02:42 PM   #12
jrod33084
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
DS/S or M:

Drive modes gets:

What's 'Eco mode' ??
I think I may have accidentally went into this mode once and thought I'd broke the car......
Haha I use it for highway driving mainly.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 06:05 PM   #13
Emilim
Dust Bunny
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 328i xDrive M Sport

Here we go again:
      03-11-2016, 08:56 PM   #14
jrod33084
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilim
Here we go again:
Well I'll be damned. Great find my friend! That explains it all. I've only owned my 328i for a few weeks now and this is what I needed to know. Thank you!
Appreciate 0