F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Replacing Tires on a CPO... Help?
Extreme Powerhouse

09-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #1
DrPhant0m
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 335xGT M, Estoril Blue

Replacing Tires on a CPO... Help?

Hi. I purchased my '14 335GT as a CPO, and I ready to put new tires on it.

This was my first CPO purchase, and I understand that I have to put BMW-approved tires on it to maintain the CPO warranty.

The car came with 4x Pirelli Cinturato P7 run-flat tires, rated at 99V.

If I would buy the same tire, only in a 95V... would I still be covered? By my calculation, the 95V would still cover the GVWR on the sticker by 1000lb. However, the tire placard says "XL" meaning 99V. Will the dealership give me trouble for putting 95V tires on?

Also... I have the opportunity to buy tires that have 9.5mm tread depth, but they've been professionally patched, and the work is warranted. The price on these is really low, and if I got a screw in a brand new tire, I'd patch it instead of buy another one. Will this affect my CPO warranty? And, is it even OK to patch a run flat tire?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 01:36 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I doubt that tires would affect CPO, since CPO doesn't cover tires anyway. Both 95 and 99 weight ranges are listed as replacements, so that shouldn't be an issue either. Using tires that have been patched is OK as well. Again, whatever warranty issues you'd have with respect to the tires you get, be they new or used, are going to be with where you buy the tires, not your BMW dealer or BMWNA.

Star RSC BMW are those that meet BMW standards. There's no rule that says you have to use them, other than with a lease, where you have to return the car with all BMW approved parts.

Where patching run flats is concerned they can be patched like any other tire, provided that the sidewalls aren't damaged. The problem is that the sidewalls can be damaged after driving on them for only a few miles or less when flat. If they're patched they might fail from the sidewall damage, and neither the tire manufacturers nor most chain tire shops are willing to expose themselves to potential liability if that happens. Rather than examine them to be sure that the sidewall is OK they just say don't patch them.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

It is not required for CPO and you can get RF nor NON-RF tires, provided they are the correct size.

I would not purchase patched RF tires, guaranteed or not. No one knows how long they were driven on flat and could be compromised!

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 01:14 PM   #4
madmonkey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White

Garage List
If I may add to good points above - try to pick tires that closely match or exceeds the speed rating of the stock tires so you don't have any weird performance issues.
Appreciate 0