F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Avin USA 10.25 android system install DIY
GetBMWParts

11-28-2017, 02:25 PM   #1057
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevDon92 View Post
Will it still charge my iPhone/stream Tidal without the CarPlay adapter?
Yes, you do get power through the USB ports.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 02:26 PM   #1058
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbracerx1 View Post
How to tell v1 vs v2. I’m e series with cic.
Well if you haven't ordered yet, any new are absolutely V2 so shouldn't be a worry.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 02:30 PM   #1059
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouma View Post
Guys, I am interested to buy this unit however I have some questions that need your advise..

1- I cant choose the 2011-2012 model or 2013-2016 becauwe my car is model 2013 however production date is 2012-07-04..Asked Tommy and he told me to check screen connector if its CIC or NBT..but its a hassle to unplug the screen to check such connector and get it back again especially that I never uninstalled the dashboard of mine..Anyone can advise whether mine can be CIC or NBT? I have a very basic head unit 6.6 inch without navigation or combox..

2- Can we still use original BMW bluetooth mic? Or I have to buy another mic for the android system to work? The same applies for the USB..

3- I heard there are a lot of problems in navigation and that it delays or sometimes hang and never work..

4- I heard that the screen gets hot during navigation and in summer specially..

5- I saw some people experience problems with audio quality and some with screen brightness..are these issues still there with the updated ID6 system and software upgrade that was just issued?

6- Any recommendations whether to proced or not..especially that I believe these systems will devaluate the car price if I decided to sell it...but the thing is that I really got bored of tje car..

Thanks dears.
1. Great question but pulling the display isn't hard so worst case scenario and you have to do that, it only takes a few minutes. Maybe pull your VIN and it might show what build you have? There are a bunch of VIN lookup tools online.

2. You will use a secondary mic if you want that for the android side, I didn't install it personally and didn't need it.

3. I have a V1 (and soon V2 model) but really not had any GPS or navigation issues. I have alternated using Sygic or the HERE app for navigation, and not had any real delays or issues.

4. I haven't had any issues with my V1, but have heard those with V1s and now V2s (and saw that problem) don't have it anymore.

5. The first build of my V1 display had sound (from the android side) that sounded pretty muffled but was addressed in the next build. Brightness has never been an issue, but that could just be me.

6. I cant imagine it would devalue your car, but WORST case scenario, keep your original display and just 20min swap it back in if/when you sell the car.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 02:31 PM   #1060
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Has anyone identified in the wiring harness which line or connection is the factory microphone in the headliner? I haven't been able to figure that out myself.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 03:27 PM   #1061
a803sgo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M-SPORT (F30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravijordan View Post
Can someone who has the new update for 22-11-2017 pm me
Contact Tommy, he'll send you a link.

Quote:
What’s the average shipping time on these?
5 days to the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
How exactly does Android auto work with these units, is it built in or simply screen mirroring. I have a google pixel and it's impossible to mirror without chrome cast.
The screens got Android built in.

UPDATE: my gen2 is in and the GPS is now working BUT it now gives me a "no signal" on a cold boot, if I turn the car fully off and back on it boots fine.

Running the latest update, will be contacting Tommy, hopefully can be fixed with a new patch as I don't want to spend more money sending this one back also.

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 03:47 PM   #1062
KevDon92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Would I still be able to use Tidal through my iPhone and the USB port on the unit? I want to charge it rather than use Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 04:40 PM   #1063
Shouma
Enlisted Member
Egypt
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
1. Great question but pulling the display isn't hard so worst case scenario and you have to do that, it only takes a few minutes. Maybe pull your VIN and it might show what build you have? There are a bunch of VIN lookup tools online.

2. You will use a secondary mic if you want that for the android side, I didn't install it personally and didn't need it.

3. I have a V1 (and soon V2 model) but really not had any GPS or navigation issues. I have alternated using Sygic or the HERE app for navigation, and not had any real delays or issues.

4. I haven't had any issues with my V1, but have heard those with V1s and now V2s (and saw that problem) don't have it anymore.

5. The first build of my V1 display had sound (from the android side) that sounded pretty muffled but was addressed in the next build. Brightness has never been an issue, but that could just be me.

6. I cant imagine it would devalue your car, but WORST case scenario, keep your original display and just 20min swap it back in if/when you sell the car.

Hope that helps.
Thanks loadz raichean for spending time to answer all my questions..Cheers bro.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 06:12 PM   #1064
KevDon92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Can’t decide if the CarPlay adapter is worth it...I’m ordering tonight! I don’t need it if my Tidal will stream through the regular USB on the unit
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 06:44 PM   #1065
prodogs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40ei

Quote:
Can’t decide if the CarPlay adapter is worth it...I’m ordering tonight! I don’t need it if my Tidal will stream through the regular USB on the unit
I have the CarPlay and it works well if you want a very simple interface. However, you can only use Apple Maps - which I think is CRAP. I use WAZE so the CarPlay sits in my center hub. But if you like Apple Maps its not a bad choice.

Just an FYI - I have problems with CarPlay when my bluetooth is connected to the device so make sure you are not connected or you may suffer start and start music like I did.
2010 X5 M Sport - sold
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 06:47 PM   #1066
prodogs
Private
United_States
Rep

Always On ?

It would be a great option if you could attach a battery to keep the device in a sleep mode when u turn the car off. I realize that the battery may only last a few days.

Its not that the start up is bad but its just a pain to not have everything open like when I left it.

Guess I too used to the way my phone works.

Anyway Tommy (AVIN) if your listening think about a battery option to keep the unit in a sleep mode until you start her up again.
2010 X5 M Sport - sold
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 06:53 PM   #1067
KevDon92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodogs View Post
I have the CarPlay and it works well if you want a very simple interface. However, you can only use Apple Maps - which I think is CRAP. I use WAZE so the CarPlay sits in my center hub. But if you like Apple Maps its not a bad choice.

Just an FYI - I have problems with CarPlay when my bluetooth is connected to the device so make sure you are not connected or you may suffer start and start music like I did.
How would audio playback work via USB without the CarPlay adapter?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 04:15 AM   #1068
madmunky
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Quote:
It depends on how you store your music if you use Apple Music then your best options are CarPlay or the Bluetooth Music player but CarPlay is the much better option personally as you get a really nice interface and its a lot quicker to use than trying to run applications on the head unit, the only down side to CarPlay is the limit applications currently, hopefully Waze/Google will release a CarPlay compliant version at some point otherwise the other options are to jailbreak your phone.

If you use something else like Spotify you can always load the Spotify application on the head unit and play the songs directly from that.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 04:17 AM   #1069
madmunky
Private
Rep

Quote:

How do you fine Waze running on the head unit, i find it really slow so just stick with Apple Maps running via CarPlay, not a nice for the traffic information that Waze has but I just found Waze to slow running directly.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 04:19 AM   #1070
madmunky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
Has anyone identified in the wiring harness which line or connection is the factory microphone in the headliner? I haven't been able to figure that out myself.

Thanks!
No I asked the same thing to Tommy, if anyone works out how to splice it in I think the quality would be a lot better, I only really want it for Siri via CarPlay
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 04:31 AM   #1071
Ravijordan
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a803sgo View Post
Contact Tommy, he'll send you a link.

5 days to the UK.

The screens got Android built in.

UPDATE: my gen2 is in and the GPS is now working BUT it now gives me a "no signal" on a cold boot, if I turn the car fully off and back on it boots fine.

Running the latest update, will be contacting Tommy, hopefully can be fixed with a new patch as I don't want to spend more money sending this one back also.

Yes did contact Tommy but he’s only giving software out to whoever bought of him so no luck there😩
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 06:19 AM   #1072
KevDon92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmunky View Post
It depends on how you store your music if you use Apple Music then your best options are CarPlay or the Bluetooth Music player but CarPlay is the much better option personally as you get a really nice interface and its a lot quicker to use than trying to run applications on the head unit, the only down side to CarPlay is the limit applications currently, hopefully Waze/Google will release a CarPlay compliant version at some point otherwise the other options are to jailbreak your phone.

If you use something else like Spotify you can always load the Spotify application on the head unit and play the songs directly from that.
I actually use Tidal for streaming music. I prefer to charge my phone while using it, so I’d have it connected to the USB. Would I still be able to control it from my phone without the CarPlay?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 06:24 AM   #1073
madmunky
Private
Rep

Quote:
I actually use Tidal for streaming music. I prefer to charge my phone while using it, so I’d have it connected to the USB. Would I still be able to control it from my phone without the CarPlay?
I've not heard of Tidal before but looks like there is a Tidal android application so you could use that or pair the phone via bluetooth to the headunit and try the built in media player I would have expected that to work.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 09:27 AM   #1074
KevDon92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've not heard of Tidal before but looks like there is a Tidal android application so you could use that or pair the phone via bluetooth to the headunit and try the built in media player I would have expected that to work.
It’s a streaming service like Spotify...gotcha so I won’t be able to control the music while connected to the plain USB, only if connected via Bluetooth or with added CarPlay?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 12:31 PM   #1075
prodogs
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How do you fine Waze running on the head unit, i find it really slow so just stick with Apple Maps running via CarPlay, not a nice for the traffic information that Waze has but I just found Waze to slow running directly.
its a bit slow on startup but after that it I have not had any issues. My frustration is with my iPhone hotspot automatically connecting. Seems like I always have to give it a kick by going into wifi setup :-(
2010 X5 M Sport - sold
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 12:33 PM   #1076
prodogs
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
actually have not tried this so not sure if/how works. I use bluetooth which works great so far.
2010 X5 M Sport - sold
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 12:48 PM   #1077
KevDon92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
actually have not tried this so not sure if/how works. I use bluetooth which works great so far.
Any chance you could check when you have some free time? I’d greatly appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 01:46 PM   #1078
madmunky
Private
Rep

Quote:
its a bit slow on startup but after that it I have not had any issues. My frustration is with my iPhone hotspot automatically connecting. Seems like I always have to give it a kick by going into wifi setup :-(
This is by design, if a device is not actively using a hotspot it will deactivate the service to save battery until you open up the hotspot again on your phone.

That was always one of my issues, having to pair up the phones wireless for applications like Google Maps/Waze.
Appreciate 0