F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Upcoming BMW model pipeline preview info - from G29 and G06 to F92 and beyond
Extreme Power House
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-28-2017, 11:05 AM   #1563
IS3andME
Major
404
Rep
1,127
Posts

Drives: Lexus IS300
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Yeah, not sure where it will end. The market demands more HP with each rendition, as well as lower 0-60 times. Car manufacturers all play the game to keep up, with BMW being arguably slightly slower than MB or Audi to bow to market pressures (at least with their M cars). Any number of inexpensive modern cars can beat my E39 M5 and Z4M coupe to 60 mph these days, but my older Ms are so fun to drive because you can actually use a lot of their power in daily driving. Not so much with my F80, between how powerful it is and the need to not go sideways on the street! The F80 is a fun car, but to really understand it you almost have to be on a track.

Sure, I want a modern version of the E39 M5 for my next DD - it would be lighter due to aluminum and composite carbon, MT only (hah!), RWD, 400 hp, 370 lb ft, normally aspirated. A last hurrah, then, before electric cars take over the earth (and I have to admit, I DO worry about pollution). Unfortunately, I'd probably be the only buyer...
You want a modern version of the e39 M5? Look no further than the Chevy SS. And they stopped making them a few months ago. Also, people and cops will ignore it, because they all think you are driving a rental Malibu. A true "wolf in sheep's clothing", just like the original M5
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 10:17 AM   #1564
davewolfs
Private
9
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: Mineral White ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

It would be nice if a BMW M could keep up with a Camaro!
Appreciate 1
FSociety2643.00

      01-09-2018, 12:03 PM   #1565
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
4004
Rep
17,493
Posts

Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Motor Authority is reporting that the US 540d (which, as has been discussed before, is really the 530d sold in other parts of the world) is finally coming in February. As yndulgyn predicted, this will be AWD only, at least at launch.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #1566
squeaky
Private First Class
United_States
27
Rep
126
Posts

Drives: 330i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Motor Authority is reporting that the US 540d (which, as has been discussed before, is really the 530d sold in other parts of the world) is finally coming in February. As yndulgyn predicted, this will be AWD only, at least at launch.
It's already on fueleconomy.gov.

http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=39820
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 09:08 PM   #1567
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
4004
Rep
17,493
Posts

Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaky View Post
That’s good news too, but to my knowledge there is no way to determine a vehicle’s release date based on when that info appears. The Motor Authority report was the first I’d seen of an actual release date.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 10:53 PM   #1568
squeaky
Private First Class
United_States
27
Rep
126
Posts

Drives: 330i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaky View Post
That┬’s good news too, but to my knowledge there is no way to determine a vehicle┬’s release date based on when that info appears. The Motor Authority report was the first I┬’d seen of an actual release date.
Sooner than later, I'd guess, as I've seen in the past where fuel economy figures for cars already on sale aren't yet listed on the site. I wonder if they'll surprise us with an announcement at NAIAS.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 02:00 PM   #1569
NH_F36
BMW Client Advisor
NH_F36's Avatar
331
Rep
631
Posts

Drives: 440GC / 135i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tulley BMW Nashua, NH

iTrader: (0)

I have a 540D that is slated to be built in Feb.
__________________
BMW Client Advisor in NH.
PIA & COE winner.
M Performance Specialist.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #1570
x5mannn
Private First Class
54
Rep
171
Posts

Drives: 2010 X5 4.8
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post
I have a 540D that is slated to be built in Feb.
How do you do that, it's not on BMW USA build your own site?
Does anyone have an update when the Z4 is on sale in USA?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 02:32 PM   #1571
ynguldyn
Lieutenant Colonel
1393
Rep
1,504
Posts

Drives: the other car.
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Expect G02 PR any day now.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 03:24 PM   #1572
swagon
Brigadier General
swagon's Avatar
No_Country
3934
Rep
4,472
Posts

Drives: E82|F80|6MT
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Expect G02 PR any day now.
F87 PR too this month?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 10:31 AM   #1573
Erpicum
New Member
39
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: Bmw 628csi e24
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Hi SCOTT26 ,

I once saw a post of you where you wrote that we could always send you a private message if we wanted to ask something. It seems like it's unable to send you because you got too many messages so I ask it over here, I think i'm not the only one who i curious about this.

I'm already an long time reader on this forum and followed all your posts the last 4 years (I guess).

A time ago you wrote a post about the future 6 series. Back then little was known about the 8 series. So I was wondering: is their still a replacement for the 6 series planned? (Not the 6gt but for the coupe, convertible and grancoupe)

If yes, when will we be able to see it? When will it hit the market and of course: will it be more like the e24, e9?

I have no idea if you're able and allowed to share this kind of information but I was thinking: asking never hurts

Kind regards
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #1574
NH_F36
BMW Client Advisor
NH_F36's Avatar
331
Rep
631
Posts

Drives: 440GC / 135i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tulley BMW Nashua, NH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erpicum View Post
Hi SCOTT26 ,

I once saw a post of you where you wrote that we could always send you a private message if we wanted to ask something. It seems like it's unable to send you because you got too many messages so I ask it over here, I think i'm not the only one who i curious about this.

I'm already an long time reader on this forum and followed all your posts the last 4 years (I guess).

A time ago you wrote a post about the future 6 series. Back then little was known about the 8 series. So I was wondering: is their still a replacement for the 6 series planned? (Not the 6gt but for the coupe, convertible and grancoupe)

If yes, when will we be able to see it? When will it hit the market and of course: will it be more like the e24, e9?

I have no idea if you're able and allowed to share this kind of information but I was thinking: asking never hurts

Kind regards
The 8 series is replacing the 6 Series.
__________________
BMW Client Advisor in NH.
PIA & COE winner.
M Performance Specialist.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 09:54 AM   #1575
teaston
General
teaston's Avatar
United Kingdom
6510
Rep
24,116
Posts

Drives: 335d M Sport Plus
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norfolk 'n' Good

iTrader: (1)

ynguldyn Autocar seem to think the M340i will have 360bhp:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...formance-model

Could be right, or do you think your claim of 380hp is still correct?
__________________
Current: LCI F30 335d M Sport Plus in BSM/CR
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 10:11 AM   #1576
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
4004
Rep
17,493
Posts

Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
ynguldyn Autocar seem to think the M340i will have 360bhp:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...formance-model

Could be right, or do you think your claim of 380hp is still correct?
I'm not ynguldyn obviously, but keep in mind that magazines typically make rough guesses at power output for upcoming models based on the fact that engines are generally shared throughout the BMW lineup. So 360hp is a good guess based on the X3 M40i. However, from inside info, we know that a new B58 TU is coming sometime this year, and it will bring power increases among other things. The signs say that the G20 will be a benefactor. Is it guarantee? Perhaps not. But I would tend to put more stock in ynguldyn's conclusion than a magazine writer who, were you to ask him, probably has no idea that such an engine update is in the works.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 1
teaston6509.50

      01-23-2018, 10:37 AM   #1577
autopal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
155
Rep
212
Posts

Drives: 2017 340i Xdrive MPPSK
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Saskatoon SK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I'm not ynguldyn obviously, but keep in mind that magazines typically make rough guesses at power output for upcoming models based on the fact that engines are generally shared throughout the BMW lineup. So 360hp is a good guess based on the X3 M40i. However, from inside info, we know that a new B58 TU is coming sometime this year, and it will bring power increases among other things. The signs say that the G20 will be a benefactor. Is it guarantee? Perhaps not. But I would tend to put more stock in ynguldyn's conclusion than a magazine writer who, were you to ask him, probably has no idea that such an engine update is in the works.
I tend to agree that 380ish hp is very reasonable. I'm currently driving 340 with MPPSK and that already have 360hp. Bearing in mind also, BMW is not operating in a vacuum, the competition is fierce, cars like the C43 is almost certain to get power increase, most likely close to the 400 hp mark, and BMW want to make a statement with this the first M340.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 11:05 AM   #1578
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
4004
Rep
17,493
Posts

Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopal View Post
cars like the C43 is almost certain to get power increase, most likely close to the 400 hp mark
Absolutely. I believe the W205 LCI is this year, and the ~390hp version of the M276 V6 that is currently used only in the E43 could easily be put into service in the C43 at that time. There is also the new M256 I6, but prevailing belief seems to be that they will wait for the W206 to put this into the C Class (it should go into the E Class Sedan soon however, which would mean a switch to E53 just like the recently debuted E53 Coupe, E53 Convertible, and CLS53).
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 11:49 AM   #1579
autopal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
155
Rep
212
Posts

Drives: 2017 340i Xdrive MPPSK
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Saskatoon SK

iTrader: (0)

Is BMW taking longer than usual to show the G20? We know it will be a 2019 model year, so I would think it would be available for order late 2018. Wouldn't that mean the reveal is early 2018? Possible Geneva?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 12:18 PM   #1580
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
4004
Rep
17,493
Posts

Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopal View Post
Is BMW taking longer than usual to show the G20? We know it will be a 2019 model year, so I would think it would be available for order late 2018. Wouldn't that mean the reveal is early 2018? Possible Geneva?
No. Geneva would be much too early. The F30 was revealed in October of its launch year via a live stream. More recently, the G30 was also revealed in October for its November launch. It is probably safe to expect something similar for the G20.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 01:42 PM   #1581
ynguldyn
Lieutenant Colonel
1393
Rep
1,504
Posts

Drives: the other car.
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
But I would tend to put more stock in ynguldyn's conclusion than a magazine writer who, were you to ask him, probably has no idea that such an engine update is in the works.
From the clues I've been able to gather, there's just a handful of sources willing to share factual information. Horatiu and his German peers clearly have access to one or several of those. Probably a couple of European mags also do. Everyone else regurgitates those reports or just pulls things out of their asses.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 07:38 PM   #1582
SCOTT26
Major General
SCOTT26's Avatar
2987
Rep
5,165
Posts

Drives: Frozen Dark Red First Edition
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WORLDWIDE

iTrader: (0)

The new 3er debuts towards the end of this year. Which is right on schedule.
Geneva is far too early to show the car and of course there are other more significant launches pencilled in for Geneva.
The launch of the 3er will actually be for the market in Early Spring 2019 which is also the launch of the M340i/M340d models.
The Geneva launches are for cars that go on sale later this Summer.
__________________
Step 1.
Appreciate 1
glennQNYC1211.00

      01-23-2018, 07:47 PM   #1583
ynguldyn
Lieutenant Colonel
1393
Rep
1,504
Posts

Drives: the other car.
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The launch of the 3er will actually be for the market in Early Spring 2019 which is also the launch of the M340i/M340d models.
So the short MY2019 is no go for NA, we'll go straight to MY2020?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 08:36 PM   #1584
SCOTT26
Major General
SCOTT26's Avatar
2987
Rep
5,165
Posts

Drives: Frozen Dark Red First Edition
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WORLDWIDE

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
So the short MY2019 is no go for NA, we'll go straight to MY2020?
Quite. But launch is still early 2019. Similar to F30 and its Spring 2012 launch.
__________________
Step 1.
Appreciate 1
mkoesel4004.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
future bmw, release date, upcoming bmw

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:23 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST