Bimmerpost for Android has just been updated to version 4.3.55 with a host of bug fixes. Try it out!
F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Installed JB+, upgrade to JB4
VIBE Motorsports
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-02-2016, 07:30 PM   #23
Kaps335i
Private
16
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotTea69 View Post
I think JB4 Map 1 is +60WHP Compared to your +35Whp with JB+.
Yeah, that is my assumption based on their website but then people say to stick with what I have unless I plan on other upgrades. A 20WHP gain without any additional mods is pretty significant especially for the cost difference between the two.

Maybe I just need to do the downpipe too and make it all worthwhile.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 12:39 PM   #24
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
112
Rep
640
Posts

Drives: 2015 F32 435i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
What about the BMS N55 Stage1? This should provide a little more power than the JB+ while still super easy to install/remove... right?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 01:58 PM   #25
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
7547
Rep
91,689
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.roro View Post
What about the BMS N55 Stage1? This should provide a little more power than the JB+ while still super easy to install/remove... right?
Correct
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 02:54 PM   #26
Kaps335i
Private
16
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Stage 1 seems like it is only a 5whp gain over JB+ compared to 25whp for the JB4.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 02:56 PM   #27
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
7547
Rep
91,689
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaps335i View Post
Stage 1 seems like it is only a 5whp gain over JB+ compared to 25whp for the JB4.
Jb stage 1 gains are very minimal compared to the JB+
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 06:04 PM   #28
HotTea69
First Lieutenant
United_States
114
Rep
304
Posts

Drives: 2014 F32 AW M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Queens, NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaps335i View Post
Stage 1 seems like it is only a 5whp gain over JB+ compared to 25whp for the JB4.

Just do it and trade it in! No loss for you and you get a faster car !
__________________

AWE Cat Back | BBS - LM | CF M Mirror Caps | CF M Trunk Spoiler | CF R-Style Rear Diffuser | ER Charge Pipe | ER Down Pipe | ER Front Mount Intercooler | Enzo Tuned | Injen SR Intake | M Front Grill
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 09:12 PM   #29
Kaps335i
Private
16
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotTea69 View Post
Just do it and trade it in! No loss for you and you get a faster car !
It is posts like this that make me question wanting to install the JB4. http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1330883
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 11:12 AM   #30
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
112
Rep
640
Posts

Drives: 2015 F32 435i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Jb stage 1 gains are very minimal compared to the JB+
Hm.. if that's the case -- then someone convince me why the Stage 1 is worth $180 (almost 2x) more than the JB+? Are you getting better consistency, ride quality, safety, etc? Or literally just "maybe" +5hp?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 12:11 PM   #31
Kaps335i
Private
16
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

I am thinking I should have just started with the Dinan Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 01:59 PM   #32
HotTea69
First Lieutenant
United_States
114
Rep
304
Posts

Drives: 2014 F32 AW M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Queens, NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaps335i View Post
It is posts like this that make me question wanting to install the JB4. http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1330883
I can definitely understand your concern. In the case of the OP's thread, it turns out he installed the unit incorrectly.

I had mine installed for almost a month so far and have had no issues.
Just wanted to give a little positive reassurance.
__________________

AWE Cat Back | BBS - LM | CF M Mirror Caps | CF M Trunk Spoiler | CF R-Style Rear Diffuser | ER Charge Pipe | ER Down Pipe | ER Front Mount Intercooler | Enzo Tuned | Injen SR Intake | M Front Grill
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 06:32 PM   #33
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
7547
Rep
91,689
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.roro View Post
Hm.. if that's the case -- then someone convince me why the Stage 1 is worth $180 (almost 2x) more than the JB+? Are you getting better consistency, ride quality, safety, etc? Or literally just "maybe" +5hp?
Stage 1 has access to timing as well
It can also datalog boost
Some have reported better power delivery with stage 1
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 09:10 PM   #34
Kaps335i
Private
16
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

OK, I think it is almost time for the JB4 with a downpipe. Question is, what DP to get? Seems like there are A LOT of choices. Here are my requirements in order of importance. Minimal to no drone, horsepower increase, no too expensive.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 09:53 PM   #35
mbanks21
Colonel
605
Rep
2,312
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i MSport
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: St. Pete Florida

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaps335i
OK, I think it is almost time for the JB4 with a downpipe. Question is, what DP to get? Seems like there are A LOT of choices. Here are my requirements in order of importance. Minimal to no drone, horsepower increase, no too expensive.
VRSF
__________________
2015 335i Msport/6 JB4/EWG/E30/VRSF DP/ER CP/ Res Delete/ Injen Intake/Verde Axis 19x8.5/9.5 245/35/275/30 Conti Extreme CS/ H&R Sport / Motorsport Lug Conversion
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 12:38 AM   #36
outspiral
Enlisted Member
4
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i xdrive m-sport
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

What DP did you go with? I'm about to do the jb4. How much does the DP change the sound and do you have stock exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 12:40 AM   #37
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
7547
Rep
91,689
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outspiral View Post
What DP did you go with? I'm about to do the jb4. How much does the DP change the sound and do you have stock exhaust?
DP will add an aggressive tone on cold start and wide open throttle.

Our most popular ones are Wagner, AR Design and VRSF.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 03:15 AM   #38
FastF30
Lieutenant
FastF30's Avatar
119
Rep
401
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

I have a 2015 335i Msport.... Mike said to go with the JB+ since I'm still under warranty... which I'm fine with... only thing scaring me right now is that I read a couple of posts with 2014 charge-pipe failures on stock boost... going to call the dealership and see if I can swap it out for an aftermarket and have them install it to still be on warranty... My question to you Kaps is did you turn up the setting all the way on the JB+ and use 93octane? I read that is when you really feel it... from what I read anyways....

One more thing... I read there is no use changing the intake if only using JB+ since it doesn't have a sensor for it... is that correct? if so ... what about the JB1?

and thanks Mike for your answer on the other thread....I'll be ordering something soon...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 02:37 PM   #39
outspiral
Enlisted Member
4
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i xdrive m-sport
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

what about bm3? I'm new to all this stuff was about to pull the trigger on jb4 but now I'm seeing posts everywhere that bm3 is superior. Honestly I will be pretty much stock for the next year as I don't want to void warranty. And I've seen nothing on how much power bm3 adds vs jb4
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 06:10 PM   #40
FastF30
Lieutenant
FastF30's Avatar
119
Rep
401
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outspiral View Post
what about bm3? I'm new to all this stuff was about to pull the trigger on jb4 but now I'm seeing posts everywhere that bm3 is superior. Honestly I will be pretty much stock for the next year as I don't want to void warranty. And I've seen nothing on how much power bm3 adds vs jb4
I'm kinda new to this but from my understanding... BM3 is a flash tune... which means you have to flash it back to stock before taking it in... as for horsepower... should be inline or little better than JB4 and should be smoother since it's the actual computer and not a piggy back... I'm still worried about the charge pipe...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 06:12 PM   #41
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
7547
Rep
91,689
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
I have a 2015 335i Msport.... Mike said to go with the JB+ since I'm still under warranty... which I'm fine with... only thing scaring me right now is that I read a couple of posts with 2014 charge-pipe failures on stock boost... going to call the dealership and see if I can swap it out for an aftermarket and have them install it to still be on warranty... My question to you Kaps is did you turn up the setting all the way on the JB+ and use 93octane? I read that is when you really feel it... from what I read anyways....

One more thing... I read there is no use changing the intake if only using JB+ since it doesn't have a sensor for it... is that correct? if so ... what about the JB1?

and thanks Mike for your answer on the other thread....I'll be ordering something soon...
My pleasure

I recommend the CTS intake in your case, it is an open air intake that will not throw any code.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 09:43 PM   #42
FastF30
Lieutenant
FastF30's Avatar
119
Rep
401
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
My pleasure

I recommend the CTS intake in your case, it is an open air intake that will not throw any code.
So I guess this goes back to just getting the Mppk which is a factory flash tune and air-inlet.... yes it's $995+install which isn't bad for a piece of mind that it's all covered under warranty... I've got 5years of warranty so split that $1400 for the Mppk comes out to $280 a year... lol... just trying to justify the cost now...

also I think I read somewhere that I can piggyback on top of the Mppk for even more power once the warranty is done... but by then if the economy is good and all that I might buy a M3...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 11:35 PM   #43
FastF30
Lieutenant
FastF30's Avatar
119
Rep
401
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Okay... found this in another thread... might go Mppk w/ JB1 route for now...

"JB1 simple install and out of the box it adds 3.5 PSI of boost on top of whatever you are running. So if MPPK is installed, you will increase the boost by 3.5 psi. Boost increase can be configured via tuning software. I tried 3-4 PSI range, and settled at 3.5. Anything over 4.5 PSI is not recommended as it will trigger hidden tuner codes. Again, THIS IS INCREMENTAL to MPPK!

JB4 - full tune, meaning it completely overrides engine management software. MPPK or factory software gets remapped. The tune is not incremental to MPPK.

I tried both setups and in terms of HP achieved they are very close. I find that JB4 full tune is a little more linear delivery and have bigger potential for HP gains with aftermarkets parts such as catless downpipe, bigger IC, etc.

My preference was MPPK with JB1. It retains MPPK burbles and requires no wire splicing. Ease of removal prior to service appt was huge. Power delivery can be too sudden, particularly in the sport+ throttle setting, something that I learned to manage over time."

"Even though I didn't measure boost pressure, it felt much stronger over the MPPK (I ran with and without JB1 back to back) .. When I bumped JB1 boost to 4.25, it activated wastegate in low gears (1 and 2) under full throttle, which is annoying when attempting to launch. 3.5lbs over MPPK seem to have worked fairly well. I wouldn't venture above that."

Last edited by FastF30; 01-03-2018 at 11:43 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 09:25 PM   #44
outspiral
Enlisted Member
4
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i xdrive m-sport
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
I'm kinda new to this but from my understanding... BM3 is a flash tune... which means you have to flash it back to stock before taking it in... as for horsepower... should be inline or little better than JB4 and should be smoother since it's the actual computer and not a piggy back... I'm still worried about the charge pipe...
That makes sense.. I wonder if some dealers will let a new CP slide since it is a problem on the f30.. is there an MP one? And if I send in DME to get flashed does that mean I'm without a car until it comes back?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:51 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST