F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sport steering in comfort mode
GetBMWParts

05-07-2018, 05:37 AM   #1
Martyn88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 320d Msport shadow edition

Sport steering in comfort mode

Hi everyone. When I have the car in sport or sport plus the steering feels so much better. I find the steering in eco or comfort setting terrible especially when going any speed over 50mph. It just feels too light and like it's not even connected to the wheels. Is it possible to have the sports steering setup when in comfort mode. If not it will be left in sport mode at all times which probably isn't a bad thing.
Thanks Martyn
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 05:56 AM   #2
BillyTheBimmer
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: CPO 2013 328i XDrive Sport Pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn88 View Post
Hi everyone. When I have the car in sport or sport plus the steering feels so much better. I find the steering in eco or comfort setting terrible especially when going any speed over 50mph. It just feels too light and like it's not even connected to the wheels. Is it possible to have the sports steering setup when in comfort mode. If not it will be left in sport mode at all times which probably isn't a bad thing.
Thanks Martyn
Yeah i had it coded on my 2013 328i xdrive. Extremely satisfied with having the option to use Sport mode with sport steering and comfort throttle. Previously the option to configure this was greyed out.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 08:09 AM   #3
ChuckP49
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i xDrive Gran Coupe

Is that something the dealer can code?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 08:33 AM   #4
Martyn88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the reply. I will have to get that done. I can't believe how bad the comfort steering is. There is absolutely no feel to it.
Martyn
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 08:59 AM   #5
rackjuediger
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i 6mt

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I coded mine with Carly for BMW so I can change the configuration of sport mode when I want. Then I believe I used number 5 on the quick navigation to quickly change it when I want
Bimmerworld, H
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 09:14 AM   #6
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Just go to sport mode and select "chassis only." No coding needed.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 09:38 AM   #7
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
If only I could access this menu in my car. I don't see any configuration options, greyed or not, just the graphics. I would drive sport steering comfort throttle all the time if I could. If I disable traction control completely it takes this setting, but I would prefer to have that active.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 1
kern4174442.00
      05-07-2018, 09:56 AM   #8
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Old ('12-'13) non-sport F30 didn't have the option visible. Needed coding.

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 1
kern4174442.00
      05-07-2018, 10:43 AM   #9
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Can someone please detail how to code this? Thanks!
      05-07-2018, 11:02 AM   #10
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Bimmercode?
      05-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #11
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Funny, comfort mode is almost universally regarded as the mode of choice on the track or driving at the limit, with the artificial "heavy" feeling of Sport mode being dismissed as a poor attempt to replicate the hydraulically assisted power steering of the past.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 3
kern4174442.00
Danddd74.50
      05-07-2018, 12:43 PM   #12
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
Old ('12-'13) non-sport F30 didn't have the option visible. Needed coding.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the heads up, I had no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Funny, comfort mode is almost universally regarded as the mode of choice on the track or driving at the limit, with the artificial "heavy" feeling of Sport mode being dismissed as a poor attempt to replicate the hydraulically assisted power steering of the past.
Definitely personal preference but I hate sports mode in city driving. The steering feels like you're driving a dump truck and the throttle is way to sensitive to slowly slip the clutch. Plus the exhaust pops are overkill. With an aftermarket exhaust the pops are much more random and authentic vs the sports mode sounding over-animated.

I pretty much only use it on the highway so I can maneuver easier and reduce the lagging feel of the turbo when trying to accelerate quickly. I just do the opposite of what I recommended and set it to "drivetrain only." But I can easily imagine that it's easier to control your inputs in comfort mode when at the track.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 01:04 PM   #13
eBalita
Rep
Drives: 440i

Sorry newbie here. Can you have car default start in Sport Mode with Chassis only?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 01:08 PM   #14
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
I can definitely appreciate this, sport mode does nothing to increase the feel to the steering. In MT cars sport throttle is a mess, way too pokey to modulate on or off the track. I want full throttle to actually be when my foot is on the floor, not when blood pumps through my big toe too fast. At AutoX or track I run without DTC or TC on, so it forces the use of Sport steering and thankfully comfort throttle.

Quote:
Definitely personal preference but I hate sports mode in city driving. The steering feels like you're driving a dump truck and the throttle is way to sensitive to slowly slip the clutch. Plus the exhaust pops are overkill. With an aftermarket exhaust the pops are much more random and authentic vs the sports mode sounding over-animated.

I pretty much only use it on the highway so I can maneuver easier and reduce the lagging feel of the turbo when trying to accelerate quickly. I just do the opposite of what I recommended and set it to "drivetrain only." But I can easily imagine that it's easier to control your inputs in comfort mode when at the track.
Agree with you 100% there. In the city, the lighter, the better. I live in the woods so I'm generally on backroads where I can maintain 50MPH through most corners, that's the speed where I start to appreciate the weight. Sport mode is great on the highway, it makes 5th a way better passing gear.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i

Last edited by MacklinUSOB; 05-07-2018 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 01:17 PM   #15
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I hear the same but I'm so not used to such light steering effort on a road car. feels like i'm driving a video game when i don't get resistance.

And... yeah the slower throttle is better for twisty tracks. i just don't like the throttle tip in. But on a track, i don't think it would be so annoying to me since i'd be keeping the rev as high as possible throughout anyways.

I personally drive sport chassis with comfort throttle with family but sport+ when i'm alone.

PS. for those trying to code sports configuration, see this thread: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1086229

BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug

Last edited by anotheran; 05-07-2018 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 2
kern4174442.00
      05-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #16
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBalita View Post
Sorry newbie here. Can you have car default start in Sport Mode with Chassis only?
No.

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #17
El Conquistador
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240 Vert - 6M as god intended

The feel in sport (and maybe all modes) and the ability to select within the chassis menu depends on the year.

My 2014 steering is way too light in comfort, and I don't have the chassis configuration menu. Feels like an 80's Cadillac that you could steer with one finger and no feedback.

Would be interested in knowing what can be coded for my year, the ideal being one notch heavier than sport, when in sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 01:28 PM   #18
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
The feel in sport (and maybe all modes) and the ability to select within the chassis menu depends on the year.

My 2014 steering is way too light in comfort, and I don't have the chassis configuration menu. Feels like an 80's Cadillac that you could steer with one finger and no feedback.

Would be interested in knowing what can be coded for my year, the ideal being one notch heavier than sport, when in sport mode.
Same here, '14 335 SportLine. Would love Sport Steering feel in Comfort mode. Any way to do this via BimmerCode?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 03:18 PM   #19
Martyn88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for this. I've only had the car for 4 weeks and didn't know I could do this. Its a 2017 so I have this option and it's exactly what I wanted. Comfort throttle and sports steering and then when I need sports throttle too just put it in sports+ it would just be better if it remembered what mode you last used and started in that mode but I suppose we can't have everything. Thanks for the help.
Martyn
Appreciate 1
kern4174442.00
      05-07-2018, 03:21 PM   #20
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Ok, just here to report my findings using Bimmercode on my '13 335i Sportline.

Went into the Headunit ECU (hu_cic) and into Expert Mode.

In 3000 HMI, I found the MACRO_FDS parameter.

Then selected "popup_and_config" and coded the change.

This gave me the option to configure sport mode when selecting it. Gives you three options:
Drivetrain and Chassis
Drivetrain
Chassis

I went into the ICM ecu, but didn't find the module for Icmkod_b_sportindividualiserbar. I decided to give it a test drive anyways so I set off on a short drive. Here's what I experienced:

It doesn't seem that my car needed the ICM coding for this functionality. Not sure if it's built into the Sportline, or if it's because I have CIC. NBT may be different.

Selecting Drivetrain and Chassis performs like "normal" Sport mode.

Selecting Drivetrain gives me Sport mode throttle response and shift points, but lighter steering (as in Comfort mode).

Selecting Chassis flips that...Comfort mode throttle response and shift points with heavier Sport mode steering inputs.

I don't have adaptive suspension, so no changes to ride. From what I can tell, shifting the transmission to "S" (pushing lever to the left) raises the shift points, but does not alter throttle response. I didn't drive long enough to fully warm up the engine, so I didn't push it very hard.

I like the Chassis only configuration as sometimes I don't need the throttle response of Sport mode (stop and go traffic for example) but prefer the heavier steering feel. I kind of wish putting it into sport shifting (pushing it to the left, but not going manual mode) would make it fully "Sport mode" including increased throttle response, but I guess I can just go into Sport+ or configure on the fly via iDrive for that.

Overall, I like the added functionality and flexibility of being able to configure Sport mode. I imagine Sport->Chassis only will be my default setting for daily driving.
Attached Images

kern4174442.00
vooonoo537.00
aps334.00
      05-08-2018, 06:35 AM   #21
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post

I wonder if they made it slightly stiffer in comfort mode on my '18. It just feels right to me. The sports mode is laughably stiff and overly sensitive, like in my head the entire sports mode thing is just way to animated. So when people say comfort mode feels like a video game, I feel like it's the exact opposite I guess that's why they make switchable modes lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 09:27 AM   #22
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Universally seems like a strong word. My experiences on this and other 3 series forums is that most enthusiasts prefer to drive in Sport mode for the steering.

I found comfort to be far too light with little communication from the front tires. In fact I often found Sport to be too light, especially just off of center.
Appreciate 0