F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Got an Esys cable and new to all of this
ARMA SPEED

06-07-2018, 05:06 AM   #1
tarekelsakka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330i

Got an Esys cable and new to all of this

I have successfully coded multiple VAG cars using VAG-COM cables before, but to be honest the software seemed a lot easier to use than E-sys is. I have been reading the guides and tutorial posted in svache and it definitely gave me a much better idea on how to do this without messing things up, however I'd like to know exactly which options can actually be coded in my car?

It's a 2013 316i without navigation, just the basic small iDrive. It doesn't have a COMBOX in the trunk so I am quite sure trying to code Enhanced Bluetooth and such will be useless.

Is there a website or something to check which options would actually be possible using the car's VIN code?

And also I read on here that using Esys to update the iDrive software to the latest is the best way to go about it since the download links on BMW's website (which you obtain via writing your VIN) are actually outdated in comparison. The reason I'd like to update the iDrive software is just to improve the stability and speed.

Sorry if those are stupid questions but I recently got back from abroad for a 1-month vacation and this is going to be a little bit of a pet project of mine, not really to try and code and change things but to understand how it all works and all my available options.

kretzu seems to provide ISTA+/Rheingold and I will be messaging him to ask for links if it's possible, but can I understand the difference between using this software and E-Sys? Is ISTA mainly for full diagnosis and clearing error codes and such?

Thank you for your time.
Appreciate 0