F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 340i / 440i (B58) BMW M Performance Power and Sound Kit (MPPSK) Official Release
Extreme Powerhouse

06-22-2018, 06:54 PM   #881
truth649
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by namx747 View Post
I ordered the mppsk from an online parts dealer. Waiting for it to be delivered. Do you guys think the exhaust will fit in a 340i trunk with the seats folded down? Trying to find a way to transport it to the dealer for it to be installed
Is West Springfield doing the work? I’d like to have mine done too but looking for a dealer who has a little experience with MPPSK installs. The ones I have called don’t even know what it is, LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 04:46 PM   #882
namx747
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth649 View Post
Quote:
I ordered the mppsk from an online parts dealer. Waiting for it to be delivered. Do you guys think the exhaust will fit in a 340i trunk with the seats folded down? Trying to find a way to transport it to the dealer for it to be installed
Is West Springfield doing the work? I'd like to have mine done too but looking for a dealer who has a little experience with MPPSK installs. The ones I have called don't even know what it is, LOL
No def not West Springfield. Possibly New country Hartford or Watertown. I have been calling around myself to look for a dealer that will give me a good deal for install or have experience. Bmw dealer in Boston area might have experience
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 08:26 PM   #883
truth649
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No def not West Springfield. Possibly New country Hartford or Watertown. I have been calling around myself to look for a dealer that will give me a good deal for install or have experience. Bmw dealer in Boston area might have experience
When you find a place, please let me know. I work 5 minutes from Watertown, went to talk to them and they didn’t have a clue what a MPPSK was, LOL. I’d rather find a place where I am not the guinea pig.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 08:42 AM   #884
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
When you find a place, please let me know. I work 5 minutes from Watertown, went to talk to them and they didn’t have a clue what a MPPSK was, LOL. I’d rather find a place where I am not the guinea pig.
Who were you talking to? in my experience, Service Advisors are short timers, so they may not have heard of it before, even if the dealership has installed 10 in the past year.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 10:36 AM   #885
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Quote:
My SA didn't know what it was. None of them do. I gave them the part numbers so they didn't order the wrong one. Took them longer to install it than I've seen quoted on here but haven't had any issues with it. Sounds great and more power.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 07:31 PM   #886
namx747
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340ix

Yeah a lot of these dealers are clueless. BMW Shrewsbury just quoted me 230 for the labor and told me that it doesn't requiring any program/tuning.. LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 10:28 PM   #887
truth649
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yeah a lot of these dealers are clueless. BMW Shrewsbury just quoted me 230 for the labor and told me that it doesn't requiring any program/tuning.. LOL
That’s the stuff that concerns me, LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 06:22 PM   #888
Nebelhinten
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tanzanite 340i MPPSK

Red Arch

This link was posted by a member in another thread. Interesting article from company that developed MPPSK for BMW. They produced the kit at their facility including calibration of the tune with the exhaust.

https://www.redarcheng.co.uk/news/ne...ema-motorshow/
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #889
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 M550i Dinan S1, 340i

I just got back from having the MPPSK installed on my 2017 340i xDrive. I had it done at West Springfield MA store, I can share some info on that for my fellow CT'ers who might be interested. Figured I'd come here to share my initial thoughts for others. Going in, I primarily did it for a boost in power, but also wanted just a little more to the exhaust, especially when doing some spirited driving in sport mode. I was pretty nervous about doing this because it's not reversible and the reviews are all over the place as it's such a subjective thing.

From a semi-cold start in comfort mode It's definitely louder and a different note all together. nothing like the stock exhaust, after it settled down shortly, I left it in comfort mode for a few minutes, from the programming I lost like seat position and a few other things. At idle, it's same volume as the stock exhaust, note is fairly similar.

First Drive: it's hot out so I rolled up windows, cranked A/C and headed out in comfort, had to get on highway for a while, didn't really want to mess with it until I got closer to home and some back roads. during very light acceleration it's very controlled with a slightly different tone but not loud, give it a little gas (25%) and it you immediately know it's not stock, but it's still reasonably sounding to my ears. Taking off for a few simple passes and the sound is nice, gear shifts have a slightly more noticeable snap and you can hear a more pronounced intake/exhaust sound than the stock setup. Stayed in comfort for 45 minutes, I went back and forth between transmission sport & drive, did some manual shifting with paddles and at this point I was feeling fairly good since it sounded good, there was no droning, power felt good, but I didn't really do anything more than a normal drive.

Spirited comfort mode: Closer to home, I had some time to play in higher rev zone and test out the acceleration. here's where the exhaust opens up a lot, even though I'm still in comfort mode, when you are at 40% or more acceleration and in higher rev zone the exhaust sounds amazing.. what I was looking for over the stock exhaust.. drove about 15 minutes like this on various roads... between 0 and maybe hit 60 on some roads, nothing crazy. was able to find one quiet road stretch to do a 0-60, definitely notice the speed boost under full workout and it was a great exhaust sound!

The switch to Sport: I did it while I was on a back road moving at 40ish MPH, safe speed is around 50-60 so I kept it within 30-60 and played around with it. at lower RPM it's got deep bass and ongoing burbling with deep tones when off the gas, at higher RPM its outright nasty... My first reaction was not too positive. A few more minutes in and after a 6K rpm let off the gas I got some gun shots and rolling burps and farts... they made me laugh but not sure I like it. Driving about 10 minutes in this mode I am having mixed feelings.. sometimes its great, sometimes it's over the top and outright obnoxious, so I have some doubts now setting in after that.

Had to get back for work and stop playing. I'll take another spin later today on way home, try and get out to some quieter roads and hear more with windows down, up, all modes and see if I can grab a friend for a ride tonight. I will share more ride impression tonight on the next ride... right now I am not thrilled, but hope it's just an adjustment period.

Oh, for the guys in CT looking for a shop, PM me if you want to know about West Springfield location.. If you want to hear it and don't mind coming out my way, sounds like we're around 30 minutes apart.. I wouldn't mind taking you for a ride to experience first hand so you know what you're in for.

Last edited by kring; 07-12-2018 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-12-2018, 11:35 PM   #890
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

After some more time and getting two buddies to drive it, I am feeling a bit better, I think it may take some time to get use to it in sport mode. I think comfort is great, close to where I wanted it to be... the sport mode is a tale of two beasts; sometimes it’s reasonable with deep growl, and other times is really overboard...

I’ll share some more thoughts As I drive it more.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 10:49 AM   #891
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kring View Post
After some more time and getting two buddies to drive it, I am feeling a bit better, I think it may take some time to get use to it in sport mode. I think comfort is great, close to where I wanted it to be... the sport mode is a tale of two beasts; sometimes it’s reasonable with deep growl, and other times is really overboard...

I’ll share some more thoughts As I drive it more.
Yeah, the pops/bangs/burbles were a lot more reasonable a year ago, but software updates since then have made it more over-the-top and annoying. I think some people complained that it never did it for them, because it required really getting into high rpm, high load, and then letting off quickly, which generally requires open roads. Now, it'll pop/bang/burble/fart any time you're engine braking, which makes you look a bit silly.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 02:50 PM   #892
coldM2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw340iMPPSK/BmwM2MPE

Have anyone had any issues with their 340/440 startup sound? Recently ive noticed that everytime i start the car wether its cold or warm, its definetly not the same sound as it was for the past couple weeks(owned my 340 mppsk for 5 weeks now). Everytime i start the car it sounds super quiet. I do have 2 videos of how it used to be and how it is now but i cant seem to be able to make a post. While im at it ive noticed that when im in sportmode and I downshift, I dont get burbles or pops anymore, its nothing more than just a high sound reving engine. This is really odd because when upshifting I do get those small fartnoises when I get past a certain RPM obviously, and when Im reving my car standing still it sounds normal. Ive also felt some kind of small delay in my downshifts and its just not as precise as it used to be these first weeks of my ownership. Im turning the car in to Bmw in the nextcoming days for a troubleshooting.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 02:53 PM   #893
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by black340 View Post
Have anyone had any issues with their 340/440 startup sound? Recently ive noticed that everytime i start the car wether its cold or warm, its definetly not the same sound as it was for the past couple weeks(owned my 340 mppsk for 5 weeks now). Everytime i start the car it sounds super quiet. I do have 2 videos of how it used to be and how it is now but i cant seem to be able to make a post. While im at it ive noticed that when im in sportmode and I downshift, I dont get burbles or pops anymore, its nothing more than just a high sound reving engine. This is really odd because when upshifting I do get those small fartnoises when I get past a certain RPM obviously, and when Im reving my car standing still it sounds normal. Ive also felt some kind of small delay in my downshifts and its just not as precise as it used to be these first week of my ownership. Im turning the car in to Bmw in the nextcoming days for a troubleshooting.
I would have them look at it. I've noticed that sometimes if I switch to sport plus right away after startup the valve doesn't actually open until a couple of minutes later.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 03:06 PM   #894
coldM2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I would have them look at it. I've noticed that sometimes if I switch to sport plus right away after startup the valve doesn't actually open until a couple of minutes later.
Its weird because everything has worked fine the first weeks of my ownership. But a couple of days ago I noticed when starting in my garage that it just sounded weird, and it wasnt just at coldstarts but it is everytime im starting it . I decided to roll down my windows one morning in my garage to listen to the startup and its literally like someone shoved 2 towels up each of my endpipes to quiet the exhaust(its like this everytime i start it now). It used to have a loud coldstart that lasted almost up to 30 seconds but now its like 0,5 second and it just turns quiet. Other than this everything else seems to be fine...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 07:15 PM   #895
Nebelhinten
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tanzanite 340i MPPSK

That's odd because even stock the cold start was loud. MPPSK is very loud and then settles down once the waste gate closes. And it does the same thing regardless of cold or warm start. With my 335i when warm the start was much quieter than cold. But 340i is always loud. Interested to hear BMW explanation.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 10:18 PM   #896
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Would love a quiet start!!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 04:31 AM   #897
coldM2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebelhinten View Post
That's odd because even stock the cold start was loud. MPPSK is very loud and then settles down once the waste gate closes. And it does the same thing regardless of cold or warm start. With my 335i when warm the start was much quieter than cold. But 340i is always loud. Interested to hear BMW explanation.
Super odd really. Just waiting for the site manager of the car company I bought the car from to book me an appointment to my nearest Bmw dealer so that they can troubleshoot this problem asap.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #898
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
This particular issue is a "feature". the valves won't open until the car is satisfied the cats/engine are sufficiently warm. So every start up takes a bit before they will open. Even pulling up to a gas station with a hot engine, filling up and restarting 5 min later still takes a min or so for the valves to reopen
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 03:57 PM   #899
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Quote:
This particular issue is a "feature". the valves won't open until the car is satisfied the cats/engine are sufficiently warm. So every start up takes a bit before they will open. Even pulling up to a gas station with a hot engine, filling up and restarting 5 min later still takes a min or so for the valves to reopen
So for a brief moment it's like the MPPK, a tune without the exhaust. It definitely pulls before the valves open. Or maybe it's push since its RWD
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 01:25 AM   #900
turas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440ix

Is this normal? The discoloration. It's came after 100km.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #901
jalx
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16' 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by turas View Post
Is this normal? The discoloration. It's came after 100km.

Interesting, I will check my car. I noticed similar discolouration in one of my steel tips 2 days ago.

it does not look good.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 09:59 AM   #902
Paul4cade
Registered
Rep
Drives: 440i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCWolfPck View Post
Yeah....I actually got the dimensions since I posted. The box is 84x44x20 (48lbs). Going to try to get a dealership to price match or drop ship to dealership.
Thanks for providing these dimensions. Just to confirm, these dimensions are in Inches, right? Sorry, I am european and not used the inches system.

I am looking at shipping a MPPSK from my home country as it costs $1900 versus $5,800 in the country I am living.

Thanks for the info tho
Appreciate 0