F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > iPhone 5 snap in adapter retrofit
ARMA SPEED

02-15-2014, 10:40 PM   #1
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
iPhone 5 snap in adapter retrofit

Does anyone know what's involved in retrofitting the Apple snap in adapter in a 2014 NBT system?

I know for CIC, it's a lot of trouble because you need to run some cables to the combox and then back to the head unit.

My NBT is retrofitted and has BMW Apps 6NR enabled so when I go to External Devices, I do see the snap in adapter along with the main USB port and Bluetooth Audio. I tried plugging in one of my USB cables into the curry port on my NBT and my iPhone shows up and allows me to use the Plug in application as if I have the snap in adapter.

Does anyone have any info as to whether or not it's just one HSD cable that runs to the NBT? If it's just a matter of running one cable to the head unit from the armrest, this will be a really cheap and easy retrofit.

By the way, it looks like 6NF no longer exists for vehicles with a production date of 07/13 onwards. 6NR itself seems to enable the snap in adapter when you add it to the VO.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 02-15-2014 at 10:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 11:09 PM   #2
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251450522346...witem=&vxp=mtr

This listing pretty much states that you need NBT to use the snap in adapter since they listed all the build dates for each chassis.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251450522346...witem=&vxp=mtr

This listing pretty much states that you need NBT to use the snap in adapter since they listed all the build dates for each chassis.
There does seem to be some coding or settings that needs to be done otherwise when in the cradle it will recognize your phone as a usb device and not a iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 09:18 PM   #4
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFastM3 View Post
There does seem to be some coding or settings that needs to be done otherwise when in the cradle it will recognize your phone as a usb device and not a iPhone.
Nope, all you need is 6NS and 6NR in your VO. My NBT shows the cradle under external devices and I've tested it by connecting an HSD cable to it.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 05:18 AM   #5
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
Nope, all you need is 6NS and 6NR in your VO. My NBT shows the cradle under external devices and I've tested it by connecting an HSD cable to it.
Oh that's not a problem... My car is quite loaded and has ALL the default options from NBT:

[1411] 6NR_BMW_APPS
[1470] 688_HARMAN_KARDON_SURROUND_SYSTEM
[1777] 6AL_BMW_LIVE
[2096] 6NS_COMFORTTELEPHONY_WITH_EXT_SMARTPHONE
[79] 609_NAVIGATION_SYSTEM_PROFESSIONAL
[612] 614_PREPARATION_INTERNET

This is all Factory options I didn't retrofit anything.....

So it not the options it must be something in the coding
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 05:38 AM   #6
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW

A question i did a ejectbox retrofit in my f34 with nbt from factory. I coded 6NH to 6NS.

I bought a used snap-in for an iphone 5/5s (not gonna pay over 200 for an universal without knowing it works) and a connetor so i can connect my iphone x to the snap-in.

Now my problem, if i connect my phone it charges but the icon of snap-in says not connected. Is this cause the cradel only works with iphone 5 or is something not working?

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 08:07 PM   #7
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5, 2020 X5 & 2021 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneyer View Post
A question i did a ejectbox retrofit in my f34 with nbt from factory. I coded 6NH to 6NS.

I bought a used snap-in for an iphone 5/5s (not gonna pay over 200 for an universal without knowing it works) and a connetor so i can connect my iphone x to the snap-in.

Now my problem, if i connect my phone it charges but the icon of snap-in says not connected. Is this cause the cradel only works with iphone 5 or is something not working?

Any ideas?
There are 3 types of iPhone 5 adapters Basic Music and Connect. You can check the label under the adapter part number is. You need the connect version the basic only allows the phone to be charged and gives better reception using an external aerial that connects to the phone by induction?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 08:20 AM   #8
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambazonke View Post
There are 3 types of iPhone 5 adapters Basic Music and Connect. You can check the label under the adapter part number is. You need the connect version the basic only allows the phone to be charged and gives better reception using an external aerial that connects to the phone by induction?
Not really an answer on my question.I know there are differant versions and that i need the connect one.

The problem stays that if i connect my phone it charges but it doesn't connenct on the i drive menu. So don't know what the problem is. Everything is connect so maybe you need additional coding for it to work but don't have an idea what.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 01:03 PM   #9
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:

Any ideas?
Quote:
Not really an answer on my question.I know there are differant versions and that i need the connect one.

The problem stays that if i connect my phone it charges but it doesn't connenct on the i drive menu. So don't know what the problem is. Everything is connect so maybe you need additional coding for it to work but don't have an idea what.
Asked and answered:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=78

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 02:03 PM   #10
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Thnx Shawnsheridan but i allready tried adding 6NF but i get an error when i do that. Do you need to change 6ns with 6nf or have both?

Cause some say that 6ns in nbt has the snap in function included

The other forums links are also all from me cause there is no one that seems to know something

Think youll still need to be nle to play videos why else do you need to have fbas+ fbas- and shield cable
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 03:29 PM   #11
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thnx Shawnsheridan but i allready tried adding 6NF but i get an error when i do that. Do you need to change 6ns with 6nf or have both?

Cause some say that 6ns in nbt has the snap in function included

The other forums links are also all from me cause there is no one that seems to know something

Think youll still need to be nle to play videos why else do you need to have fbas+ fbas- and shield cable
As I wrote,:

Make sure make sure these FDL Codes in HU_NBT are set:

API_IPOD_VIDEO = both
API_USB_VIDEO = both
USB1_IPOD_AUDIO = auto
USB2_IPOD_AUDIO = auto

This should enable iDrive SnapIn Menu.

Even with FBAS Video Connection added from the 6NF Base Plate to NBT, without an Analog Video Signal from iPhone, it won't work, so you would need older iPhone 4 for Video.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 07:49 AM   #12
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
As I wrote,:

Make sure make sure these FDL Codes in HU_NBT are set:

API_IPOD_VIDEO = both
API_USB_VIDEO = both
USB1_IPOD_AUDIO = auto
USB2_IPOD_AUDIO = auto

This should enable iDrive SnapIn Menu.

Even with FBAS Video Connection added from the 6NF Base Plate to NBT, without an Analog Video Signal from iPhone, it won't work, so you would need older iPhone 4 for Video.
They are coded like that all 4 so thats not it. I have the snap in in the id menu it just stays NOT CONNECTED even when my phone is.

Do i have to delete 6ns and add 6nf? Cause like i said i cant code 6nf to nbt.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 12:32 PM   #13
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They are coded like that all 4 so thats not it. I have the snap in in the id menu it just stays NOT CONNECTED even when my phone is.

Do i have to delete 6ns and add 6nf? Cause like i said i cant code 6nf to nbt.
I have no idea why 6NF does not work in your case, but it does not matter really when you can simply make all the 6NF FDL Codes, and with the 4 FDL Codes you have set for aktiv, it should be working. If it is not working, then I would suspect the issue lies with the wiring, base plate, or Snap-In Adapter itself.

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 04:55 PM   #14
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I have no idea why 6NF does not work in your case, but it does not matter really when you can simply make all the 6NF FDL Codes, and with the 4 FDL Codes you have set for aktiv, it should be working. If it is not working, then I would suspect the issue lies with the wiring, base plate, or Snap-In Adapter itself.
6nf doesn't exist any more for nbt the 6nf option (was before with cic and combox) is included in the 6ns option enhanced bt, 2 mobile phones connected, office function, snap-in.

I will ceck tomorrow when im home again, but i rechecked all wiring yesterday and all is connected as it should be. So maybe its the snap in that not good. But that still doesn't explains why i loose usb1 if i connect an usbconnecter to usb2.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 05:09 PM   #15
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
6nf doesn't exist any more for nbt the 6nf option (was before with cic and combox) is included in the 6ns option enhanced bt, 2 mobile phones connected, office function, snap-in.

I will ceck tomorrow when im home again, but i rechecked all wiring yesterday and all is connected as it should be. So maybe its the snap in that not good. But that still doesn't explains why i loose usb1 if i connect an usbconnecter to usb2.
Yes, that is correct. 6NF was CIC only and 6NS includes the 6NF Baseplate in NBT.

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 05:43 AM   #16
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that is correct. 6NF was CIC only and 6NS includes the 6NF Baseplate in NBT.
I checked everything again, wiring coding 6ns, the aditional coding you gave. Everything is as it should be, but still not working.

I took some pictures this time,

pic1 is when everything is connected as it should be

pic 2 is when i disconnect usbcable from the ejectbox and connect a usbconnector with thumpdrive

pic 3 the result, i loose usb1 and usb2.

Dont think this has anything to do with the snapin.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 07:19 AM   #17
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I checked everything again, wiring coding 6ns, the aditional coding you gave. Everything is as it should be, but still not working.

I took some pictures this time,

pic1 is when everything is connected as it should be

pic 2 is when i disconnect usbcable from the ejectbox and connect a usbconnector with thumpdrive

pic 3 the result, i loose usb1 and usb2.

Dont think this has anything to do with the snapin.
It appears you are using Combox version of the Snap-In cable. This is not correct for NBT, and will short circuit on USB2, which will cut power to both USB ports.

That will work with NBT only if you break off the guide tabs and rotate the connector 180 degrees.

The correct original NBT Snap-In cable is P/N 61119344594.

Appreciate 1
deneyer35.00
      08-08-2018, 07:30 AM   #18
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
It appears you are using Combox version of the Snap-In cable. This is not correct for NBT, and will short circuit on USB2, which will cut power to both USB ports.

That will work with NBT only if you break off the guide tabs and rotate the connector 180 degrees.

The correct original NBT Snap-In cable is P/N 61119344594.
Ah ok so they send me the wrong cable.

You are right that was the problem, it works now. Ill be sure to contact my dealer about that!

Thanks for the help

Last edited by deneyer; 08-08-2018 at 07:41 AM..
Appreciate 0