F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Balls! 89 in a 60!
Extreme Powerhouse

11-09-2018, 12:40 PM   #45
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
Had a similar experience a few years ago. 4 cars and lorry at the head going 40mph, passed the lot then slowed down to the limit but unfortunately the car behind the lorry was a unmarked cop car!!! Caught me up a mile later, nearly got away with it .. 2 cops, 1 reasonable and one was a short arse. I said that I was making it safer for me by overtaking quickly (90mph!), small person syndrome kicked in with the small one and the tall one went and sat it the car!!! Ended up with 3 points and 60 quid fine.
In hindsight I could have got away with it because I don't think they had any evidence.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 12:48 PM   #46
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan4 View Post
yes
OK, well a verified 89 was probably nearer 93-95mph on your speedo.

You'll be getting a summons I guess so I'd get a lawyer sooner rather than later.

I was caught on the A1 at a speedo indicated 90mph but the NIP came through at 86mph so just got a SAC.

I had to beg for my licence many years ago (20 IIRC) I succeeded but it wasn't easy and they really don't like speeders in court prepare to be treated like a common criminal by the retired green grocer on the bench, who probably exceeded the speed limit on his way to court that day.

Last edited by Wills2; 11-09-2018 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 01:47 PM   #47
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
So, here's the million dollar questions...

a) Did your previous experiences cause you to change your driving after them...

b) How will this experience (and you have the considerably less fun bit of the experience still to come, granted) affect your driving in future...

Whilst I am not sympathetic, I am not baiting you, either, nor passing judgement (that is for the Court)... I do not know you and I was not there when the alleged offence was detected (albeit you seem to be freely admitting it)...

To be honest, I am genuinely interested in how this particular experience might impact on your future driving... It is a particular interest of mine...

If you are at all interested, my views on NYCC enforcement (and the wider picture) are clear in the thread currently running in "off topic", BTW...
It isn't me that has been caught - but my friend us waiting for similar at the moment.

The 42 in a 30 was 4 years ago, the 61 on a 50 was about three months after that (And 2 weeks after the SAC...). The others were a good while ago. I was driving a lot of miles, I considered them an occupational hazard.

Now I drive less, generally less watching the clock as it's personal not business. But equally I need my car less so a ban would be less problematic...

So do these stories bother me? I try not to get caught, I can't say I never speed but I try to do it sensibly where I stand a good chance of getting away with it. I have a good car, that can take the speed, I only do it on decent roads when it's reasonably quiet, and I know the consequence. My friend is waiting on a NIP for potentially 70 in a 40, caught by a camera on the M3. It was a 40 VSL, one mile before roadworks, 800 yards before she left the motorway, at 1 in the morning ... not sure that was a reasonable cop but that's life....
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 02:26 PM   #48
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:
So, here's the million dollar questions...

a) Did your previous experiences cause you to change your driving after them...

b) How will this experience (and you have the considerably less fun bit of the experience still to come, granted) affect your driving in future...

Whilst I am not sympathetic, I am not baiting you, either, nor passing judgement (that is for the Court)... I do not know you and I was not there when the alleged offence was detected (albeit you seem to be freely admitting it)...

To be honest, I am genuinely interested in how this particular experience might impact on your future driving... It is a particular interest of mine...

If you are at all interested, my views on NYCC enforcement (and the wider picture) are clear in the thread currently running in "off topic", BTW...
It isn't me that has been caught - but my friend us waiting for similar at the moment.

The 42 in a 30 was 4 years ago, the 61 on a 50 was about three months after that (And 2 weeks after the SAC...). The others were a good while ago. I was driving a lot of miles, I considered them an occupational hazard.

Now I drive less, generally less watching the clock as it's personal not business. But equally I need my car less so a ban would be less problematic...

So do these stories bother me? I try not to get caught, I can't say I never speed but I try to do it sensibly where I stand a good chance of getting away with it. I have a good car, that can take the speed, I only do it on decent roads when it's reasonably quiet, and I know the consequence. My friend is waiting on a NIP for potentially 70 in a 40, caught by a camera on the M3. It was a 40 VSL, one mile before roadworks, 800 yards before she left the motorway, at 1 in the morning ... not sure that was a reasonable cop but that's life....
I can only apologise for confusing you with the OP but thanks for giving me an easy ride on that and for the considered response as regards your own points...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #49
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

Hard lines mate

A quick look on the Internet suggests a fine and points 4-6 as previous posts really.

There's some right angels on here you would think they'd have never sped in their life! Ffs.

I don't think you can fudge income if self employed/limited company as you'd be paying minimum - be intrigued to know let us know!

If you buy a snooper 4zero elite it's not going to stop you getting a ticket just difference between severity of a fine if your lucky!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 03:43 PM   #50
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajs_435d View Post
Hard lines mate

A quick look on the Internet suggests a fine and points 4-6 as previous posts really.

There's some right angels on here you would think they'd have never sped in their life! Ffs.

I don't think you can fudge income if self employed/limited company as you'd be paying minimum - be intrigued to know let us know!

If you buy a snooper 4zero elite it's not going to stop you getting a ticket just difference between severity of a fine if your lucky!
I call getting 600 quid a day into your own company and paying minimum a fudge. I would be looking at 2500 quid fine if a motorway offence...

The word is that they prefer to give short bans rather than 6 points feeling it has more of an impact and therefore better medicine for others... I suspect you may be lucky as you are less than 50% over limit but I wouldn't drive to court just in case...
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 03:47 PM   #51
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Many many moons ago I was caught doing 99 in 60. Wont bore you with the details. 4 week ban.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 03:49 PM   #52
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I can only apologise for confusing you with the OP but thanks for giving me an easy ride on that and for the considered response as regards your own points...
No worries. I think reading about others being caught and potential consequence is a great way for us all to learn. I still remember the feeling many years ago when a red Sierra 4x4 that had been trying to keep up with me (��) switched on the blue lights and I looked down to see the Speedo beyond 120.... sobering moment and the 20 secs to get on hard shoulder gave me to plenty of time to ponder likely consequences...

Yet I was still caught after - because at most of the times it was a case of chancing it because I was trying to fit too much in my diary. I don't do that now so if caught now it is carelessness / cheating / stupidity!!

Last edited by isleaiw1; 11-10-2018 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 04:25 PM   #53
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
They're able to get you from 1000 or 1500m away I believe.
Probably about right. A van will be pretty small from that distance.

Gone; F30 335dx, F30 330dx, F21 LCI 125d, F48 X1 20dx, F10 520d
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 04:49 PM   #54
hilift
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d f31 msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr August Schmidhuber View Post
I don't agree. Councils have been reducing speed limits for years for no other reason than revenue raising.
I regularly do more than. 90mph in 60 limits, where conditions allow, and far, far more than 90mph on my motorcycle.
I'm with you here mate on all counts ,!!!!!!
Appreciate 2
LobB5109.00
TaranF32129.50
      11-09-2018, 05:24 PM   #55
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Starting point will be 6 points, not disqualification. Fine will be 100% of your weekly income (although it could go to 125%, if higher culpability was found - poor road conditions/weather for e.g. or a greater degree of harm), with a maximum of £1,000. You could argue for a disqualification, but this is likely to be toward the higher end of 28 days and at the discretion of the magistrates, not you...

And you will also have to pay a victim surcharge at 10% of the fine (£30 minimum) and prosecution costs of around £85.

Last edited by G82Dude; 11-09-2018 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 05:00 AM   #56
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:

feel such an idiot! Was going to happen at some point, my first discretion in 15 years of driving.
Do you mind if I ask a question... I appreciate that you may not wish to answer it, but if you would care to answer, I am genuinely interested in your response...

How do you think that this experience might affect your driving in future...?

Whilst I am not particularly sympathetic, I am not baiting you, either, nor passing a judgement... I do not know you and I was not there when the alleged offence was detected (albeit you seem to be freely admitting it)...

To be honest, I am interested in how this sort of experience might impact on people's future driving habits... It is a particular interest of mine and we have been discussing the NYCC speed enforcement in the "off-topic" section recently.....
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 05:28 AM   #57
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

I would personally say it will make the OP watch his speed more in future .. for a short while at least.

I put my foot down sometimes (although I'm careful where I do, not in built up 30 zones etc) and have been lucky I guess not to end up in the same position as the OP, but I have had some close calls where I thought I'd been caught but nothing came through in the post. Having just a close call made me more cautious with my speed for a short while afterwards.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2018, 06:25 AM   #58
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

Quote:
Quote:

feel such an idiot! Was going to happen at some point, my first discretion in 15 years of driving.
Do you mind if I ask a question... I appreciate that you may not wish to answer it, but if you would care to answer, I am genuinely interested in your response...

How do you think that this experience might affect your driving in future...?

Whilst I am not particularly sympathetic, I am not baiting you, either, nor passing a judgement... I do not know you and I was not there when the alleged offence was detected (albeit you seem to be freely admitting it)...

To be honest, I am interested in how this sort of experience might impact on people's future driving habits... It is a particular interest of mine and we have been discussing the NYCC speed enforcement in the "off-topic" section recently.....
ok, this is a very reasonable question and more than happy to answer.

How will this affect my driving in future? Massively, to be honest I'd become complacent after not really having had any close calls at any speed in the past. The m3 being such a capable car is s factor in this as it is so composed and these speeds are well within it's capabilities, and to be clear, that is not an excuse. so going forwards I will be looking to find more appropriate ways to enjoy the performance of the car. Ultimately, I will be moving to a house with a large garage in the next 18 months or so, at that point I think I'll be looking to swap out of the m3 and buy something like an x3, and have a track day car.

that's my thoughts right now anyway, one thing is for sure, I have learnt a lesson!

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 2
DaveA1869.00
      11-10-2018, 11:04 AM   #59
antjos1
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f30 330i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Band B so:

Disqualify 7-28 days OR 4-6 points
100% of relevant weekly income
My grandson recently got clocked 94 in 70 motorway he is only 23
Told him expect a ban.
Received 3pts 100 quid fine because he pleaded guilty
couldn't believe it.
The dvla said it is classed sp50?
He received the letter back last Monday
Wow
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 11:38 AM   #60
Z_Victor1
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i 👍

This might cheer you up...

Daughter got flashed at 05:00am doing 49 in a 30 limit in a residential area, road empty....JEEEEEZ!!!
  • Pled guilty
  • Age 26
  • First offence
  • Citroen C2
Result = 3 points + £100........

She was not asked her income. Unemployed anyway, on her way to job interview (!!)

Pled guilty and responded to NIP immediately

I wish you luck mate.

Last edited by Z_Victor1; 11-28-2018 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 11:45 AM   #61
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Victor1 View Post
This might cheer you up...

Daughter got flashed at 05:00am doing 49 in a 30 limit in a residential area, road empty....JEEEEEZ!!!
  • Pled guilty
  • Age 26
  • First offence
  • Citroen C2
Result = 3 points + £100........

She was not asked her income. Unemployed anyway, on her way to job interview (!!)

Pled guilty and responded to NIP immediately

I wish you luck mate.
thank you.

I'm thinking they may be lenient being my 1st offence, or come down hard dye to the speed involved. let's see. the NIP reply will be in the post later, so we shall see.

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 12:40 PM   #62
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
thank you.

I'm thinking they may be lenient being my 1st offence, or come down hard dye to the speed involved. let's see. the NIP reply will be in the post later, so we shall see.
I got caught doing 97 in a 70 a few years ago, if there’s a court date you don’t have to attend, I just sent a reply with my plea in the mitigating circumstances section, basically saying I admit I was wrong but listed all the things which made the situation less dangerous, i.e. daylight, dry, clear, no pedestrians or the likelyhood of there being any nearby, not near a junction etc.

They gave me 5 points, which may as well just be 3 points as you can still get another two lots of 3 points without totting up to 12 points and a ban!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 12:53 PM   #63
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I got caught doing 97 in a 70 a few years ago, if there’s a court date you don’t have to attend, I just sent a reply with my plea in the mitigating circumstances section, basically saying I admit I was wrong but listed all the things which made the situation less dangerous, i.e. daylight, dry, clear, no pedestrians or the likelyhood of there being any nearby, not near a junction etc.

They gave me 5 points, which may as well just be 3 points as you can still get another two lots of 3 points without totting up to 12 points and a ban!
I am told that if a ban is an option and you are trying to argue to keep your licence, turning up and being remorseful is a good idea. In those circumstances probably best not to say there were reasons why it was ok to do it....
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 01:00 PM   #64
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
I am told that if a ban is an option and you are trying to argue to keep your licence, turning up and being remorseful is a good idea. In those circumstances probably best not to say there were reasons why it was ok to do it....
Well it worked for me, that’s all I know.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 01:11 PM   #65
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
It’s unlikely you were looking at a ban - you could have had a speed awareness course at up to 86mph, bans normally for over 100 in a 70....
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #66
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Quote:
It’s unlikely you were looking at a ban - you could have had a speed awareness course at up to 86mph, bans normally for over 100 in a 70....
I used a solicitor to represent me at my court appearance. I was young and in my first proper job and needed to manage it correctly. Or for it to be managed correctly.

Anyway, he actually asked for a ban. "Madam, my client is sorry, mitigating blah blah, we ask for a short, sharp shock ban." Evidently it worked.
Appreciate 0