F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > bootmod3 for BMW F series Vehicles - General Discussion
ARMA SPEED

12-06-2018, 03:49 PM   #551
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastActionJax View Post
Yeah I was able to get back in, the CEL was a bunch of random things not motor related, like chassis stabilization, mirror not functioning, heated seat malfunction etc. cleared them and everything is working as it should. no more CEL. I just worry about the constant drain from being left plugged in, I'm sure I'll receive some feedback from others running the little black box though. So far so good
I'm pretty sure USB power shuts off 10 minutes after engine off and even sooner if it detects battery drain to a certain level. Either way you can unplug the USB power to OBD box every time to be sure. Or if you don't mind wiring DIY, here is what I did with Amazon parts.

Finished button install. This button also makes it easy for me because I have a crApple iPhone and sometimes have to switch the OBD agent off mess with hotspot then turn agent back on.
Name:  installed.JPG
Views: 429
Size:  178.3 KB

Button
Name:  button.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  17.1 KB

Fused USB port. This one only has one USB port, there are some with two that I may switch out for. The convenient part about this, is that I can just get a different SAE connected USB port and the tapped wiring stays in place.
Name:  fusedUSB.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  22.0 KB

Wire taps
Name:  Taps.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  23.6 KB

OBD cable
Name:  OBDcable.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  13.3 KB

90° USB Power cable. 3ft would work I got 4ft.
Name:  USBpower.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  25.0 KB

Mark piece of paper and double tape on back of panel. I drilled small 1/16" holes in all four corners then along the edges before cutting with an exacto.
Name:  Panel.JPG
Views: 438
Size:  104.5 KB

Shave edges until button snaps in tight.
Name:  button in.JPG
Views: 417
Size:  107.9 KB

Open back panel on center console where rear passanger has 12v port. Unplug the connector from 12v port (circled in green). Use two female wire taps to tap positive (Red/Yellow) and negative (brown) wires. Cut the bare ends of the amazon USB fused USB port and install the male ends and secure to the female ends. The extra wire and fuse can be easily tucked into the area labelled GAP in the photo. Then put the panel all back together.
Name:  tap in.JPG
Views: 425
Size:  208.5 KB

Fish the two wires up through the button hole you cut out and wire to button. I used a button that toggles both negative and positive. I then used automotive cloth wire harness tape to secure it all.
Name:  harness.JPG
Views: 418
Size:  152.1 KB

Drop the panel under your steering wheel. There are three clips and two nuts holding it in place. I have an auto so the pocket where the clutch pedal would be is a perfect fit for BM3 agent. You can mount anywhere under here though.
Name:  BM3location.JPG
Views: 417
Size:  182.0 KB

You can see where I routed and taped the USB power cable to the panel then to the USB power port.
Name:  powerUSBroute.JPG
Views: 422
Size:  181.0 KB

It's hard to see in the photo. I taped the BM3 OBD cable to the OBD extension cable then tucked and foam taped the assembly as seen in the photo (green outline representing BM3 OBD cable). I first went with a ribbon style OBD cable from Amazon but that failed I think I kinked the cable too much, so I went with a more robust cable version.
Name:  OBD.JPG
Views: 412
Size:  151.7 KB

Install the panel back and there is plenty of room for the OBD extension cable to fit between the left panel and panel you just reinstalled. This is also easy to remove and plug in OBD tools when needed. There is a passthrough type OBD extension cable but thats what I tried first and the bend i put in the ribbon cable seemed to kill the cable.
Name:  OBD90.JPG
Views: 515
Size:  140.6 KB

Lastly connect and tuck the USB power cable and USB cable up into the center console, there is plenty of room.
Name:  USB.JPG
Views: 470
Size:  117.1 KB
║ VRSF HD FMIC ║ ER DP custom paint ║ AWE cat back Exhaust Suite ║ NGK Plugs ║Bootmod3 Stage 1 93 ║ GFB DV+ ║ BMS 10mm Front ⁞ 12mm Rear Spacers ║ P Style BSM Rear Spoiler ║ Smoked Front Reflectors ║ Madico Onyx 20 Tint ║ LCI Lighted Trim Bezel ║ Opti-Coat Pro+ ║

Last edited by Noelified; 12-06-2018 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 6
      12-06-2018, 04:08 PM   #552
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 328i Sport 6MT

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelified View Post
I'm pretty sure USB power shuts off 10 minutes after engine off and even sooner if it detects battery drain to a certain level. Either way you can unplug the USB power to OBD box every time to be sure. Or if you don't mind wiring DIY, here is what I did with Amazon parts.

Finished button install. This button also makes it easy for me because I have a crApple iPhone and sometimes have to switch the OBD agent off mess with hotspot then turn agent back on.
This is great brother! thanks! I will Definitely be doing this as soon as I get some time, I also have an Iphone so now I guess I know why I have connectivity issues lol.
BootMod3 stage 2 93 octane AGG| K&N Drop In| Turner Motorsports Intercooler| BMS Catchcan| FTP Chargepipe & TIC| MST Turbo Intake Pipe| CW Catless Downpipe| BAV Coils| KW DDC Coilovers| Active Autowerke Exhaust| CF Mirrors| CF Spoiler| Rohana RFX11| Black Painted Roof| @instagram.com/fastactionjax/
@youtube.com/fastactionjax/
Appreciate 1
Noelified228.00
      12-06-2018, 05:42 PM   #553
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:
Damn man, that deserves it's own thread! Awesome work I don't have the agent like I said before and get by just fine with my laptop and cable, but this is definitely a cool setup and I'm sure very convenient.

Also agree that the power goes out after 10 or so minutes. I leave my radar detector plugged into the cigarette lighter, and it turns off a little while after I leave the car.
      12-06-2018, 05:55 PM   #554
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
Damn man, that deserves it's own thread! Awesome work I don't have the agent like I said before and get by just fine with my laptop and cable, but this is definitely a cool setup and I'm sure very convenient.

Also agree that the power goes out after 10 or so minutes. I leave my radar detector plugged into the cigarette lighter, and it turns off a little while after I leave the car.
Noelified I agree! you should post a thread for this, really great info.

rjdnyy224 How do you datalog without the black box? going to take some time to really learn everything I need to know about BM3. do you have to carry your laptop to log?
BootMod3 stage 2 93 octane AGG| K&N Drop In| Turner Motorsports Intercooler| BMS Catchcan| FTP Chargepipe & TIC| MST Turbo Intake Pipe| CW Catless Downpipe| BAV Coils| KW DDC Coilovers| Active Autowerke Exhaust| CF Mirrors| CF Spoiler| Rohana RFX11| Black Painted Roof| @instagram.com/fastactionjax/
Appreciate 1
Noelified228.00
      12-06-2018, 07:12 PM   #555
meltbox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi GT (F34/N20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyFkinCrocker View Post
For what it is worth, I would experience this from time to time completely stock. I know precisely what you are talking about as several times I though the ASS kicked in too early (while I was still rolling to a stop) but the car was still on. My (non-expert) theory is that ASS works in such a way that it starts to cut fuel just before the engine shuts off (for emissions reasons I'd imagine). This likely works just fine in most cases, but in some cases (like mine and yours) we get a major stumble from the fuel cut. Again...this is all just speculation based on anecdotal evidence, so digest with a large grain of salt.
I get it with ASS off. Although I know what you are talking about too. I have gotten that with ASS on if the car thought I was about to stop but then I let off the brake.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #556
MrZeeMan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Quote:

rjdnyy224 How do you datalog without the black box? going to take some time to really learn everything I need to know about BM3. do you have to carry your laptop to log?

You can build your own bm3 wifi agent for about $50. Real easy, I just made mine today., It took less than 5 minutes to out everything together.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 07:41 PM   #557
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZeeMan View Post
You can build your own bm3 wifi agent for about $50. Real easy, I just made mine today., It took less than 5 minutes to out everything together.
Yeah I built mine back in May, cost about $65 for the parts back then.
║ VRSF HD FMIC ║ ER DP custom paint ║ AWE cat back Exhaust Suite ║ NGK Plugs ║Bootmod3 Stage 1 93 ║ GFB DV+ ║ BMS 10mm Front ⁞ 12mm Rear Spacers ║ P Style BSM Rear Spoiler ║ Smoked Front Reflectors ║ Madico Onyx 20 Tint ║ LCI Lighted Trim Bezel ║ Opti-Coat Pro+ ║
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 07:46 PM   #558
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yep, plug into the OBII with the cord and put the laptop in the passenger seat, or if I have a passenger have them hold it. Kind of a pain, but for once every 3 or so weeks when I run a few logs, not the end of the world.
      12-07-2018, 09:08 AM   #559
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yep, plug into the OBII with the cord and put the laptop in the passenger seat, or if I have a passenger have them hold it. Kind of a pain, but for once every 3 or so weeks when I run a few logs, not the end of the world.
Noelified

I have some more questions if you guys dont mind I ask them, How do you read the logs? I sent one to myself last night and it said download csv file then when I download it its blank. Also I keep throwing CEL's for the same minor crap? Passenger antenna break, left heated mirror malfunction. Everytime I clear it it comes back. I've never thrown these codes before the tune and I bought the tune so I didnt have to look at the CEL anymore lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 09:11 AM   #560
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZeeMan View Post
Yeah I did that, built it the day before yesterday, It's convenient and a pain at the same time cause I have an Iphone, has trouble connecting but once you do your good. I'm having other small issues. you can read above^
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 01:50 PM   #561
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Noelified

I have some more questions if you guys dont mind I ask them, How do you read the logs? I sent one to myself last night and it said download csv file then when I download it its blank. Also I keep throwing CEL's for the same minor crap? Passenger antenna break, left heated mirror malfunction. Everytime I clear it it comes back. I've never thrown these codes before the tune and I bought the tune so I didnt have to look at the CEL anymore lol.
It's easier not to download them. Log into your BM3 account online and click on Datalogs. http://www.bootmod3.net
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 494
Size:  43.6 KB
Then in the right click next to the datalog you want to look and a context menu will drop. Select View Graph. From there you should see everything and disable all the points you don't want to see in the graph. It's dynamic and does not save you can do whatever changes you want with hurting it. You can also select Share to get a link that you can post for others to look at.
Name:  Capture2.PNG
Views: 481
Size:  126.4 KB
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301997.00
      12-07-2018, 04:26 PM   #562
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's easier not to download them. Log into your BM3 account online and click on Datalogs. http://www.bootmod3.net

Then in the right click next to the datalog you want to look and a context menu will drop. Select View Graph. From there you should see everything and disable all the points you don't want to see in the graph. It's dynamic and does not save you can do whatever changes you want with hurting it. You can also select Share to get a link that you can post for others to look at.
Didn't want to misinform cuz I wasn't sure if it was the same process for those who use the agent but looks like it's the same. FastActionJax The logs should upload to your account where you can login online and do what he specified above.
      12-07-2018, 04:37 PM   #563
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Attachment 1950664
Attachment 1950666
Quote:
Yeah I tried that too. Nothing. idk maybe if I didnt log it correctly although it shows a log. nothing is loading on the site, if I share it or try to download it. I'll have to keep playing with it. My first impressions are not great though.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 04:58 PM   #564
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah I tried that too. Nothing. idk maybe if I didnt log it correctly although it shows a log. nothing is loading on the site, if I share it or try to download it. I'll have to keep playing with it. My first impressions are not great though.
Take a screen capture like I did so we can see it. Does each log display the dwell time you were recording? Look at mine it indicate 16 secs. What do yours show?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 07:15 PM   #565
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Weird. I've had issues before, when I still tried to log with an internet connection (mobile hotspot) where I would run a log and it wouldn't show up. Sounds like the same issue you're having.

OH! lol I remember reaching out to PTF about this issue just as I'm writing this. Part of solving that was switching to offline mode, but here's what I did when my logs weren't showing up on my datalogs page and it fixed it: go to the home page and click the hamburger menu in the top left. Click the about tab, and then hit reset settings. This fixed a problem I had that sounds like a similar problem to what you are having. Again though, I don't have experience logging with an agent device so YMMV, but this worked when I was logging with my laptop.

As a sidenote, maybe try logging with a laptop and cable if you can just to see if the issue is tied directly to the agent device.
      12-07-2018, 07:36 PM   #566
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Take a screen capture like I did so we can see it. Does each log display the dwell time you were recording? Look at mine it indicate 16 secs. What do yours show?
here's the link to my log http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5c09d433ae729b4567a9c1a1 it shows 953seconds

I understand that I'm new to all this and it will take some time to get the hang of it, I also have a modified stock exhaust that failed last night while doing pulls trying to log so my car is also running like crap right now with a big hole in the muffler (my MIG welds Failed) So I cant judge the tune itself at the moment, it hasnt been holding boost since it happened so I'm going to order the Remus or Active axleback and when that gets installed I'll see if the car is running any better. I just want to get all this software issues figured out in the meantime.

P.s. I wanted to do a nicer Exhaust system but my muffler failure was unexpected so I have to settle and side note, I really appreciate the time you're taking to try to help me out with this.

Last edited by FastActionJax; 12-07-2018 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 07:38 PM   #567
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Weird. I've had issues before, when I still tried to log with an internet connection (mobile hotspot) where I would run a log and it wouldn't show up. Sounds like the same issue you're having.

OH! lol I remember reaching out to PTF about this issue just as I'm writing this. Part of solving that was switching to offline mode, but here's what I did when my logs weren't showing up on my datalogs page and it fixed it: go to the home page and click the hamburger menu in the top left. Click the about tab, and then hit reset settings. This fixed a problem I had that sounds like a similar problem to what you are having. Again though, I don't have experience logging with an agent device so YMMV, but this worked when I was logging with my laptop.

As a sidenote, maybe try logging with a laptop and cable if you can just to see if the issue is tied directly to the agent device.
I will definitely try that, I cant try the laptop thing right now cause my Laptop was destroyed in the hurricane. I only have my desktop. I just want to get it figured out so I can be ready and have the software down when I sort the problem above out^^

I also really appreciate all the help brother!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 07:50 PM   #568
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I will definitely try that, I cant try the laptop thing right now cause my Laptop was destroyed in the hurricane. I only have my desktop. I just want to get it figured out so I can be ready and have the software down when I sort the problem above out^^

I also really appreciate all the help brother!
Sounds good fingers crossed for you Let me know if it works!

Also, if it's any consolation: I'm sure you can tell that I'm a big fan of BM3 and even I had a fair share of issues when I first got it (similar little stuff). After they were all worked out though, it's been butter. And all your stuff seems benign as far as the well-being of the car goes, just headaches. Anyway, hope you get it sorted soon!
      12-07-2018, 07:57 PM   #569
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Sounds good fingers crossed for you Let me know if it works!

Also, if it's any consolation: I'm sure you can tell that I'm a big fan of BM3 and even I had a fair share of issues when I first got it (similar little stuff). After they were all worked out though, it's been butter. And all your stuff seems benign as far as the well-being of the car goes, just headaches. Anyway, hope you get it sorted soon!
Yeah I'm sure with time it'll all get worked out, once I fix the exhaust if I still have CEL/runability issues Ill contact PTF and I'm sure they'll fix it. I think I need to pick up a cheap laptop too because it takes 50 tries to get the OBD agent to link with an Iphone lol. Again thanks for all your help. I'm sure I'll love it too in the End. Coming from Dinan I'm still just a tad bit nervous about it and it's easy to hate on things you dont yet get. everyone does it lol.

one more question though, whats the AGG tunes?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 08:07 PM   #570
jkwhar
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Xdrive | F15 x35i

Quote:
Yeah I'm sure with time it'll all get worked out, once I fix the exhaust if I still have CEL/runability issues Ill contact PTF and I'm sure they'll fix it. I think I need to pick up a cheap laptop too because it takes 50 tries to get the OBD agent to link with an Iphone lol. Again thanks for all your help. I'm sure I'll love it too in the End. Coming from Dinan I'm still just a tad bit nervous about it and it's easy to hate on things you dont yet get. everyone does it lol.

Heres my 2 cents from past experience. Try running a log for like 10~30 seconds. Also, during the log, if you go to dashboard, do you see the gauges moving around? If it doesn't, it wont log anything as theres no data being pulled from your car.

Also, regarding your CEL, I'm guessing you have have a downpipe? If so, do you have both the o2 sensors hooked up? When I did mine, I didn't install my downstream(after the cat) and it would throw the CEL. I contacted PTF and they said I do need both o2 sensors installed and that fixed my CEL for cat related CEL.

Lastly, I, myself, came from dinan sportstronic too. BM3 feels soo much better.

Good luck!

FOR SALE! Sport line Steering wheel with heated, paddle shifter, vibration motor, no airbag | EDM Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights (SOLD) | surround view retrofit kit (sold) | KAFAS2 camera and ECU | FLA camera(sold) | 6WB cluster (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #571
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwhar View Post
Heres my 2 cents from past experience. Try running a log for like 10~30 seconds. Also, during the log, if you go to dashboard, do you see the gauges moving around? If it doesn't, it wont log anything as theres no data being pulled from your car.

Also, regarding your CEL, I'm guessing you have have a downpipe? If so, do you have both the o2 sensors hooked up? When I did mine, I didn't install my downstream(after the cat) and it would throw the CEL. I contacted PTF and they said I do need both o2 sensors installed and that fixed my CEL for cat related CEL.

Lastly, I, myself, came from dinan sportstronic too. BM3 feels soo much better.

Good luck!
the CEL wasnt for the CAT, Im having no issues there. it was for petty things. one was for passenger side antenna broke and the other said heated mirror malfunction. I've never thrown those before, both are fine too (dont even have heated mirrors lol) also got the chassis malfunction BM3 says was an Xdrive issue. it's weird. I do need to work out the muffler issue first before anything though. it was holding boost and running fine before my welds went on my modded muffler. BUT now that you mention it my BM3 gauges were not working during the log so I guess it wasnt connected properly? I'm just going to have to deal with it like it is for 2 weeks until I can get the new muffler on. May have to ride the bike and park the car. Wouldnt want to risk messing anything up. It's a little chilly for the bike too, dont know why I also want to mess with things in the winter time lol
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 10:37 PM   #572
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yessir

AGG stands for aggressive, as in, aggressive pops/burbles/backfires/gunshots. I run stage 2 AGG and get some pretty wild backfires when I make a low gear downshift or let off in the upper rpms. Highly recommend it