F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Newbie Looking for Suggestions
proTUNING Freaks

02-05-2019, 03:16 PM   #1
Cheji18
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Newbie Looking for Suggestions

It's been a long wait, but I am very happy to say I am now a proud new owner of a Bimmer! So happy to be joining you guys.

Recently traded my Honda and bought a glacier silver 2015 328i Sport Line with M-Sport suspension. It's like a whole new world of driving and performance has been unveiled, and I'm loving every second of it!

I want to make some cosmetic changes to make my F30 stand out, So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what to add or change to make this car my very own. I'm trying to stay away from the M-Sport aero kit (though if it were cheaper, I'd go for it in a heartbeat), and am having a hard time deciding on the first things to do. I'd really appreciate any feedback.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 05:17 PM   #2
viajealmundo
Private
Rep
Drives: F32 428xi

Welcome to the club! That is a great first choice and I hope you enjoy your new BMW.
First thing is first. Cosmetic changes are fun, but make sure you have money set aside for repairs. The N20 engines are fairly solid, but it is still important to remember to keep money aside for regular repairs (as found on the iDrive) and unexpected repairs, as well.

The first thing I would start with to really make your car have that aggressive, sporty look is swapping the grilles for all-black versions sold by BMW. This might come standard with Sport line (I would hope it is!)

The second thing is WHEELS! I got a rather boring set of rims on my 2015 428i coupe, and I'm looking for some more interesting OEM wheels. This really is a major part of the vehicle and can change how it looks drastically.

There are small upgrades you can do here and there that people have differing opinions on. Many people like to paint-match the amber reflectors on the side the vehicle, or swap the iDrive screen (from the smaller one to the larger 8.8" screen), or do the ever-so-popular rear fog light mod.

I suggest you continue to look through this forum. Careful, though, you'll definitely get addicted!

Since you are new to BMW and this forum, let me give you a few clarifications. Your car is from the F3X generation, aka 3 Series produced from 2011-2018 and 4 Series from 2013-present. If your car is a sedan, it is F30. It might be confusing because some tutorials are code-specific. Read up more here.

Please reach out to me if you have any questions about your BMW. We have the same car except mine is a coupe.
Appreciate 2
sspade2460.00
      02-07-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
Cheji18
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viajealmundo View Post
Welcome to the club! That is a great first choice and I hope you enjoy your new BMW.
First thing is first. Cosmetic changes are fun, but make sure you have money set aside for repairs. The N20 engines are fairly solid, but it is still important to remember to keep money aside for regular repairs (as found on the iDrive) and unexpected repairs, as well.

The first thing I would start with to really make your car have that aggressive, sporty look is swapping the grilles for all-black versions sold by BMW. This might come standard with Sport line (I would hope it is!)

The second thing is WHEELS! I got a rather boring set of rims on my 2015 428i coupe, and I'm looking for some more interesting OEM wheels. This really is a major part of the vehicle and can change how it looks drastically.

There are small upgrades you can do here and there that people have differing opinions on. Many people like to paint-match the amber reflectors on the side the vehicle, or swap the iDrive screen (from the smaller one to the larger 8.8" screen), or do the ever-so-popular rear fog light mod.

I suggest you continue to look through this forum. Careful, though, you'll definitely get addicted!

Since you are new to BMW and this forum, let me give you a few clarifications. Your car is from the F3X generation, aka 3 Series produced from 2011-2018 and 4 Series from 2013-present. If your car is a sedan, it is F30. It might be confusing because some tutorials are code-specific. Read up more here.

Please reach out to me if you have any questions about your BMW. We have the same car except mine is a coupe.
Hey thanks! I'll be sure to PM you whenever I have a question! I've been going back and forth between my stock kidney grilles and the all black ones. I like the meaner look, and I'm definitely a sporty>luxury guy but I really like how sleek the chrome outer ring looks. I'll have to think more on it. What are your thoughts on spoilers? I'm debating whether or not it'll enhance the look.

Thanks again for your reply!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #4
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
What's your budget and got pics of your car? I would definitely go black grills, look a lot better. And spoiler adds a nice touch in the back!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 05:27 PM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Welcome! I am sure you are already taking the longer route to work and back.

Cosmetic modifications compete with performance modifications in the upgrade budget. Wheels that you can call your own is one of the earliest and often best looking changes.

Improving suspension behavior almost always becomes a priority later. :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 08:06 AM   #6
Cheji18
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailec View Post
What's your budget and got pics of your car? I would definitely go black grills, look a lot better. And spoiler adds a nice touch in the back!
I think I've decided to go black if I get the M sport kit! Just not ready to spend 3k on parts labor and painting just yet haha! Definitely going to go for the spoiler! What do you think, CF or gloss black on glacier silver?

Budget is around the 1.5k mark.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 08:09 AM   #7
Cheji18
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post

Cosmetic modifications compete with performance modifications in the upgrade budget. Wheels that you can call your own is one of the earliest and often best looking changes.

Haha unfortunately, I live right down the street of my office! But I've never driven as much as I have been lately. Feels great! Think I'm wearing something down though, I've been noticing some grinding under the pedals. Oh man, wheels do sound nice. I noticed the previous owner curbed the crap out of the existing wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 08:10 AM   #8
Cheji18
Rep

I'll post some pics as soon as I get the chance!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 10:56 AM   #9
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheji18 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post

Haha unfortunately, I live right down the street of my office! But I've never driven as much as I have been lately. Feels great! Think I'm wearing something down though, I've been noticing some grinding under the pedals. Oh man, wheels do sound nice. I noticed the previous owner curbed the crap out of the existing wheels.
The ultimate driving conflict inside the mind of a BMW owner: how to elongate the commute. :-).

Just have a great time with cosmetic or performance modifications. It's your car! From the collective experience which includes my friends, every time you choose to power through a clover leaf ramp, the background voice begins to chant "stop wishing for do overs, get real with coilovers". This voice doesn't go away.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2019, 11:51 AM   #10
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I think I've decided to go black if I get the M sport kit! Just not ready to spend 3k on parts labor and painting just yet haha! Definitely going to go for the spoiler! What do you think, CF or gloss black on glacier silver?

Budget is around the 1.5k mark.
That depends on you and whether you'll commit to a cohesive look. If you do CF spoiler, any additional cosmetic stuff should be CF too in order to make sure it doesn't look mismatched. This can be a little pricier if you're okay with that. If your budget is 1500 my actual first suggestion would be steering wheel if you don't have the M Sport one!
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2019, 08:21 PM   #11
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Congrats on the car

The single most effective cosmetic (and in most cases handling/performance) upgrade you can do is wheels and tires. They completely change the look of the car, and really makes it feel special walking up to it. You can just look at my signature to see what I've done cosmetically, but I think M3 style grilles and spoiler are a great touch to make it stand out a bit as well.
      02-09-2019, 10:20 PM   #12
NCDan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 430i Convertible

Hi, I am Dan. I just bought my First BMW, 2019 430i convertible. Yes, I traded in a Porsche and happy about my new car. Can anyone help me find a connection location inside the cab of the BMW to connect my radar detector? I can not even find an inside fuse box. The owner's manual was missing and is to be supplied in a few days? I am happy to be here.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 01:53 PM   #13
viajealmundo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hey thanks! I'll be sure to PM you whenever I have a question! I've been going back and forth between my stock kidney grilles and the all black ones. I like the meaner look, and I'm definitely a sporty>luxury guy but I really like how sleek the chrome outer ring looks. I'll have to think more on it. What are your thoughts on spoilers? I'm debating whether or not it'll enhance the look.

Thanks again for your reply!
The M Performance rear spoiler is probably one of the most common and popular mods. It can be a really easy way to enhance the look of your car without really even trying.

I haven't done it to mine because my car is Alpine White, I really don't love the look of the black spoiler on white paint. It looks much better on gray/black variants.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 01:54 PM   #14
viajealmundo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDan View Post
Hi, I am Dan. I just bought my First BMW, 2019 430i convertible. Yes, I traded in a Porsche and happy about my new car. Can anyone help me find a connection location inside the cab of the BMW to connect my radar detector? I can not even find an inside fuse box. The owner's manual was missing and is to be supplied in a few days? I am happy to be here.
Hi Dan, glad you're enjoying your new BMW! Welcome to the club.

I would suggest you start a new thread as, I'm sure there are people here who have done the mod you are looking for.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 09:06 AM   #15
Cheji18
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailec View Post
Here's my baby!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0