F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Experience with 10.25" android 7.1 HU's
proTUNING Freaks

06-14-2019, 07:45 AM   #2289
laviniu
Registered
Rep
Drives: F32

Android side issues

I've been using a BMW F30 Ugode android unit (7.1) for almost a year and it's been working fine but recently it started to get errors like in the attached picture. Sometimes it shows 'No Signal' but usually it's a graphic error like the picture. It seems to happen a lot if I start Waze to quickly after it boots but it also happens randomly every day.

The BMW iDrive part works perfectly when I switch and even the Android side works because I can hear the music, change it, I hear Waze instructions. If I turn off and on the ignition it works again. Any idea how to fix this? Any way to reboot the system without turning off the ignition switch?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 08:04 AM   #2290
antonius2018
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by laviniu View Post
I've been using a BMW F30 Ugode android unit (7.1) for almost a year and it's been working fine but recently it started to get errors like in the attached picture. Sometimes it shows 'No Signal' but usually it's a graphic error like the picture. It seems to happen a lot if I start Waze to quickly after it boots but it also happens randomly every day.

The BMW iDrive part works perfectly when I switch and even the Android side works because I can hear the music, change it, I hear Waze instructions. If I turn off and on the ignition it works again. Any idea how to fix this? Any way to reboot the system without turning off the ignition switch?
Have you removed and reseated the cables at the rear of the unit?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 08:32 AM   #2291
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

you will find a tiny hole at the back side of the unit, this is for the reset button.
use some paperclip put straight into the hole to press the reset button.

sincerely Chri
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 10:41 AM   #2292
trooper1414
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper1414 View Post
Hi All,

I have a 2015 328i with the NBT Nav. I have already done one of these installs for the first gen Avin for his car (different model). I am now in the market to get one for myself. As i was ready to order, i noticed quite a few vendors now exist including Aliexpress, 4x4shop, so I have the following questions:

1. Who should i order my 10.2 from? Any recommendations?
2. As i was about to order, I read on page #101 of this thread that a 4gb variant is soon to be launched with Android 9 and ID7, anyone have any word on that? If its stable and if thats the specs i should get? I checked with Avin and they confired they will be launching it at the end of the month?
3. I have done a full Bavsound upgrade on my car, so sound quality is very important, will installing the unit make the sound quality suffer?
4. Anything in addition that i need to look out for.

Sorry, I have read quite a few pages on this thread, but i am trying to catch up on the new advancements and how to proceed further.

Any advice here would be helpful, please.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 06:35 AM   #2293
678hug
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 2.0i XLine

Hi,
Looking at getting one of these for my F31 NBT but just wanted a couple of questions answered before I went ahead with it.

If I choose not to connect the Bluetooth on the android side and I make or receive a call, will it (A) notify me of the incoming call and (B) allow me to answer the call via the steering wheel switch without taking it off the android.

I have had android units on previous cars and would prefer to keep the to BMW phone system and mic as it works very well.

Also, do BMW say it invalidates the warranty. I have just extended my warranty for another year and don't want any problems if I need to take it in.

Thanks

Last edited by 678hug; 06-15-2019 at 07:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 10:46 AM   #2294
RuLzgzF30
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Greetings to all, my name is Raúl I write from Spain, I read you for a long time since you do a great job. In order not to stretch out I'll get to the point, I've installed a 10.25 "PX3 screen and when updating the MCU I converted it from NTB to CIC, so the OEM side does not work for me, could someone please provide this file?

012042bJLY-nbt-hw7- 180719 [B1280_170325]

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 11:09 AM   #2295
antonius2018
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 678hug View Post
Hi,
Looking at getting one of these for my F31 NBT but just wanted a couple of questions answered before I went ahead with it.

If I choose not to connect the Bluetooth on the android side and I make or receive a call, will it (A) notify me of the incoming call and (B) allow me to answer the call via the steering wheel switch without taking it off the android.

I have had android units on previous cars and would prefer to keep the to BMW phone system and mic as it works very well.

Also, do BMW say it invalidates the warranty. I have just extended my warranty for another year and don't want any problems if I need to take it in.

Thanks
I have my AvinUSA Android unit precisely as you mention: I don't have BT connected on the Android side and I make and receive calls via the steering wheel and the Android side keeps working normally (for example with GPS active). Note that there are some differences between models and even installations of the Android unit that sometimes have influence on the sound coming from the Aux or note (in my case I didn't connect the Aux cable and I have no problems).

About warranty what I know is that if BMW proves that a "foreign" system caused the problem, obviously the warranty for the damaged part is void, but if it has nothing to do with that, they repair in warranty.

Last edited by antonius2018; 06-15-2019 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 04:33 PM   #2296
maddog_za
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i

Hi all,

I have the PX6 model from AliExpress.

I've been trying to get a bluetooth module/dongle/something working on it with no luck.

The device has a built-in bluetooth module, which is only available for phone calls and streaming music. I want the full bluetooth function in order to connect to apps like Torque.

I stripped the unit and removed the onboard bluetooth module (my desoldering was really bad, but the device still starts and works perfectly without the module). For interests sake, the module is has "FSC-BT510 v1.0" printed on it and has dedicated audio pins on it.

I've tried a few bluetooth dongles on the device, both before and after removing the above module, with no luck. The device doesn't detect it as a bluetooth device in the android system.

I have recently bought an HC-05 module along with the USB to serial cable and being trying to see if that gets detected as a bluetooth module. It seems like the HC-05 is used on Arduino devices, but not really on Android!? I can get into the terminal mode via the USB to serial cable and send it various "AT" commands that i have googled, but that's about it (by now you probably realized that i'm clueless to this and i'm randomly trying stuff and failing).

So, i have another car with a full replacement Android unit (not the piggyback system on these units) and it has 2 bluetooth related apps.. 1 for the bluetooth audio, and another dedicated to the OBD2 bluetooth pairing. This makes me suspect that there is some sort of app out there that uses the HC-05 (or similar) for data transfers in android... i'm still searching, but please feel free to end my pain if you have an app i can use for this?

Also, if you have any other means for me to create full bluetooth functionality on he device (please bear in mind that i have removed the bluetooth module that came in the unit)

My unit is:
PX6
Android 8.1.0
2GB Ram
MCU Ver 615043bALS-NBT-HW7-190320[B1280_170325]
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 06:58 PM   #2297
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog_za View Post
Hi all,

I have the PX6 model from AliExpress.

I've been trying to get a bluetooth module/dongle/something working on it with no luck.

The device has a built-in bluetooth module, which is only available for phone calls and streaming music. I want the full bluetooth function in order to connect to apps like Torque.

I stripped the unit and removed the onboard bluetooth module (my desoldering was really bad, but the device still starts and works perfectly without the module). For interests sake, the module is has "FSC-BT510 v1.0" printed on it and has dedicated audio pins on it.

I've tried a few bluetooth dongles on the device, both before and after removing the above module, with no luck. The device doesn't detect it as a bluetooth device in the android system.

I have recently bought an HC-05 module along with the USB to serial cable and being trying to see if that gets detected as a bluetooth module. It seems like the HC-05 is used on Arduino devices, but not really on Android!? I can get into the terminal mode via the USB to serial cable and send it various "AT" commands that i have googled, but that's about it (by now you probably realized that i'm clueless to this and i'm randomly trying stuff and failing).

So, i have another car with a full replacement Android unit (not the piggyback system on these units) and it has 2 bluetooth related apps.. 1 for the bluetooth audio, and another dedicated to the OBD2 bluetooth pairing. This makes me suspect that there is some sort of app out there that uses the HC-05 (or similar) for data transfers in android... i'm still searching, but please feel free to end my pain if you have an app i can use for this?

Also, if you have any other means for me to create full bluetooth functionality on he device (please bear in mind that i have removed the bluetooth module that came in the unit)

My unit is:
PX6
Android 8.1.0
2GB Ram
MCU Ver 615043bALS-NBT-HW7-190320[B1280_170325]
Probably the Bluetooth module is talking via the MCU with the Android board, or better said to the "BMW" App that is installed on the device, i have the same problem.

A other thing, does someone know what the yellow USB-Connector is for, at my device only the red one does work, the yellow not, is this only for special purpose ?

sincerely Chri
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 01:23 AM   #2298
678hug
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonius2018 View Post
I have my AvinUSA Android unit precisely as you mention: I don't have BT connected on the Android side and I make and receive calls via the steering wheel and the Android side keeps working normally (for example with GPS active). Note that there are some differences between models and even installations of the Android unit that sometimes have influence on the sound coming from the Aux or note (in my case I didn't connect the Aux cable and I have no problems).

About warranty what I know is that if BMW proves that a "foreign" system caused the problem, obviously the warranty for the damaged part is void, but if it has nothing to do with that, they repair in warranty.
Many thanks for your reply. Exactly the information I was after.
Just one other thing, what notification do you receive when you are on the Android side and a call comes in. Is it just the audio ringtone or is there an additional screen alert.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 06:14 AM   #2299
antonius2018
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 678hug View Post
Many thanks for your reply. Exactly the information I was after.
Just one other thing, what notification do you receive when you are on the Android side and a call comes in. Is it just the audio ringtone or is there an additional screen alert.

Thanks
No problem, I think we are here to share experiences with each other.

Nothing happens on the Android side, I get the name of the caller (if it is in my contacts list) or his phone number in the area on the dashboard were the mileage is shown and I can accept or reject the call via the central button on the right side of the steering wheel (the one that rotates). With the same button we can also navigate along the last calls received and dial any of them if we want to.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 06:17 AM   #2300
antonius2018
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
Probably the Bluetooth module is talking via the MCU with the Android board, or better said to the "BMW" App that is installed on the device, i have the same problem.

A other thing, does someone know what the yellow USB-Connector is for, at my device only the red one does work, the yellow not, is this only for special purpose ?

sincerely Chri
I got the Avin USA unit with a yellow and a red USB connector and both ports work correctly.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 07:34 AM   #2301
haxx94
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by __fred__ View Post
I've got another present for you:

The brightness is controllable through an android intent. Now it's a bit tricky, because its a toggle, that toggles between the 4 brightness levels:

0 = 0% brightness
1 = 33% brightness
2 = 66% brightness
3 = 100% brightness.

The intent is sent by the status bar when the button is pressed in the function area of the drop down menu. But you can ofcourse send it programmatically.

The intent is named:

com.android.quicksetting.BROADCAST

and it has extra string data attached:

msg "backlight"

You can probably toggle it from adb with the following command:

Code:
adb shell am broadcast -a com.android.quicksetting.BROADCAST 
--es msg "backlight"
Now, you don't want to do this from adb, but you could also do it with e.g. Tasker

Remember that you probably have to send multiple intents to toggle the levels with a bit of delay in between. I will create a new version of EventCenter.apk that will directly control the brightness level through an intent, but for now, this is already available.
I have to try this commands and do a tasker routine, thanks!
Please let me know when you create the eventCenter.apk that will directly control the brightness
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 10:53 AM   #2302
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by haxx94 View Post
I have to try this commands and do a tasker routine, thanks!
Please let me know when you create the eventCenter.apk that will directly control the brightness
The new Android 8.1 Update from May 2019 has already Brightness Controll integrated into the eventcenter.apk

sincerely Chri
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 01:28 PM   #2303
pulare
Rep
Drives: Bmw 520D F11 2014

Quote:
The new Android 8.1 Update from May 2019 has already Brightness Controll integrated into the eventcenter.apk

sincerely Chri
Is this update from AVIN ?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 03:22 PM   #2304
Svenson
Private
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Hello,
who can explain the function of mapApkLst.txt from OEM folder?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 03:29 PM   #2305
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulare View Post
Is this update from AVIN ?
Don`t know if it`s from AVIN or from the original developer from China, i have it from here.

I think as long as it has the same Framework / CPU it probably will work, but i`m not that anroid guy to know how compatible different images are between hardware.

maybe only the evencenter.apk testing will be a saver method ?

sincerely Chri
Appreciate 1
foo200261.50
      06-16-2019, 03:47 PM   #2306
__fred__
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 series E60, Mercedes S

Quote:

sincerely Chri
No it has not. That is your rear camera brightness, and it is not modifyable through an intent. It also has been in the software since the start.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #2307
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by __fred__ View Post
No it has not. That is your rear camera brightness, and it is not modifyable through an intent. It also has been in the software since the start.
Please check the picture i hade attached, its definitly not the camera brightness, its the backlight brightness of the Display itself.
The upper is with 0% the lower with 100%, you can see that the whole display brightness is different, its even more in real life.
The Brightness level is on every screen then, its not only on camera.

I don`t know why they have made it under the Camera settings, its wrong there.

sincerely Chri
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 06:46 PM   #2308
antonius2018
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenson View Post
Hello,
who can explain the function of mapApkLst.txt from OEM folder?
I think it's a list of map apps so that the sound of these apps is routed to the loudspeaker that is situated close to the steering column, so that we keep listening to the map app instructions even if we are on the original car side.
I use TomTom as Map app, so I added the name of the App to this list and I got the result I mentioned.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2019, 11:50 PM   #2309
trooper1414
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper1414 View Post
Hi All,

I have a 2015 328i with the NBT Nav. I have already done one of these installs for the first gen Avin for his car (different model). I am now in the market to get one for myself. As i was ready to order, i noticed quite a few vendors now exist including Aliexpress, 4x4shop, so I have the following questions:

1. Who should i order my 10.2 from? Any recommendations?
2. As i was about to order, I read on page #101 of this thread that a 4gb variant is soon to be launched with Android 9 and ID7, anyone have any word on that? If its stable and if thats the specs i should get? I checked with Avin and they confired they will be launching it at the end of the month?
3. I have done a full Bavsound upgrade on my car, so sound quality is very important, will installing the unit make the sound quality suffer?
4. Anything in addition that i need to look out for.

Sorry, I have read quite a few pages on this thread, but i am trying to catch up on the new advancements and how to proceed further.
Any advice here, please I am interested in getting one soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 01:27 AM   #2310
678hug
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonius2018 View Post
No problem, I think we are here to share experiences with each other.

Nothing happens on the Android side, I get the name of the caller (if it is in my contacts list) or his phone number in the area on the dashboard were the mileage is shown and I can accept or reject the call via the central button on the right side of the steering wheel (the one that rotates). With the same button we can also navigate along the last calls received and dial any of them if we want to.
Many thanks for responding.
As long as it shows up somewhere I'm happy. Now to work out which unit to purchase.
Appreciate 0