F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Transfer Case Failures Database
GetBMWParts

04-09-2019, 04:32 AM   #111
Gaz2309
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31 2.0i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeikei View Post
If you will pay it yourself try first if oil change helps. I have heard of many cases where a double flush oil change has cured the symptoms so it may not be too late.
Thanks, I have had the oil changed and didn't make any difference at all. Thanks for info though.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 02:38 PM   #112
opinion914
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 N47

Has anyone dug into the failures to see what component is casing the grief? The reports of studder and jerking suggest it's not the clutch pack as that would be more of a slipping than jerking. Perhaps the actuator that engages/releases the clutches, as if the signal is being interrupted momentarily? I'd love to know what's going on w/ these internally should *knock on wood* it ever come my way.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 04:45 PM   #113
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by opinion914 View Post
Has anyone dug into the failures to see what component is casing the grief? The reports of studder and jerking suggest it's not the clutch pack as that would be more of a slipping than jerking. Perhaps the actuator that engages/releases the clutches, as if the signal is being interrupted momentarily? I'd love to know what's going on w/ these internally should *knock on wood* it ever come my way.
Enabled made a good thread on one root cause.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 05:01 PM   #114
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

Quote:
Oh it's comin your way, you just wait.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 02:53 AM   #115
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Quote:
It's mostly not the clutch pack failing. It is the splines on the rear output flange. Had it been bolted on, the problem would never really happen.

The jerking and slipping is due to the movement on the splines. When it gets to the point of slipping, it's nearly ready to freewheel on the shaft.

A momentary lapse in the actuator would immediately throw codes and check control messages. The actuator module is quite nicely built, much improved over the previous gen motor. It's a brushless motor turning all metal worm gears, as opposed to the plastics from before.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2019, 05:11 AM   #116
opinion914
Private First Class
Rep

Ah. Hence these posts about an ounce of Loctite being worth a pound of cure. Good to know. The dealerships are replacing entire TC's due to a worn shaft though? Somewhere there must be a pile of good TC's that just need new output shafts. Wouldn't it be the front output shafts though?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 06:55 AM   #117
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 328d

Quote:
Ah. Hence these posts about an ounce of Loctite being worth a pound of cure. Good to know. The dealerships are replacing entire TC's due to a worn shaft though? Somewhere there must be a pile of good TC's that just need new output shafts. Wouldn't it be the front output shafts though?
The output shaft connects to the rear driveshaft, the front is controlled by the torque module and is usually not affected. the splines on the output shaft and the teeth on the flange both get worn which requires a complete teardown to rectify. I made a post about rebuilding the TC, but I didn't replace the output shaft due to parts inavailability. The fix survived about 25k with just flange replacement alone (I also did the bearings and seals). But assuming no shavings got into the bearings, a complete rebuild theoretically would include just replacing the output shaft and flange which would cost around $500. That plus the loctite fix and all rubber coupler should make these time bombs last 100k plus I would imagine.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 09:19 AM   #118
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I have a 2015 X3 2.8i and a 2016 435 x-drive. I recently started experiencing an oscillation feeling and jerkiness at around 100 kph when accelerating in my X3. About a month earlier, I had new tires installed followed by an alignment. I noted my new tires were severely feathered so I had my alignment checked and it was confirmed to still be within spec. After some research, I came across many threads about transfer case issues with the X3 and related tire wear. My dealer confirmed it is a known issue and as a first step, has changed the oil in my transfer case. (I would like to know how an oil change is expected to correct this issue). I am now about 1000 km since having the oil changed and although it is significantly better than before, I now feel it to a lesser degree between 60 and 70 kph. I am also noticing it while turning at low speeds. I have contacted my dealer to further address the issue/change the transfer case. I started noticing these issues on my X3 around 72,000 km. With this knowledge of this with my X3, I’m now concerned that this will also appear at some point with my 435 which currently has 51,000 km. Do the 6 cylinder vehicles use the same transfer case as on the 4’s? Most of the transfer case complaints seem to be with the 4 cylinder variants so I’m curious what I should expect with my 435 as I only have a few months left to my warranty. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 09:23 AM   #119
opinion914
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark View Post
My dealer confirmed it is a known issue and as a first step, has changed the oil in my transfer case. (I would like to know how an oil change is expected to correct this issue).
Perhaps it's not a work shaft causing the jerking but rather a worn/contaminated clutch pack. An oil change would help if it's a clutch.
K
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 09:52 AM   #120
BMWbill
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 M-Sport wagon, E46 M3

You are experiencing oscillation at highway speeds which is very different than most of the reported problems on this thread. At highway speeds your engine is not being stressed except when you accelerate hard. Therefore your transfer case is not being stressed hard either. For this reason I do not suspect it is your transfer case that is causing this oscillation. (full disclosure I am no engineer or driveline technician) I had my own transfer case replaced twice under BMW because under hard acceleration, with engine passing its full torque through the transfer case, I felt instant slipping which caused the car to hesitate rapidly in the forward direction. It was easy to feel this hesitation which was very different than a vibration of unbalanced tires or bent wheels. Are you sure your X3 doesn't have an oblong rim caused by a large pothole? I have had this oblong wheel issue with many of my M-sport rims already. It will not show up in an alignment and typically it doesn't even show up on a wheel balancing machine. I had to send my wheels out to a race shop that does high speed balancing and they were able to true my rims back to round until the next pothole... My vibrations from bent rims didn't really show up until speeds of 75-100 mph though. I'm not saying you have a bent wheel, as an X3 probably has more rubber between the rim and street so your wheels are probably far more durable than mine, but you should rule out the possibility at least. (The way I diagnosed my bent rims was by switching to my winter wheels and the vibrations stopped)

Quote:
I have a 2015 X3 2.8i and a 2016 435 x-drive. I recently started experiencing an oscillation feeling and jerkiness at around 100 kph when accelerating in my X3. About a month earlier, I had new tires installed followed by an alignment. I noted my new tires were severely feathered so I had my alignment checked and it was confirmed to still be within spec. After some research, I came across many threads about transfer case issues with the X3 and related tire wear. My dealer confirmed it is a known issue and as a first step, has changed the oil in my transfer case. (I would like to know how an oil change is expected to correct this issue). I am now about 1000 km since having the oil changed and although it is significantly better than before, I now feel it to a lesser degree between 60 and 70 kph. I am also noticing it while turning at low speeds. I have contacted my dealer to further address the issue/change the transfer case. I started noticing these issues on my X3 around 72,000 km. With this knowledge of this with my X3, I’m now concerned that this will also appear at some point with my 435 which currently has 51,000 km. Do the 6 cylinder vehicles use the same transfer case as on the 4’s? Most of the transfer case complaints seem to be with the 4 cylinder variants so I’m curious what I should expect with my 435 as I only have a few months left to my warranty. Thanks.

F31 Estoril Blue Wagon | E46 Phoenix Yellow M3 | 1958 BMW R50 | 1981 BMW Café Racer
My BMW café racer on BikeEXIF
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 10:04 AM   #121
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbill View Post
You are experiencing oscillation at highway speeds which is very different than most of the reported problems on this thread. At highway speeds your engine is not being stressed except when you accelerate hard. Therefore your transfer case is not being stressed hard either. For this reason I do not suspect it is your transfer case that is causing this oscillation. (full disclosure I am no engineer or driveline technician) I had my own transfer case replaced twice under BMW because under hard acceleration, with engine passing its full torque through the transfer case, I felt instant slipping which caused the car to hesitate rapidly in the forward direction. It was easy to feel this hesitation which was very different than a vibration of unbalanced tires or bent wheels. Are you sure your X3 doesn't have an oblong rim caused by a large pothole? I have had this oblong wheel issue with many of my M-sport rims already. It will not show up in an alignment and typically it doesn't even show up on a wheel balancing machine. I had to send my wheels out to a race shop that does high speed balancing and they were able to true my rims back to round until the next pothole... My vibrations from bent rims didn't really show up until speeds of 75-100 mph though. I'm not saying you have a bent wheel, as an X3 probably has more rubber between the rim and street so your wheels are probably far more durable than mine, but you should rule out the possibility at least. (The way I diagnosed my bent rims was by switching to my winter wheels and the vibrations stopped)
What I was experiencing was definitely not a bent rim. Perhaps my description of oscillating sensation was incorrect. As I hit 100 kph under hard acceleration, the vehicle had a definite jerkiness/hesitation. Once i was no longer accelerating, it disappeared. If it was a rim, I am quite certain a transfer case oil change would not have mostly corrected the issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 10:11 AM   #122
BMWbill
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 M-Sport wagon, E46 M3

Quote:
What I was experiencing was definitely not a bent rim. Perhaps my description of oscillating sensation was incorrect. As I hit 100 kph under hard acceleration, the vehicle had a definite jerkiness/hesitation. Once i was no longer accelerating, it disappeared. If it was a rim, I am quite certain a transfer case oil change would not have mostly corrected the issue.
Indeed, if the jerkiness stopped under full load of the engine then it is not a bent rim. It is odd however that you don't also feel this under full load from a standstill.

F31 Estoril Blue Wagon | E46 Phoenix Yellow M3 | 1958 BMW R50 | 1981 BMW Café Racer
My BMW café racer on BikeEXIF
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #123
zeikei
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Does your X3 have same size rims and tires front and rear?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 10:57 AM   #124
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbill View Post
Indeed, if the jerkiness stopped under full load of the engine then it is not a bent rim. It is odd however that you don't also feel this under full load from a standstill.
Prior to changing the oil in the TC, if I accelerated, as soon as I hit 100-105 kph, I would get a jerkiness. If, just cruising at the same speed, it was not evident. Since the oil change, this occurs to a much lesser degree between 60-70 kph. It seems to be worst when accelerating and going up hill when the engine works harder.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 11:58 AM   #125
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Does your X3 have same size rims and tires front and rear?
Yes, square setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 05:40 AM   #126
clemsonf31
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i wagon

I will add myself to the TC failure list at 41k miles. I, too had symptoms that only manifested under hard acceleration AT SPEED. I could not get any of the ‘studder’ or hesitation taking off from a standstill. I am having the TC replaced and having a rubber guibo installed with it. I will partially disassemble when I get the car back to properly apply Loctite as per Enabled’s recommendation

Max
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 09:54 AM   #127
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Can anyone answer my question above regarding whether the transfer case on a 435 is the same as the one on an X3 2.8i?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 11:07 AM   #128
zeikei
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Can anyone answer my question above regarding whether the transfer case on a 435 is the same as the one on an X3 2.8i?
It is not the same, X3 uses ATC45L while 435 uses ATC35L. That depends on the chassis, not the engine. Usually the smoother running 6 cylinder engines tend to have less transfer case problems.
Appreciate 1
Enabled1397.00
      08-02-2019, 11:12 AM   #129
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It is not the same, X3 uses ATC45L while 435 uses ATC35L. That depends on the chassis, not the engine. Usually the smoother running 6 cylinder engines tend to have less transfer case problems.
Great.....thanks a bunch!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 11:50 AM   #130
zeddladd
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 340 Xdrive

2016 340 with 31k miles - TC replaced due to whine noise.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 02:06 PM   #131
SSportWagon
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31

Getting ready for round 2 - Im already in spreadsheet as #28 in 2017 with 26,500 miles .. now @ 58K and noticed the same symptoms again while 350 miles from home. Thankfully, we made it back uneventfully but I never should have googled to see if complete failure was an issue. I don't think Ive ever been as alert and attentive to every bump creak or vibration for so long a time. I posted in the other thread about user "Enabled" fix/diagnosis and will report back when dealership verifies it is the Xfer case and add yet another line to the spreadsheet
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 09:08 PM   #132
MAXecutive
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive Gran Coupe

Time to bring this thread back alive ...

2015 435i xDrive Gran Coupe
53k miles
Dinan Stage 3 tune - dyno'd 376whp/395wtq
M sport with factory 225/40/19 and 255/35/19 summer tires (rear is 0.4% smaller)

Each winter I swapped to a square 225/45/18 all season setup using OEM Pirelli P7 tires.

The past 3 summers, I ran a different wheel setup of 235/40/19 and 265/35/19 due to wider wheel widths, 19x9 and 19x10. These are the same ratio different as factory, just slightly large diameters.

The car is 99% driven in Sport+ mode and manual shifting. It's driven HARD on the local streets. It's about 95% highway miles and the car had one track day event.

I swapped to my winter wheels the other day and noticed a strange rotational rubbing sound that goes away after ~20mph. I think this may have been a bent rotor dust shield because that issue went away on its own. The main issue is that I was getting ABS lights, chassis stabilization, and all camera warning systems saying limited operation. I took it to a shop and of course it felt 100% normal until I drove home later that day and put the car in reverse. We found these codes that occurred earlier that day:

480682 - Intermittent - VTG (Transfer Box): fault, clutch position unknown
48068C - Intermittent - VTG (Transfer Box): temporary fault, temperature
48097D - Intermittent - VTG (Transfer Box): fault, clutch position known, no four wheel drive
D36D44 - Intermittent - Signal (front axle/rear axle longitudinal torque distribution) invalid, transmitter VTG

The transfer case and the passenger front axle seal are both leaking

Some background ... I put air suspension on the car last summer and noticed I would get chassis stabilization lights on high temp days or during receptive highway bumps. I thought was was due to my KW EDC cancellation module not properly secured in the rear. As soon as I turn the car off and restart it, all codes went away. No fault codes were ever stored for these issues.

Also during the past few months, I noticed that backing up the car into my parking spot at work would usually feel like something was grinding. It just doesn't feel to be rolling smoothly about 85% of the time. Forward direction seems to be fine.

... Is this due to internal clutch failure? My indy shop will most likely be rebuilding the TC if necessary. Thoughts and opinions ???
~ Check out my Instagram: @maxecutive
Appreciate 0