F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Big Boost Custom Turbo with Built Engine ( Mods )
Extreme Powerhouse

07-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #133
baldeagleman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler.genter View Post
Personally speaking I did run meth to get the true performance out of the car but again that was before BM3 came out and the tuning platform of the B58 was today. I still say meth is what these cars need in personal opinion until we do get a LPFP or HPFP or PI.

The real question is are you willing to take the jump to meth? A lot of people are scared to do it I was using it on my engine after 3500 miles & she is now at 16/17k on the odometer and has been meth fed most of her life.

As far as other supporting mods you should be good with a downpipe, PS2's, and a tune ( JB4, MHD, DME Tuning, BM3, Wrench Studios, HC Performance, ext.).
I would prefer to not go with meth, but maybe you can convince me. I am at around 41k on my car with JB4 + MHD BEF and catless downpipe for about 2k of it. Only reason I don't want to go meth is because I daily my car and I don't want to have to be constantly refilling on meth in addition to regular pump gas. How much meth were you consuming on average? Could I have a meth map where I basically won't be using any unless I am going heavy on the throttle?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 01:03 PM   #134
bacon_45
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i BM3 FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeagleman View Post
I would prefer to not go with meth, but maybe you can convince me. I am at around 41k on my car with JB4 + MHD BEF and catless downpipe for about 2k of it. Only reason I don't want to go meth is because I daily my car and I don't want to have to be constantly refilling on meth in addition to regular pump gas. How much meth were you consuming on average? Could I have a meth map where I basically won't be using any unless I am going heavy on the throttle?
Not too knowledgeable on meth but i've heard you can have it shoot after 4k revs.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 01:14 PM   #135
baldeagleman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon_45 View Post
Not too knowledgeable on meth but i've heard you can have it shoot after 4k revs.
Yeah, I've seen that too, but I still want to know how much meth guys consume on average. From what I've seen meth is $8-9 a gallon and I don't want to be buying 10+ gallons a month.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #136
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Yeah, I've seen that too, but I still want to know how much meth guys consume on average. From what I've seen meth is $8-9 a gallon and I don't want to be buying 10+ gallons a month.
A few things

1. A good tune won't use meth all the time. Most people control it based on boost, so for example it'll only spray with you're 5+PSI
2. A good controller will spray progressively. Just like your fuel injectors, more boost = more fuel. So the more you're in boost, the more it'll spray and the faster it'll be used up. So again as an example, it'll turn on at PSI but not spray full tilt until 15 PSI. It's all dependent on how you set it up.
3. Most people I know dilute it with water, so you're doubling your capacity if you mix it 50/50.
4. Average tank probably get's filled every 2-4 weeks. So you'll use a gallon every month or so depending on how heavy your foot is and how much you're spraying.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2019, 05:24 PM   #137
tyler.genter
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryClub007 View Post
Do you know if the PS2 hot side mounts up to the same location as the OEM? As in...can I use my existing CG Downpipe or am I looking at doing something from PURE or custom?
You will be fine with with your downpipe for sure! Custom work shouldn't be something you will need to worry about just yet
      07-15-2019, 05:31 PM   #138
tyler.genter
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I am a little late to this party as it seems like you got some really good responses below but like they said it gradually increases so I have daily-ed my car on meth since the 3500 mile mark the only time you are really spraying is at WOT (again that's how I am set up). I was going through about 4 fill up before I had to to worry about filling my meth tank. I do leave 6 minutes from work so I spend more time warming up my car than I do driving to work so again that is why I daily it.

Meth is definitively something I don't suggest depending on but it does give it a little extra fun in my opinion.

I wish we could post videos on here but if you want to send me a PM or message on Instagram I will glad you send you some videos of the car performing on meth against some big number cars here in GA if you need some more reassurance on meth results and power
      07-15-2019, 05:38 PM   #139
Solid67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive MP Edition

Quote:
So I am a little late to this party as it seems like you got some really good responses below but like they said it gradually increases so I have daily-ed my car on meth since the 3500 mile mark the only time you are really spraying is at WOT (again that's how I am set up). I was going through about 4 fill up before I had to to worry about filling my meth tank. I do leave 6 minutes from work so I spend more time warming up my car than I do driving to work so again that is why I daily it.

Meth is definitively something I don't suggest depending on but it does give it a little extra fun in my opinion.

I wish we could post videos on here but if you want to send me a PM or message on Instagram I will glad you send you some videos of the car performing on meth against some big number cars here in GA if you need some more reassurance on meth results and power
So is port injection a better option or route then meth? Especially the setup that is coming from Twisted Tuning.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 05:44 PM   #140
tyler.genter
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid67 View Post
So is port injection a better option or route then meth? Especially the setup that is coming from Twisted Tuning.
So Twisted Tuning is using Meth on there PI set up essentially it is just replacing the CPI or TBI meth kit that people are running right now and moving locations from what I understand.

I am excited to see what it does because my secondary option is running a secondary fuel rail just trying to to go that route just yet. My goal is to get the car back on the road after all the new updates that we are doing to the car before we start tuning it!
      07-15-2019, 08:36 PM   #141
CntryClub007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i | 2015 X5-50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryClub007 View Post
Do you know if the PS2 hot side mounts up to the same location as the OEM? As in...can I use my existing CG Downpipe or am I looking at doing something from PURE or custom?
It's a stock turbo with modified internals. You can run it with stock intake/downpipe
Just what I was after, thanks!
Appreciate 1
kern4174445.00
      07-15-2019, 08:38 PM   #142
CntryClub007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i | 2015 X5-50i

Quote:
Quote:
A few things

1. A good tune won't use meth all the time. Most people control it based on boost, so for example it'll only spray with you're 5+PSI
2. A good controller will spray progressively. Just like your fuel injectors, more boost = more fuel. So the more you're in boost, the more it'll spray and the faster it'll be used up. So again as an example, it'll turn on at PSI but not spray full tilt until 15 PSI. It's all dependent on how you set it up.
3. Most people I know dilute it with water, so you're doubling your capacity if you mix it 50/50.
4. Average tank probably get's filled every 2-4 weeks. So you'll use a gallon every month or so depending on how heavy your foot is and how much you're spraying.
Yeap - Good reply. My Meth sprays at WOT from my understanding with BMS. Nice that it auto adjusts and not on all the time.

I'd say I go through about 5 gallons a month, so about $50 in 100% VP M1. For $50, it's worth it to me. I used 3 gallons in the last week though hitting the Dyno and everything else I've been doing.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 07:25 AM   #143
tyler.genter
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So just giving some updates on the build the top block is still at the machine shop so we are not expecting the car to be running this month after finding out a few things that needed to be addressed when we did start the car up & had started the break in period cycle. It’s sad to say but god we caught the problems up front.

On a happier not I am SUPER excited to announce my partnership with CaryTheLabelGuy on this build! We talked last night & although this will not be a over night flash & boom make power build. We both bounced some ideas to each other & have some very interesting/exciting stuff that will be soon to come when the car is on the ground!!!

If you haven’t heard or reached out to him about your thoughts on tuning your BMW please highly consider it! His customer service alone is what takes him over the top. We had an hour conversation at midnight about this build & after it all I could say was “fuck yes!” With nothing but excitement!

Here’s to a great friendship! CaryTheLabelGuy
Attached Images

07-17-2019, 01:05 PM   #144
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

What are all of the issues you keep running into? It seems like you've had the block apart 3 times now.
Appreciate 2
Stanio67.00
J3Vr610.50
      07-18-2019, 08:28 PM   #145
tyler.genter
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What are all of the issues you keep running into? It seems like you've had the block apart 3 times now.
I will be going to the shop tomorrow to figure out everything & can better answer that question than!
      07-20-2019, 07:32 PM   #146
tyler.genter
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not one to bring drama into this post so simple answer is please be careful when buying pistons and rods from select people.

With that being said we are taking the build to the next level! The machine shop was able to pull off an entire 1lb off the top block. I am going to be sleeving the motor now & we will be back in action. The build will be on hold for about a month just being honest but the motor will be ready for some real big PSI power. At this rate the only thing left is porting out the heads, valves & springs.

If anyone knows any shops please recommend? If it’s do-able would really be interested in just knocking out everything while the engine is taken apart again haha.

Get ready to make some real power when this car is ready!
Appreciate 1
kern4174445.00
      07-21-2019, 12:20 PM   #147
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Not one to bring drama into this post so simple answer is please be careful when buying pistons and rods from select people.

With that being said we are taking the build to the next level! The machine shop was able to pull off an entire 1lb off the top block. I am going to be sleeving the motor now & we will be back in action. The build will be on hold for about a month just being honest but the motor will be ready for some real big PSI power. At this rate the only thing left is porting out the heads, valves & springs.

If anyone knows any shops please recommend? If it’s do-able would really be interested in just knocking out everything while the engine is taken apart again haha.

Get ready to make some real power when this car is ready!
Gotcha. The forged internals weren't to spec/tolerance and toasted your cylinders.

This is another reason why I say be weary of overbuilding, especially up front this early in B58 development. I ran into the same issue on a previous build but caught it while the engine was apart so didn't actually damage anything. But sometimes if you have an engine that has been singing for thousands of miles, it's better to leave 'er closed and focus on a safe tune.

Good luck with the rebuild.
Appreciate 1
M4-CPA63.50
      07-21-2019, 02:03 PM   #148
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

Quote:
Gotcha. The forged internals weren't to spec/tolerance and toasted your cylinders.
That said, imo a good bit of responsibility lands on the person putting it together to check these things.....

Going by what iv read it kinda sounds like a new engine builder might be a better idea.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #149
tyler.genter
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrath View Post
That said, imo a good bit of responsibility lands on the person putting it together to check these things.....

Going by what iv read it kinda sounds like a new engine builder might be a better idea.
Well let's put it this way the previous guy working on the car no longer works with the company and now the shop manager is doing the build personally for the down time and all the hurtles we have faced. The owner of the company is actually even giving me one of his personal cars to drive around in during the entire process from here until it is completed finished and is ready for the real break in period
      07-21-2019, 07:01 PM   #150
baldeagleman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So if I am calling around shops in my area about doing this build to get a price idea, what should I tell them needs to be done? Also, was the heat exchange and internals recommended by big boost in addition to the BBK? I am looking into this and I want to try to estimate the cost.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 07:18 PM   #151
tyler.genter
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So if I am calling around shops in my area about doing this build to get a price idea, what should I tell them needs to be done? Also, was the heat exchange and internals recommended by big boost in addition to the BBK? I am looking into this and I want to try to estimate the cost.
If it helps I may actually be selling my heat exchanger (nothing wrong) the inter chiller kit that I am work on possibly ordering from force induction is actually going to be replacing those lines but again way to early to answer that information. Also was not recommended by BBK more of an internal decision.

Depends are you planning on doing pistons and rods or just the kit? If you are I highly recommend having your shop take the engine apart first get the correct specs and reaching out to CP personally will save you months of confusion and a ton of dollars haha
      07-21-2019, 07:36 PM   #152
baldeagleman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If it helps I may actually be selling my heat exchanger (nothing wrong) the inter chiller kit that I am work on possibly ordering from force induction is actually going to be replacing those lines but again way to early to answer that information. Also was not recommended by BBK more of an internal decision.

Depends are you planning on doing pistons and rods or just the kit? If you are I highly recommend having your shop take the engine apart first get the correct specs and reaching out to CP personally will save you months of confusion and a ton of dollars haha
So, how do you order things from this CP Carrillo place? Do you like custom order the pistons and rods based on your engine specs?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 09:13 PM   #153
tyler.genter
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So, how do you order things from this CP Carrillo place? Do you like custom order the pistons and rods based on your engine specs?
You don't have to order "directly" from CP they do have venders but you will need to have your engine taken apart first to get the correct specs to oder. So be prepared for your car to be down for a little bit the good news is CP is very fast with there custom set stuff from what I have been experiencing.

Think of it this way you have been beating your car and the block has seen a lot of wear & tear through the time of you beating it. Yes each piston/rod does do the exact same thing but that does mean each one's wear has been evenly distributed so specs may very through out each engine as well as other variables
      08-02-2019, 05:08 PM   #154
E90ROXS
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

How's the project going?
Appreciate 0