F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Reverse camera OEM style retrofit for $199 shipped - DIY Details
Studio RSR

09-25-2019, 02:55 PM   #67
OC_F32
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsixjmac View Post
For those who have installed this kit, is there an ignition power and negative line coming off of the camera that needs to be connected? Are you able to slice the ignition into something like the reverse light or is it a different voltage that would require a relay?
The power wire is in the same housing as the video/RCA wire. Power and video plug into the camera on the trunk. That same wire routes to the module that connects to the head unit in dash. Camera power is drawn from the module/box.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 03:42 PM   #68
dubsixjmac
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Thanks for the reply. I bought a module that I think is the same off of ebay last week but it didn't come with a camera so I picked up one separate. My Camera has power that needs to be connected. Are you saying I should run this forward to the dash and tap into the power for the module? I attached a picture of my camera and wiring for referance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 04:14 PM   #69
330istocknot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330chino

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I bought a module that I think is the same off of ebay last week but it didn't come with a camera so I picked up one separate. My Camera has power that needs to be connected. Are you saying I should run this forward to the dash and tap into the power for the module? I attached a picture of my camera and wiring for referance.
The camera for the original kit that i posted is all RCA, yours seems to have one RCA and the red one seems different.

Not sure this post would apply to the kit you got. The way this camera gets power is directly from the Module, as the RCA that foes to the camera comes from the module.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 04:22 PM   #70
OC_F32
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Can you post a picture of your harness that plugs into the module? Mine has a white plug.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #71
dubsixjmac
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC_F32 View Post
Can you post a picture of your harness that plugs into the module? Mine has a white plug.
Attached is a pic of the harness and module I purchased outside of the car. I'm pretty sure the harness is wired correctly I didn't have any park assist before and now when I switch to reverse the screen changes to black with the dynamic parking lines just no picture because my camera isn't getting power.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 04:40 PM   #72
OC_F32
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Attached is a pic of the harness and module I purchased outside of the car. I'm pretty sure the harness is wired correctly I didn't have any park assist before and now when I switch to reverse the screen changes to black with the dynamic parking lines just no picture because my camera isn't getting power.
I think you need to connect the camera red to the wire I circled below. Can you zoom in on that or did you already install it? If you already installed it, can you use a voltage tester/light pen to see if it's providing power. If it is, I believe this is the one you need to splice/connect the red off the camera to.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 04:48 PM   #73
dubsixjmac
Rep

Quote:
I think you need to connect the camera red to the wire I circled below. Can you zoom in on that or did you already install it? If you already installed it, can you use a voltage tester/light pen to see if it's providing power. If it is, I believe this is the one you need to splice/connect the red off the camera to.
I already installed it and I just picked up a voltage tester from harbor freight this morning on my way to work because I couldn't find my old one. Once I'm off I'll test and connect to see if it works. Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 08:25 PM   #74
OC_F32
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I already installed it and I just picked up a voltage tester from harbor freight this morning on my way to work because I couldn't find my old one. Once I'm off I'll test and connect to see if it works. Thanks for your help!
Let us know if it it worked!
Appreciate 2
      09-26-2019, 12:33 AM   #75
the_man_in_blue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: It's blue.

any tips or tricks on the install? mainly, the wiring from the camera to the unit through the interior
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 11:36 AM   #76
330istocknot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man_in_blue View Post
any tips or tricks on the install? mainly, the wiring from the camera to the unit through the interior
yes, everyone says to remove the whole glove box,but i didnt do that

Once the vents are removed, you will see a square section, to insert the wiring through there, us a long stick or something to run it all the way down to the right side, there is a small plastic cover, remove that, and then sun the wire through the seals.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
aps334.00
      09-26-2019, 02:43 PM   #77
dubsixjmac
Rep

Quote:
I tapped the wire you suggested and everything works perfect! Thanks so much!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 02:45 PM   #78
OC_F32
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I tapped the wire you suggested and everything works perfect! Thanks so much!
Awesome man. I'm glad it worked. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 02:55 PM   #79
OC_F32
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If you have an NBT w/ Nav like me your head unit will take up every bit of space in the dash. I found that the new wiring harness fits best if pushed down toward the bottom left of the opening. As for the camera module, there is a small space next to the glovebox that I tucked my module into. It was literally the only place I could put it. I didn't have to drop the glovebox out. I simply maneuvered it in there. I was also super concerned with rattling so I taped the edges (making sure not to cover the vents) with 3M double sided tape for padding.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 04:16 PM   #80
the_man_in_blue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: It's blue.

i was more concerned with the wiring from the camera through the trunk and up to the front. Never know if I'd run into any hangups along the way
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 04:20 PM   #81
sthor10
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328

Quote:
i was more concerned with the wiring from the camera through the trunk and up to the front. Never know if I'd run into any hangups along the way
there's a video on 1st or 2nd page of this thread that shows pretty much step by step install from bimmer tech. Not exactly the same hardware but I couldn't imagine it's much different.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 05:11 PM   #82
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

To those that have purchased this kit....how long after placing your order did it take to arrive?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 05:38 PM   #83
OC_F32
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
To those that have purchased this kit....how long after placing your order did it take to arrive?
3 days to San Diego from when they actually shipped it. But I ordered it on a Saturday arrived on Friday. Sent via DHL.
Appreciate 2
      09-26-2019, 05:46 PM   #84
sthor10
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328

Quote:
ordered Tuesday, shipped today and expected delivery of next Tuesday. From Hong Kong to MN.
Appreciate 1
muniz_ri447.50
      09-26-2019, 06:54 PM   #85
330istocknot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Make sure you use the free-shipping code when checking out for free 3 day shipping.
Appreciate 1
muniz_ri447.50
      09-26-2019, 09:21 PM   #86
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330istocknot View Post
Quote:

Make sure you use the free-shipping code when checking out for free 3 day shipping.
Quote:
Quote:
3 days to San Diego from when they actually shipped it. But I ordered it on a Saturday arrived on Friday. Sent via DHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthor10 View Post
Quote:
ordered Tuesday, shipped today and expected delivery of next Tuesday. From Hong Kong to MN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330istocknot View Post
Quote:

Yep, I used the "free shipping" promo code. Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 11:33 PM   #87
efrancis1409
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328I F30

I've been looking at the bimmertech cam for a long time but for what it provided it was too damn expensive. This $200 kit was much more reasonable in price so I pulled the trigger and bought it early this morning. Op mentions no coding was required, I wonder what's so special about this kit that it requires no coding.

Last edited by efrancis1409; 09-26-2019 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: Emoji
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 10:48 AM   #88
330istocknot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by efrancis1409 View Post
I've been looking at the bimmertech cam for a long time but for what it provided it was too damn expensive. This $200 kit was much more reasonable in price so I pulled the trigger and bought it early this morning. Op mentions no coding was required, I wonder what's so special about this kit that it requires no coding.
Yup 0 coding required, just plug and play. Not sure, but it works just as good as the bimmertech one. In fact, it seems to be the same kit just diff module. Come back to this thread if you have any questions! I will update the post with more useful information.
Appreciate 0