F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > EGR cooler recall
Extreme Powerhouse

09-25-2019, 03:05 PM   #155
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineX View Post
As it is a graduating issue, I don't believe for a second that it is a manufacturing defect and some units are not affected. I more believe that they are all faulty and at different stages of failure or not yet failing.
So for the people that get an inspection and a clean bill of health, where does that leave you in 20 or 30k miles?
I have the written note from service advisor stating I did not receive one of the affected units. If the problem were to arise I could simply take the car back as it was recalled due to being a safety issue.

I sold my car yesterday anyways so it's now the new owners problem if something were to happy.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 02:34 PM   #156
mafatbhai
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, F15

Quote:
As it is a graduating issue, I don't believe for a second that it is a manufacturing defect and some units are not affected. I more believe that they are all faulty and at different stages of failure or not yet failing.
So for the people that get an inspection and a clean bill of health, where does that leave you in 20 or 30k miles?

I have same questions, what about future, if nothing shows up right now ?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 05:46 PM   #157
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafatbhai View Post
I have same questions, what about future, if nothing shows up right now ?
Does the recall have an expiration date, I wonder?
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 07:59 PM   #158
dreaming.haze
Private
Rep
Drives: 328d xDrive wagon

Took the car in this morning to BMW of San Diego. Looks like it needs an EGR cooler replacement and they will have it for at least the weekend. Still unsure if they will replace the intake manifold in tandem or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 02:14 AM   #159
LongRuf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 328d

Called my dealer today as I received an updated letter saying a remedy was available. The employee answering the phone informed me that parts are still “heavily backordered” and I was put on a list for when they become available. Ugh.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 08:12 AM   #160
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Ditto.
“Did you get a letter?”
No, I Both just moved and I just bought the car, it doesn’t even have plates yet, how would BMWNA mail me anything. Regardless I know about the recall being open for the last year and BMWNA says the parts are finally available so I’d like it to be done.
“Once the parts are available, you will be contacted by mail and we can schedule you an appointment at that time.”
No, let’s go ahead and get the inspection part taken care of, it’s two parts, first you inspect with the boroscope you should already have gotten from BMWNA for the diesel x3 you had on the lot a month ago that you had to complete the recall on to sell as per BMWNA. Then we can find out if it is going to need the EGR cooler and intake manifold replaced. Then you can get the parts from BMWNA or a dealership that has them, sound good?

So I did set up the appointment for the inspection a week from today, but if it needs the parts... who knows?

On my e46 airbag recalls BMW of El Paso had me waiting for 4 months after getting the letter saying parts were available and then I had enough bs. I went in and politely But succinctly stated that the parts were available, BMWNA said they were, and I didn’t feel comfortable driving a shrapnel hurling machine thst might orphan the infant in the back seat in a minor fender bender and expected it to be resolved ASAP.
They magically found the parts and scheduled me for the following weekend.

I waited till the EGR parts were available before buying an F31d, and I expect it to be done to true BMW standards, not “manana’d” to death to ELPaso standards again. Or the new pass the buck BMW standards.
If they want to charge LEXUS/MB pricing, then I expect that level of service.
They’ve just about convinced me to drive 150 miles to the next dealership for future services in one transaction.

Last edited by Onizukachan; 10-08-2019 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 01:21 AM   #161
dexterdpc
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328d F30 Luxury Line

Recall replacement done today

Hi everyone. Picked up my '14 328d today (65K miles) for the EGR recall work.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 11.13.37 PM.png
Views: 1123
Size:  471.7 KB

My F30 has been drinking a lot of coolant for over a year and I went in for the recall work yesterday. The service advisor today said most of the recalls are okay but mine needed all of the above.

My MPG went way up on the drive home - why would that be? Also hoping there is not deeper damage from all the coolant burning... Most of the rest of the emissions system was replaced under warranty two years ago (the light wouldn't turn off) - related?

Work was done at Pacific BMW in Glendale - always a great shop when doing warranty work.

Last edited by dexterdpc; 10-10-2019 at 01:29 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 01:21 PM   #162
dreaming.haze
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaming.haze View Post
Took the car in this morning to BMW of San Diego. Looks like it needs an EGR cooler replacement and they will have it for at least the weekend. Still unsure if they will replace the intake manifold in tandem or not.
Still waiting on parts. Sounds like everything is backordered.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 02:01 PM   #163
dexterdpc
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328d F30 Luxury Line

Quote:
Still waiting on parts. Sounds like everything is backordered.
Pacific BMW in Glendale has parts. They give loaner too...75 miles per day max on the loaner though.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #164
dreaming.haze
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdpc View Post
Pacific BMW in Glendale has parts. They give loaner too...75 miles per day max on the loaner though.
Snap, well BMW of San Diego hasn't gotten them shipped down it seems. Loaner car is a 2020 m340i, so can't complain as much on the car. Just would rather not pay so much for the fuel.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 09:52 PM   #165
Hskelly20
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hskelly20 View Post
Car was towed into BMW on 9/21 after rapid deceleration on the highway going about 75. Had to basically roll it off the road, no power whatsoever. Drive train malfunction and transmission messages and the smell of burning. It was towed to the dealership and just spoke with them yesterday. At first, they said that they didn’t know what was going on and said they’d have to keep it a few more days. Got a call back about 20 mins later saying this had to do with the EGR recall and melting of the manifold. They said it’s covered under my extended warranty. But here’s the kicker. My extended warranty is up 9/30.

I asked what happens in a week or two once they replace the affected parts but something else happens due to the system failure. They gave me the song and dance saying if they can prove it had to do with the EGR recall they will cover it.

My question—do I have them fix and then rid myself of future issues with this car?
Update: dealership had car for 3 weeks. I’ve had it back for one week total now, a few sputters here and there. Today while idling at a light it was sputtering badly. Felt and sounded like the engine was going to crap out. Pulled over, shut it off for a few, started it back up and the sputtering was non-stop. Back to the dealership she goes.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 08:02 PM   #166
dreaming.haze
Private
Rep

Quote:
Snap, well BMW of San Diego hasn't gotten them shipped down it seems. Loaner car is a 2020 m340i, so can't complain as much on the car. Just would rather not pay so much for the fuel.
Just got the car picked up this evening. So three weeks worth of a wait on parts. Looks like the primary wait will be the intake manifold if the manifold is needed to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 08:06 PM   #167
Hangman4358
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 F31 328d Sportline

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
2014 328d F31  [0.00]
I dropped the car off this morning for the recall. They took a look and say it needs parts. Gave me a loaner 330i and said see you in 2-3 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 11:39 AM   #168
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Mine got a clean bill of health thank goodness.
So I was finally able to code everything and install the LCI panel and ac controls.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 09:36 PM   #169
SCuomo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328xd SportsWagon

Dealer put me off for about 9 months after I asked them about the recall. My 2014 328xd SportsWagon (72,000 miles) had been needing more coolant top-offs than normal for almost 2 years. They finally did the recall service a couple of weeks ago. They said they did not need to replace the intake manifold. The second day after getting the car back the engine light came on. A week or two later I began getting drivetrain malfunction error messages every time I started the car. I took it in and they did a quick diagnostic and said there is a problem, but it's "totally unrelated" to the EGR cooler recall service. They told me to go ahead and drive the car, and bring it back in 2 weeks when they have a loaner available. A few days ago it started with a very noticeable decrease in acceleration. I am bringing it in for the follow up service in a week. I have to wonder why all of these problems started right after they did the recall service. Any ideas? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 11:10 PM   #170
Tim07e90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCuomo View Post
Dealer put me off for about 9 months after I asked them about the recall. My 2014 328xd SportsWagon (72,000 miles) had been needing more coolant top-offs than normal for almost 2 years. They finally did the recall service a couple of weeks ago. They said they did not need to replace the intake manifold. The second day after getting the car back the engine light came on. A week or two later I began getting drivetrain malfunction error messages every time I started the car. I took it in and they did a quick diagnostic and said there is a problem, but it's "totally unrelated" to the EGR cooler recall service. They told me to go ahead and drive the car, and bring it back in 2 weeks when they have a loaner available. A few days ago it started with a very noticeable decrease in acceleration. I am bringing it in for the follow up service in a week. I have to wonder why all of these problems started right after they did the recall service. Any ideas? Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCuomo View Post
All the same exact conditions and symptoms that I experienced. Do not allow them to push you around. I took great advice from the forum and even my wife made a phone call to the dealership managers. You probably don't even need to get to get that far but if you, fight for your car.
Performance Mods: ST Coilovers | R1 Concepts Premier Rotors w/Hawk HPS Pads | ECS Stainless Steel Brake Lines | OEM 219M Wheels | Bridgestone Potenza RE760 | Precision Euro Spacers | AA Race Headers | AFE Race Midpipes | Remus Powersound Quad Exhaust | AA Offroad Tune | RevMotoring Intake Pipe | Cyba Scoops
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 04:37 PM   #171
opinion914
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 N47

I landed a CEL a few days after having the EGR cooler recall addressed. This CEL came with a Drivetrain Malfunction popup. T'was the EGR itself this time. Not covered under warranty so swapped it myself and no more CELs since.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 08:30 AM   #172
clemsonf31
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i wagon

I was unable to find any posts in this thread but is it necessary to revert back to stock tune to have the EGR components replaced at the dealer? Currently running KermaTDI tune

Max
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 10:23 AM   #173
MetzgerMeister
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I'm getting the Drivetrain error on my dash for the 3rd time. Mine has been in with BMW and given the all clear.

I use BimmerLink and I always see that "charge air hose dropped" error in the list of errors. I replaced the charge air hose a few months back but still have that coming up. There's also a loud hiss from the engine when accelerating which I'm told is normal.

The DPF does need a regeneration which I think is causing the Drivetrain error.

IDK
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 11:06 AM   #174
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetzgerMeister View Post
I use BimmerLink and I always see that "charge air hose dropped" error in the list of errors. I replaced the charge air hose a few months back but still have that coming up. There's also a loud hiss from the engine when accelerating
Clear the codes with the engine off, then read the codes that come back. Then start the car and read the codes that come back.
Sounds like your installation for the pipe went wrong or you have a comound issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 11:48 AM   #175
MetzgerMeister
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Clear the codes with the engine off, then read the codes that come back. Then start the car and read the codes that come back.
Sounds like your installation for the pipe went wrong or you have a comound issue.
I'll certainly give it a go.

The pipe was installed by a mechanic but I was getting the same error before it was replaced which made me replace it. There was actually nothing wrong with the original pipe either - no cracks, damage etc.

Having said all this, the car is remapped so that might have a bearing on the situation although I do remember this code appearing before I got the remap. The hissing was also there from day 1, it just got louder after the remap.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 12:46 PM   #176
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetzgerMeister View Post
The hissing was also there from day 1, it just got louder after the remap.
Find the hissing, you may have some soot to help identify where it is. Hissing sound correlates with the error code description you have given. Maybe you have a cracked or damaged intercooler if you have a hard time locating?

----
Sounds like there is a backorder on parts for the recall.
Appreciate 0