F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 9.0 HU discussion
ARMA SPEED

12-01-2019, 04:48 PM   #1343
floc
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
normally rom and mcu update are not strictly binded, and normally they are provided separately. You can find latest MCU update for snapdragon few post before, but only for CCC and CIC system. And they don't solve much.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 06:09 PM   #1344
gsnake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by floc View Post
normally rom and mcu update are not strictly binded, and normally they are provided separately. You can find latest MCU update for snapdragon few post before, but only for CCC and CIC system. And they don't solve much.
I see, thanks.. I checked and my MCU is dated the same as from this thread.. But it is good to know all these things.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 10:51 PM   #1345
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangozac View Post
Thanks Kri, I appreciate the comments.

I probably should have been more specific: E85 and E83 cars are based on older E46 architecture, so they pre-date CCC and CIC idrive. So the infotainment systems are definitely all LIN only and the E39 MCU architecture should be appropriate.

So am I correct in my understanding that these units do no have a separate terminal R input? I presume that the CAN based units for later cars actually use CAN bus activity to determine when to shut down?

At this stage it seems to me that Naviodm have been very lazy with the integration for E39 architecture cars. This poor integration makes something that should feel like a factory unit feel like too much of an aftermarket bodge.
Ah ok, i wasn`t aware that they are using that old technology
i checked new-tis, it says depending on the model year the streering controls are either connected to I-Bus or K-Bus.
As they are technically identical, maybe it help to check if the Android is connected to the correct Bus ?

BMW E E60/E87/E90 Series do have a RAD-ON Signal line , but this is only for powering the active Antennas, the radio itself is powered UP/down with CAN Command.
So you assume correct, the unit itself has no seperate R Signal input.

Kri
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 12:16 AM   #1346
mangozac
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
i checked new-tis, it says depending on the model year the streering controls are either connected to I-Bus or K-Bus.
As they are technically identical, maybe it help to check if the Android is connected to the correct Bus ?
The problem at the moment is that even if the Android unit is connected to the K-bus or I-bus, at current it's missing the LIN transceiver chip required! I am debating whether I will try installing the missing chip myself (I'm an electronics professional) or just try to get a refund
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 12:37 AM   #1347
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangozac View Post
The problem at the moment is that even if the Android unit is connected to the K-bus or I-bus, at current it's missing the LIN transceiver chip required! I am debating whether I will try installing the missing chip myself (I'm an electronics professional) or just try to get a refund
Yes maybe it will work, but i`m afraid of that there are also some resistors and bridges that need to be changed.
For example my unit has a print on it what need to be changed between CCC and LIN , check the picture here.

Edit: i just compared your screenshot with the one from my old CIC PX6 Headunit, check here.
so it seems that either you just got a CCC/CIC Board version or they even don`t have a E39 board version ?

Kri

Last edited by Kri; 12-02-2019 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 01:14 AM   #1348
mangozac
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
so it seems that either you just got a CCC/CIC Board version or they even don`t have a E39 board version ?
Yes, my board is very similar to your second board!

They obviously don't sell a proper E39 board version, but from all the details I can see the only thing missing is the LIN chip. The E39 MCU version must support some type of I-Bus, otherwise why would they have the option for the LIN chip there in the first place?

I'm trying to find more information on the E39 MCU version but there is very little available.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 02:52 AM   #1349
Shrazy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Does someone have a solution for PX6 GPS signal? It takes about 10 - 15 minutes to find signal, after that the signal is stable. It must be a software problem I was in contact with my vendor for this he send me an update and also mcu update which exactly didn't change anything on this problem.

Please can someone find a solution?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 06:30 AM   #1350
kcsmithcyril
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirjam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsmithcyril View Post
Hi, do you have the link to share for 191017 MCU file? mine still the old MCU on 190626

Mine unit is snapdragon 4/64

Thanks in advance.
I have MCU for CCC and CIC, unfortunately not for NBT. Maybe someone else?
Hi Mirjam,

my bad, sorry for not giving full detail, mine is F30 2014 CIC.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 07:24 AM   #1351
Mjam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E87, i3, Taycan Cross Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsmithcyril View Post
Hi Mirjam,

my bad, sorry for not giving full detail, mine is F30 2014 CIC.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=1333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrazy View Post
Does someone have a solution for PX6 GPS signal? It takes about 10 - 15 minutes to find signal, after that the signal is stable.
Are you using the BMW built-in antenna? In that case, try with a splitter and connect both the oem HU and Android to the antenna. If you are using a splitter already, then disconnect this from the HU ... You need to try different approaches.

If you are using the antenna you got with the unit, try relocating it to get better reception.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 07:55 AM   #1352
Shrazy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirjam View Post
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=1333

Are you using the BMW built-in antenna? In that case, try with a splitter and connect both the oem HU and Android to the antenna. If you are using a splitter already, then disconnect this from the HU ... You need to try different approaches.

If you are using the antenna you got with the unit, try relocating it to get better reception.
I have no built-in antenna, with it signal would be very fast. Do you also have a PX6 unit with aftermarket antenna, how long does it take for you? I relocated it many times, no difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 06:15 PM   #1353
gheka
Rep

Hi, can you re-upload the file Ksw-P-Userdebug_OS_v3.3.8-ota.zip? It is already deleted.

And I have some problem. I have Android 9 with snapdragon.
As you know, in BMW when you shift the gearbox to position R, parking sensors (front and rear) are turned on and parking sensors are visually displayed on the display until the speed is above 10 km/h or the ignition is turned off.
In my case, the visual displayed of parking sensors is turned off as soon as I switch the gearbox to another position from R (to D or P for example), but the parking sensors continue to work and squeak.

In my previous device on Android 4.4, it worked as it should, but here on Android 9 I still can’t solve this problem. New firmware versions don't help, the seller also can't help.

Has anyone had a similar problem?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 10:25 PM   #1354
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gheka View Post
Hi, can you re-upload the file Ksw-P-Userdebug_OS_v3.3.8-ota.zip? It is already deleted.

As you know, in BMW when you shift the gearbox to position R, parking sensors (front and rear) are turned on and parking sensors are visually displayed on the display until the speed is above 10 km/h or the ignition is turned off.
In my case, the visual displayed of parking sensors is turned off as soon as I switch the gearbox to another position from R (to D or P for example), but the parking sensors continue to work and squeak.

In my previous device on Android 4.4, it worked as it should, but here on Android 9 I still can’t solve this problem. New firmware versions don't help, the seller also can't help.

3.3.8. is still available at the MEGA.nz link.

Unfortunateley this PDC beavior is normal , it was already this at my PX Android 8.1 Unit and also is on my Snapdragon 9.0 Unit.
This is not a think of the Android Firmware, this won`t change the behaviour, its a thing of the MCU, which is a seperate update.
The only thing you can do ,tell your seller that this is a bug and it was not on your former unit.
Then hopefully it will be fixed ins some future MCU Update.

Kri
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 12:44 AM   #1355
seaman5705
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

In my case (Snapdragon unit with aftermarket camera installed) , rear camera view won't change for quite a while after switching gear from reverse - maybe up to 10 km/h , or maybe after a pre-setted time . I can not check how long, since I have sent unit for repair to the seller.
Need to mention that I have manual gearbox, but rear view works with automatic gearbox selected in factory settings .
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 01:18 AM   #1356
mattmanslim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:

Mine is linked to the PDC system, rather than reverse. When I engage reverse, PDC is automatically activated, and stays activated until I move off above a certain speed. If I put it from reverse to drive, PDC will remain active until I set off. Essentially, it works identically to the OEM setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 02:38 AM   #1357
marakeh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergii View Post
I'm wondering why is cold start GPS is so slow in our units? (I have PX6 one).
I mean I cold start my android phone and gps works in 10 seconds.
Cold start HU and it need from 1 to 5 minutes to find satellites.
Why is so huge difference?

I also have a suspicion that it's software problem not hardware. Because I previously had an MTCB unit on previous car and similar problem was fixed by updating firmware.

I installed GPSlock as advised here. But it barely helps.

Any advice?
what gps antenna are you using?

im using the gps from the car roof/sharkfin and i have instant lock after coldboot.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 04:08 AM   #1358
Shrazy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marakeh View Post
what gps antenna are you using?

im using the gps from the car roof/sharkfin and i have instant lock after coldboot.
He is using most probably the antenna which the supplier send, like me I have the same problem. We have no car roof gps as our car had no stock navigation installed. We are depend on the antenna which our supplier gave us but it's whack, getting signal takes 10 minutes. Solution please
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 06:13 AM   #1359
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

Quote:
I have the exact same issue but with my Andream MMI box (this thread).
I guess both units feature the same (or very similar) MCU.

What HU do you have? Mine is NBT(/NBT EVO ID4) from 2015.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 09:16 AM   #1360
Pondaire
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceX58 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm back with a new version of my dimming application.

[...]
Donate :

If you wish you can make me a donation : https://www.paypal.me/racex58
Hey there! I have just tried your app on a PX6 8.1 and it works great!
Thank you for creating it. It's amazing!
I have a few questions you may be able to help with:
  1. I'd like to donate a beer/coffee, can we only use Paypal or can we use something else?
  2. I tried creating something like this but was not as successful. Would it be possible to read the source code to learn from it, please?
  3. Is it possible to configure it in a way that the 0% brightness shuts the display off? Pretty much what the button on the status bar does.

Thank you again for your awesome work!

Last edited by Pondaire; 12-03-2019 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 11:47 AM   #1361
marakeh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrazy View Post
He is using most probably the antenna which the supplier send, like me I have the same problem. We have no car roof gps as our car had no stock navigation installed. We are depend on the antenna which our supplier gave us but it's whack, getting signal takes 10 minutes. Solution please
retrofit the gps antenna in the roof?

not very hard to do.
Appreciate 1
Shrazy12.00
      12-03-2019, 02:43 PM   #1362
floc
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
Quote:

never had on my 2017 ID5. But I have audio routing issues with the navi lol.

Last edited by floc; 12-03-2019 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 05:43 PM   #1363
dodgePT
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by smahel View Post
I just successfully completed permanent root with Magisk, Xposed and Lucky Patcher on Android 9 Snapdragon 625 using adb without flashing device by this modified and mostly already published procedure:

Connect the unit to the same WiFi network as the PC.
On Head Unit, install Terminal Emulator from the Google Store.
Expand and copy the Platform-tools directory from the "platform-tools_r28.0.0-windows.zip" file to the PC root directory
On PC, copy "su" to the Platform-tools directory.
On PC, copy "rooting.rc" to the Platform-tools directory.
Copy "MagiskManager-v7.3.4.apk", "XposedInstaller_by_dvdandroid_19_10_18.apk" and "Lucky-Patcher-Official-8.4.6.apk" to USB stick

On UNIT:
Enable Developer options, -> disable USBdebug -> enable USBdebug

run Terminal Emulator and enter following commands:
setprop persist.adb.tcp.port 5555
setprop sys.rkadb.root 1
reboot

After restarting unit go to
Developer options again, -> disable USBdebug -> enable USBdebug.

run Terminal Emulator and enter:
ifconfig wlan0 !!! remember lan address !!!

On PC:
run Command line in Platform-tools directory.
in Command line enter:

adb connect 192.168.x.xxx:5555 (fill in the remembered address)
adb root
adb disable-verity
adb reboot

On UNIT:
Developer options -> disable USBdebug -> enable USBdebug
run Terminal Emulator and enter:
ifconfig wlan0 !!! remember lan address !!!

On PC
in Command line enter commands:

adb kill-server
adb connect 192.168.x.xxx:5555
(fill in the remembered address)
adb root
adb remount
adb shell setenforce 0
adb push su /system/xbin/su
adb push su /system/bin/su
adb shell chmod 06755 /system/bin/su
adb shell chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su
adb shell /system/bin/su --install
adb shell /system/bin/su --daemon"&"
adb push rooting.rc /system/etc/init/rooting.rc
adb reboot

From USB, install "MagiskManager-v7.3.4.apk" on UNIT and run it, install Magisk - chose Direct install(recomended).
Next Go to Menu -> Downloads, search and install module Riru-Core -> reboot
After restarting unit run Magisk Manager again, go to Menu -> Downloads, search and install module Riru-EdXdposed -> reboot
Install "XposedInstaller_by_dvdandroid_19_10_18.apk" from USB -> reboot
From USB install "Lucky-Patcher-Official-8.4.6.apk", run Xposed Installer and check Lucky Patcher in Menu -> Modules
reboot

Necessary files for those who are interested:
https://mega.nz/#!FNUQnCKL!ahPzXwWzs...LnRForzI_-3eOs

A few pictures

Hi smahel!

I'd like to contribute somehow to those who have Android 9 PX6 RK3399 4GB/32GB and are thinking of rooting their unit. I repeat, to those with Android 9, PX6 Rockship (I guess no one tried but me).

As I mentioned on XDA, your process ran great, but I forgot to tell you that the process failed at:

Quote:
From USB, install "MagiskManager-v7.3.4.apk" on UNIT and run it, install Magisk - chose Direct install(recomended).
Magisk itself installs, but then it asks to upgrade. It upgrades, and when you choose to install, it starts, but it fails saying something like "image isn't compatible/valid" or something.

Anyway, after this and without further steps, running Root Checker does indeed state that the device is rooted.

So, the unit is rooted, but I was unable to install Magisk and the modules you describe on your process.

What's the impact? What am I missing by not installing Magisk and it's modules?

Thanks

Last edited by dodgePT; 12-03-2019 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 06:28 PM   #1364
floc
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
I would like to give you an update about headunit reloaded on my snapdragon unit.

HUR is an hack from XDA that makes any android devices an "androidauto slave" (connecting your phone to use it) OR can work as standalone to run androidauto natively on the device itself. The standalone mode with root and latest app version* works now very well. If you are struggling for the androidauto interface give it a try It has a trial version.

*root reduces the launch procedure to 1 single tap because the program itself can launch androidauto server from androidauto developer options. Otherwhise you have to do it manually, and it's a pain.
Appreciate 0