F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > VRSF Catted Downpipe Installed + Review
Studio RSR

11-18-2019, 05:21 PM   #155
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw0n View Post
Is this the latest revision of VRSF's catted DP for the EWG N55? The one from 10/05, I believe.

Thinking of switching to a catted DP from catless.
As far as i know there has been no update from VRSF on a revised version; they are still shipping the batch with the secondary O2 sensor issue with a angled O2 spacer.

There was talk they were fixing that along with a potentially revised cat, but people have posted asking for updates in a few threads and i haven't seen any response.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 10:34 AM   #156
F36GC_NYC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 435GC xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30NFifty5 View Post
Nah im actually from the Flushing area.
nice i used to work out there fore many years...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 03:15 PM   #157
SlowF30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey 335i

Sooooo any update on if they were able to produce a version that doesnt cause a cel?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 12:29 PM   #158
NCG80M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Comp

Garage List
  [5.00]
2019 BMW M5 Competi ...  [9.65]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowF30 View Post
Sooooo any update on if they were able to produce a version that doesnt cause a cel?
No to jack the post but I have been running the Turner Catted DP for about a month and I have not gotten a CEL yet. I think they run between $500-$600 bucks
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 12:53 PM   #159
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZHP View Post
No to jack the post but I have been running the Turner Catted DP for about a month and I have not gotten a CEL yet. I think they run between $500-$600 bucks
I thought you said in your other thread that the turner tune was removing that CEL. Can you check your catalyst monitors ready state?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 01:07 PM   #160
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Quote:
are you asking about passing emissions or just not getting a CEL?
      01-09-2020, 01:25 PM   #161
NCG80M3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
I thought you said in your other thread that the turner tune was removing that CEL. Can you check your catalyst monitors ready state?
That is true but it seem like he is looking for an alternative to the VRSF one. I can do a test on my stock tune or stage 1 to see if I would throw a CEL if anyone is interested.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 01:42 PM   #162
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is true but it seem like he is looking for an alternative to the VRSF one. I can do a test on my stock tune or stage 1 to see if I would throw a CEL if anyone is interested.
Does Turner offer monitoring capabilities or logging ability?

Most tunes will suppress the CEL from showing up on the dash, like MHD and BM3.

But only a handful will be able to pass emissions for state inspections.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 02:14 PM   #163
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I already bought my DP, but i think it would be a nice piece of information to have due to the price. The key thing really is catalyst monitors being ready; CEL can be easily suppressed, so having a DP that doesnt throw a CEL but also doesnt show monitors as ready isnt really more useful that one that does throw a CEL (and of course also does not show monitors as ready). It really needs to have no CEL and monitors ready.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 03:15 PM   #164
NCG80M3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
Does Turner offer monitoring capabilities or logging ability?

Most tunes will suppress the CEL from showing up on the dash, like MHD and BM3.

But only a handful will be able to pass emissions for state inspections.
I know for certain it does not have logging ability (which I have asked them to add). I will double check on the monitoring capabilities.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 03:16 PM   #165
NCG80M3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
  [5.00]
Quote:
I already bought my DP, but i think it would be a nice piece of information to have due to the price. The key thing really is catalyst monitors being ready; CEL can be easily suppressed, so having a DP that doesnt throw a CEL but also doesnt show monitors as ready isnt really more useful that one that does throw a CEL (and of course also does not show monitors as ready). It really needs to have no CEL and monitors ready.
Good point. I will see what I can figure out.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 12:46 PM   #166
SlowF30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey 335i

Quote:
are you asking about passing emissions or just not getting a CEL?
I guess the real question is does it pass emissions? I rather not climb underneath my car twice a year to remove and reinstall the DP. I did it with my WRX and by the fourth year I was over the whole process.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2020, 01:23 PM   #167
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess the real question is does it pass emissions? I rather not climb underneath my car twice a year to remove and reinstall the DP. I did it with my WRX and by the fourth year I was over the whole process.
https://www.fabspeed.com/bmw-335i-43...-cat-downpipe/

looks like your only option at the moment to have a high flow catted down pipe to pass emissions....BUT do some research because i am not an expert!!!

01-10-2020, 02:12 PM   #168
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:

looks like your only option at the moment to have a high flow catted down pipe to pass emissions....BUT do some research because i am not an expert!!!

CG Precision is user-reported to have no CEL and pass emissions. AFE twisted steel is the same, but that was just one person to my knowledge.

AA new (EWG only) is manufacturer claimed/"guaranteed", but no user reports yet that i have seen.

Personally, i just bought the fabspeed because after all the issues i had with my CP+IC, i wanted my DP to be a do it once and do it right install. Fabspeed was $1100 with stacking sales during BF. AA was $850.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2020, 03:08 PM   #169
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
CG Precision is user-reported to have no CEL and pass emissions. AFE twisted steel is the same, but that was just one person to my knowledge.

AA new (EWG only) is manufacturer claimed/"guaranteed", but no user reports yet that i have seen.

Personally, i just bought the fabspeed because after all the issues i had with my CP+IC, i wanted my DP to be a do it once and do it right install. Fabspeed was $1100 with stacking sales during BF. AA was $850.
Yeah i knew there was at least two other companies that claimed to pass emission but got lazy and didn't want to search for it.

So it looks like Fabspeed and Active Autowerke are the only companies that will offer a guarenteed no CEL and ability to pass emissions.

https://store.activeautowerke.com/pr...atted-downpipe

thanks for the update and im just glad that i live in a state that does not have yearly emissions testing!

Last edited by Munchi435i; 01-10-2020 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 03:19 PM   #170
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

i've always wondered, what happens if you get a CEL from a manufacturer that guarantees NO CEL?

will you get a refund? partial refund? will they pay your fine? pay for the cost of swapping back to your stock dp/cat? or will they say it's installed incorrectly, have some other reason, that caused it.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 03:52 PM   #171
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
i've always wondered, what happens if you get a CEL from a manufacturer that guarantees NO CEL?

will you get a refund? partial refund? will they pay your fine? pay for the cost of swapping back to your stock dp/cat? or will they say it's installed incorrectly, have some other reason, that caused it.
I have wondered the same thing. I assume they would refund/exchange part, but highly dependent on company customer service, as is how much they try to "blame" you, the install, another part, etc. I doubt any would be willing to pay for cost of install. I have pushed my car pretty hard since i installed fabspeed and based on other people's track record i am hoping i never have go to down that path.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2020, 11:24 AM   #172
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post

Quote:
I have wondered the same thing. I assume they would refund/exchange part, but highly dependent on company customer service, as is how much they try to "blame" you, the install, another part, etc. I doubt any would be willing to pay for cost of install. I have pushed my car pretty hard since i installed fabspeed and based on other people's track record i am hoping i never have go to down that path.
Per Active, they would replace the cat, if still not working you get a full refund

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
      01-13-2020, 04:31 PM   #173
Marq_z
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sportline

Quote:

New F30 335 owner here. What's been your experience with the Turner DP so far in terms of fitment/performance/sound? Also, same question for anyone with a Fabspeed DP. $500 to $1,100 seems like a big jump in price. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 05:38 PM   #174
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marq_z View Post
New F30 335 owner here. What's been your experience with the Turner DP so far in terms of fitment/performance/sound? Also, same question for anyone with a Fabspeed DP. $500 to $1,100 seems like a big jump in price. Thanks!
Fabspeed catted has the longest track record of guaranteed no CEL and emissions-ready state. I installed mine a couple of weeks ago and fitment was spot on (they actually have a QA check process which you will receive in the box). Note that fabspeed comes with the additional support bracket on the DP. Not sure about turner but some other vendors do not, in which case the vbands are the only thing that holds it in place and presumably that puts a lot of stress on the turbo outlet, especially with a 1 piece exhaust. I know plenty of people run this setup (e.g., VRSF), but the idea of that did not sit well with me for the long term, so i would not consider running any DP that does not have at least 1 support bracket.

From my experience, there was a nearly negligible change in exhaust volume from the stock to fabspeed cat change, with stock exhaust. Slightly louder on cold starts but only really noticeable if you are looking for it. Maybe slightly louder under hard acceleration but pretty much impossible to tell in a well-insulated cabin. However, the performance benefit is still substantial (fabspeed claims 93% the flow of their catless). Also, from what i have seen on other posts and videos, the sound difference between OEM and fabspeed will be more substantial when you have an aftermarket exhaust, most notably more turbo spool noise, which is all but muted with stock DP. This is probably true for the change from OEM to any catted DP unless it is very high cell.

The other aspect, smell - the fabspeed seems to almost smell less than OEM on cold starts (maybe it reaches operating temp faster?), and zero increase in fuel/other odors compared to stock in all other conditions.

Also i would note that fabspeed base price is $1400, so unless you are able to stack some sales (which are kindof rare), the difference between the two will be more significant.

EDIT: I see you are in CA. with a 2012 you will need to pass emissions in 2020. That is a major consideration for the fabspeed. I don't think turner will pass emissions (to be confirmed).
Appreciate 3
      01-16-2020, 02:58 PM   #175
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Fabspeed catted has the longest track record of guaranteed no CEL and emissions-ready state. I installed mine a couple of weeks ago and fitment was spot on (they actually have a QA check process which you will receive in the box). Note that fabspeed comes with the additional support bracket on the DP. Not sure about turner but some other vendors do not, in which case the vbands are the only thing that holds it in place and presumably that puts a lot of stress on the turbo outlet, especially with a 1 piece exhaust. I know plenty of people run this setup (e.g., VRSF), but the idea of that did not sit well with me for the long term, so i would not consider running any DP that does not have at least 1 support bracket.

From my experience, there was a nearly negligible change in exhaust volume from the stock to fabspeed cat change, with stock exhaust. Slightly louder on cold starts but only really noticeable if you are looking for it. Maybe slightly louder under hard acceleration but pretty much impossible to tell in a well-insulated cabin. However, the performance benefit is still substantial (fabspeed claims 93% the flow of their catless). Also, from what i have seen on other posts and videos, the sound difference between OEM and fabspeed will be more substantial when you have an aftermarket exhaust, most notably more turbo spool noise, which is all but muted with stock DP. This is probably true for the change from OEM to any catted DP unless it is very high cell.

The other aspect, smell - the fabspeed seems to almost smell less than OEM on cold starts (maybe it reaches operating temp faster?), and zero increase in fuel/other odors compared to stock in all other conditions.

Also i would note that fabspeed base price is $1400, so unless you are able to stack some sales (which are kindof rare), the difference between the two will be more significant.

EDIT: I see you are in CA. with a 2012 you will need to pass emissions in 2020. That is a major consideration for the fabspeed. I don't think turner will pass emissions (to be confirmed).
Some good points here.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 08:19 AM   #176
Derekrpd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marq_z View Post

I just put in the catted Fabspeed DP and agree with what this post mentions as far as sound, power increase, smell, etc. Especially like the no CEL! I haven't flashed stage 2 yet but definitely notice a power bump on just stage 1.

I didn't do the install as I had my mechanic do it and he charged me 2 hrs labor. He said the hardest part was getting the old pipe off as one of the bracket bolts seized up.