F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread
Extreme Powerhouse
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-18-2020, 02:23 PM   #551
Rmtt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rmtt's Avatar
United_States
3759
Rep
1,913
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Have Or did any of you guys consider working in Alaska? Currently watching Alaska PD and none of the Leo's are from Alaska. There must be some kind of program.
I spent nearly 3 weeks in Alaska and never seen the first cop once we left Anchorage.
__________________
Everybody has a gameplan....until they get punched in the mouth.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 03:12 PM   #552
Salty Dog
Captain
Salty Dog's Avatar
3509
Rep
886
Posts

Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I spent nearly 3 weeks in Alaska and never seen the first cop once we left Anchorage.
I had a buddy who worked with the RCMP in Churchill Manitoba. If I remember it was a 3 man detachment, their nearest back up was Thompson Manitoba which required putting the Suburban on the railway tracks and 8 hours of choo-chooing it.

The major issue they had in Churchill was Polar Bears though.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt3759.00

      01-18-2020, 05:14 PM   #553
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
F30lolz's Avatar
United_States
3029
Rep
2,347
Posts

Drives: 09 335i/11 CTS Coupe/15 428 GC
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Miami, FL/Shelbyville, IN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 428 GC  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
2011 CTS Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post

The major issue they had in Churchill was Polar Bears though.
In a situation between an officer and a Polar Bear, all lives matter goes out the damn window!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorKTM View Post
So there is actually more of a chance to get more hp out of a 330 then a 335 in my opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmf80 View Post
Seems like ur out of touch with baseball a bit. A few years behind.
You didnít know who Hader was. And Kershaw is a mess in the playoffs. No thanks
Appreciate 2
Salty Dog3509.00
Dang3r3580.50

      01-18-2020, 05:29 PM   #554
Salty Dog
Captain
Salty Dog's Avatar
3509
Rep
886
Posts

Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
In a situation between an officer and a Polar Bear, all lives matter goes out the damn window!
So I live in Ontario, we have Polar Bears and Buluga Whales.....Polar Bear is the largest carnivore on the fucking planet....those bad boys are something to be respected.....they scare the living shit of me. When I was assigned to the Office of the Chief Coroner I had to go to fly in communities on the shores of James Bay and Hudsons Bay......just another world....I remember thinking that my .40 caliber Glock was just going to piss the bears off. Pump shotguns were everywhere. No SSG, Slugs for effect.....
Appreciate 4
F30lolz3028.50
Sedan_Clan4301.00
MKSixer20116.00
xander_g758.00

      01-21-2020, 12:53 PM   #555
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
424
Rep
1,090
Posts

Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Say you pull over someone and ask them to get out of the car.
What was the weirdest/strangest/funniest thing you've seen?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 12:58 PM   #556
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
4301
Rep
15,605
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Say you pull over someone and ask them to get out of the car.
What was the weirdest/strangest/funniest thing you've seen?
....a dude operating a motor vehicle with no pants/underwear on with a bow tied around his manhood.
Appreciate 7
vreihen161538.50
Dang3r3580.50
Salty Dog3509.00
MKSixer20116.00
upstatedoc3741.00
ItsGary1318.50

      01-21-2020, 01:15 PM   #557
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
424
Rep
1,090
Posts

Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
....a dude operating a motor vehicle with no pants/underwear on with a bow tied around his manhood.

Did that influence the outcome of the pull over, whatever that was?
Appreciate 1
MKSixer20116.00

      01-21-2020, 01:18 PM   #558
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
4301
Rep
15,605
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
....a dude operating a motor vehicle with no pants/underwear on with a bow tied around his manhood.

Did that influence the outcome of the pull over, whatever that was?
I had already surmised that he was hunting for a fix from a street walker.


Appreciate 2
Salty Dog3509.00
MKSixer20116.00

      01-21-2020, 01:46 PM   #559
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
424
Rep
1,090
Posts

Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I had already surmised that he was hunting for a fix from a street walker.


Was he cited for hunting a fix from a street walker or for driving without pants?


Incidentally, a friend mentioned that the BMW heated seats are marvelous in direct skin contact, especially on a cold night (if you have real leather, not the leatherette or Vegan leather, as they call it nowadays).
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 11:36 PM   #560
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
645
Rep
499
Posts

Drives: BMW X3MC and a Volvo XC60 T6i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: St Paul, MN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
....a dude operating a motor vehicle with no pants/underwear on with a bow tied around his manhood.
It was nice meeting you. Thank you for not laughing at me too hard.
__________________
2020 BMW X3MC (Black with Sahkir Orange interior) - Wife's SUV
2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription (Black with Maroon Brown Nappa Leather interior) - My SUV
Appreciate 9
Sedan_Clan4301.00
UncleWede9063.00
Salty Dog3509.00
Rmtt3759.00
MKSixer20116.00
ItsGary1318.50
pz6192249.00

      02-05-2020, 01:46 PM   #561
upstatedoc
pew pew
upstatedoc's Avatar
3741
Rep
2,008
Posts

Drives: blue streak
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: not downstate

iTrader: (2)

two things:

first, I saw this today, guy in front of me at a four way stop light. he had his blinker on to turn left and had pulled into the intersection as cars passed on his left. all cars had finally passed but our light turned red so HE JUST SAT THERE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE INTERSECTION UNTIL THE LIGHT TURNED GREEN AGAIN. I always thought it was ok to proceed with your turn while you are in the intersection even if the light was red. I've been doing this for years

second:

would I have been justified in leveling my 12 gauge at these dogs in my lawn?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-jerse...off-dogs-video
__________________
2018 Stinger GT
1997 Toyota T100
2009 E90 N51 /Active Autowerke Stage 2 tune/BMW Performance Exhaust/
Countermeasure enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 01:55 PM   #562
Salty Dog
Captain
Salty Dog's Avatar
3509
Rep
886
Posts

Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
two things:

first, I saw this today, guy in front of me at a four way stop light. he had his blinker on to turn left and had pulled into the intersection as cars passed on his left. all cars had finally passed but our light turned red so HE JUST SAT THERE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE INTERSECTION UNTIL THE LIGHT TURNED GREEN AGAIN. I always thought it was ok to proceed with your turn while you are in the intersection even if the light was red. I've been doing this for years

second:

would I have been justified in leveling my 12 gauge at these dogs in my lawn?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-jerse...off-dogs-video
If you are well into the intersection on the green and then the light turns red while you're waiting you need to clear the intersection safely.

I'd say yes. Here in Canada you'd likely get a bunch of grief for it, but I know I'd be loading some SSG and solving the problem.
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc3741.00

      02-05-2020, 02:10 PM   #563
upstatedoc
pew pew
upstatedoc's Avatar
3741
Rep
2,008
Posts

Drives: blue streak
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: not downstate

iTrader: (2)

Can the average Canadian Joe own something like this?
Attached Images
 
__________________
2018 Stinger GT
1997 Toyota T100
2009 E90 N51 /Active Autowerke Stage 2 tune/BMW Performance Exhaust/
Countermeasure enthusiast.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3509.00

      02-05-2020, 02:15 PM   #564
damnitBobby
Major
682
Rep
1,176
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Just got a speeding ticket for 86 in a 65. Called court said I canít take defensive driving due to alleged speed being greater than 80. They said I could speak to prosecutor about ways to have it stay off my record.

Are there actually other ways to keep it off my record or do I have to swallow this one? I have a clean driving record within the past 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 02:23 PM   #565
pennsiveguy
Captain
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
2826
Rep
905
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
Just got a speeding ticket for 86 in a 65. Called court said I canít take defensive driving due to alleged speed being greater than 80. They said I could speak to prosecutor about ways to have it stay off my record.

Are there actually other ways to keep it off my record or do I have to swallow this one? I have a clean driving record within the past 3 years.
Many years ago I got them to let me plead guilty to an "Unnecessary Acceleration" violation, which isn't a moving violation and so didn't go on my record.
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Roush 511 IR FE | 2006 Ford GT
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2020, 03:25 PM   #566
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
9063
Rep
8,038
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Many years ago I got them to let me plead guilty to an "Unnecessary Acceleration" violation, which isn't a moving violation and so didn't go on my record.
What kind of 'Murican do you Canadians speak, anyways???
Appreciate 1
vreihen161538.50

      02-05-2020, 03:37 PM   #567
Maynard
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1314
Rep
1,864
Posts

Drives: 2016 228iX
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Edina is in the states -it feels like a foreign country, but they're actually 'muricans. (when I lived in Minneapolis they used to say Edina stood for 'Every Day I Need Attention' - kind of an entitled little suburb IIRC).
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 03:40 PM   #568
pennsiveguy
Captain
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
2826
Rep
905
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Edina is in the states -it feels like a foreign country, but they're actually 'muricans. (when I lived in Minneapolis they used to say Edina stood for 'Every Day I Need Attention' - kind of an entitled little suburb IIRC).
And the cake is delicious!
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Roush 511 IR FE | 2006 Ford GT
Appreciate 1
Maynard1313.50

      02-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #569
Salty Dog
Captain
Salty Dog's Avatar
3509
Rep
886
Posts

Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Can the average Canadian Joe own something like this?
So in Canada you can buy/own/possess firearms but you must first take a government approved and regulated course. The basic Purchase Aquasistion Licence PAL lets you buy everything that isn't "restricted", restricted being hand guns, rifles with a barrel shorter than 18" and fires centre fire ammunition..... and then there is prohibited which are handguns with a barrel shorter than 4", and fully automatic weapons. If you are designated a bonified collector you can own prohibited weapons.

Restricted firearms can only be fired at an approved shooting range, not even on your own back 40, although I suspect that happens. They also have to be transported in a locked case with a trigger lock and ammunition stored separately. Same for storage at home, in a locked safe, ammo stored separately.

So to answer your question, yes. My wife and I both have the RPAL which allows us to own and shoot restricted firearms. We have 3 hand guns and have to belong to a club to shoot them. I bought a Ruger mini 14 and PC 9 both with 18" barrels so they are not restricted and therefore more flexible with were I can shoot them etc. and frankly for the sake of a 2" longer barrel that seemed like a no brainer......magazines are restricted to 5 shots for semi-auto rifles and 10 rounds for handguns.

The Ruger PC 9 however is allowed to use a ten round pistol mag, I have a Glock 19 and the mags go between the two which makes sense to me.
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc3741.00

      02-05-2020, 03:59 PM   #570
pennsiveguy
Captain
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
2826
Rep
905
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
So in Canada you can buy/own/possess firearms but you must first take a government approved and regulated course. The basic Purchase Aquasistion Licence PAL lets you buy everything that isn't "restricted", restricted being hand guns, rifles with a barrel shorter than 18" and fires centre fire ammunition..... and then there is prohibited which are handguns with a barrel shorter than 4", and fully automatic weapons. If you are designated a bonified collector you can own prohibited weapons.

Restricted firearms can only be fired at an approved shooting range, not even on your own back 40, although I suspect that happens. They also have to be transported in a locked case with a trigger lock and ammunition stored separately. Same for storage at home, in a locked safe, ammo stored separately.

So to answer your question, yes. My wife and I both have the RPAL which allows us to own and shoot restricted firearms. We have 3 hand guns and have to belong to a club to shoot them. I bought a Ruger mini 14 and PC 9 both with 18" barrels so they are not restricted and therefore more flexible with were I can shoot them etc. and frankly for the sake of a 2" longer barrel that seemed like a no brainer......magazines are restricted to 5 shots for semi-auto rifles and 10 rounds for handguns.

The Ruger PC 9 however is allowed to use a ten round pistol mag, I have a Glock 19 and the mags go between the two which makes sense to me.
That's dreadful. I almost never go to gun ranges/clubs anymore, though I did before I had my ranges set up at the cabin. I can't imagine not being able to pick one or more of my own firearms - which I got to pick from anything that's not fully automatic - out of my safe and walk out to my range and shoot to my heart's content. The operative word being "my" there. I'm glad to be a 'murican.
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Roush 511 IR FE | 2006 Ford GT
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 04:32 PM   #571
Salty Dog
Captain
Salty Dog's Avatar
3509
Rep
886
Posts

Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
That's dreadful. I almost never go to gun ranges/clubs anymore, though I did before I had my ranges set up at the cabin. I can't imagine not being able to pick one or more of my own firearms - which I got to pick from anything that's not fully automatic - out of my safe and walk out to my range and shoot to my heart's content. The operative word being "my" there. I'm glad to be a 'murican.
Yup, my wife and I have been talking about moving out to the country and getting a piece of property with some acreage and maybe a barn. I'd set up a range out back, but I know what you mean we live in such a nanny state.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 06:13 PM   #572
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
9063
Rep
8,038
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Uncontrolled T intersection: the person crossing the T has RoW?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST