F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 340i m Performance Brake Kit pads and rotors
Extreme Powerhouse

02-19-2020, 05:51 PM   #1
mholder
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i Black, mppsk

340i m Performance Brake Kit pads and rotors

I just took my 340i with the m performance brake kit into my BMW service center because the front brakes are starting to squeal a little bit after about 18,000 miles. The service center advised that the front pads are down to 3.5mm and BMW recommends replacement below 4mm. They further advise that my rotors show evidence of grooving and have a lip at the outer edge. BMW will not resurface the m performance rotors and that they are a one time use item and they will not put new pads on without replacing the rotors. After vigorously questioning this they advised that if they could get the service manager to agree to changing out the pads only they would only do so If I agreed to release them from any liability and warranty provisions because they deem this course of action to be unsafe and against BMW policy for this brake system. So in essence they want me to replace the pads and the rotors for roughly $1500 per front axle. Does this sound right to those who own or are familiar with the m performance break kits.

Last edited by mholder; 02-19-2020 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 07:05 PM   #2
Ahanix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Just do it yourself and save your money, or take it to an Indy shop. If you have the track handling package the brake pads are cake to replace.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 09:18 PM   #3
mholder
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahanix View Post
Just do it yourself and save your money, or take it to an Indy shop. If you have the track handling package the brake pads are cake to replace.
Thanks, but I don't have the facilities nor the ability to do it myself and am reluctant to take it to an Indy shop while my car and the brake kit are still under warranty. And no track handling package.

I would really like to hear from others with the m performance brake kit who have had experience dealing with a BMW dealership service center.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 11:46 PM   #4
alistairk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MSport, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mholder View Post
Thanks, but I don't have the facilities nor the ability to do it myself and am reluctant to take it to an Indy shop while my car and the brake kit are still under warranty. And no track handling package.

I would really like to hear from others with the m performance brake kit who have had experience dealing with a BMW dealership service center.
I don't know how helpful this is but they did replace the pads and rotors together on mine. I have a 2016 though, so it was all covered.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 05:51 AM   #5
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

The squeak is probably just your pad sliding a little bit (not dangerous) and 'playing' the rim on the rotor as you would a wet finger on a crystal glass.

If your pads are at 3-4 mm and you haven't gotten a brake warning light yet, you have thousands of miles yet to go. I've gotten 60K miles on my e46 on front pads...twice that on the rears. Rotors usually can go two pad sets before being at minimum thickness...and for $10, you can buy a gauge to measure.

The pad warning comes on at 2 mm, I think, and then you still have a thousand miles...and if you get down to metal on metal, then replace the rotors, but you'll get a warning.

Also...if you have a friend with garage who likes beer...a few hours you 'could' do it yourself with $100 in tools (give or take). Brakes are so important they're easy to work on, at least the pads and rotors are.

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 06:03 AM   #6
mholder
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairk View Post
I don't know how helpful this is but they did replace the pads and rotors together on mine. I have a 2016 though, so it was all covered.
Thanks, do you specifically have the m performance brakes which are drilled and slotted.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 06:06 AM   #7
mholder
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxdmax View Post
The squeak is probably just your pad sliding a little bit (not dangerous) and 'playing' the rim on the rotor as you would a wet finger on a crystal glass.

If your pads are at 3-4 mm and you haven't gotten a brake warning light yet, you have thousands of miles yet to go. I've gotten 60K miles on my e46 on front pads...twice that on the rears. Rotors usually can go two pad sets before being at minimum thickness...and for $10, you can buy a gauge to measure.

The pad warning comes on at 2 mm, I think, and then you still have a thousand miles...and if you get down to metal on metal, then replace the rotors, but you'll get a warning.

Also...if you have a friend with garage who likes beer...a few hours you 'could' do it yourself with $100 in tools (give or take). Brakes are so important they're easy to work on, at least the pads and rotors are.
Thanks, do you specifically have the m performance brakes which are drilled and slotted.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 07:03 AM   #8
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My rotors are blanks...though they were replaced by PO. I'll do blanks again...always have. I'm not planning on tracking so prefer my rotors without holes or slots.

dmax on FB

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 12:27 AM   #9
alistairk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MSport, 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairk View Post
Yes, port install so they were included in the service pkg (I think BMW removed brake maintenance after 2016).
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 01:34 AM   #10
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
I just took my 340i with the m performance brake kit into my BMW service center because the front brakes are starting to squeal a little bit after about 18,000 miles. The service center advised that the front pads are down to 3.5mm and BMW recommends replacement below 4mm. They further advise that my rotors show evidence of grooving and have a lip at the outer edge. BMW will not resurface the m performance rotors and that they are a one time use item and they will not put new pads on without replacing the rotors. After vigorously questioning this they advised that if they could get the service manager to agree to changing out the pads only they would only do so If I agreed to release them from any liability and warranty provisions because they deem this course of action to be unsafe and against BMW policy for this brake system. So in essence they want me to replace the pads and the rotors for roughly $1500 per front axle. Does this sound right to those who own or are familiar with the m performance break kits.
Wow! This is an example of major dealer ripoff. I wouldn't advise replacing the front M Performance rotors and pads because you can get better aftermarket parts for less money.

But I understand that you want to do that so without even shopping around much for discounts, you can buy the original BMW parts for:

$668.46 Original BMW MP Front rotors
$140.32 Original BMW MP Front pads
————-
$808.78 Original Parts Total
$200.00 Labor- Factory certified mechanic
————
$1,008.78 Total installed

Below is what I would recommend that you install. The street braking performance will be superior to what you have now. (MP calipers are excellent, but MP rotors & pads are average.)

$350 StopTech Front Drilled Rotors 370x30
Part Numbers: 128.34144L, 128.34144R

$103 Hawk 5.0 Front Pads HB765B.664

$200 Labor from my local independent factory certified mechanic

$653 TOTAL

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 04:14 AM   #11
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Its easy money for these stealers to replace consumables like this.

You can see for yourself if the discs (or rotors as you call them over there) are grooved or lipped. Run your finger over the edge and you will feel if they are lipped. After 18k miles I would expect a slight lip and slight wear but they shouldn't need replacing at that mileage.

As stated the pads might need changing at some point in the future but they still have plenty of life in them.

Can you get a second opinion anywhere else ?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 05:55 AM   #12
mholder
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Wow! This is an example of major dealer ripoff. I wouldn't advise replacing the front M Performance rotors and pads because you can get better aftermarket parts for less money.

But I understand that you want to do that so without even shopping around much for discounts, you can buy the original BMW parts for:

$668.46 Original BMW MP Front rotors
$140.32 Original BMW MP Front pads
————-
$808.78 Original Parts Total
$200.00 Labor- Factory certified mechanic
————
$1,008.78 Total installed

Below is what I would recommend that you install. The street braking performance will be superior to what you have now. (MP calipers are excellent, but MP rotors & pads are average.)

$350 StopTech Front Drilled Rotors 370x30
Part Numbers: 128.34144L, 128.34144R

$103 Hawk 5.0 Front Pads HB765B.664

$200 Labor from my local independent factory certified mechanic

$653 TOTAL

Hope this helps!
Thank you for this information. Some time ago I had looked into the Stop Tech and Hawk option and concluded that they might be an acceptable non OEM option. I had to get the front brakes done but next time around I will more seriously look into the alternative solution you suggested.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 06:59 AM   #13
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

So not trying to hijack the thread or anything but I have a ridiculous amount of brake squeal with my M performance brakes during the cold winter months.. Imagine an estoril bleu school bus... I understand its harmonic resonance but wondering if I need to switch both pads AND rotors to a different product or just the pad. Rotors and pads are pretty much brand new which sucks but I just can't take the sound anymore. And yes, I have removed pads and cleaned and reapplied ceramic brake grease and I have chamfered the edges. That helped for about 4 days.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 07:20 AM   #14
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1664 View Post
Its easy money for these stealers to replace consumables like this.

You can see for yourself if the discs (or rotors as you call them over there) are grooved or lipped. Run your finger over the edge and you will feel if they are lipped. After 18k miles I would expect a slight lip and slight wear but they shouldn't need replacing at that mileage.

As stated the pads might need changing at some point in the future but they still have plenty of life in them.

Can you get a second opinion anywhere else ?
It's really suspect when they say that the edge has a lip because literally every rotor with a few miles has an edge lip. I view that as talking down to me like I don't know cars or brakes, and using it as a scam tactic.

A professional garage would have measured the rotor thickness and discussed wear limits. These rotors typically have a wear limit of 1.6mm. Front 340mm and 370mm rotors begin life at 30mm thick. Rear 345's are 24mm. Rear 330's are 20mm.

BMW rotors wear like iron because the pad materials are designed to wear instead of the rotor. I've removed and measured rotors after 15k miles that had 90+% wear remaining. And after 30k miles that had 80+% remaining. They all had a lip! I've put new pads on the same used rotors and they all worked flawlessly. If they squeak 99% of the time it's because the sliding surfaces weren't cleaned properly or the brake paste was applied properly.

I've found a wide mouth caliper to be a great tool to have around to check brake rotor wear. See photo.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
JR16641146.50
      02-21-2020, 07:42 AM   #15
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
So not trying to hijack the thread or anything but I have a ridiculous amount of brake squeal with my M performance brakes during the cold winter months.. Imagine an estoril bleu school bus... I understand its harmonic resonance but wondering if I need to switch both pads AND rotors to a different product or just the pad. Rotors and pads are pretty much brand new which sucks but I just can't take the sound anymore. And yes, I have removed pads and cleaned and reapplied ceramic brake grease and I have chamfered the edges. That helped for about 4 days.
Thanks
So it's only during winter months and you are positive that it is all four that you are hearing?

I have heard complaints that the M Performance dimpled & slotted rotors are noisy, but I don't remember a loud squeal being mentioned.

I've heard squeal complaints about cheap pads like Powerstops. If you do replace pads go with Hawk 5.0. I'm convinced that they are the best street performance pad. Better than BMW pads in every category.

If the noise is definitely coming from all four, then it has to be something systemic. You already mentioned all rotors and all pads. If it's the type of brake pad paste I'd buy some BMW pad paste from a dealer and reapply.

It could also be something that you are missing, like one cleaning or paste application step. Make sure to review cleaning all of the pad slide surfaces and pins. And also review the paste application procedure in detail which I'm sure is on newtis website.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 08:56 AM   #16
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxdmax View Post
Quote:
My rotors are blanks...though they were replaced by PO. I'll do blanks again...always have. I'm not planning on tracking so prefer my rotors without holes or slots.
I understand what you are saying. I'm not a fan of slotted rotors. They are designed for the track. Too noisy and they tear up street pads.

But if you get a chance, I'd encourage you to try actual cross-drilled rotors (not dimpled), even if just on the front. Drilled have superior bite to plain and slotted. And they make a difference in the rain since water can't stay between pad and rotor surface. There's a reason that Porsche, Mercedes, McLaren all do drilled rotors on their street cars. Definitely makes street brakes safer by performing better.

For example, StopTech Drilled Front 370x30 rotors cost about $350/pair Part#'s 128.34144L &R. There is a similar StopTech 340x30 Drilled front rotor for about the same price. Price from X-PH

Zimmermann also makes cross-drilled rotors. About $195/pair for 340mm, $225/pair for 370mm, and $139/pair for rear 330mm. Z prices from Pelican Parts.

Hawk 5.0 are the street pads that I'd recommend with them.

Take care!
Appreciate 1
Cpark1440.50
      02-21-2020, 09:17 AM   #17
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Quote:
So it's only during winter months and you are positive that it is all four that you are hearing?

I have heard complaints that the M Performance dimpled & slotted rotors are noisy, but I don't remember a loud squeal being mentioned.

I've heard squeal complaints about cheap pads like Powerstops. If you do replace pads go with Hawk 5.0. I'm convinced that they are the best street performance pad. Better than BMW pads in every category.

If the noise is definitely coming from all four, then it has to be something systemic. You already mentioned all rotors and all pads. If it's the type of brake pad paste I'd buy some BMW pad paste from a dealer and reapply.

It could also be something that you are missing, like one cleaning or paste application step. Make sure to review cleaning all of the pad slide surfaces and pins. And also review the paste application procedure in detail which I'm sure is on newtis website.

Hope this helps!
It's the fronts primarily. Brought to BMW too and said all is kosher and the noise is normal.... I was going to buy the hawks because i agree with you, best brake pad I have ever used.
Appreciate 1
johnung4526.50
      02-21-2020, 09:25 AM   #18
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
Quote:

Hope this helps!
It's the fronts primarily. Brought to BMW too and said all is kosher and the noise is normal.... I was going to buy the hawks because i agree with you, best brake pad I have ever used.
Maybe that's the noise complaint that I've heard about with the dimpled/slotted rotors. I don't know if a little or a lot of it could be MP pads contributing to it.

Would be great if you did an experiment by putting Hawk 5.0 pads on the front? I just saw a place online last night that was selling the front Hawk 5.0's for $102. I just did a search on the front Hawk part# (see photo) and the $102 came up. Just saying...😉
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 10:25 AM   #19
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep

OP, only other guess I have is that you have a little run out...as mentioned above, the cleaning of mating surface, including between rotor and hub and wheel and rotor. Also, I've read of many rotor mounting screws sitting proud of the rotor hat...that'd cause rotor to sit at an angle relative to the pads. Also make sure the caliper bracket is tight and on 'clean.' Otherwise, it sounds like it's just resonance. If you greased the back of pads, maybe try anti-squeal gunk...the red 'thin' crc stuff.

dmax on FB

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 08:41 PM   #20
dan of montana
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 328i xDrive Wagon

Not sure how I missed this thread. I just did a write up (link in sig) on my experience with Hawk HPS 5.0 pads. So far pretty dang quiet, and I have the M-Performance slotted/dimpled rotors.

Two things to consider:
1. I did a decent job applying the brake quiet stuff to the pads
2. More importantly, I bedded these things in reasonably hard. I can't recall the exact count, but it was something like 8 aggressive, but not ABS inducing, decelerations from 70ish down to 20ish. After that I drove for about 10 min without touching the brakes to let everything cool down and she was good to go.

My F31 Featured on Revo Garage F31 328i M-Sport
Appreciate 1
mholder23.50