F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > bootmod3 for BMW F series Vehicles - General Discussion
proTUNING Freaks

07-06-2020, 08:02 PM   #3169
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
You might be able to get some more boost out of it with a turbo inlet, or anything to optimize air in/air out. MPPK airbox mod could also help if you are on stock intake (see my post in the aftermarket inlet thread). Money better spent there than on the other mods you listed... I would not install a thermostat blocker, not needed unless you are tracking the car or something and detrimental to warmup.
Unfortunately, can't force more boost out of a already tiny turbo

If he wants more power, he has to swap the turbo. Even if he does max out the stock turbo, he can only make power to 5k rpm, and it will always drop off hard from there unfortunately, and you risk overspinning the turbo at that point, not very reliable power.

PS1 would be the best cost/power ratio, it's cheap, and if you want to upgrade to PS2 in the future, you just pay the difference.
      07-06-2020, 08:49 PM   #3170
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Unfortunately, can't force more boost out of a already tiny turbo

If he wants more power, he has to swap the turbo. Even if he does max out the stock turbo, he can only make power to 5k rpm, and it will always drop off hard from there unfortunately, and you risk overspinning the turbo at that point, not very reliable power.

PS1 would be the best cost/power ratio, it's cheap, and if you want to upgrade to PS2 in the future, you just pay the difference.
Yup i know it has its limitations. Making it breathe a little easier wont hurt though, and might squeeze out a psi or two without overworking it (analogous to WGDC decrease at a given boost level).
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 12:28 PM   #3171
TSA8151
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i msport

The inlet BMW initially sized for the f30 N55 fit the pwg turbo. They didn't increase the size of the inlet when they switched to the ewg turbo. I'm sure an aftermarket inlet will help a pwg turbo flow a bit better, but not like it does for the ewg turbos.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 12:57 PM   #3172
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW S1000XR

Going to hold off on any more mods unless it's good wheels and suspension. Honestly, I should stop since I'm trying to buy my first condo....
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 04:43 PM   #3173
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m2 lci

Quote:
If you have a vacuum leak due to bad PCV i suppose that could cause misfire... but you would expect it to happen all the time. You should be able to tell from visual inspection if your VCG is leaking onto the manifold and DP area. That would explain the smell.

I have never tried to pull my oil cap off while the engine is running so i am not 100% sure if this car builds vacuum in the crankcase under normal conditions.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f07...729b451dd8355d

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f07...729b45a472fb9c

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f07...0b4306763bff05

so here are 3 new logs from today after reseting the adaptations and the logs are a whole lot shorter and only when it was doing

sorry i dont have a video to show how the car sounds but is like hicups/misfires/sputters
      07-09-2020, 05:30 PM   #3174
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarortiz23 View Post

so here are 3 new logs from today after reseting the adaptations and the logs are a whole lot shorter and only when it was doing

sorry i dont have a video to show how the car sounds but is like hicups/misfires/sputters
The main things that stand out are:

Your STFT is extremely high, like +25% in one of the logs, and generally high in all of them.

Your timing is all over the place and even goes negative... not good.

RPM and MAF are both really erratic. RPM i assume because of the misfires... are you running an intake? What's your full mod list? Did you change anything right before the problem started? Did it happen on the sudden or get progressively worse?

Have you tried flashing back to stock / stage 0 to see how the car runs?

Was the problem there before you did plugs and coils?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 06:16 PM   #3175
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Your STFT is extremely high, like +25% in one of the logs, and generally high in all of them.

RPM and MAF are both really erratic. RPM i assume because of the misfires... are you running an intake? What's your full mod list? Did you change anything right before the problem started? Did it happen on the sudden or get progressively worse?

mod list is regular FBO catless downpipe intake fmic chargepipe .

ive always felt these little small hicups but it was very rare before and just little by little i started to feel them get worse and worse

for example now i feel like it is way worse

and only on part throttle when i do wot i honestly dont feel nothing ocasionaly i might get a small misfire but is very rare
danmm car runs better on wot lol

but i mean no danmm codes i reset the adaptations i think my next is going to see how my car feels with stock tune and see if it still does it

and i havent changed anything besides new plugs

do you think i need new coil packs maybe

pro tunning freaks are saying is a fuel problem maybe a bad injector or something

i just sent them these 3 logs here and waiting on a response from them
      07-09-2020, 06:39 PM   #3176
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

What stands out to me out of all those logs is his car was either misfiring or studdering so much, it looked like he wasn't even going WOT.

The logs are pretty unreadable until throttle angle stays at 100% throughout the entire RPM band. (2.5k to 6500rpm)
      07-09-2020, 06:44 PM   #3177
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What stands out to me out of all those logs is his car was either misfiring or studdering so much, it looked like he wasn't even going WOT.

The logs are pretty unreadable until throttle angle stays at 100% throughout the entire RPM band. (2.5k to 6500rpm)
yeah i wasnt i dont need to go wot for the car to misfire etc.

when ever i do a wot pull i feel like it doesnt sputter at all or if it does is so slightly you cant even notice it and is so rare when it happens

it is a hot day today is about 86 plus
      07-09-2020, 07:03 PM   #3178
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

so i just flashed my car back to flash and the car was smooth like butter no hicups no sputters no misfires nothing parth throttle wot
nothing the car drove perfectly normal

so hmm i wonder what it can be lol
my car isnt handiling the tune lol
      07-09-2020, 07:24 PM   #3179
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:

so i just flashed my car back to flash and the car was smooth like butter no hicups no sputters no misfires nothing parth throttle wot

What type of plugs are you running? GAP? Last time they were swapped?
      07-09-2020, 07:29 PM   #3180
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
What type of plugs are you running? GAP? Last time they were swapped?
spark plugs are brand new maybe 100 miles ago

and i am running stock plugs thats what pro tuniing freaks told me to run

so thats what i ran with
      07-09-2020, 07:50 PM   #3181
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Yeah saw he wasnt WOT. He said it works fine at WOT and the idea was to log the issue occuring.

Quote:

Then try stage 1 and see what happens. It seems strange that it only happens at part throttle, and WOT works even on the stage 2 tune... so i wouldnt think it would be boost related. It's worth mentioning to PTF that stock tune does not have the issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 08:34 PM   #3182
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
yeah i wasnt i dont need to go wot for the car to misfire etc.

when ever i do a wot pull i feel like it doesnt sputter at all or if it does is so slightly you cant even notice it and is so rare when it happens

it is a hot day today is about 86 plus
Do a WOT pull, a partial throttle it doesn't matter as much, if your car misfires at partial throttle, it should at WOT as well. If something is wrong, we can see it on the logs.
      07-09-2020, 08:42 PM   #3183
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

Quote:
Quote:
If you have a vacuum leak due to bad PCV i suppose that could cause misfire... but you would expect it to happen all the time. You should be able to tell from visual inspection if your VCG is leaking onto the manifold and DP area. That would explain the smell.

I have never tried to pull my oil cap off while the engine is running so i am not 100% sure if this car builds vacuum in the crankcase under normal conditions.

Looks to me like an issue with the throttle mapping in the tune. The first log throttle angle and target boost are more inline with where the pedal actually was and that log looks the smoothest from an rpm standpoint.
The other two logs are a hot mess, accel pedal at like 50% but throttle angle 100% and boost target is as if your pedal was 100%! In that instance the dme might be getting conflicting information as to what load to target and is fighting itself hence the crazy erratic rpm... that must have felt like shit in the drivers seat wow.

Send those logs to PTF support and ask why the car is demanding max boost at half throttle and kicking and bucking like a bronco.
      07-09-2020, 08:49 PM   #3184
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Looks to me like an issue with the throttle mapping in the tune. The first log throttle angle and target boost are more inline with where the pedal actually was and that log looks the smoothest from an rpm standpoint.
The other two logs are a hot mess, accel pedal at like 50% but throttle angle 100% and boost target is as if your pedal was 100%! In that instance the dme might be getting conflicting information as to what load to target and is fighting itself hence the crazy erratic rpm... that must have felt like shit in the drivers seat wow.

Send those logs to PTF support and ask why the car is demanding max boost at half throttle and kicking and bucking like a bronco.
Yeah exactly driver seat feels like shit

The way you explained it is how I honestly feel the car

I can be 50 percent throttle
And the car feels like is already at max boost and is just going crazy trying to take off

Right now I tested out stock tune the car felt amazing nice and smooth no hiccups at all

and yeah I sent those 3 logs to pro tunning freaks to see what's there comments on those 3 logs but

Yeah it feels wack and sounds like shit lol
Basically sputtering all through the gear

Like if it was some type of ignition coil problem or idk

But I just don't get a Danmm check engine light or a code nothing
      07-09-2020, 10:35 PM   #3185
TK335iMSPT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335ixdrive M Sport

Hello all! I'm learning more and more about logging each day. I've re-run some logs with the proper data this time. I'm getting what feels like braking up around 5.5k rmp through 6.5k rpm. To me they look ok except for timing. Please correct me if I'm wrong but timing looks off in several of the logs near the mid/higher RPM range. More specifically, cylinder 3 and 4?

2014 335i Xdrive N55 EWG 56k mikes
Stage 1 bm3 93octane version 7.1
Stock Bosch plugs/coils with stock gap with less than 3k miles
VRSF chargepipe and 5inch hd front mount intercooler

Thank you guys for the help in advance, it's truly appreciated!

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f02...90c607ae580fd3

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f02...729b0e6681830b

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f02...0b431e9674849d

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f04...0b431e96748a82
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:28 PM   #3186
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:

If he was in sport or sport+, that is completely normal throttle mapping and has nothing to do with the tune. Even stock tune does that. Look at attached images. in sport/sport+, the DME comands 100% throttle open at 41% pedal input. in comfort, it commants 100% at 70% pedal. That's just what makes the throttle feel so sensitive. (although of course sport/sport+ also change things like WGDC mapping, etc, but here im talking specifically to throttle mapping). There is never a 1:1 mapping of pedal input to commanded throttle position unless you run linear throttle mapping flash option in MHD or have it custom tuned.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:29 PM   #3187
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK335iMSPT View Post
Hello all! I'm learning more and more about logging each day. I've re-run some logs with the proper data this time. I'm getting what feels like braking up around 5.5k rmp through 6.5k rpm. To me they look ok except for timing. Please correct me if I'm wrong but timing looks off in several of the logs near the mid/higher RPM range. More specifically, cylinder 3 and 4?

If you haven't seen it yet, read here to learn: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1732327

(I think you might have based on info provided )
I'll try and take a look at these tomorrow if no one else does.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 12:34 AM   #3188
dalderks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK335iMSPT View Post

The timing in the first three logs doesn't look great (the last one won't load). Might be worth trying the 91 octane map or different gas. I've found the boost characteristics on 7.1 stage 1 to be a bit odd - stage 2 seems more steady from the logs I've seen. My boost characteristics on stage 1 look exactly the same as yours (if that's any conciliation). I haven't had time to do more experimenting. Maybe others will have more input.

Last edited by dalderks; 07-11-2020 at 12:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2020, 09:23 AM   #3189
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

Quote:
Quote:

If he was in sport or sport+, that is completely normal throttle mapping and has nothing to do with the tune. Even stock tune does that. Look at attached images. in sport/sport+, the DME comands 100% throttle open at 41% pedal input. in comfort, it commants 100% at 70% pedal. That's just what makes the throttle feel so sensitive. (although of course sport/sport+ also change things like WGDC mapping, etc, but here im talking specifically to throttle mapping). There is never a 1:1 mapping of pedal input to commanded throttle position unless you run linear throttle mapping flash option in MHD or have it custom tuned.
Well maybe throttle mapping was not the correct term. What I was trying to get at was that at 50% pedal the tune is demanding full boost and some parameter is off and doesn't like it hence the jerkiness and crazy rough rpm.

People are way to quick to start blaming hardware or swapping plugs or coils or blaming fuel quality. The fact is that in this case at part throttle on stock tune the car runs fine, part throttle on ots map car runs like shit. The reason is because something in the tune isn't working as it should and it can be rectified by PTF support, that's what they are there for.
      07-10-2020, 11:08 AM   #3190
xnick101
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f07...0b4307001539b8
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f07...0b4307001539b7

Anyone want to take a look at my logs for fun? E30 Stage 2 map. Filled it with 15 miles left to empty. Added 5 gallons of pump gas and 2 gallons of e85. Thanks
Appreciate 0