F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Partial load vibration/Stumbling (N55-EWG-Bootmod3 stage1/91)
Extreme Powerhouse

12-23-2020, 02:44 PM   #45
Rolynyari620
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335I N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz992 View Post
Log on both maps (partial throttle and WOT). Try to create vibrations for the longest possible period while taking logs on partial throttle .

Just to be clear, did you pump your car with less than 93 Oct ?
I'm questioning myself about the oct. I never pump less than 93 on any of my cars but because this was a gas station other than the one I use, I may have picked the wrong octane button.

The change was drastic, night before I drove it and it was fantastic, then woke up drove it to gas station, actually drove at speed on the highway, probably 80-130 mph and no problems. got off the exit , pumped gas, got back on the highway and immediately had the issue.

I've now gone through half a tank of fuel. I will take logs and report back but I have to learn how to use them. I'm going to read through threads. You guys are so helpful I don't want to ask how to take logs also. I'll just search it and report back :-) you guys are awesome!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 02:48 PM   #46
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolynyari620 View Post
I'm questioning myself about the oct. I never pump less than 93 on any of my cars but because this was a gas station other than the one I use, I may have picked the wrong octane button.

The change was drastic, night before I drove it and it was fantastic, then woke up drove it to gas station, actually drove at speed on the highway, probably 80-130 mph and no problems. got off the exit , pumped gas, got back on the highway and immediately had the issue.

I've now gone through half a tank of fuel. I will take logs and report back but I have to learn how to use them. I'm going to read through threads. You guys are so helpful I don't want to ask how to take logs also. I'll just search it and report back :-) you guys are awesome!
I already linked my thread on datalogging that discussed both how to take logs and how to read/interpret them:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1732327

No need to go digging for other threads
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2020, 09:49 AM   #47
pdxpeter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M50, 1991 E30 vert

Glad Im not the only one with this issue. Definitely feels like its lugging and just needs to downshift. I also tried the trans tune in BM3 and it just didn't drive well so I switched back to stock.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 11:21 AM   #48
Wiz992
Private
Oman
Rep
Drives: F33/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxpeter View Post
Glad Im not the only one with this issue. Definitely feels like its lugging and just needs to downshift. I also tried the trans tune in BM3 and it just didn't drive well so I switched back to stock.
yeah it's a common issue with some cars and downshifting can't be a permanent solution for this. Overlaying the TCU with tune without adjusting the shift points will not fix the issue.
Soon i'll configure the shift points to achieve the smoothest drive possible and will share the configuration once it's ready.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 03:09 PM   #49
Rolynyari620
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
I already linked my thread on datalogging that discussed both how to take logs and how to read/interpret them:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1732327

No need to go digging for other threads
Hi again guys, so I ran the car a few days on stock map, reflashed it to Stage 1 93 today and took her for a spin. Same problem. I tried data logging but i'm using my phone with a lightning cable adapter and I don't see any graphs when I go look for the datalog. It shows 4 datalogs on my app but when I click to see the graphs, it's empty.
Has anyone tried datalogging using their iphone?
I did a few pulls at high speed which is where I was most noticing the issue. Then I did a 4th gear pull instructions 2500rpm to 6500rpm - OMG all heck broke loose, drive train malfunctions galore!

I attached a pic of the codes it threw. Not sure you guys can help me until I have proper logs...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 07:09 PM   #50
Rolynyari620
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Stage 1 93 or whatever tune was giving you the issue. If you are still on stock flash, you could grab a log with that too just for a basline/comparison.
Hi guys, so I was able to datalog a bit without it throwing codes and putting me in limp mode like it did yesterday but it did have the issue when I was logging.

this is a 2014 335i EWG I'm on the Stage 1 91 flash right now. 53,000 miles. spark plugs and coils are maybe 5k miles old. Turner open intake, ER chargepipe, megan supremo exhaust.

2 logs are below

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5fed...90c67c6b367567
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5fed...729b406cb65d91

The car ran flawlessly on Stage 1 93 oct for a few weeks and then all of a sudden I got this issue.

I flashed to stock tune, ran normal. Flashed to 91 Oct, has the hesitation again.

Help Please :-) and thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 02:33 AM   #51
Wiz992
Private
Oman
Rep

Quote:
Hi guys, so I was able to datalog a bit without it throwing codes and putting me in limp mode like it did yesterday but it did have the issue when I was logging.

this is a 2014 335i EWG I'm on the Stage 1 91 flash right now. 53,000 miles. spark plugs and coils are maybe 5k miles old. Turner open intake, ER chargepipe, megan supremo exhaust.

2 logs are below

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5fed...90c67c6b367567
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5fed...729b406cb65d91

The car ran flawlessly on Stage 1 93 oct for a few weeks and then all of a sudden I got this issue.

I flashed to stock tune, ran normal. Flashed to 91 Oct, has the hesitation again.

Help Please :-) and thank you!
Hi !

Swap coil of cylinder 6 to 5 and 5 to 6 then run the diagnostics. If the misfire didn't follow to cylinder 5. Try the same the procedure with spark plugs.
Also check the coils connections.
If all good, fill the tank with Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus injector Cleaner and run it for 2 cycles.
If the above didn't work. you need to check the injector of cylinder 6.

If you're staying on stage 1 for a while, i'd suggest using OEM bosch plugs in the case the existing plugs are NGK. Many has reported misfiring issues with NGK 1-step colder plugs on stage 1.
At which speed and gear range does the hesitation occur ? WOT or partial ?

Last edited by Wiz992; 12-31-2020 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 02:21 PM   #52
Rolynyari620
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hi !

Swap coil of cylinder 6 to 5 and 5 to 6 then run the diagnostics. If the misfire didn't follow to cylinder 5. Try the same the procedure with spark plugs.
Also check the coils connections.
If all good, fill the tank with Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus injector Cleaner and run it for 2 cycles.
If the above didn't work. you need to check the injector of cylinder 6.

If you're staying on stage 1 for a while, i'd suggest using OEM bosch plugs in the case the existing plugs are NGK. Many has reported misfiring issues with NGK 1-step colder plugs on stage 1.
At which speed and gear range does the hesitation occur ? WOT or partial ?
Thank you!
I'm going to have my shop just replace all of the spark plus just in case. I'm going in anyway on January 8th for catless DP install. I went ahead and did the injector cleaner today anyway.

The speed ranges, it's the RPM range where it's constant. 3000-5500 rpm. It's a hard jerking from the engine bay. I would say it starts at about 50% throttle. When I went WOT I started throwing codes.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 02:48 PM   #53
Wiz992
Private
Oman
Rep

Quote:
Thank you!
I'm going to have my shop just replace all of the spark plus just in case. I'm going in anyway on January 8th for catless DP install. I went ahead and did the injector cleaner today anyway.

The speed ranges, it's the RPM range where it's constant. 3000-5500 rpm. It's a hard jerking from the engine bay. I would say it starts at about 50% throttle. When I went WOT I started throwing codes.
My pleasure!

That's good.85% it is ignition/injectors issue. Just make sure to swap the coils of cylinder 6 and 5 to rule them out. It's an easy DIY, you can do it by yourself even before going in for plug (If this is your daily car and need a quick fix)
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 05:17 PM   #54
Rolynyari620
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
My pleasure!

That's good.85% it is ignition/injectors issue. Just make sure to swap the coils of cylinder 6 and 5 to rule them out. It's an easy DIY, you can do it by yourself even before going in for plug (If this is your daily car and need a quick fix)
Perfect, I'm going to swap the coils first then :-)

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 08:23 AM   #55
Rolynyari620
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
My pleasure!

Hi Wiz992, I haven't had a chance to switch the coil yet because we were on a road trip to Georgia (not in the beemer :-) ) but I had a nagging thought...
I don't understand a lot of the technicalities yet of the tuning. I know that it's much more advanced and changes different parameters not just boost targets like my old piggyback BMS Stage 1 - but I guess my question is, How come when I flash to stock the car has no issues? Wouldn't the misfire/bad coil/bad spark plug/ bad injector follow whatever tune I'm on? How come it's just on the Bootmod3 tune?

Again, total noob over here lol asking what is probably a total noob question
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 08:41 AM   #56
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

Quote:
Quote:
My pleasure!

Hi Wiz992, I haven't had a chance to switch the coil yet because we were on a road trip to Georgia (not in the beemer :-) ) but I had a nagging thought...
I don't understand a lot of the technicalities yet of the tuning. I know that it's much more advanced and changes different parameters not just boost targets like my old piggyback BMS Stage 1 - but I guess my question is, How come when I flash to stock the car has no issues? Wouldn't the misfire/bad coil/bad spark plug/ bad injector follow whatever tune I'm on? How come it's just on the Bootmod3 tune?

I'm no genius when it comes to data logging but you're definitely pulling timing between 3k and 4k ish rpm.

I would think that the problem could correct itself by going back to stock, if the plugs in their condition/gap/brand are having a hard time with the tune. I am still on oem plugs and stage 2 with no issues there.

However I TOO got some "bad gas" and it ran havoc on my timing. No codes or cels though. Been using shell 93oct with a gallon of e85 and my timing is perfect.
      01-04-2021, 11:19 AM   #57
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:

Running a tune can just exacerbate hardware problems, but it doesn't necessarily mean the tune is the issue. It's possible the car runs OK on stock tune because its conservative enough to not push your car into having misfires.

Whenever you have a misfire on specific cylinders to the point of getting drivetrain malfunction, one of the first things you do is try swapping plug/coil from a misfiring cylinder to a non-misfiring cylinder to see if the problem follows the parts, as mentioned above. If its not plug or coil, it could be injector.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 02:02 PM   #58
Rolynyari620
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Running a tune can just exacerbate hardware problems, but it doesn't necessarily mean the tune is the issue. It's possible the car runs OK on stock tune because its conservative enough to not push your car into having misfires.

Whenever you have a misfire on specific cylinders to the point of getting drivetrain malfunction, one of the first things you do is try swapping plug/coil from a misfiring cylinder to a non-misfiring cylinder to see if the problem follows the parts, as mentioned above. If its not plug or coil, it could be injector.
Thank you so much guys! That all makes sense :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 11:07 PM   #59
pdxpeter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M50, 1991 E30 vert

I did all the maint I had built up. New plugs, new IC, tranny fluid swap, diff fluid, front thrust arms. It really didn't take too long.

The shudder is still there but not as bad. Im going to do the BM3 tranny flash again this weekend and see how it goes. It didn't work too well the first time so Im curious what it will do now.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 01:30 AM   #60
Wiz992
Private
Oman
Rep

Quote:
Thank you so much guys! That all makes sense :-)
Our pleasure . Let us know !
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 01:54 AM   #61
Wiz992
Private
Oman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxpeter View Post
I did all the maint I had built up. New plugs, new IC, tranny fluid swap, diff fluid, front thrust arms. It really didn't take too long.

The shudder is still there but not as bad. Im going to do the BM3 tranny flash again this weekend and see how it goes. It didn't work too well the first time so Im curious what it will do now.
Man this is a dark path. You don't have to replace all these, you'll spend a lot for nothing . Sad to inform you that, BM3 TCU tune is pure M235i transmission map and it will not eliminate the shudder.It might even increase the shudder since the torque limits are increased (This was experienced by me).
You need to mitigate the load on your car by adjusting the gear upshifts/downshifts to smoothly cope with the requested torque.

You need to go for TCU custom tune or reduce the torque request.

Cheers
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2021, 01:59 PM   #62
Wiz992
Private
Oman
Rep

Shift points configuration - Shudder fix on low RPM/partial throttle

Hi guys !

So for those who are experiencing vibrations at low RPM on partial throttle (Usually from 4th to 8th gear), if you already have examined the ignition coils & spark plugs, injectors,O2 sensors, vacuum lines and CP, Flex disk and centre bearing, engine and transmission mounts, wheels, the right octane as per your tune, no engine codes and the car runs fine on stock map, you can proceed with TCU tune. In case you wanted a cheap fix and you own ZF HP8 transmission (F30/F32/F33), you can purchase XHP license only (183$) and alter your up-shifts and down-shifts as mentioned below (Configured by me and the car now runs smooth as silk, the shudder is 100% eliminated, no lugging, auto gear shifting is more responsive and the load on drivetrain is reduced to 80%).
  • Upshiftes
    1>>>2: 5%
    2>>>3: 10%
    3>>>4: 20%
    4>>>5: 25%
    5>>>6: 30%
    6>>>7: 25%
    7>>>8: 30%
  • Downshifts
    2>>>1: 5%
    3>>>2: 10%
    4>>>3: 10%
    5>>>4: 20%
    6>>>5: 25%
    7>>>6: 30%
    8>>>7: 25%

The above configurations is for D-mode. For S, to be updated later.
Please note that, these adjustments is based on TCU stock map

All the best !
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 11:10 AM   #63
Rolynyari620
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Our pleasure . Let us know !
So quick update guys, new coils and NGK plugs installed along with Active Autowerke catless downpipe and did the OFHG that was leaking while we were at it (gasket and labor covered by aftermarket warranty :-))
Flashed to Stage 2 AGR

my mechanic took her out this morning for test runs and datalogging and all is well.

The hesitation/jerking is gone. I think it was just one of the coils that were bad.

By the way he ran hard 4th gear pulls before the coils were replaced, had the nasty hesitation but the car never threw codes again.

Needless to say, I am very excited to get her back this afternoon!

woop woop!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 12:42 PM   #64
Wiz992
Private
Oman
Rep

Quote:
So quick update guys, new coils and NGK plugs installed along with Active Autowerke catless downpipe and did the OFHG that was leaking while we were at it (gasket and labor covered by aftermarket warranty :-))
Flashed to Stage 2 AGR

my mechanic took her out this morning for test runs and datalogging and all is well.

The hesitation/jerking is gone. I think it was just one of the coils that were bad.

By the way he ran hard 4th gear pulls before the coils were replaced, had the nasty hesitation but the car never threw codes again.

woop woop!
Glad to hear that man !. Wish you all the best and stay safe
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 10:57 PM   #65
Rolynyari620
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Flashed to Stage 2 AGR

woop woop!
Glad to hear that man !. Wish you all the best and stay safe
Thanks man! She's amazing! What a beast.
Turner Intercooler and xHP flash next.
And then I'm done... for now
Appreciate 0