F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Brake pads and rotors suggestions -
Extreme Powerhouse

01-09-2021, 05:07 PM   #1
lebaaron
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xdrive

Brake pads and rotors suggestions -

Hi

My 2013 335i xdrive M sport package (grey caliper 4 pistons front and 2 in the back I beleive ) has 155xxx km and I'm due to change the break pads in summer. Since I have have the car for about couple months I'd like to start fresh and getting new rotors as well.

I heard about combo Zimmerman /akebono.

I'd like a mild upgrade from stock since I don't track.

Let me know some setup you running and you are happy with the links please so I can pick one up.

Thank you for reading me.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 05:25 PM   #2
paulymu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i Xdrive Msport

I'm in a similar situation. My rear pads needs replacing on my 16 340 xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 06:18 PM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebaaron View Post
Hi

My 2013 335i xdrive M sport package (grey caliper 4 pistons front and 2 in the back I beleive ) has 155xxx km and I'm due to change the break pads in summer. Since I have have the car for about couple months I'd like to start fresh and getting new rotors as well.

I heard about combo Zimmerman /akebono.

I'd like a mild upgrade from stock since I don't track.

Let me know some setup you running and you are happy with the links please so I can pick one up.

Thank you for reading me.
If you have grey brakes, you have front 340mm and rear 330mm. Akebono pads are no better than average and they are ceramic so they literally don't work when they are cold. Get in the car to go to work and no brakes!

Best street pads by far are Hawk 5.0. Best bite and instant warm up. See photo for part numbers. (330mm rear pad number in small print)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 06:22 PM   #4
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulymu View Post
I'm in a similar situation. My rear pads needs replacing on my 16 340 xdrive.
If you have grey brakes then they are Front 340mm/rear 330mm. Blue calipers means front 370mm and rear 345mm. Hawk 5.0 pads are the best by far. You will notice a huge difference. See photo for part numbers
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 06:36 PM   #5
lebaaron
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
If you have grey brakes, you have front 340mm and rear 330mm. Akebono pads are no better than average and they are ceramic so they literally don't work when they are cold. Get in the car to go to work and no brakes!

Best street pads by far are Hawk 5.0. Best bite and instant warm up. See photo for part numbers. (330mm rear pad number in small print)
extremely useful thx, especially here in Canada it's - 20 Celsius 😬
So pads are will be done, no rotors left, do you have suggestions as well?

Last edited by lebaaron; 01-09-2021 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 07:33 PM   #6
paulymu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone ever used this brand?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 07:40 PM   #7
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Sure. If you are looking for stock replacement rotors I'd suggest Zimmermann plain rotors. They are high quality German replacements plus unlike BMW rotors they are zinc coated against rust.

Avoid dimpled or slotted rotors, they aren't much of an improvement and they are noisy and tear up pads.

If you want an improvement, then get StopTech Crossdrilled rotors. The bite along with the Hawk 5.0 pads is amazing. Best bite! Crossdrilled are also great in rain since water can't build up between pad and rotor surfaces. StopTech have separate left and right part numbers because their directional internal vanes provide optimal cooling.

If you are going for the improved braking also upgrade the rubber brake hoses to stainless steel brake lines. Much more solid brake pedal feel. Only $109
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
paulymu62.50
BimR245.00
      01-09-2021, 08:07 PM   #8
lebaaron
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sure. If you are looking for stock replacement rotors I'd suggest Zimmermann plain rotors. They are high quality German replacements plus unlike BMW rotors they are zinc coated against rust.

Avoid dimpled or slotted rotors, they aren't much of an improvement and they are noisy and tear up pads.

If you want an improvement, then get StopTech Crossdrilled rotors. The bite along with the Hawk 5.0 pads is amazing. Best bite! Crossdrilled are also great in rain since water can't build up between pad and rotor surfaces. StopTech have separate left and right part numbers because their directional internal vanes provide optimal cooling.

If you are going for the improved braking also upgrade the rubber brake hoses to stainless steel brake lines. Much more solid brake pedal feel. Only $109

Thank you again for taking the time to answer and the useful information again
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      01-09-2021, 08:28 PM   #9
ggrcrash
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 x-drive

If you live in a snowy climate, do not do the stainless steel brake lines, you will be sorry in less than 25k miles...they deteriorate...On a norm they rarely last more that about 50k anyway, with a good climate, there is a reason why they are not OEM equipment. The DO enhance pedal feel, however unless you are proficient on DYI brake line replacement, you WILL become that way or go broke paying a mechanic to constantly do it. If you don't believe me, Google is your friend, you will read enough horror stories about the wear issue. Race cars have changing the brake lines as routine maintenance every couple of races. Brownie points aren't worth an empty wallet or much worse if they leak.
Appreciate 3
paulymu62.50
Insane435476.50
Ennoch2257.00
      01-09-2021, 08:33 PM   #10
ggrcrash
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csV5gQo9wmc
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 08:44 PM   #11
lebaaron
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrcrash View Post
If you live in a snowy climate, do not do the stainless steel brake lines, you will be sorry in less than 25k miles...they deteriorate...On a norm they rarely last more that about 50k anyway, with a good climate, there is a reason why they are not OEM equipment. The DO enhance pedal feel, however unless you are proficient on DYI brake line replacement, you WILL become that way or go broke paying a mechanic to constantly do it. If you don't believe me, Google is your friend, you will read enough horror stories about the wear issue. Race cars have changing the brake lines as routine maintenance every couple of races. Brownie points aren't worth an empty wallet or much worse if they leak.

very informative thx
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 09:47 PM   #12
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulymu View Post
Anyone ever used this brand?
Cheap junk!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 09:54 PM   #13
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Absolute baloney! I've used stainless steel lines on my cars for decades and have never experienced anything like you claim. I've never had to replace a SS line. A buddy owns a BMW shop and he says the same thing.

The tip to installing them is to thread them into the back of the caliper first and then attach them to the mounting point on the car.
Appreciate 1
Ennoch2257.00
      01-09-2021, 10:00 PM   #14
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Excellent info! Saving this for myself.
Appreciate 1
paulymu62.50
      01-09-2021, 11:07 PM   #15
paulymu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Where can i purchase these rotors and pads from?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 02:24 PM   #16
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
Quote:

Did you experiace rust on your rotors? Can you let me know where?

The argument with the rain is not valid any more. We have got a rotor drying mechanism as soon as the wipers come on.
      01-10-2021, 03:35 PM   #17
ggrcrash
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Absolute baloney! I've used stainless steel lines on my cars for decades and have never experienced anything like you claim. I've never had to replace a SS line. A buddy owns a BMW shop and he says the same thing.

The tip to installing them is to thread them into the back of the caliper first and then attach them to the mounting point on the car.
It's the constant up/down movement of the suspension with the stress on the connection points, plus salt and water with the constant wetness/drying cycles. I cannot attest with your situation but I guess some people are just lucky. Maybe its just that people just cheap out with them, and the use the fleabay (pun intended) cheap Chinese manufactured ones, I have know idea.
I suppose everyone's mileage and experience will vary with them. But use them at your own risk;
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 04:49 PM   #18
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWbimmer View Post
Quote:

Did you experiace rust on your rotors? Can you let me know where?

The argument with the rain is not valid any more. We have got a rotor drying mechanism as soon as the wipers come on.
Go to any new bmw dealer and look at the rust on the rotor hats and side vanes. Did you think that I'm some idiot who doesn't know that the rotor swept surface will rust if a car sits.

What kind of dope are you smoking with a "rotor drying mechanism". Drive a car in the pouring rain with plain rotors versus crossdrilled rotors. It's obvious that the crossdrilled rotor braking is superior in rain.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 04:58 PM   #19
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

It's the constant up/down movement of the suspension with the stress on the connection points, plus salt and water with the constant wetness/drying cycles. I cannot attest with your situation but I guess some people are just lucky. Maybe its just that people just cheap out with them, and the use the fleabay (pun intended) cheap Chinese manufactured ones, I have know idea.
I suppose everyone's mileage and experience will vary with them. But use them at your own risk;
The suspension movement that you describe is exactly the same whether a car has rubber brake hoses or stainless steel brake lines. The fittings are the same so there is no reason for one to leak over another.

The stainless steel sheath performs two functions. It prevents the inner hose from ballooning so the hydraulic pressure is transmitted without delay to the brake pads. The second function is mostly applicable to racing where shrapnel on the track could easily slice through a rubber hose. The stainless outer sheath offers some protection and safety.
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5886.00
      01-10-2021, 07:12 PM   #20
CntryClub007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i | 2015 X5-50i

My experience

Rotors: Zimmerman (Solid blanks, not slotted/drilled)
Pads: OEM
Lines: Stainless (StopTech or ECS)

I've tried the ceramic pad thing and was not a fan at all (zero initial bite) and in the cold, they weren't great. Gave me next to no braking confidence.

Don't forget a fluid flush as well and do F/R at same time.
Appreciate 1
Insane435476.50
      01-10-2021, 07:50 PM   #21
lebaaron
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryClub007 View Post
My experience

Rotors: Zimmerman (Solid blanks, not slotted/drilled)
Pads: OEM
Lines: Stainless (StopTech or ECS)

I've tried the ceramic pad thing and was not a fan at all (zero initial bite) and in the cold, they weren't great. Gave me next to no braking confidence.

Don't forget a fluid flush as well and do F/R at same time.
Thank you for sharing and yes I'll do them at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 03:38 PM   #22
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
Quote:
Go to any new bmw dealer and look at the rust on the rotor hats and side vanes. Did you think that I'm some idiot who doesn't know that the rotor swept surface will rust if a car sits.

What kind of dope are you smoking with a "rotor drying mechanism". Drive a car in the pouring rain with plain rotors versus crossdrilled rotors. It's obvious that the crossdrilled rotor braking is superior in rain.
What's wrong with you? Got up on the wrong foot?

Here the prove one the brake drying system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch/VUwhCZ2duSk

And to claify on the other myth. There is no way you can prevent the rotor surface to stop rusting. There is not coating which would not be rubbed off with the first time braking. ???

Go back to bed when you had a bad night sleep