F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
ARMA SPEED

01-13-2021, 12:10 PM   #5985
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryderf30 View Post
Hi all,

SDK Version: 25.0.0.5.6.0.0.0
CUST Version: 3.1.2.gpe.b
MCU Version: 20.10.22.16
HW Version: BMW_NBT

It was mentioned that the box I have is Andream A. All works well except AA doesn't auto start. Can I still downgrade to a firmware that fixes this bug? Although my firmware seems newer?

Thanks!
If you use Android Auto and have an A unit then I recommend the custom sw on the first page. It auto-starts AA and also switches to night mode automatically when your headlights turn on.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 12:15 PM   #5986
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTroll View Post
If you look at my question just above your comment, someone responded that sellers are recommending that you first flash the software updates, then do the firmware. Sounds like you did the firmware first. I'm wondering if that's your issue. I was able to flash to BR112 first, then do the firmware update to 20.10.22.16 without any issue. In fact, I just dropped both updates on the same flash drive and did them one after the other without even unplugging the flash drive or turning the car off.
Yes, that was my post about sellers recommending that you first flash the system before the mcu.

Myself and others have already tried that. The burn failure issue that we are dealing with only affects a few it seems. Haven't been able to find the root cause...yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 12:20 PM   #5987
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpX View Post
Just small remark from my experience when flashing various hardware with new firmware (e.q. audio amplifier, navigations , etc..).

Did you format the USB drivers to FAT32 using Windows machine?
Because I am by default running Mac, and a lot of times have problems with these drives when I format them using the Mac OSX utility to FAT32 - It would appear that Mac does something with formatting slightly differently.

And btw, always try to use small USB, 8GB or less.
Thanks for that.

We have tried all of the obvious stuff, e.g. fat32 on Windows and Linux, new flash drives, Rufus format tool, etc.

I suspect the issue is somehow software related, possibly a file header issue combined with other variables. I will keep trying to narrow it down. In the meantime, I am just sharing info for those experiencing the same thing hoping that we can start to zero in on the issue.
Appreciate 2
ImpX13.50
      01-13-2021, 03:37 PM   #5988
ryderf30
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
If you use Android Auto and have an A unit then I recommend the custom sw on the first page. It auto-starts AA and also switches to night mode automatically when your headlights turn on.

Thank you! Going to give that a go.

Anyone know if we can take a backup of the existing SW before updating?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 05:06 PM   #5989
GoodTroll
Rep
Drives: Red 2014 328i Sport Line

Quote:
Yes, that was my post about sellers recommending that you first flash the system before the mcu.

Myself and others have already tried that. The burn failure issue that we are dealing with only affects a few it seems. Haven't been able to find the root cause...yet.
Oops, yep, didn't realize both were you. Sorry you're having issues!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 08:41 PM   #5990
ryderf30
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Just in case someone else has my unit. It is Andream version B and NOT A.
Loading the USB, it's asking for the GEMINI_Pack.bin

Unfortunately the custom software will not work then!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 09:28 PM   #5991
GEDDES
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F30 330i

Quote:
Thanks for that.

We have tried all of the obvious stuff, e.g. fat32 on Windows and Linux, new flash drives, Rufus format tool, etc.

I suspect the issue is somehow software related, possibly a file header issue combined with other variables. I will keep trying to narrow it down. In the meantime, I am just sharing info for those experiencing the same thing hoping that we can start to zero in on the issue.
Thankyou for all the work you have put in to this post. Honestly I still check back hoping for the custom firmware for the B units. Its crazy to think its nearly there. Once again thankyou.
Appreciate 1
muniz_ri447.50
      01-14-2021, 04:39 AM   #5992
marrhou
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 LCI

Hi all,

First time posting on this forum. I've been reading it for a while now, and first of all thank you to all people contributing and helping others.

I recently purchased one for my F30 LCI with NBT Evo (iDrive 5). Decided to take it from these guys in UK, TA Automotive. Their feedback on FB was great, I wanted to get the best support I could.
I was not disappointed on this, with answers within minutes and precision even during the weekend.

The box is compatible with Evo ID5 (ID6 too I guess) HU. It looks like it is a Andream A version, regarding the firmware naming, setup interface, and PIN code required to get in the update menu. Here are the details:

CUST Version: v2.1.0.8.gpe.e
MCU Version: 20.9.18.20
HW Version: BMW_EVO

I mainly use AA with a One Plus 7T. Wireless ******ion is OK (sometimes need to initiate ******ion twice, but did not have disconnection issues so far).
There was some echo during calls fixed by tweaking the audio settings a bit. There is no option to pass calls through OEM BT in settings.
The dark mode auto switch does not seem to work.

Concerning the firmware since it is supposedly an Andream A version, is is possible to install custom firmware on it or is it packaged for specific hardware (NBT, CIC)? Cause it obv would be so great to have the custom one with AA.

I am generally happy so far with the product, Audio is good enough for me (Maybe Google Assistant which has not the same quality but music was my main concern).

Concerning the installation I had to bring down the glove box, but is was not as hard as I expected actually, well even if I reconnected the battery without replugging the harness in the passenger airbag switch , which raised a nice fault on start.
For others meeting this too, I purchased a Veepeak BLE and just installed an OBD reader, bimmer-tool, which cleared this in a minute. but RTFM (twice)
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      01-14-2021, 11:51 AM   #5993
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrhou View Post
Hi all,

First time posting on this forum. I've been reading it for a while now, and first of all thank you to all people contributing and helping others.

I recently purchased one for my F30 LCI with NBT Evo (iDrive 5). Decided to take it from these guys in UK, TA Automotive. Their feedback on FB was great, I wanted to get the best support I could.
I was not disappointed on this, with answers within minutes and precision even during the weekend.

The box is compatible with Evo ID5 (ID6 too I guess) HU. It looks like it is a Andream A version, regarding the firmware naming, setup interface, and PIN code required to get in the update menu. Here are the details:

CUST Version: v2.1.0.8.gpe.e
MCU Version: 20.9.18.20
HW Version: BMW_EVO

I mainly use AA with a One Plus 7T. Wireless ******ion is OK (sometimes need to initiate ******ion twice, but did not have disconnection issues so far).
There was some echo during calls fixed by tweaking the audio settings a bit. There is no option to pass calls through OEM BT in settings.
The dark mode auto switch does not seem to work.

Concerning the firmware since it is supposedly an Andream A version, is is possible to install custom firmware on it or is it packaged for specific hardware (NBT, CIC)? Cause it obv would be so great to have the custom one with AA.

I am generally happy so far with the product, Audio is good enough for me (Maybe Google Assistant which has not the same quality but music was my main concern).

Concerning the installation I had to bring down the glove box, but is was not as hard as I expected actually, well even if I reconnected the battery without replugging the harness in the passenger airbag switch , which raised a nice fault on start.
For others meeting this too, I purchased a Veepeak BLE and just installed an OBD reader, bimmer-tool, which cleared this in a minute. but RTFM (twice)
I would ask the seller for a copy of the latest software update. Maybe Firefly1337 can analyze it to see if the unit is compatible with the custom sw in this thread.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2021, 01:22 PM   #5994
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimsilva View Post
I agree.

Just finnish a new procedure that they sent me and no luck again.

Point 3 is not very clear to me, but i've tried different away and the upgrade process never starts.
What was the procedure that they suggested? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 01:38 PM   #5995
marrhou
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 LCI

Quote:
I would ask the seller for a copy of the latest software update. Maybe Firefly1337 can analyze it to see if the unit is compatible with the custom sw in this thread.
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I'll post a link as soon as they send me.

There are more recent MCU versions around. I guess it is the same for them, cross hardware compatibility is not obvious, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 01:39 PM   #5996
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrhou View Post
Quote:
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I'll post a link as soon as they send me.

There are more recent MCU versions around. I guess it is the same for them, cross hardware compatibility is not obvious, right?
Correct
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 03:14 PM   #5997
ckarv
Private
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
What was the procedure that they suggested? Thank you.
I'm guessing this is the new/alternative procedure rimsilva referred to (copied from his post on page 271):

Quote:
Download link:
https://mega.nz/file/mpdAUThY#8arndR...c14LxOSx_3NTkg
Operation steps:
1. Format the USB disk, copy the upgrade file into the root directory of the USB flash drive (FAT32, less than 16GB).
2. Insert the USB flash drive into the USB port.
3. Power on the Carplay, then keep pressing the 'Back' key for 5s, the screen display interface of the vehicle will leave the original vehicle interface.
4.At this time, the system detects the upgrade file and starts the automatic upgrade.
5. Wait for about 2 minutes, the upgrade process will occur, and the power cannot be turned off during the process.
7. After the upgrade is completed, it will keep at the upgrade interface
I would understand the procedure as:
1. Insert FAT32 usb stick with FW file into USB port.
2. Power on car (press start button without foot on brake) and by extension MMI box.
3. Hold back button for 5s to restart MMI box.
4. Should enter upgrade mode automatically if it detects USB stick with FW. (Don't turn off car)
5. Wait for upgrade to complete.

Is this how you understood this as well? Not sure how the screen switches between idrive and MMI during this procedure.

Last edited by ckarv; 01-14-2021 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2021, 03:57 PM   #5998
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarv View Post
I'm guessing this is the new/alternative procedure rimsilva referred to (copied from his post on page 271):

2. Power on car (press start button without foot on brake) and by extension MMI box.
4. Should enter upgrade mode automatically if it detects USB stick with FW. (Don't turn off car)

Is this how you understood this as well? Not sure how the screen switches between idrive and MMI during this procedure.
Thank you. I thought that he may have been given a different procedure to force flash the update.

The above procedure is the same one used for Carlinkit and Bimmertech and maybe other units. I tried it with the RoadTop firmware but unfortunately it didn't work.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 04:22 AM   #5999
rimsilva
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: i3 60Ah BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarv View Post

yep, that's the procedure that I was reffering to.

I just had some doubts about point "3. Power on the Carplay..", what the meaning of power on the Carplay, if it was to enter in the MMI box menu or not, they confirm that it was that.

Dispite they confirm it, i've done the 5s procedure from the MMI box menu and the idrive menu, but no automatically update.

Aftwards they asked me a video doing the new upgrade process, no answer until now.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 06:36 AM   #6000
SniperZoz
Rep
Drives: BMW F22 228i

Exclamation

Hey - just got sent new Roadtop B firmware BR115 ... looking good

Download here - BR115

muniz_ri ^^^
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      01-15-2021, 09:07 AM   #6001
Rasoul77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperZoz View Post

Download here - BR115

muniz_ri ^^^
Thanks for sharing!
Does AA auto connect work now?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 09:16 AM   #6002
SniperZoz
Rep
Drives: BMW F22 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasoul77 View Post
Thanks for sharing!
Does AA auto connect work now?
Yes - but I was on BR112 before and it also auto-connected (pixel 5 here) so can't say I saw a change there .. that said I've only used it a few mins post FW update.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 10:34 AM   #6003
ggonxhi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ggonxhi

I just purchased the Andream CIC for my 2011 BMW.

Does the music play through Bluetooth or WiFi for CarPlay?

Also can someone advise how to go by installing the latest update?
Do I install Cust than MU?

Thank you I’m advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 10:42 AM   #6004
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperZoz View Post

Download here - BR115

muniz_ri ^^^
Thanks for sharing! Unfortunately for me I still get the burn failure message. I have a new usb drive arriving today, fingers crossed that works.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 10:48 AM   #6005
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

New version

New update BR115 for RoadTop NBT B-Version can be found on the 1st page (thx SniperZoz).

The update is from:
Code:
created: 2020-12-22 10:40:45
For the first time in a long time, they included a changelog again. Most of the items concern other brands like Mercedes Benz or Lexus, but here are some interesting pieces: (Google Translate)

Quote:
2. All models have added music volume and voice volume options in the settings;
7. The AndriodAuto widescreen of all models is changed to the clear screen display;
9. All models of Android AUTO modify automatic connection, no longer need mobile phone confirmation;
And whatever that means:
Quote:
13. the upgrade method for some models was made compatible, and the upgrade time was shortened compared to the previous version.

And since I'm posting anyway, an update from my side. You might have already noticed it from muniz_ri's previous posts, but I finally cracked the GEMINI_PACK.BIN last week. I am successfully able to (cross-)flash B versions to A versions and vice versa.
It is working perfectly for Andream A/B versions but he's getting that infamous burn error while flashing RoadTop B to A (//Edit: have a look at the post before mine). Once that problem is solved, I will release everything to the public.
Appreciate 13
muniz_ri447.50
rcaso26331.00
ImpX13.50
x-m4n148.00
eexxcc9.00
liam7752.50
Cruez3.00
      01-15-2021, 11:42 AM   #6006
rimsilva
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: i3 60Ah BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly1337 View Post
New update BR115 for RoadTop NBT B-Version can be found on the 1st page (thx SniperZoz).

The update is from:
Code:
created: 2020-12-22 10:40:45
For the first time in a long time, they included a changelog again. Most of the items concern other brands like Mercedes Benz or Lexus, but here are some interesting pieces: (Google Translate)

And whatever that means:

And since I'm posting anyway, an update from my side. You might have already noticed it from muniz_ri's previous posts, but I finally cracked the GEMINI_PACK.BIN last week. I am successfully able to (cross-)flash B versions to A versions and vice versa.
It is working perfectly for Andream A/B versions but he's getting that infamous burn error while flashing RoadTop B to A (//Edit: have a look at the post before mine). Once that problem is solved, I will release everything to the public.
Ok, I will wait to test your file in my Andream B box, and see if I can get rid off "burn error" and version 1.0.4...
Appreciate 0