F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Fired for making jokes about the Welsh
Extreme Powerhouse

02-18-2021, 04:56 AM   #23
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
You guys know where I live I'm sure. Welsh people are also scratching theirs heads as to why and claiming it's against free speech etc!

Slightly bonkers but we don't know the whole story. He could just be a jerk at work and this was a great reason to let him go!

Welsh as a language, don't get me started, kids having to take it to GCSE level here just because of a postcode and as far as I can tell it used by Welsh people to talk rudely about 'English' (I'm not English you idiots) while out at the shops.
I think as you say it seems pretty likely that it’s been used as a reason to get rid of him.

If he’s not smart enough to sensor his public activity in a senior position, then I can only imagine what he’s like in less public meetings and communications.

I agree that it certainly wasn’t enough to get rid of him on it’s own.

But his original post was in defence of Amanda Holden and basically saying that Cornish residents only grassed her up because they loathe us and be careful where you book your own holiday. Insinuating clearly that it’s their fault and not Amanda’s for potentially breaking the rules.

It’s pretty clumsy, not that funny, but not worth sacking someone for I’m sure. But if that is a sign of how he acts the rest of the time at work, maybe as you say it was used as a reason to do what they’d wanted to do for a while.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 05:15 AM   #24
Steve_M_Sport
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: U06 230e Active Tourer

Quote:
Your HR department now has a screenshot of this Steve.

Not for now, but the next time you mess up
Luckily I work for myself

Previous : 2019 F31 340i : 2017 F31 335D M-Sport
Appreciate 1
JustChris17634.50
      02-18-2021, 06:08 AM   #25
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [9.25]
IX  [8.67]
As a PR consultant he has caused bad PR for his firm so there is justification in it being a competence issue.
Appreciate 2
      02-18-2021, 03:40 PM   #26
Witney
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model-Y LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Quote:
You guys know where I live I'm sure. Welsh people are also scratching theirs heads as to why and claiming it's against free speech etc!

Slightly bonkers but we don't know the whole story. He could just be a jerk at work and this was a great reason to let him go!

Welsh as a language, don't get me started, kids having to take it to GCSE level here just because of a postcode and as far as I can tell it used by Welsh people to talk rudely about 'English' (I'm not English you idiots) while out at the shops.
I think as you say it seems pretty likely that it's been used as a reason to get rid of him.

If he's not smart enough to sensor his public activity in a senior position, then I can only imagine what he's like in less public meetings and communications.

I agree that it certainly wasn't enough to get rid of him on it's own.

But his original post was in defence of Amanda Holden and basically saying that Cornish residents only grassed her up because they loathe us and be careful where you book your own holiday. Insinuating clearly that it's their fault and not Amanda's for potentially breaking the rules.

It's pretty clumsy, not that funny, but not worth sacking someone for I'm sure. But if that is a sign of how he acts the rest of the time at work, maybe as you say it was used as a reason to do what they'd wanted to do for a while.
Nope , think not - simply that position untenable for the PR director of a Welsh firm.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 03:46 PM   #27
Witney
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model-Y LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
As a PR consultant he has caused bad PR for his firm so there is justification in it being a competence issue.
Agree - can't expect there not to be a Welsh response. He does seem to have an interesting sense of humour! See his website:

https://www.keithhann.com

I don't like the hunt that now goes on to get people sacked as there are real life consequences for family etc which people forget. It just seems so strange for a PR person to get it so wrong!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 03:47 PM   #28
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witney View Post
Nope , think not - simply that position untenable for the PR director of a Welsh firm.
That’s just my view, don’t need you to agree. I think it was more regular than a one off, and that’s why they brought up a number of his older posts as well to show he has a pattern of behaving this way.

If people are good at their jobs and valued, companies usually ride it out, not like it would have been news for long. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 04:37 PM   #29
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Yeah like a doctor never made a mistake or anyone else for that matter...this cancel culture is dreadful and reminds me of a previous late unpleasantness anyone we we disagree with or take offence to has to have the chop...

Wasn't the Welsh health Minister caught F "ing" and blinding on Zoom the other week? Why has he still got his job?
      02-18-2021, 05:03 PM   #30
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [9.25]
IX  [8.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:
Yeah like a doctor never made a mistake or anyone else for that matter...this cancel culture is dreadful and reminds me of a previous late unpleasantness anyone we we disagree with or take offence to has to have the chop...

Wasn't the Welsh health Minister caught F "ing" and blinding on Zoom the other week? Why has he still got his job?
there are 2 strands to this
1. cancel cultures dominant march and difficulty in differentiating between humour and intentional offence/hate and what is hate/humour is up to interpretation. Eg make a joke about the woke media's pet and you get fired make a joke about whoever woke media hates and you get promoted/applauded.

2. His job as a pr chief and how this storm could be seen as a competence issue as its essentially well a pr issue but I wasn't advocating for him to be sacked.

In my line of work good judgement from experience and experience comes from bad judgement so you are right!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 04:15 AM   #31
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

No one knows whether this is an over the top reaction, or whether his longer term actions added to it. It’s all speculation by any of us.

It could be a bad case of cancel culture, or it could be perfectly justified, and it’s highly likely that we’ll never know which.
Appreciate 0