F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
GetBMWParts

05-05-2021, 02:42 PM   #7635
mako2388
Rep
Drives: X3 f25 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAF12 View Post
Bluetooth > Android Auto
How to turn on Auto developer mode on Android....

To enable it, open the Android Auto app on your phone and choose About from the left menu. Tap the About Android Auto header text about 10 times and you'll see a prompt to enable developer options. Accept it, then hit the three-dot Menu button and choose Developer settings.

Important!!!!!
Choose in dev settings: Wireless projection

I did it on an older model Oneplus 6. AA Wireless works good and have fast connection when enter the car. First heard is a sound of BT and then a second sound for Wifi. Btw. 2.4GHz doesn't work, always use a 5GHz channel. But that's a one time job.
My car has start/stop and detect the fob inside the car. No need to put it in a hole like the older BMW's, before I start the car Android Auto is up and running navigation automatic start up. Only I do is presh iDrive or steering wheel speech button and said: drive to Red light district Amsterdam <grin> Answer from Google Assistent girl: Ok DeWallen, let's go
Success!
I should have been more clear. I never got it to work reliably. I could get it running initially but then on reconnects and such it wouldn't connect. To be fair I never tried after getting updated to Android 11. And there were plenty of Android Auto updates since my last try.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 03:40 PM   #7636
Rallu9
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 420D Convertable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrook02 View Post
Audio settings at max in MMI might lead to audio quality issues. Those settings are meant for adjusting relative volume across music, navigation, etc. Have you tried to increase the AUX volume in iDrive?
Where do you find that setting in IDrive ?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 04:15 PM   #7637
stupar
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Quote:
Thanks for the sticker photo.

So we have Roadtop, Smart link kit (?) and Carkinkit as a brandname. I agree from software visible software version you'll need the last one. Let us know when flashing the box succeeded.
Thank you for helping me mate. I have managed to succesfully update mmi box with v2.0.B0.mod custom software without flashing MCU. I used old USB 1GB stick (fat32 formated) and it works like a charm. However, after flashing software I got message "Update completed. Rebooting..." and I thought it should automatically reboot. After it was stuck on that message for 10mins (out of fear I dont brick it, I left it that way for a while), I have manually rebooted it with holding BACK button, and it worked superb.

I have only one question, since I didnt had this option before. What does "Reverse Camera Alternative on|off" do exactly since I am running aftermarket camera?

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 04:22 PM   #7638
stupar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallu9 View Post
Where do you find that setting in IDrive ?
Press AUDIO button or MEDIA button two times, I am not sure which iDrive controller do you have.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 04:43 PM   #7639
Ashhong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
They are all the same inside the box.
Luxury BMW's have two tweeter loudspeakers on ear level left and right that improves the quality of sound. And real music lovers can hear difference between mp3 and lossless recorded music.
I hear no difference between AUX audio from MMI box or OEM BMW FMradio, CD or Bluetooth streaming audio. I think best audio in the car is with a good headphone!
Definitely not going to wear headphones in the car lol. I read early reviews saying poor audio quality so I was a bit worried. Time to order mine now!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 04:50 PM   #7640
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by guafra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
B2_V1.2.5 on the first page of this thread is the latest update for your unit.
Quote:
Yes, the new update is compatible with your unit. And yes, it's probabaly best to flash each of these updates in order:
Hi, the updates went well.
I'm only sorry for the BMW APP big album cover, I use AA, is there other more refined firmware compatible with andream B2?
I read about firmware with album cover enlargement
Thank you
I even made a custom boot screen. Anyway, I've sent you a pm.
Attached Images

Last edited by muniz_ri; 05-05-2021 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 05:31 PM   #7641
toddel68
Rep
Drives: Mercedes AMG GT S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako2388 View Post
Often Waze will just show a blank map. It will even give directions if I ask for it, but the map is blank. If I go into my recent apps on my phone and clear out Waze, it restarts on CarPlay and then it's fine. Spotify has something similar where the extra options, like shuffle and "heart" just won't appear. All other functionality is fine. Again clearing out the app from recent and it will restart and be good to go.
*EDIT for Waze setting the permissions to always allow location access seems to help (as mentioned by Thewrench86 (THX!!))
I can tell you that this also happened with OEM CarPlay equipped Mini Cooper S F57 so it seems that it has nothing to do with the Andream box.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 05:52 PM   #7642
Ashhong
Private First Class
Rep

Couple more questions actually..

Does anybody wish they had a touch screen with their CarPlay? Or do you think the iDrive is fine?

I always found the OEM bluetooth/microphone to be pretty crap. Anybody actually prefer the included mics? Or is the phone quality any better with the MMI+OEM Mic?

And there are so many different options on Amazon (and aliexpress) but they all look the same. Is there anything different between these?

https://www.amazon.com/Carlinkit-Car...0254542&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Carlinkit-Wir...0196314&sr=8-8

https://www.amazon.com/Carlinkit-Wir...14&sr=8-5&th=1

Last edited by Ashhong; 05-05-2021 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 06:58 PM   #7643
stupar
Rep

Quote:
What are the requirements for custom photo "Logo Image Update" (that is logo on booting when going from idrive to mmi, on startup right?). I found in Indiwork's manual online that it is suppossed to be bitmap image with file name "no logo.bmp" in resulution 800x480. Anything else like bit depth for example or dithering level or similiar?

Last edited by stupar; 05-05-2021 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 07:54 PM   #7644
Pelonss
Rep
Drives: Bmw F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashhong View Post

Does anybody wish they had a touch screen with their CarPlay? Or do you think the iDrive is fine?

I always found the OEM bluetooth/microphone to be pretty crap. Anybody actually prefer the included mics? Or is the phone quality any better with the MMI+OEM Mic?

And there are so many different options on Amazon (and aliexpress) but they all look the same. Is there anything different between these?

https://www.amazon.com/Carlinkit-Car...0254542&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Carlinkit-Wir...0196314&sr=8-8

https://www.amazon.com/Carlinkit-Wir...14&sr=8-5&th=1
The difference is where the boxes are being held only the last one is at an actual Amazon warehouse hence the fast shipping and prime logo.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 10:05 PM   #7645
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupar View Post
Quote:
What are the requirements for custom photo "Logo Image Update" (that is logo on booting when going from idrive to mmi, on startup right?). I found in Indiwork's manual online that it is suppossed to be bitmap image with file name "no logo.bmp" in resulution 800x480. Anything else like bit depth for example or dithering level or similiar?
It may also require the image to be in rgba mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 11:42 PM   #7646
Ashhong
Private First Class
Rep

Is Kremersino a good brand? I don't see it listed in the OP or updates and want to make sure they would be compatible. They mention a DSP audio chip for better sound, dont know if that would actually make a difference or not.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001...12b89daejLDqtR
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 02:58 AM   #7647
RaZVaN_17
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 LCI Z4 28i

Nice thread you guys have here. Very useful. 🍻
I have a couple of questions for the CIC MMI from carsara.

1. I seem to have different volumes for YouTube Music and other audio apps (Waze, Google Assistant). I think it's down to volume normalisation. How do you fix this issue?

2. My steering wheel next/previous controls behavior are reversed to the OEM behavior. Is there a fix for this? It is very confusing.

3. Can you show the front camera image and the OEM parking sensors image at the same time?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 08:40 AM   #7648
sbrook02
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 (F15)

Quote:
Is Kremersino a good brand? I don't see it listed in the OP or updates and want to make sure they would be compatible. They mention a DSP audio chip for better sound, dont know if that would actually make a difference or not.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001...12b89daejLDqtR
This seems to be a different box with slight modifications on the hardware: There is no 6-pin video connector on the box. Video connection is integrated into an LVDS IN/OUT harness cable (two video connectors coming out of the harness going to the mmi box: one connects to OEM HU video cable and the other goes to the screen).

All boxes use AUX front to connect to iDrive and have an EQ so not sure if there is a difference in sound quality.

Last edited by sbrook02; 05-06-2021 at 09:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 11:07 AM   #7649
RAAF12
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 320i

Quote:
Thank you for helping me mate. I have managed to succesfully update mmi box with v2.0.B0.mod custom software without flashing MCU. I used old USB 1GB stick (fat32 formated) and it works like a charm. However, after flashing software I got message "Update completed. Rebooting..." and I thought it should automatically reboot. After it was stuck on that message for 10mins (out of fear I dont brick it, I left it that way for a while), I have manually rebooted it with holding BACK button, and it worked superb.

I have only one question, since I didnt had this option before. What does "Reverse Camera Alternative on|off" do exactly since I am running aftermarket camera?

I really don't know,software I use from Andream hasn't that option. I have a front and rear aftermarket cams working. But it's a menu thing it's not depending what a user has. Zero, one or two cams, doesn't matter. Nice you flashed the box well. Next time you can follow the proces by hitting the iDrive button. At the end there's a message 'burn success'

BTW. As your car has ultrasone PDC you can set it to ON in the MMI menu. Camview and PDC warning picture are both in the same screen. I check my cams for collission it's 6cm distance from the red line in the cam picture. That must be enough...

Last edited by RAAF12; 05-06-2021 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 12:13 PM   #7650
Rallu9
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 420D Convertable

Quote:
Press AUDIO button or MEDIA button two times, I am not sure which iDrive controller do you have.

You Are a life saver!!! Thx so much
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 12:16 PM   #7651
RAAF12
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelonss View Post
The difference is where the boxes are being held only the last one is at an actual Amazon warehouse hence the fast shipping and prime logo.
Terrible price too :-) Aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/store/gro...4fc6e808m4ePpk

$244
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 12:50 PM   #7652
RAAF12
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:

Touch is more dangerous to drive. You only need iDrive/button on steering wheel and off course your voice. AA and Carplay are made for speech. Siri/Google Assistant does everything for you, choice music, the place you want to Drive ect.

I know new Beemers has a hi-quality touchscreen. But for now this Andream units are better than a glossy, cheap touchscreen with build in Android version.
And the Andream MMI system has dual boot, always possible go back to original BMW screen and Navigation!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 12:57 PM   #7653
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Per Bimmertech:

"In some cases, even though the Reverse Camera has been set to Aftermarket and the Manual
Gearbox has been set to no the reverse camera will still not fire up correctly. In such a case, it may be
necessary to toggle the Reverse Camera Alternative setting to on."

"
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 12:57 PM   #7654
Pelonss
Rep
Drives: Bmw F30

Need your help guys. Been outta the loop for a while. I have an Andream version 1 with custom firmware, it's great and no complains. I'm in the market for another one now and i want to buy it with ease so I'm gonna buy one on Amazon. Question, what's the best one? The carlinkit or the Roadtop version?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 05:30 PM   #7655
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelonss View Post
Need your help guys. Been outta the loop for a while. I have an Andream version 1 with custom firmware, it's great and no complains. I'm in the market for another one now and i want to buy it with ease so I'm gonna buy one on Amazon. Question, what's the best one? The carlinkit or the Roadtop version?
The Carlinkit version will allow you to flash the custom firmware but the RoadTop version will not. Besides that the native firmware and features will be much the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 06:59 PM   #7656
Ashhong
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The Carlinkit version will allow you to flash the custom firmware but the RoadTop version will not. Besides that the native firmware and features will be much the same.
Fuu I finally pulled the trigger and got the RoadTop. I didn't realize it can't do the custom firmware! That's it, I'm just getting the Andream from Ali.

But from what I'm seeing, the "B" version Andream is not compatible either? So if I order and receive a B version, am I out of luck on the future custom firmwares?

I do see the A sku listed on this Andream listing..I'll have to buy it here and hope that it actually comes with version A.

https://www.android-car-dvd.com/coll...32066140471432

Last edited by Ashhong; 05-06-2021 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0