F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B48B20A (20i Variant only) Tuning Discussion
GetBMWParts

05-23-2021, 05:06 AM   #45
SRHosein
Private First Class
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M-sport

Hi all,

I am working on creating a tracker for blown b48s motors, appreciate if anyone care to add their details. See attached which will be updated and shared when I gather all information.
We can also capture all other B48s that are tuned and no issues so we can have a reference.

Purpose is to gather data to help the B48 community.
Please add your b48 vehicle details and return to me, I will compile and share.

You can also message me vehicle details and I will add:
• Name (this can be left confidential if you don’t want to share)
• Engine (e.g. 20i-20a/30i-30b),
• Modification
• Octane
• Boost
• Ambient temperatures
• Power (hp)
• Torque
• Motor Blown (yes/no)
• Comments – e.g. any details, tuned all good, issues with tune, pushing limits, poor fuel, high IATs, or any reasons you think the motor blown.

You can email me at shane_hosein@hotmail.com

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,
Shane
Attached Files
File Type: zip BMW B48 Blown Motor Tracker - blank.zip (8.0 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by SRHosein; 05-23-2021 at 05:17 AM..
Appreciate 1
mike_o24.00
      05-23-2021, 06:28 AM   #46
tpoddar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i B48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRHosein View Post
Hi all,

I am working on creating a tracker for blown b48s motors, appreciate if anyone care to add their details. See attached which will be updated and shared when I gather all information.
We can also capture all other B48s that are tuned and no issues so we can have a reference.

I think a great resource to collect info with this engine is the North American motoring forums. The F56 Cooper S shares the same pistons and piston issues have been reported when pushing really high torque. The AFRs, timing and boost on that engine is way different from what I could see is being followed on the BMW side of things. Cooper S seem to run quite rich when WOT, less boost but higher timing. If an expert tuner could give an opinion on this it would be great.
Appreciate 1
SRHosein194.00
      05-24-2021, 02:34 AM   #47
Luverse
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRHosein View Post
Hi all,

You can also message me vehicle details and I will add:
• Name (this can be left confidential if you don’t want to share)
• Engine (e.g. 20i-20a/30i-30b),
• Modification
• Octane
• Boost
• Ambient temperatures
• Power (hp)
• Torque
• Motor Blown (yes/no)
• Comments – e.g. any details, tuned all good, issues with tune, pushing limits, poor fuel, high IATs, or any reasons you think the motor blown.

You can email me at shane_hosein@hotmail.com

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,
Shane
Done, just sent mine.
Kindly share the latest update on the data compile.
      05-29-2021, 11:32 PM   #48
tpoddar
Private First Class
Rep

Here's the link to the latest data compile by SRHosein -
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YJ-...lFZ8r8ji6/view

I do not see any correlation between the engines that have blown up. There's one incident reported on stage 1 but others have occurred when running stage 2 or 25+ psi.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 04:39 AM   #49
SRHosein
Private First Class
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

There are a couple other guys who I know blew engines but did not provide data as yet. Majority in Egypt and they have poor fuel and high temperatures. I also heard of a few stock motors with failure but was told due too wrong oil or poor maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpoddar View Post

I do not see any correlation between the engines that have blown up. There's one incident reported on stage 1 but others have occurred when running stage 2 or 25+ psi.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 08:33 PM   #50
Luverse
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:

most of the report been running 25+ psi, and on 330e and in country with poor fuel quality i assume.
      05-31-2021, 04:21 AM   #51
tpoddar
Private First Class
Rep

A bit off topic but do tunes with similar timing and boost, make similar power?
I borrowed this log from Freddie_Rome post (MgFlasher) - https://logs.mgflasher.com/log/9fca5...1-c57f743f8d84

and this is my log (bootmod3) - https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6065...0b436ec0cd2eec

Bootmod3 has higher boost and timing overall but the torque and power shown in the Mgflasher tune is much higher, are these ECU figures inaccurate or does MgFlasher produce more power due to some other reason?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 12:38 PM   #52
Freddie_Rome
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw F20 120i

Quote:
A bit off topic but do tunes with similar timing and boost, make similar power?
I borrowed this log from Freddie_Rome post (MgFlasher) - https://logs.mgflasher.com/log/9fca5...1-c57f743f8d84

and this is my log (bootmod3) - https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6065...0b436ec0cd2eec

Bootmod3 has higher boost and timing overall but the torque and power shown in the Mgflasher tune is much higher, are these ECU figures inaccurate or does MgFlasher produce more power due to some other reason?
I don't know. Remember, my calibration is a custom tune, so no OTS. I think also depends on the car configuration. My F20 got a complete Bastuck catback exhaust, downpipe 200 cpsi, Afe Power dry air filter, FTP alumium combo (cp and air inlet), Quaife lsd, xHp stage 3. So the power output could be different.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 08:29 PM   #53
tpoddar
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie_Rome View Post
I don't know. Remember, my calibration is a custom tune, so no OTS. I think also depends on the car configuration. My F20 got a complete Bastuck catback exhaust, downpipe 200 cpsi, Afe Power dry air filter, FTP alumium combo (cp and air inlet), Quaife lsd, xHp stage 3. So the power output could be different.
Except for xhp stage 3, none of the other mods would affect the ECU readings of your car. The downpipe allows your car to push even higher boost and timing by going stage 2 but my stage 1 tune has equal boost and timing to yours. An expert tuner may be able to chime in on this.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 10:33 AM   #54
Freddie_Rome
Private
Rep

Quote:
Except for xhp stage 3, none of the other mods would affect the ECU readings of your car. The downpipe allows your car to push even higher boost and timing by going stage 2 but my stage 1 tune has equal boost and timing to yours. An expert tuner may be able to chime in on this.
Ok, but the hardware could affect final power (like a complete exhaust and sport air filter)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 03:52 AM   #55
Freddie_Rome
Private
Rep

Hello,
today my mechanic, looking inside the downpipe, said my car runs lean.
In fact, he noticed the colour inside is very very light brown.
He said the optimal exhaust gas temperature, at 100% accel. pedal, should be 800-850 C° max.
Looking at my logs EGT, at high rpm, is like 1000 C°
Suggestions?
https://logs.mgflasher.com/log/9fca5...1-c57f743f8d84
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 06:40 AM   #56
tpoddar
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hello,
today my mechanic, looking inside the downpipe, said my car runs lean.
In fact, he noticed the colour inside is very very light brown.
He said the optimal exhaust gas temperature, at 100% accel. pedal, should be 800-850 C° max.
Looking at my logs EGT, at high rpm, is like 1000 C°
Suggestions?
https://logs.mgflasher.com/log/9fca5...1-c57f743f8d84
Your best bet would be to contact Mgflasher and seek comment on this topic. AFAIK, EGTs are much higher when running a stage 2 tune so they would know what's best. B48 runs at 14.7 AFRs stock so running rich/lean AFRs may not be a universal constant across all engines.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 07:30 AM   #57
Freddie_Rome
Private
Rep

Quote:
Your best bet would be to contact Mgflasher and seek comment on this topic. AFAIK, EGTs are much higher when running a stage 2 tune so they would know what's best. B48 runs at 14.7 AFRs stock so running rich/lean AFRs may not be a universal constant across all engines.
Unfortunately Mg Flasher support isn't very efficient these last times. More than 2 weeks without a response on my datalogs. I'm thinking to give them a BAD feedback on the internet/play store in order to get attention.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 10:05 AM   #58
tpoddar
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately Mg Flasher support isn't very efficient these last times. More than 2 weeks without a response on my datalogs. I'm thinking to give them a BAD feedback on the internet/play store in order to get attention.
Have you tried running bm3 on your car? I am currently a bm3 customer and their support is top notch. I don't know if the performance of the bm3 tune is faster than mgflasher but it should be nearly the same tbh.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 12:07 PM   #59
Freddie_Rome
Private
Rep

Quote:
Have you tried running bm3 on your car? I am currently a bm3 customer and their support is top notch. I don't know if the performance of the bm3 tune is faster than mgflasher but it should be nearly the same tbh.
I don't want to buy another license.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 12:55 PM   #60
tpoddar
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I don't want to buy another license.
Are you running a custom mgflasher map or an OTS one? I doubt that OTS maps will have an issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 03:19 PM   #61
Freddie_Rome
Private
Rep

Quote:
Are you running a custom mgflasher map or an OTS one? I doubt that OTS maps will have an issue.
Custom map. Do you think PTF could sell me a custom map?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 09:41 PM   #62
tpoddar
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Custom map. Do you think PTF could sell me a custom map?
PTF doesn't make custom maps. The bootmod3 platform allows tuners to sell their custom maps for users. I'm currently on bm3 OTS and it works absolutely fine, if you do need to go custom then you have plenty of choices like CaryJordan and Navardi Tuned.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 06:46 AM   #63
SRHosein
Private First Class
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
PTF doesn't make custom maps. The bootmod3 platform allows tuners to sell their custom maps for users. I'm currently on bm3 OTS and it works absolutely fine, if you do need to go custom then you have plenty of choices like CaryJordan and Navardi Tuned.
For custom tune F80Paul, Navardi Tuned and HCP are the best I have worked with via BM3 platform. There are many negative reviews about other tuners, so be careful who you tune with and recommend as well. I personally had a very negative experience with another tuner (I will not call name) who is very famous but made less than OTS. The car did not drive right, over boosting to 33psi, numerous throttle closures to protect my engine and over 50 revision with no resolutions to numerous faults. The car was going in limp mode and could only run hard with traction control off. A total failure in my books and I requested a refund which I did not get. Paid for two maps and got a refund for the second one as we did not start it. The 1st map the tuner claimed he will fix but he never did. I eventually gave up. I am also very shocked by the amount of people using this same tuner and claiming to have good results. I have also reviewed logs from other users of this custom tuner and same issues. Most people don't review logs and feel all is good.
Appreciate 2
      06-15-2021, 12:08 PM   #64
Freddie_Rome
Private
Rep

I wanted to ask you a question: do you think FTP combo (aluminium charge pipe and air intake pipe) plus a sporty air filter can contribute all together to lean the carburation?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 02:12 PM   #65
tpoddar
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I wanted to ask you a question: do you think FTP combo (aluminium charge pipe and air intake pipe) plus a sporty air filter can contribute all together to lean the carburation?
FTP combo will not affect your AFRs in any way. A performance air filter will improve airflow but will not/should not cause lean combustion.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2021, 04:49 PM   #66
Freddie_Rome
Private
Rep

Finally Mg Flasher support gave me another custom map, based on the previous calibration, but this new one is less conservative and increases a bit the performance. I'll do some new datalogs soon!
Appreciate 0