F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 3G Discontinuation Notice
proTUNING Freaks

06-16-2021, 03:58 PM   #199
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
and you have Connected services now and want to retain it
I had Remote Services until the day of the upgrade and it was supposed to last until 08/31/2025. After the update, I have lost it and I was told that with the upgraded ComBox, the only way I can get Remote Services is if I paid for it again annually. So, I basically lost the service I had and they now want me to pay to get it back again.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 04:03 PM   #200
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
If you’re not aftermarket OBD tuned now (or don’t plan to in future) and you haven’t modified your car electronically (hardware), and you don’t mind redoing any light parameter-coding you might have done (or possibly losing a currently code-able feature), and you have Connected services now and want to retain it as long as possible - take the upgrade offer.

I’m taking my car in tomorrow for a dry-run of the 4G telematics upgrade. I’m friends with the shop foreman - he knows I’m MHD tuned, and we’re gonna hook ISTA up as if doing the upgrade (for my car, it’ll be both a HW change on the headliner/rooftop antenna plus software) - and see what ISTA calculates as the programming plan. I was advised to reflash back to stock tune prior, since I was told if ISTA sees the aftermarket software on the DME it’s more likely it will try to include it in the plan. I can choose after the dry-run to perform the upgrade for real or not…

As my car is F-series N55 (and not an X5) I was previously informed that BMW wasn’t locking these older DMEs with recent updates. (Like B58s are being locked by recent I-steps). This dry-run is to see if that’s still true or if the latest BMW update is now locking these too. I know I’ll always have bench-unlock capability, due to my DME HW, as fallback. So we’ll see…
I just renewed my connected drive services for another year. I have the basic bundle, Remote services, BMW Assist/eCall/BMW Teleservice and BMW online. I'm new to BMW and have only had my vehicle maybe 2 years. So a lot of stuff I'm not familiar with. If I don't get the upgrade though none of this will work after February 2022 correct? What about navigation and hands free phone, heads up display?

If it's a free upgrade I just figured why not. Everything is factory settings on my car and I haven't changed any coding. Appointment is Saturday, I'm just trying to make my best informed decision.
      06-16-2021, 05:57 PM   #201
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsXman View Post
If I don't get the upgrade though none of this will work after February 2022 correct? What about navigation and hands free phone, heads up display?
From my understanding, it's any voice-related Connected Drive services, which in the affected cars still uses a 3G modem. Connected Drive data-services, which is already using 4G in the eligible cars is, AFAIK, unaffected. Earlier in this thread I believe someone clarified it more than that... (Concierge? BMW Assist?, Voice Nav?...?)

Your HUD will be fine. Not sure whether Map updates or RTTI are affected (maybe only any voice-related parts?). Handsfree is within-the-car (no?), so not likely affected as it's using your phone for the call..

I'll try to learn more myself tomorrow, when I can talk to the techs about the upgrade more at my dry-run test.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 06:11 PM   #202
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambalu80 View Post
I had Remote Services until the day of the upgrade and it was supposed to last until 08/31/2025. After the update, I have lost it and I was told that with the upgraded ComBox, the only way I can get Remote Services is if I paid for it again annually. So, I basically lost the service I had and they now want me to pay to get it back again.
Sorry to hear about that. I believe your Remote Services contract-length troubles are partly due to your ComBox replacement, not the basic 4G Connected Drive update. Or some technicality/flaw related to trying to switch your current services to it.

I've been on annual renewal now with my Connected Drive services since 12/2019. This upgrade will let me continue past 2/2022.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 06:49 PM   #203
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsXman View Post
If I don't get the upgrade though none of this will work after February 2022 correct? What about navigation and hands free phone, heads up display?
From my understanding, it's any voice-related Connected Drive services, which in the affected cars still uses a 3G modem. Connected Drive data-services, which is already using 4G in the eligible cars is, AFAIK, unaffected. Earlier in this thread I believe someone clarified it more than that... (Concierge? BMW Assist?, Voice Nav?...?)

Your HUD will be fine. Not sure whether Map updates or RTTI are affected (maybe only any voice-related parts?). Handsfree is within-the-car (no?), so not likely affected as it's using your phone for the call..

I'll try to learn more myself tomorrow, when I can talk to the techs about the upgrade more at my dry-run test.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Like I said I'm relatively new to BMW ownership, so there's a lot I don't know about connected drive. I just know I just renewed my connected drive bundle subscription and it doesn't expire till 6/2022. So I don't want it expiring February 2022 if I don't update.

I also don't want to drive a vehicle that has obsolete hardware in it that no longer does what it could/should because I didn't take advantage of the free upgrade.

Yes please keep me informed after your visit, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.
      06-16-2021, 10:10 PM   #204
RalF-BMW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M sport

Quote:
If you’re not aftermarket OBD tuned now (or don’t plan to in future) and you haven’t modified your car electronically (hardware), and you don’t mind redoing any light parameter-coding you might have done (or possibly losing a currently code-able feature), and you have Connected services now and want to retain it as long as possible - take the upgrade offer.

I’m taking my car in tomorrow for a dry-run of the 4G telematics upgrade. I’m friends with the shop foreman - he knows I’m MHD tuned, and we’re gonna hook ISTA up as if doing the upgrade (for my car, it’ll be both a HW change on the headliner/rooftop antenna plus software) - and see what ISTA calculates as the programming plan. I was advised to reflash back to stock tune prior, since I was told if ISTA sees the aftermarket software on the DME it’s more likely it will try to include it in the plan. I can choose after the dry-run to perform the upgrade for real or not…

As my car is F-series N55 (and not an X5) I was previously informed that BMW wasn’t locking these older DMEs with recent updates. (Like B58s are being locked by recent I-steps). This dry-run is to see if that’s still true or if the latest BMW update is now locking these too. I know I’ll always have bench-unlock capability, due to my DME HW, as fallback. So we’ll see…
Can you ask you friend from the dealer if its possible on the dealer's system to reassingn an existing ATM to another car's VIN or if with the purchase of a new telematics module its automatically assigned to the buyer's car VIN?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 07:30 AM   #205
gnolivos
Captain
Rep
Drives: Various BMW

I'm unclear now. Will I just lose the "on star" (lol) capability that calls a human in case of accident ?

I only am interested in keeping the ability to display weather in my screen which I pay for today through connected services.

My car seems to have 4G if that helps. But i am told I am eligible for a free upgrade.
      06-17-2021, 09:38 AM   #206
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
I'm unclear now. Will I just lose the "on star" (lol) capability that calls a human in case of accident ?

I only am interested in keeping the ability to display weather in my screen which I pay for today through connected services.

My car seems to have 4G if that helps. But i am told I am eligible for a free upgrade.
Yes, all the cars eligible already have 4G for Data, but use 3G for some Connected Drive voice services. Trying to identify what will & won’t work post 2/22 in our cars without the upgrade (and with).

Pretty sure your Weather app would continue to function (BMW apps use the 4G data connection).
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 09:53 AM   #207
gnolivos
Captain
Rep
Drives: Various BMW

The problem I see is that apparently if you don't get the upgraded module/service then bmw will not renew your services or even allow you to renew. If that's true then even if the current hardware is capable of receiving partial service (weather apps etc) there wouldn't be a way to obtain it.

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, all the cars eligible already have 4G for Data, but use 3G for some Connected Drive voice services. Trying to identify what will & won't work post 2/22 in our cars without the upgrade (and with).

Pretty sure your Weather app would continue to function (BMW apps use the 4G data connection).

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, all the cars eligible already have 4G for Data, but use 3G for some Connected Drive voice services. Trying to identify what will & won't work post 2/22 in our cars without the upgrade (and with).

06-17-2021, 12:09 PM   #208
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The problem I see is that apparently if you don't get the upgraded module/service then bmw will not renew your services or even allow you to renew. If that's true then even if the current hardware is capable of receiving partial service (weather apps etc) there wouldn't be a way to obtain it.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

That is a very good point. If without the upgrade they're saying you can't renew your connected drive subscription, then you won't be able to use weather or other apps that use 4G.
      06-17-2021, 12:12 PM   #209
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, all the cars eligible already have 4G for Data, but use 3G for some Connected Drive voice services. Trying to identify what will & won’t work post 2/22 in our cars without the upgrade (and with).

Thanks for this post. I wasn't aware that all BMW's eligible for upgrade use 4G for data and 3G for most connected drive services. That's the part I was understanding, so thanks!
      06-17-2021, 10:27 PM   #210
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep

So, after my ISTA trial-run today, here’s the scoop.

tl;dr — I can confirm it IS possible, for some cars, to get the 3G Upgrade and not have your DME ‘locked’.

My car is an F-series N55, 2016 435iX GC, NBT EVO/iDrive 4, with MEVD172G DME. This DME has the bootmode flaw that will always enable a bench unlock (cuz hardware).

Mine is one of the earlier cars among the eligible batch, so the upgrade for me involves both a HW swap + SW update. (later cars in the batch only need a SW Update).

We ran a test to see what the free offered 3G Upgrade will do to my DME, since it will also get updated as part of the ISTA step SW bundle calculated to accomplish the Telematics upgrade. Will the ISTA update ‘lock’ the DME from supporting OBD Flashing or not?

I’ve been running MHD. I flashed back to stock tune prior to bringing it in to hook it up for the test.

—-

Upon hooking it up, before even calculating the plan, ISTA flagged my DME as ‘likely’ being tuned. Info says the latest ISTA has a new diagnostic module specifically added to ‘intelligently assess’ this. Good to know.

In my case, while I now had the OEM tune installed, my flash counter didn’t match what ISTA records said it should be. We proceeded anyway - accepting that the ‘flag’ might increase the likelihood to calculate a DME update into the plan.

—-

The ISTA programming measures plan was calculated to take me to step: F020-21-03-545. My first reaction was that’s March 2021, ‘that ain’t good’… but I was happy and grateful for the test info.

After I got home I quickly contacted my tuning company expert (super customer service). They were able to review the technical unit level software changes included in the proposed DME update. The prognosis? I’ll be fine - like, say what? Your particular DME won’t be locked from flash tuning by this ISTA step. At the technical level, because my BTLD technical SW unit, once updated, would still be at revision 001.069.002.

—-

So, as you’d guess, I’m scheduling the free 3G Upgrade service ‘for real’ . Frankly, even if my DME was gonna be locked, since it’s readily bench unlockable, I was thinking I might have done it anyway… I like all my Connected services.

Hope this info’s helpful. I realize it doesn’t have much info of use to other types of cars in the eligible batch (like early LCI, B58 models). And it still doesn’t answer what becomes of the various Connected Drive services, post 2/22, if you don’t do the free upgrade. (like what’ll still work?)
Appreciate 3
      06-20-2021, 12:29 PM   #211
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
if you don’t do the free upgrade. (like what’ll still work?)
FWIW, I still haven’t found much more than this from the 3G FAQ:

“Some vehicles factory-equipped with 4G telematics devices will no longer have access to services that require a voice connection, such as BMW Assist eCall and Concierge Services, but will continue to receive certain ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist services such as Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information, Remote Services and BMW Online, depending on your BMW model.”

What’s not clear is what particular services or bundles will be renewable once current contracts expire..

But interestingly, look at this chart below, showing ConnectedDrive service offerings for pre-2018 cars. My hunches are that 1) all the eligible cars for the 3G Upgrade fall into the second-from-right column (the eligible batch, as these models have 4G modems but use 3G for voice CD services), AND 2) taking the Upgrade Offer will move the customer Telematics tech-wise into the right-most Column (June 2016+ build). Note the specific CD features that are only renewable for cars in that column…. It kinda matches up with the official 3G FAQ quote above too.

Neither my shop technical folks nor my SA could give me any additional info or answer particular service offering questions. They admitted the BMW online/connected services biz is pretty separated from the mainstream parts/services side. We might have to wait until 2/22 to see what services BMW Connected will actually offer for renewal to non-upgraded cars.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 04:33 PM   #212
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
if you don’t do the free upgrade. (like what’ll still work?)
FWIW, I still haven’t found much more than this from the 3G FAQ:

“Some vehicles factory-equipped with 4G telematics devices will no longer have access to services that require a voice connection, such as BMW Assist eCall and Concierge Services, but will continue to receive certain ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist services such as Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information, Remote Services and BMW Online, depending on your BMW model.”

What’s not clear is what particular services or bundles will be renewable once current contracts expire..

But interestingly, look at this chart below, showing ConnectedDrive service offerings for pre-2018 cars. My hunches are that 1) all the eligible cars for the 3G Upgrade fall into the second-from-right column (the eligible batch, as these models have 4G modems but use 3G for voice CD services), AND 2) taking the Upgrade Offer will move the customer Telematics tech-wise into the right-most Column (June 2016+ build). Note the specific CD features that are only renewable for cars in that column…. It kinda matches up with the official 3G FAQ quote above too.

Neither my shop technical folks nor my SA could give me any additional info or answer particular service offering questions. They admitted the BMW online/connected services biz is pretty separated from the mainstream parts/services side. We might have to wait until 2/22 to see what services BMW Connected will actually offer for renewal to non-upgraded cars.

I'm going to opt for getting the free upgrade. I like knowing I have the connected drive BMW services there if and when I need them. Also as a strictly trade in/trade up value wise I think it helps the overall value of the car.

I figure take the upgrade now while it's free instead of a year or two down the line when maybe it isn't? I've done zero modifications/coding with my 428i X-Drive Gran Coupe, so I'm not concerned about losing anything.

Thanks again for the info.
      06-20-2021, 06:22 PM   #213
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

I own both 2017 F36 and 2015 F15. 2015 F15 received a 3G discontinuation notice a few weeks ago.

If asked - BMW NA and local dealer will continue to state that 'technology upgrade does not exist".

While the solution does exist, it's not necessarily simple or inexpensive. NBT Evo head unit + ATM 4G module + wiring loom + installation by BMW wiring / coding expert will cost north of $2.5K USD.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 11:25 PM   #214
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, this part is clearly wrong — based on my inability to read the pixelated dates correctly on the chart. 5s vs 6s… Doh!

I’d NOW say:

But interestingly, look at this chart below, showing ConnectedDrive service offerings for pre-2018 cars. My hunches are that 1) the eligible cars for the 3G Upgrade all fall into the far right column, the earliest cars in this group, built probably within 18 months of the July 1 2015 build cutover date (these models have 4G modems but use 3G for voice CD services). AND 2) taking the Upgrade Offer will move those customers Telematics tech-wise into a common, consistent solution for all cars in this group.

Nothing here adds to the official 3G FAQ statement regarding which services might cease to be offered though, for the subset of earliest cars in this group that don’t do the upgrade (or can’t).
Appreciate 1
gnolivos319.00
      06-27-2021, 04:34 PM   #215
prateeko
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi 2014

Hello all. I just registered to join this thread as I'm moving (have been in a city where my poor 2014 335xi/F30 w/HUD and now expired real time traffic/etc have been idle for the last 6-7 months) and will be driving my car again on the regular. I was setting up the MyBMW app and then found out I can't renew traffic or connected drive services and have spent the last half hour trying to figure out what is what.

I apologize sincerely for the stupid question, but given that my car was manufactured in April of 2014 but my services (save remote unlock, ventilation, location, etc) are expired is there no way forward for me? I don't often use the real time services but love the HUD and Spotify has long since not worked through the car despite it being always listed (maybe my Connected drive subscription lapsed?).

I originally purchased the vehicle as a CPO in 2015 and am well out of warranty and happy to do retrofits myself (provided they are not too intensive) but obviously if there is a way to get the vehicle upgraded (fee or not) to 4G through BMW proper that would be the preferable route.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 07:03 PM   #216
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateeko View Post
Hello all. I just registered to join this thread as I'm moving (have been in a city where my poor 2014 335xi/F30 w/HUD and now expired real time traffic/etc have been idle for the last 6-7 months) and will be driving my car again on the regular. I was setting up the MyBMW app and then found out I can't renew traffic or connected drive services and have spent the last half hour trying to figure out what is what.

I apologize sincerely for the stupid question, but given that my car was manufactured in April of 2014 but my services (save remote unlock, ventilation, location, etc) are expired is there no way forward for me? I don't often use the real time services but love the HUD and Spotify has long since not worked through the car despite it being always listed (maybe my Connected drive subscription lapsed?).

I originally purchased the vehicle as a CPO in 2015 and am well out of warranty and happy to do retrofits myself (provided they are not too intensive) but obviously if there is a way to get the vehicle upgraded (fee or not) to 4G through BMW proper that would be the preferable route.
I don't think your car falls in the 'free upgrade' technology range by date. Even if it did, you needed to have an active Connected Drive subscription for the offer.

I believe BMW has cut-off renewals right now for cars even in the 'upgrade eligible' range, pending the upcoming cease of service support 2/2022 for 3G modems. Sorry, I don't know what's been offered in Connected Drive services for cars in your earlier technology range recently or going forward. From what I've read, if you're 3G-only there's no ready upgrade path to 4G.

Your HUD will be unaffected, it's not a Connected Drive driven feature.

I don't use Spotify, but there's other threads on that issue, but I don't know the cause or the solution, if any.

HTH
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 10:28 PM   #217
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I got my email today, and it says there's no upgrade available for my F34. I'm fine with that. I stopped paying for connected drive services two years ago, I don't want them messing up my coding, and whatever I need 4G for that's why I have a phone.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 01:27 AM   #218
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by prateeko View Post

I don't think your car falls in the 'free upgrade' technology range by date. Even if it did, you needed to have an active Connected Drive subscription for the offer.

I believe BMW has cut-off renewals right now for cars even in the 'upgrade eligible' range, pending the upcoming cease of service support 2/2022 for 3G modems. Sorry, I don't know what's been offered in Connected Drive services for cars in your earlier technology range recently or going forward. From what I've read, if you're 3G-only there's no ready upgrade path to 4G.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Just for clarification, only 2016+ model year (03/2015+ for the 2 Series) vehicles are capable and eligible for this free 4G LTE upgrade. Absolutely no already 3G telematics system (vehicle built date 06/2015 and below) is capable nor is eligible for this hardware revision.[/COLOR]

This offer not really an upgrade, per se, as both the older and newer telematics units run on the same 4G LTE connection.

It's just that AT&T Wireless, the one and only data carrier BMW utilizes for its US telemetry operations, is killing off the original circa 2007 LTE standard that relay solely on circuit switching for voice calls, which is commonly known as "VoIP" or Voice Over Internet Protocol.

After 02/2022, AT&T will then only support calls to be packet switched via a system called VoLTE; which is sending of voice data through cellular data such as 4G LTE. VoLTE will become AT&T's standardize system used for transferring voice calls by using the LTE connection.

Since the earlier BMW 4G LTE telematics radios uses the now retiring VoIP technology for emergency calls, BMW is now offering a revised telematics system which would now support VoLTE or LTE-A calls, thus, emergency calls would remain functional, even after the obsolete "VoIP" technology for voice communication is officially sunset by AT&T.

If one already has a 2016+ vehicle with a early 4G LTE (VoIP) radio and chooses not to take advantage of this VoLTE/LTE-A upgrade offer, most of the regular ConnectionDrive will still remain active as normal, with the exception of the emergency SOS calling, which would be the only feature no longer supported.

https://www.androidauthority.com/vol...obile-1148654/

https://www.xda-developers.com/t-mob...-shut-down-3g/
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2021, 12:24 PM   #219
RalF-BMW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Just for clarification, only 2016+ model year (03/2015+ for the 2 Series) vehicles are capable and eligible for this free 4G LTE upgrade. Absolutely no already 3G telematics system (vehicle built date 06/2015 and below) is capable nor is eligible for this hardware revision.
ket switched via a system called VoLTE; which is sending of voice data through cellular data such as 4G LTE. VoLTE will become AT&T's standardize system used for transferring voice calls by using the LTE connection.

Since the earlier BMW 4G LTE telematics radios uses the now retiring VoIP technology for emergency calls, BMW is now offering a revised telematics system which would now support VoLTE or LTE-A calls, thus, emergency calls would remain functional, even after the obsolete "VoIP" technology for voice communication is officially sunset by AT&T.

If one already has a 2016+ vehicle with a early 4G LTE (VoIP) radio and chooses not to take advantage of this VoLTE/LTE-A upgrade offer, most of the regular ConnectionDrive will still remain active as normal, with the exception of the emergency SOS calling, which would be the only feature no longer supported.

https://www.androidauthority.com/vol...obile-1148654/

https://www.xda-developers.com/t-mob...-shut-down-3g/

Do you know which ATM part numbers support the new voice call standard?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 06:12 PM   #220
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalF-BMW View Post
Do you know which ATM part numbers support the new voice call standard?
Well, to keep things simple, BMW discontinued all their obsolete "VoIP" telematic units around 2017, so any unit containing the old technology is blocked and no longer available for purchasing from BMW AG, so there is no chance of mixing them up or a dealer installing an older unit.

Any system that currently supersedes these older unit's part number is replaced by the newer revised system, upon any official warranty repairs or official replacement.

For good measure, you can verify that any telematics unit with a built after 07/2016 has the most current technology (LTE-A/VoLTE).

Also, any factory iDrive 6 and beyond guarantee to have a VoLTE compatible radio in the telematics unit.

Also, no worries about this 4G LTE-A system becoming obsolete anytime so since the LTE-A standard that this new system runs on today's 5G we currently use, thus, they both work on the same frequency, so by extension, for the long run, LTE-A is here to stay.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0