F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Advantages/Disadvantages between OEM ID6 and Android 10?
ARMA SPEED

05-02-2021, 03:11 PM   #1
MorbidAngel
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive -14

Smile Advantages/Disadvantages between OEM ID6 and Android 10?

Hello so I've been talking about upgrading to the Android 10 screen since I only have the HU_ENTRY right now and upgrading would cost me about $600.

However earlier today I saw an ad on Facebook by some company about ~1 hour from me that offers retrofitting.

I contacted them and they quoted me $1500 for an OEM retrofit that would give me the updated screen, the big one with touch. A new iDrive controller, also the one with touch and nav button etc.

The price aside, what are the main differences between these two upgrades? And which one would you personally pick? They also guarantee that any and all work they do on your car will not void any warranty on it.

At first I was really keen on the Android screen because it just seems amazing and offers all that I could want.

But now I'm starting to hesitate because with the OEM retrofit I also get a new iDrive knob with the touch, nav button etc and I don't have to rely on the Android system itself to work etc.

Looking for pretty much any opinions! And again don't keep the price in mind, because that's not an issue. Well I'm not swimming in money obviously but if the OEM retrofit is the way to go I'll just try to save up some money for a few months rather than buying the Android screen right now.

Thank you for your help!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 03:31 PM   #2
Wires
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Biggest question, is what are you trying to fix by going ID6?

I went Android since it as 1/3 the price, and I wanted wireless Android Auto. I believe ID6 gets you wireless Carplay, but not Android Auto.

OEM will be 10x more stable that the Android units, but with the Android units, it's Android so you can install all those apps (IE: Netflix, Plex, Google Home, Spotify, etc). I was willing to sacrifice AA crashing once in a while to get the other stuff though.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 03:56 PM   #3
MorbidAngel
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Biggest question, is what are you trying to fix by going ID6?

I went Android since it as 1/3 the price, and I wanted wireless Android Auto. I believe ID6 gets you wireless Carplay, but not Android Auto.

OEM will be 10x more stable that the Android units, but with the Android units, it's Android so you can install all those apps (IE: Netflix, Plex, Google Home, Spotify, etc). I was willing to sacrifice AA crashing once in a while to get the other stuff though.
Honestly I just want it because I don't know enough about the Android system and everywhere I read it says differently. I do want the wireless Android Auto for sure. But when it comes to the UI, is there something I won't be able to do that I would be able to do on ID6? Like read car information etc. Because I really like how nice the ID6 system is, you can view your mpg etc, change a lot of vehicle settings like with your lights (for example) and stuff that I can't with CiC.

Also Android requires you to have a SIM or use your phone as a hotspot right, does the OEM NBT Evo also require you to? Because my car currently has a built in SIM so I can access ConnectedDrive, but idk how all that works to be honest.

Because the best case scenario would be if I could run Spotify/Navigation without even having my phone with me in the car. However I don't know if that's possible even with the OEM NBT Evo.

But yeah, the main reason I'm upgrading besides aesthics is just Spotify and navigation. I want to be able to play Spotify through the screen and not stream it from my phone, while also having navigation running at the same time. If I can do that with the Android screen I might as well go with that one.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 04:13 PM   #4
Wires
Major General
Canada
Rep

Gotcha. I seen a thread on here that talks about coding in BMW Apps which would allow spotify on the OEM.

With the Android screen, when you hit the console buttons for media or radio, it takes you back into iDrive (full access to everything iDrive), and you it basically looks OEM, except for a larger screen. Put the car into reverse, and the backup camera automatically displays on the screen. Only "downfall" is your car has an older iDrive version (like mine), so it uses the analog Aux input for audio. It sounds fine, but you lose track information on the HUD (if you have one) since that isn't supported in Aux inputs. Your current ConnectedDrive will just be very neutered data just for their core functionalities. You would need to subscribe to more expensive data plan for the car to use spotify, etc.

The SIM in the Android is optional unless you want internet without your phone. If you are using Android Auto, then your phone deals with the internet aspect. You can also have it connect to your phone hotspot, and then use Google maps and Spotify right on the Android display (without Android Auto).

Yesterday I found a way to get Android Auto (wireless) plus supply the head unit with internet using an app called Head Unit Reloaded:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=3384

Typically, the catch 22 of Wireless Android Auto is once it connects to your phone, the Android display cannot access internet (only Android Auto can). The link above lets you do both.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 03:15 AM   #5
MorbidAngel
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Gotcha. I seen a thread on here that talks about coding in BMW Apps which would allow spotify on the OEM.

With the Android screen, when you hit the console buttons for media or radio, it takes you back into iDrive (full access to everything iDrive), and you it basically looks OEM, except for a larger screen. Put the car into reverse, and the backup camera automatically displays on the screen. Only "downfall" is your car has an older iDrive version (like mine), so it uses the analog Aux input for audio. It sounds fine, but you lose track information on the HUD (if you have one) since that isn't supported in Aux inputs. Your current ConnectedDrive will just be very neutered data just for their core functionalities. You would need to subscribe to more expensive data plan for the car to use spotify, etc.

The SIM in the Android is optional unless you want internet without your phone. If you are using Android Auto, then your phone deals with the internet aspect. You can also have it connect to your phone hotspot, and then use Google maps and Spotify right on the Android display (without Android Auto).

Yesterday I found a way to get Android Auto (wireless) plus supply the head unit with internet using an app called Head Unit Reloaded:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=3384

Typically, the catch 22 of Wireless Android Auto is once it connects to your phone, the Android display cannot access internet (only Android Auto can). The link above lets you do both.
Yeah it's a tough one.. I think they guy will do the Spotify coding for me on the OEM screen since I told him I wanted that and he just said it wasn't a problem. I do want the OEM iDrive UI to be ID6 which doesn't work with the android screen. However with the android screen it's pretty much plug and play as long as I have my phone etc, no reason to do anything else.

Seems like they both have very different usages. I'll see if he can offer me a good deal that I can't resist. Or else I'll go for the Android 10 screen
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 08:49 AM   #6
Wires
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidAngel View Post
Yeah it's a tough one.. I think they guy will do the Spotify coding for me on the OEM screen since I told him I wanted that and he just said it wasn't a problem. I do want the OEM iDrive UI to be ID6 which doesn't work with the android screen. However with the android screen it's pretty much plug and play as long as I have my phone etc, no reason to do anything else.

Seems like they both have very different usages. I'll see if he can offer me a good deal that I can't resist. Or else I'll go for the Android 10 screen
One other point I missed: The OEM isn't touchscreen with the Android display. As soon as you touch the screen, it reverts back to the Android side.

The iDrive controller works for both though. But, you are correct, both have their merits, and neither is a unicorn.

There was another thread where you can get your ID4 version coded to be ID6. Only issue is our ID4 units only have 2GB RAM (vs 4GB in the newer EVO's) which can lead to the unit crashing and rebooting when doing navigation (so I've heard).
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 12:33 PM   #7
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Android devices do not stream to HUD. So, no navigation tips and commands there.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 12:53 PM   #8
MorbidAngel
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolianovskyi View Post
Android devices do not stream to HUD. So, no navigation tips and commands there.
I don't have HUD nor navigation haha
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 04:40 AM   #9
zatelli
Private First Class
Morocco
Rep
Drives: 2013 RWD F30

You could keep both upgrades in mind, and do both at once (say if you want to upgrade to SLI (speed limit info) down the road, you'll want OEM navigation, so ID 6 would be required. You'll also want ID 6, if you want to upgrade to the latest hardware for your F30.
The price you were quoted, which is the going rate, is quite steep. I can point you to an ODM that can ship the full package to you for 1/3 of the quote price, coding included, but you'll have to install everything yourself, which is not complicated.
I do have an android 10 display, and after almost 1 year and a half of use, it's yet to crash on me: I didn't root it, if this makes a difference. The versatility gain is such that you'll probably spend most of your time on the android side.
You can have two apps running side by side, as long as they support split screen mode; all you have to do, is to drag both app, one after another, while they are running to both sides of the screen.
As for data, there are quite a few possibilities to get internet access on the android side: either you add a data sim card to the SIM card slot on the left handside of the device, data tethering through your phone or, plug in a dedicated mobile hotspot into one of the android's screen's USB ports.
All in all, which route you choose depends, primarily on what features matter the most to you, whether you want to retain OEM looks and functionality.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 10:32 AM   #10
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatelli View Post
You could keep both upgrades in mind, and do both at once (say if you want to upgrade to SLI (speed limit info) down the road, you'll want OEM navigation, so ID 6 would be required. You'll also want ID 6, if you want to upgrade to the latest hardware for your F30.
The price you were quoted, which is the going rate, is quite steep. I can point you to an ODM that can ship the full package to you for 1/3 of the quote price, coding included, but you'll have to install everything yourself, which is not complicated.
I do have an android 10 display, and after almost 1 year and a half of use, it's yet to crash on me: I didn't root it, if this makes a difference. The versatility gain is such that you'll probably spend most of your time on the android side.
You can have two apps running side by side, as long as they support split screen mode; all you have to do, is to drag both app, one after another, while they are running to both sides of the screen.
As for data, there are quite a few possibilities to get internet access on the android side: either you add a data sim card to the SIM card slot on the left handside of the device, data tethering through your phone or, plug in a dedicated mobile hotspot into one of the android's screen's USB ports.
All in all, which route you choose depends, primarily on what features matter the most to you, whether you want to retain OEM looks and functionality.
Do you mean nbt evo (hu and a screen) for $500?
If so, Android makes no sense.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 04:25 AM   #11
zatelli
Private First Class
Morocco
Rep
Drives: 2013 RWD F30

Quote:
Yes: headunit, display, iDrive knob controller and cables, and coding for 550€.
Android still could coexist with an ID6 retrofit for the sake of higher versatility (native android apps such as netflix, google maps, here maps, youtube; theming, etc).
Appreciate 2
      06-29-2021, 10:46 PM   #12
ragenitro6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i pre LCI

really?

Quote:
Android still could coexist with an ID6 retrofit for the sake of higher versatility (native android apps such as netflix, google maps, here maps, youtube; theming, etc).
I'd love more info about this - just may interest me since I can do the install
PM is fine
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 12:26 PM   #13
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Is it in Europe and can be shipped around the world? Any existing customers?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 07:13 AM   #14
Tony_B
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BWM 435d Xdrive

Quote:
I'd also like to investigate - I'm in the UK
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 11:00 PM   #15
nmccord30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i 07

Would you be able to send me the info also I would love to be able to buy this for that price here in the US it's crazy
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 08:26 PM   #16
ravid007
Rep
Drives: 320i Sport

If I'm using HU Android unit and listening to the car's original radio, is is possible to switch radio stations with the 1-8 buttons?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 10:12 AM   #17
Wires
Major General
Canada
Rep

Yes. When you are listening to the radio, you would be in the iDrive side, so everything should work the same as before. The console buttons can be assigned for iDrive or HU (nav, etc) depending on what you configure in the HU settings, but the 1-8 remains on iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 03:17 PM   #18
ravid007
Rep

Quote:
Yes. When you are listening to the radio, you would be in the iDrive side, so everything should work the same as before. The console buttons can be assigned for iDrive or HU (nav, etc) depending on what you configure in the HU settings, but the 1-8 remains on iDrive.
So, if for some reason it's not working. What could be the problem?
I'm listening to the car's radio and navigating with Waze, but the 1-8 buttons are not responding.
Only when I enter the iDrive screen they are responding.
Any suggestion?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 06:58 PM   #19
Wires
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravid007 View Post
So, if for some reason it's not working. What could be the problem?
I'm listening to the car's radio and navigating with Waze, but the 1-8 buttons are not responding.
Only when I enter the iDrive screen they are responding.
Any suggestion?
Oh sorry, yes you would need to be in iDrive screen since those don't get mapped back to Android. Misunderstood what you were saying.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 05:54 AM   #20
ravid007
Rep

Quote:
Oh sorry, yes you would need to be in iDrive screen since those don't get mapped back to Android. Misunderstood what you were saying.
And there is any Android HU that the 1-8 buttons are mapped and working somehow? that I can use them for other purposes while I'm not in iDrive screen?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 08:54 AM   #21
Wires
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravid007 View Post
And there is any Android HU that the 1-8 buttons are mapped and working somehow? that I can use them for other purposes while I'm not in iDrive screen?
I don't think so. All these Android HU's use the same KSW software. It would be nice if they allowed the "mode" button to be changed on the steering wheel as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 11:30 AM   #22
cyanide_snow
Rep
Drives: bmw 320i

Quote:
Sorry its abit late but can i have a link for the provider of this as looking to upgrade
Thanks
Appreciate 0