F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > PCR tests to be scrapped for travellers *absolute rip off*
GetBMWParts

10-09-2021, 01:01 PM   #23
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

PCR tests to be scrapped for travellers *absolute rip off*

Your numbers are pretty accurate. If I buy a point of care test at a local store, such as something like the Abbott Binex now test it is $25 for two tests. I realize this doesn't count for flying but it gets a feeling for the cost. In a lab we see costs from about $10-25 for PCR for some of the smaller diagnostic or reference labs to $30-40 for the larger labs. They bill for more and those costs usually do not include the labor cost. So $50 should be a good cost for a test. I think billing for many of these lab is in the $100 or so range. Now with that stated if countries want travelers to visit it would be beneficial to financially support these tests. Say pay 1/2, 3/4 or more. For a family of 4 you are talking $200 or more extra (times 2) for international travel for us for example traveling to the UK. I have no issues with the tests and working in the field it is easy for me to find these tests, but for many that don't know the ins and outs this is not easy and the costs then on top of it frequently adds to the frustrations of flying. Luckily for us, the U.S. is a big country and we can travel domestically without the need for tests. Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 01:03 PM   #24
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMcL View Post
The Netherlands got this right. They offered free PCR tests to visitors.
Agreed. I did not see you comment until after I submitted my point. I just made that case above.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 01:07 PM   #25
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz View Post
I think the UK Govt original justification for all these tests was to check the genomics for new variants. Apprently they only actually checked 5% making this a bit of a nonsense.
Sequencing is a valuable thing to do for surveillance. We have been doing about 25% of our samples and in some cases more than that. We are a small medical school and are not tasked with national surveillance, but really local city, region and state public surveillance. It is very helpful for looking for new variants. 10% is probably a better number than 5% as a new variant often starts at a low number and if you don't look hard enough you might miss it early. But yes you need samples from people to isolate the virus and sequence.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 02:25 PM   #26
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

No doubt it has helped in some degree with screening and also put a lot of people off travelling which was also the desired outcome.

There were a lot of cowboys however who did make a mint. We did day 2 tests and it took 6 days for 3 out of 4 results to come back and one never did.
Appreciate 0