F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Swap m340 for Tesla model 3 performance??
Studio RSR

09-10-2021, 12:05 PM   #155
Nibbles
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
That's not a brand new EV though is it TBF. It's an 8 year old one with a new battery pack?
Ture but its much cheaper than a brand new £90K Model S.

The first batch of European Model Xs seem to be lasting very well past 150K miles. Our is only just nudging 50K and honestly the interior and driving is pretty much as 'new'.

Much like ICE cars these things will clearly do massive miles with not much issue, the NEED to change is not really there, its more a WANT to change.

The fact the S/X has aluminium chassis should mean they are pretty much corrosion resistant which kills older cars. 4.5 years into ownership I have zero inclination or want to swap into another car, infact am quite excited to see what Autonomous software finally gets pushed to the wider consumer once all the legislation hurdles are passed.

If it was up to me I would happily replace my wife's Lexus hybrid with an old P85 Model S (after all we all know RWD = more fun ) with a view of replacing the battery pack in a few years time. But she wants NEW, and I don't think of us would argue with SWMBO
Just to counter with another experience, my friends Model X has been in with Tesla numerous times with faults over his 3.5 years of ownership. Maybe he got a Friday afternoon car but he says there are plenty of others on the forums that have issues. Even so, he still loves it (although that's sprinkled with the fairy dust of tax relief)
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18850.50
      09-10-2021, 02:17 PM   #156
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbles View Post
Just to counter with another experience, my friends Model X has been in with Tesla numerous times with faults over his 3.5 years of ownership. Maybe he got a Friday afternoon car but he says there are plenty of others on the forums that have issues. Even so, he still loves it (although that's sprinkled with the fairy dust of tax relief)
Found a few posts from a well known tesla supporter on here with early life problems with their Model X on another forum.... but I guess we all have issues with cars and the overall view is would you buy another. I mean, most JLR customers buy another despite the reliability concerns....
Appreciate 3
Nibbles863.50
JustChris17605.50
      09-11-2021, 06:22 AM   #157
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Found a few posts from a well known tesla supporter on here with early life problems with their Model X on another forum.... but I guess we all have issues with cars and the overall view is would you buy another. I mean, most JLR customers buy another despite the reliability concerns....
I have said on here (and to anyone) that our X is the most UNRELIABLE car I have ever owned, however is reliability was my main driver for a car I would be in a Toyota of some kind .

I would say though 2/3 of issues I've had were essentially PDI stuff which I think Tesla is better now. The other stuff were design 'faults' with certain parts which on the whole have been sorted with revised parts.

Our X is about to come out warranty, the extended warranty is £3300 for another 4 years and 50k miles but I think I will skip it as it doesn't cover air suspension/sealed light units which are probably the only two major cost items that might fail.

The Model 3 doesn't have air suspension so that's one 'worry' gone already interms of cost, however Tesla just cannot touch the reliability of our Lexus hybrid which is now nearly 7 years old and have never needed even a drop of oil between services let alone actual bits breaking/falling. My wife values reliability much more than me, and she's undecided about a Model 3 versus waiting for an EV version of her current Lexus from Toyota.

I on the other hand cannot wait to see/try the all the autonomous driving software Tesla is developing, the latest version is really looking amazing. The visualisation Tesla is now achieving through cameras alone cannot be far off the HD mapping apporach others have taken, expect for the obvious advantage of cameras can generate visualisation based on real world changes verus HD mapping that requires pre mapping.

It'll be really interesting to see how all this progresses over the next 12 months, and the fact our X which was made in 2017 will be able to run this software is just crazy!! I cannot think of any other car I have ever owned that has the ability to gain such drastic change in functionality 5 years+ post delivery and without even needing to go near a dealer. Its a total different car ownership experience.

Last edited by gangzoom; 09-11-2021 at 06:50 AM..
Appreciate 2
JustChris17605.50
      09-11-2021, 08:55 AM   #158
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Taycan Turbo

Quote:
I have said on here (and to anyone) that our X is the most UNRELIABLE car I have ever owned, however is reliability was my main driver for a car I would be in a Toyota of some kind .

I would say though 2/3 of issues I've had were essentially PDI stuff which I think Tesla is better now. The other stuff were design 'faults' with certain parts which on the whole have been sorted with revised parts.

Our X is about to come out warranty, the extended warranty is £3300 for another 4 years and 50k miles but I think I will skip it as it doesn't cover air suspension/sealed light units which are probably the only two major cost items that might fail.

The Model 3 doesn't have air suspension so that's one 'worry' gone already interms of cost, however Tesla just cannot touch the reliability of our Lexus hybrid which is now nearly 7 years old and have never needed even a drop of oil between services let alone actual bits breaking/falling. My wife values reliability much more than me, and she's undecided about a Model 3 versus waiting for an EV version of her current Lexus from Toyota.

I on the other hand cannot wait to see/try the all the autonomous driving software Tesla is developing, the latest version is really looking amazing. The visualisation Tesla is now achieving through cameras alone cannot be far off the HD mapping apporach others have taken, expect for the obvious advantage of cameras can generate visualisation based on real world changes verus HD mapping that requires pre mapping.

It'll be really interesting to see how all this progresses over the next 12 months, and the fact our X which was made in 2017 will be able to run this software is just crazy!! I cannot think of any other car I have ever owned that has the ability to gain such drastic change in functionality 5 years+ post delivery and without even needing to go near a dealer. Its a total different car ownership experience.

Nice attempt at a deflection there.....got to admire a trier!
Appreciate 1
sahajesh2295.00
      09-11-2021, 11:46 AM   #159
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyrshireColin View Post
From what?

We have two very different cars on our driveway, the Lexus is about as traditional as they come interms of interior design, usage, range etc, and as I've said its 100% reliable whilst returning 50mpg so not even that expensive to run. The Tesla is opposite end of spectrum for reliability but also design philosophy.

I did 100 miles today running errands and taking my daughter to parties/activities....You can guess which car I used, and isn't the reliable one but the one that offers functionality that really should be standard in all cars going forwards.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 12:20 PM   #160
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Quote:
From what?

We have two very different cars on our driveway, the Lexus is about as traditional as they come interms of interior design, usage, range etc, and as I've said its 100% reliable whilst returning 50mpg so not even that expensive to run. The Tesla is opposite end of spectrum for reliability but also design philosophy.

I did 100 miles today running errands and taking my daughter to parties/activities....You can guess which car I used, and isn't the reliable one but the one that offers functionality that really should be standard in all cars going forwards.

Sneaky little FSD10 will have to check out a few YouTubes of it shortly.
      09-11-2021, 12:32 PM   #161
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:
From what?

The one with a HUD, cooled seats, blind spot monitoring…. ?

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 04:02 PM   #162
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:

I wasnt suggesting that you were telling a different story, quite the opposite - that despite that you still swear by it
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 05:12 PM   #163
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
I never knew the Tesla’s never had HUDs until reading that. When I googled it the reason for that being the case is quite honestly ridiculous!
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2021, 11:21 PM   #164
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Actually the one that does 0-60 in under 5 seconds, keeps my daughter entertained whilst waiting for my wife to pick out door handle combinations at the kitchen shop, gives a great view of the road even from the back seats, oh and costs 4p per mile in fuel.

The Lexus has done 3000 miles in the last 18 months, less than what I've done on my pedal bike. The only thing its got going for it is the fact its reliable, if it had the reliability of our last BMW it would have been chopped in for another Tesla a long time ago!

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 02:19 AM   #165
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Actually the one that does 0-60 in under 5 seconds, keeps my daughter entertained whilst waiting for my wife to pick out door handle combinations at the kitchen shop, gives a great view of the road even from the back seats, oh and costs 4p per mile in fuel.

The Lexus has done 3000 miles in the last 18 months, less than what I've done on my pedal bike. The only thing its got going for it is the fact its reliable, if it had the reliability of our last BMW it would have been chopped in for another Tesla a long time ago!

[Img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...356995_c_d.jpg[/img]
Makes sense. For me, there is nowhere to do 0-60, my daughter and I would be in the shop with my wife and no-one is seven foot tall to have the pictured view and nor do we use the middle seat anyway, the view from the Discovery is one thing I would seriously miss if I moved to pretty much any other brand, a model X is far too low to replicate that.

This is why we all have different priorities and what's perfect for one of us is a disaster for another of us. I'd rather have a HUD on the way to the shop, and cooled seats when we jump back in on a hot day (having also pre-cooled the car from the app).

I don't need any convincing about electric, I'm 100% certain that I'd rather have an electric drivetrain rather than any diesel and most petrol engines. It just needs the right packaging wrapped around it, sufficiently sized with the features I use and the materials that I like.

Appreciate 3
Grant_72026.00
CajunBMW1290.50
      09-12-2021, 04:04 AM   #166
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:

Took me a wee minute to figure it out but that ‘trunking’ to rear view mirror…..I understand there’s not really any other way to implement it but upon seeing that I think I’d rather just have a regular windscreen over a ‘panoramic’ windscreen.

Is that a Model X thing or is that across the range?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 04:10 PM   #167
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Update

I had a wear issue with the seat bolster, so had to wait for warranty repair confirmation (upgraded seats <10k miles) so that slowed this down

Warranty repair is now approved, but will be dec given the seats are blue / black upgrade

In the interim I have decided I can’t get over the Tesla model three looks and interior

I drove one, drove ok, but it’s fugly and touch screens should be banned.

Thoughts moved to the i4 m50 or an etron

Looked a colleagues etron, looked ok, but I don’t want a 4x4, I don’t like the up high driving position

Lead times seem to be horrendous at the moment and the i4 m50 isn’t available atthe moment via lex so I have started wavering on an ev

Thinking yesterday was save a couple of hundred eo a month for 30 months until the end of the pcp to soften the blow, then pay off the balance and enjoy a fully owned petrol, with no range anxiety

Given I won’t get into a ev for 6 months min with lead times, I’m back thinking the time isn’t yet now for a full ev

Then the reviews for the i4 m50 confirm. Heavy foot and the range is very poor. It would be very hard driving to match the low range of the i4 in the m340

So it seems heart has kidnapped head, and I’m leaning towards buying and keeping the m340, but jeez, it’s just such a potential saving lost, I don’t know what to do lol

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13729.00
      10-14-2021, 12:36 AM   #168
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Update

I had a wear issue with the seat bolster, so had to wait for warranty repair confirmation (upgraded seats <10k miles) so that slowed this down

Warranty repair is now approved, but will be dec given the seats are blue / black upgrade

In the interim I have decided I can't get over the Tesla model three looks and interior

I drove one, drove ok, but it's fugly and touch screens should be banned.

Thoughts moved to the i4 m50 or an etron

Looked a colleagues etron, looked ok, but I don't want a 4x4, I don't like the up high driving position

Lead times seem to be horrendous at the moment and the i4 m50 isn't available atthe moment via lex so I have started wavering on an ev

Thinking yesterday was save a couple of hundred eo a month for 30 months until the end of the pcp to soften the blow, then pay off the balance and enjoy a fully owned petrol, with no range anxiety

Given I won't get into a ev for 6 months min with lead times, I'm back thinking the time isn't yet now for a full ev

Then the reviews for the i4 m50 confirm. Heavy foot and the range is very poor. It would be very hard driving to match the low range of the i4 in the m340

So it seems heart has kidnapped head, and I'm leaning towards buying and keeping the m340, but jeez, it's just such a potential saving lost, I don't know what to do lol
At least you tried out the Model 3, so you know you're making the right decision for you.

Re. The potential saving - my personal opinion is that your car will continue to be worth a fair bit more than the PCP balance right to the end, so you will be able to use that equity when the time is right (or if buying out now, you are buying a car that will hold its value well). At least that's a little consolation.

Just one thing, you "don't want a 4x4". Which set of driveshafts have you disconnected on your car?

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 04:51 PM   #169
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
At least you tried out the Model 3, so you know you're making the right decision for you.

Re. The potential saving - my personal opinion is that your car will continue to be worth a fair bit more than the PCP balance right to the end, so you will be able to use that equity when the time is right (or if buying out now, you are buying a car that will hold its value well). At least that's a little consolation.

Just one thing, you "don't want a 4x4". Which set of driveshafts have you disconnected on your car?
Fair point, 4x4 being a Chelsea tractor rather than the drivetrain

I don’t like the up high driving position or size

Can’t ever see myself in an x3 / q5 etc

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 04:56 PM   #170
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Ironically I drove the wife’s fiesta ST to the local shop and appreciated the feel of 2 wheels driving, with the car chasing every bump in the road, actually having to drive

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d
Appreciate 0