F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > 2017 340ix oil change questions
GetBMWParts

02-14-2022, 02:57 PM   #23
edycol
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Just to remind everyone of Porsche test for A/C40 approval:
8hrs simulation on Nordschleife in this machine. And Porsche approval is not even toughest one. This test is one among others:

Visit YouTube to watch.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3789.50
      02-16-2022, 09:58 AM   #24
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

It looks like ULSG is still spotty where I am at, so I'm back leaning to LL01 oils and likely will just go with PP Euro 5w-40.
My MK7 GTI loved that oil, and I'm sure the B58 will as well.

I actually emailed Costco about sulphur content in their fuel, since that's what I usually buy as it's 20-30c cheaper:

"Thank you for your inquiry about Costco's Kirkland Signature Gasoline. Costco shares your enthusiasm for cleaner burning gasoline, including the newer Tier 3 low-sulfur designation. Tier 3 fuel standards lower the sulfur content of gasoline from 30 parts per million to 10 ppm.

Costco doesn't own any refineries, pipelines, or tankers, so we buy fuel from the existing fuel supply network in the markets where we do business. Utah refineries are almost all Tier 3 compliant, but not yet the rest of the United States. Most of the fuel we sell in Utah is Tier 3 because that is what is primarily available to purchase in that market. However, Colorado refineries are not producing Tier 3 fuel at this time, which means that our Colorado locations, including Littleton, CO are not selling Tier 3 fuel.

All Costco gas stations throughout the United States and Canada are certified to meet the Top Tier performance standards for detergent additives. Clean engines run as designed, meaning our high detergent level reduces emissions caused by dirty engine deposits. Top Tier is a voluntary detergent standard, while Tier 3 is a government sulfur standard. Both help the environment, but in different ways."

Maybe the local Shell or Exxon stations are Tier 3, but that sounds unlikely given that CO refineries aren't producing Tier 3.

(How I miss Texas and its 93 octane Shell sold for $3/gal)

Last edited by AspektUSA; 02-16-2022 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 01:05 PM   #25
edycol
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspektUSA View Post
It looks like ULSG is still spotty where I am at, so I'm back leaning to LL01 oils and likely will just go with PP Euro 5w-40.
My MK7 GTI loved that oil, and I'm sure the B58 will as well.

I actually emailed Costco about sulphur content in their fuel, since that's what I usually buy as it's 20-30c cheaper:

"Thank you for your inquiry about Costco's Kirkland Signature Gasoline. Costco shares your enthusiasm for cleaner burning gasoline, including the newer Tier 3 low-sulfur designation. Tier 3 fuel standards lower the sulfur content of gasoline from 30 parts per million to 10 ppm.

Costco doesn't own any refineries, pipelines, or tankers, so we buy fuel from the existing fuel supply network in the markets where we do business. Utah refineries are almost all Tier 3 compliant, but not yet the rest of the United States. Most of the fuel we sell in Utah is Tier 3 because that is what is primarily available to purchase in that market. However, Colorado refineries are not producing Tier 3 fuel at this time, which means that our Colorado locations, including Littleton, CO are not selling Tier 3 fuel.

All Costco gas stations throughout the United States and Canada are certified to meet the Top Tier performance standards for detergent additives. Clean engines run as designed, meaning our high detergent level reduces emissions caused by dirty engine deposits. Top Tier is a voluntary detergent standard, while Tier 3 is a government sulfur standard. Both help the environment, but in different ways."

Maybe the local Shell or Exxon stations are Tier 3, but that sounds unlikely given that CO refineries aren't producing Tier 3.

(How I miss Texas and its 93 octane Shell sold for $3/gal)
Based on my latest UOA in VW Tiguan direct injection engine, CO gas is lower in sulphur levels than 5 years ago and I strictly use Costco in the Springs. TBN value is still strong after5k compared to my analysis in the same engine 5yrs ago both times using M1 ESP 5W30.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 10:03 PM   #26
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

Took advantage of the nice weather this week, and poured some liquid gold into the B58.

View post on imgur.com

Went with a Mahle filter from FCP for the fun of it, since the Mann is no longer $9.75 - they're both about $13 now.

Think next time I might stop by the Toyota dealer, and see what they charge.

Going to send off the 0w-20 Liqui Moly LL17 to Blackstone for analysis, even though I only put 6700mi on it.
Appreciate 0