F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Is BMW going to update software on my diesel
proTUNING Freaks

05-08-2022, 02:03 PM   #1
ssf556
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 328d

Is BMW going to update software on my diesel

Hello everyone I am taking my new to me 2018 328d into the dealer tomorrow to get the HPFP recall done.

We drove the car from Las Vegas back to SC and really enjoyed getting 46-50 mpg. The major reason I bought the car.

I just want to make sure BMW is not going to reprogram the car to impact those mpg numbers,….ie dieselgate, VW.

Let me know
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 02:21 PM   #2
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

The older software and the new software has no different settings regarding all that. BMW didn't cheat even from the beginning.
Appreciate 1
ssf55648.00
      05-09-2022, 06:07 AM   #3
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
The older software and the new software has no different settings regarding all that. BMW didn't cheat even from the beginning.
My experience is somewhat different.

My 30d went to BMW for a recall replacement of the EGR cooler (the EGR valve was also replaced) and, without my consent, BMW updated the base map in the ECU (my remap was erased as a result).

After I had the remap reinstalled there were distinct changes in tone at some rpm and the mpg reduced by around 10%. This is under daily driving and calculating mpg over several years using Fuelly rather than anything more scientific.

In hindsight I should have instructed "no updates", as I normally do, to ensure that the ECU was left alone. The EGR cooler is passive and the operation of the valve was not part of the recall.

BMW was also implicated in the emissions scandal, along with VW group, Mercedes, and many other manufacturers. VW just became the centre of attention.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 03:45 PM   #4
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
My experience is somewhat different.

My 30d went to BMW for a recall replacement of the EGR cooler (the EGR valve was also replaced) and, without my consent, BMW updated the base map in the ECU (my remap was erased as a result).

After I had the remap reinstalled there were distinct changes in tone at some rpm and the mpg reduced by around 10%. This is under daily driving and calculating mpg over several years using Fuelly rather than anything more scientific.

In hindsight I should have instructed "no updates", as I normally do, to ensure that the ECU was left alone. The EGR cooler is passive and the operation of the valve was not part of the recall.

BMW was also implicated in the emissions scandal, along with VW group, Mercedes, and many other manufacturers. VW just became the centre of attention.
Is yours the EU5 or EU6 version with diesel exhaust fluid?

VW was at the center of attention because they deliberately switched to a cleaner variant of engine operating mode when it recognized dyno mode, and then back to dirtier normal when on road.

The USA BMW software for these EU6 equivalent cars have been tested ad nauseam for cheats and were not found. I know of some Euro journalism claiming that a variable rate of EGR adjusting to how much load/throttle there is, but that's speculative, because the EGR valve rate can be reduced as exhaust flow increases.

Either way, for the USA versions, there will not be efficiency differences as NOx is treated with aftertreatment. I understand this may not be the case on Euro cars depending on equipment.
Appreciate 1
ssf55648.00
      05-10-2022, 05:58 AM   #5
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Is yours the EU5 or EU6 version with diesel exhaust fluid?

VW was at the center of attention because they deliberately switched to a cleaner variant of engine operating mode when it recognized dyno mode, and then back to dirtier normal when on road.

The USA BMW software for these EU6 equivalent cars have been tested ad nauseam for cheats and were not found. I know of some Euro journalism claiming that a variable rate of EGR adjusting to how much load/throttle there is, but that's speculative, because the EGR valve rate can be reduced as exhaust flow increases.

Either way, for the USA versions, there will not be efficiency differences as NOx is treated with aftertreatment. I understand this may not be the case on Euro cars depending on equipment.
My car is EU5, 2012 build, no DEF.

VW (VAG group) was certainly proven to have consciously developed cheat software, adjusting the fuelling when the ECU detected running conditions which indicated that the vehicle was conducting an emissions test cycle, but there was a wider discussion/investigation relating to claimed/actual efficiency data from multiple manufacturers including BMW and Mercedes which seemed to go beyond test results versus the reality of normal driving.

WLTP has attempted to shift everyone's understanding more towards the reality of the emissions that our cars create, but it's never going to be perfectly accurate because of the human factor.

It seemed strange that BMW updated the ECU on my car when there was no reason to do so, i.e. the EGR cooler is passive and there were no engine/fuelling/EGR (valve) related faults which needed attention. The result could be heard, felt and observed - fuelling had definitely been adjusted.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
Enabled1484.50
      05-10-2022, 08:51 AM   #6
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
My car is EU5, 2012 build, no DEF.

VW (VAG group) was certainly proven to have consciously developed cheat software, adjusting the fuelling when the ECU detected running conditions which indicated that the vehicle was conducting an emissions test cycle, but there was a wider discussion/investigation relating to claimed/actual efficiency data from multiple manufacturers including BMW and Mercedes which seemed to go beyond test results versus the reality of normal driving.

WLTP has attempted to shift everyone's understanding more towards the reality of the emissions that our cars create, but it's never going to be perfectly accurate because of the human factor.

It seemed strange that BMW updated the ECU on my car when there was no reason to do so, i.e. the EGR cooler is passive and there were no engine/fuelling/EGR (valve) related faults which needed attention. The result could be heard, felt and observed - fuelling had definitely been adjusted.
This is interesting for sure.

One of my (many) goals is to document what was changed with the updates. I've done a bit for the USA flash, and there have been some changes, but nothing of significance. For example, how the throttle body (ASV) behaves when engine is shut off. The older versions would do it quickly and make a peculiar noise. Newer versions slowed that down to a soft tick tick tick.

The latest update for USA versions is still from 2017. It's very time consuming so it wasn't worth looking much further into it after I saw the changes.
I'm sure the EU5 are different, since it has to deal with NOx in a different way.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 1
Watsey6458.00
      05-12-2022, 01:08 PM   #7
bobkat99
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d G30

It's amazing how many legal firms have jumped on the bandwagon - I've even seen some asking "Did YOU buy a BMW between xxxx and yyyy? If so..."
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 09:13 AM   #8
ssf556
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 328d

Just a quick update. Century BMW in Greenville SC replaced the HPFP and they did not drop any software updates.

They did however change out the broken plastic clamp that holds the e brake cables. That was a pleasant surprise!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 04:43 PM   #9
MechWatch
Rep
Drives: 2000 323CiC 2014 328dX

Quote:
This is interesting for sure.

One of my (many) goals is to document what was changed with the updates. I've done a bit for the USA flash, and there have been some changes, but nothing of significance. For example, how the throttle body (ASV) behaves when engine is shut off. The older versions would do it quickly and make a peculiar noise. Newer versions slowed that down to a soft tick tick tick.

The latest update for USA versions is still from 2017. It's very time consuming so it wasn't worth looking much further into it after I saw the changes.
I'm sure the EU5 are different, since it has to deal with NOx in a different way.
I know Enabled know your stuff but are you sure? I had some work done @ the dealer in 2020 and the tech updated my entire car (I haven't the slightest idea why but I know he did).
The MPG has dropped from 43MPG down to ~40 since.

Also, BMW sent me this letter... I'm ignoring it but it does suggest they've revised the emissions tuning.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 08:54 AM   #10
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yea, I am quite certain.

That letter is for X3 28i with the N20 gas engine though, it's not relevant at all.

For the N47 US, there haven't been updates since late 2017/2018.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.

Last edited by Enabled; 06-15-2022 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
ssf55648.00