F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Rear ended yesterday, how would you proceed?
Extreme Powerhouse

07-15-2022, 11:03 AM   #1
Itogliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 435i

Rear ended yesterday, how would you proceed?

I was rear-ended in a parking garage yesterday, so it was very low speed. I took pictures and got the other driver's info. Other driver is 100% at fault.

The damage to my vehicle APPEARS to be cosmetic only and isolated to the rear bumper cover (i.e. no damage to either quarter panel, trunk/hatch lid, or exhaust pipes), but won't know for sure until the bumper cover comes off and we can take a look at the underlying bumper structure. If there is damage to the bumper structure, no question I file a claim with insurance, but for this post, let's assume only the bumper cover is damaged.

As of now, the options I can see are:

1) File a claim for repair/replacement AND diminished value
2) Don't file a claim and either live with it or pay out of pocket (~$1200+)

I have a feeling the diminished value is going to be the decider here. Do DV claim payouts typically fully cover the DV, or just a portion? Would it be better to pay out of pocket to retain full resale/trade-in value (again reiterating this is only if the damage is cosmetic only, I'm not trying to scam anyone down the road)?

For reference, this is a 2015 435i xDrive GC with 80,000 miles. Not sure if this makes a difference but it's been meticulously cared for with complete records of everything done to it. Also has a recent windshield crack (courtesy of a lifted pickup truck with no mud flaps) too big to be filled ($1100 to replace with OE glass)

Last edited by Itogliano; 07-15-2022 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 12:07 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

File the claim, that's why you have insurance. You might have reason to be concerned about diminished value if you had 8,000 miles on the clock, but not with 80,000.
Appreciate 2
johnung4945.50
Itogliano106.00
      07-15-2022, 01:42 PM   #3
Itogliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
File the claim, that's why you have insurance. You might have reason to be concerned about diminished value if you had 8,000 miles on the clock, but not with 80,000.
Would you just not bother with it at all?

Also I'm not sure WHO to reach out to. I've seen some sources that say to file a claim with your own insurance, and others that say to claim with the at-fault party's insurance
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 06:46 AM   #4
PHXATC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 911 '20 430i '20 Explorer

I've never understood these questions...you pay your insurance premium yearly for exactly these type of occurrences. Call your insurance company/agent and file a claim. Let them work with the other company of the accused and you can sit back and not worry about that stuff as it progresses.

There wouldn't be any diminished value for a simple, as described, cosmetic issue on your vehicle. Not insulting you, but this isn't a Ferrari that could have a higher lean towards a diminished value claim. It is a 7 year old, 80,000 mile BMW that is not a unicorn or rare vehicle. Yes, you've been meticulous about it and have reaped the rewards from being so and will continue to do so when you go to sell it. Take pictures of this as well and when you go to sell the vehicle, your meticulous records will add to the story and keep things on the up and up.

Get it fixed then get back to driving your car that you like!
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8621.00
      07-16-2022, 08:14 AM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itogliano View Post
I've seen some sources that say to file a claim with your own insurance, and others that say to claim with the at-fault party's insurance
How many of these sources are the only one that matters, your insurance company? And no, you never file a claim with the other drivers insurance company. If he's at fault your insurance company will do that. The only way you'd ever go direct to the other party's insurance company is if you are uninsured, and then you probably would have to go to court to do it.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 07:37 AM   #6
RAK92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itogliano View Post
Would you just not bother with it at all?

Also I'm not sure WHO to reach out to. I've seen some sources that say to file a claim with your own insurance, and others that say to claim with the at-fault party's insurance
File with your insurance company and they will deal with the other party’s insurance. This has happened to me and I was even able to get my deductible back from the other insurance company as well so I was out no money at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 08:13 AM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I get the feeling that the OP has never read that bit on his policy and/or proof of insurance card re:'What to do if you have an accident'.
Appreciate 1