F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > In the market for a 340i xDrive..
GetBMWParts

08-01-2022, 01:28 AM   #1
GENETICSUPERHUMAN
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '19 440 GC xDrive

In the market for a 340i xDrive..

Hey guys, I've been shopping around for a new car for a while now and I've become pretty set on the 340. That being said, I have a few questions.

With the xDrive model, would y'all consider no adaptive suspension a deal killer? I plan on getting coilovers anyway and I'm not sure if that feature would even remain.

What would y'all consider must have or favorite features/packages? For me, obviously M-sport but I think I'm also pretty set on the 6WB multimedia dash.

Lastly, what did y'all purchase your used 340i for? In this crazy market I'm not sure what a good deal is anymore. I have the luxury of waiting for a purchase, but obviously I want a new toy

Is it even worth me getting xDrive? I'm moving to Denver next year from Texas and having never driven in snow I think I'd like the extra security but people say it ruins the driving experience or is very floaty. I'm not going to be tracking it or anything and to be honest 0-60/red light racing thrill matters to me. I think xDrive is for me but I am open to new perspectives!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 06:24 AM   #2
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

i wouldn't limit my choices to 6WB cars, they only came on 2018 models, and only some cars had it. I bought a 2017 340i and the 6WB retrofit only cost me $1,100 all in all. there were zero available 2018 6WB cars at the time I bought mine.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2022, 07:25 AM   #3
Runner340
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 340i xDrive

Agreed on the 6WB digital dash by Toxik. More of a nice to have that can be easily retrofitted. I myself have gone back and forth on that retrofit with my car but have choose to put $$ elsewhere.
Adaptive suspension would not necessarily be a deal breaker but then again I don't have it on mine to qualify an objective opinion. If the adaptive suspension pkg includes the track handling pkg. That might be worth it because of the 4 and 2 pot Brembo blue calipers with 370mm frt/345mm rear rotors which is essentially the M Performance Brake kit without slotted/dimpled rotors which IMO more cosmetic. Also bare in mind if you get the xDrive model F3x platform and run coilovers. Dropping the car too much will cause front drive axle failures.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2022, 08:13 AM   #4
oem.plus_440gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i XDrive GC

Garage List
I have a 2019 F36 (440i gran coupe) and when I was shopping around and test driving vehicles, adaptive suspension became a must have for me since I have no plans of upgrading to aftermarket suspension. My wife already thinks my car is much to low (granted I wouldnt mind another 1/2-1 inch of drop all around for aesthetics). I think the adaptive suspension is great. Pretty comfy in comfort mode and pretty sporty in sport/+ mode. You can also get software to stiffen it up even more if thats something you're looking to do. You also can get coilovers (aftermarket) that will still use the adaptive suspension functionality so something to consider. My car also came with the track handling package which was something I really wanted for the aesthetics of the big blue brakes more than anything. My WRX didnt have the option to get brembos from the factory but that became available in future years and it was something I always wish I had so I made sure to get it on my F36.

When I was searching, I knew I wanted a M Sport 440i Xdrive Gran Coupe in Alpine White, Coral Red interior, with the THP and Adaptive Suspension so I held out until I found the right car. I think I ended up paying about $41k (back in early November of 2021). Car had about 36,000 miles on it and still had manufacturer warranty and was CPO. Already used manufacturer warranty to fix some clunking from the front suspension which I'm sure would have been a few thousand $$.

My advice, try to test drive a car with and without adaptive suspension and also a RWD vs AWD car and see what feels best to you. A good set of snow tires can go a long way on a RWD car for the winter if that is your biggest concern. However, if you plan on upgrading the power and "0-60/red light racing" is important to you, the traction with AWD on a launch will be much better than RWD. You can only fit so much tire on the back of RWD car to gain that off the line/launch traction, especially as your power numbers go up (if you plan on modding).
Current: 2019 440i xDrive Gran Coupe - Alpine White, Coral Red Dakota Leather, 8AT, MSport, THP, BM3; 2015 X5 35i xDrive - Mineral White Metallic, Mocha Dakota Leather; Previous: 2015 Subaru WRX - World Rally Blue, Premium, FBO+Tune
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2022, 09:47 AM   #5
Scorp10
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive (F30)

If you've never driven in the snow, go X Drive. Most accidents where I am from are people new to driving in the snow and not knowing how to react. X Drive will give you a little more security as that is the only reason I bought my '17 340i over a '15 M3 a few years ago.

For the must have features besides M Sport, I would say cold weather package, head up display, track handling package, and Apple Car Play. You can always code in Apple Car play later if you can't find a 340i with it. Cold weather package will be worth it in Denver for sure. Also Harman Kardon sounds much better than the base sound system. I paid $29k for my car early 2020 and I just had BMW offer $34k for my car last week as a trade, so yes the market is still quite crazy. Good luck with your search!
      08-01-2022, 12:52 PM   #6
teelos
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i

I wanted my 340 to have everything so I had to do some searching and ended up driving 5 hours to pick one up. I got a 2018 340i fully loaded with track handling package and only 13k miles for 41k. Kind of pricey but considering my need for a new car and market I said F it
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2022, 07:04 PM   #7
GENETICSUPERHUMAN
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '19 440 GC xDrive

Thank you all for your input I greatly appreciate it. There's definitely not a huge amount of 340i xDrives on the market (or at least that I could find) so I'm already becoming more flexible on my 6WB preference..

teelos I can't believe you got that deal! Most of the cars I've seen aren't that loaded with 30-40k miles and are already approaching the 40k mark.

I wish I could test drive between xDrive and RWD as well as with adaptive suspension and without but I've already had to expand my car search to nationwide and have accepted I will probably pay $2,000 in car shipping to even get a 340i
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 10:07 PM   #8
e30woo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i

First of all, the 340 is a great choice assuming it will be your DD. I think it has a great balance between comfort and sport, maybe leaning more on the sporty side.

I purchased my car last November, 2018 6MT, THP and M Sport. It may also have another package as it has Nav and HUD. It was CPO as well which added to the cost, I definitely over-paid but 6MT was a must for me and they seem to fetch a premium.

As far as adaptive suspension - I am not a huge fan of how floaty it feels in comfort. In sport/sport plus, it is much firmer, but unless you're driving on newly paved roads the car tends to get unsettled with small imperfections. Since you're getting coilovers anyway, i'd probably forgo this as a necessity, but like others have said you can do KW's or others that retain the adaptive functionality.

Musts would be M Sport and THP (maybe even MPPSK). I would try to get a 2018 as it also came standard with HK audio, and you'd typically want the latest year anyway. RWD vs AWD honestly doesn't matter in terms of everyday driving, but since you are moving to a colder climate, I would go AWD. But lowering your car too much will blow axles - and swapping wheels/tires may have an impact on the transfer case (if you plan on modifying to this extent)
Appreciate 0