F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > New to an almost New BMW 335i GT...
GetBMWParts

11-26-2022, 08:28 PM   #1
mateiux
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335 GT

New to an almost New BMW 335i GT...

Hello everyone!

First BMW (car) and first post here. Owned 2 BMW motorcycles: F650CS - at 25 I learned how to ride on that thing, then I graduated to a F800S, and that's all for me and BMW, until now...

I traded my 2016 2.0 Ford Escape ("Kuga") Titanium for the 2015 335i GT. Don't ask me for the reason ...

It has 15000KM (~9300 Miles).The car looks and smells brand new ... Drives really nice ...
I love wagons (why do people buy SUVs here in NA is beyond me) - could not find anything that checked all the boxes (Volvo, Audi...), this was the best non wagon, wagon that checked all the boxes for me.

Previous owner seems to have ordered everything, too many "packages" to list here ... so I will list what is missing: Blind Spot Monitor and Adaptive Cruise Control. The rest you name it - it has it...

On my to do list:
-Oil + Filter change, they did change it at the BMW dealership (I don't trust any dealership out there, way too many bad experiences over the years with multiple cars. I fix my own cars.
-"Performance" air filter (K&N/AEM direct stock replacement, nothing fancy)
-Spark plugs - maybe!?
-AA/CarPlay retrofit MMI - a must! (Infotainment is horrible you need a manual with you every time you want to find something. Maybe I need some time to adjust, we have a 2016 Mazda3 as well 100% copied BMW in all aspects, but Mazda's infotainment is way better and more logical)
-Winter tires (235/50/R18)

Question: What should I look for in terms of service related to age rather then mileage ? I hear they are pretty robust if correctly cared after.

Disclaimer:
I don't want or feel any need to tune the car ... I like it the way it is right now... I traded the Escape for this, so you know where I'm coming from
I also tend not to believe all the videos online on "changing stuff before it fails" - majority is "click-bait" IMO, the fine print should be the fact that the presenters seem to be "ricers" or shop owners, hope not to offend any real enthusiasts and honest shop owners out there. Maybe I'm wrong, open to suggestions !

Anyone want a Ford ... so you really have something to complain about
Appreciate 2
      11-26-2022, 09:47 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

'Performance' air filters are a waste of money, stick with OEM for that and the oil filter. Winter tires? Maybe, maybe not. Your weather is no worse than mine. My Michelin Cross Climate 2 plus xDrive get me through anything, and I have mountains. Bimmercode is indispensable.
My latest mod was this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZF9FK6W...roduct_details

The stock rear view mirror is pretty useless. This camera rear view has three times the viewing area, and as a plus it's a dash cam too.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 11:05 AM   #3
mateiux
Canada
Rep

I hear you on the "Performance", was going for the fact that I can wash the filter... and reuse.
I hear good things about the Cross Climate 2, the tires on the car now are in perfect shape and summer (225 Front / 255 Back). I got the X-Ice on 18" inch rims for now.

Agree on the stock rearview mirror field of view - and thank you for the suggestion, right on time for Cyber Monday I see they are discounted.

Another thing I noticed - no remote release for the rear seat backrest and not sliding anchor points on the trunk floor. Is it just my car? or that is how they packaged it for Canada (cost cutting maybe)?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 02:10 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

My rear seat releases are in the trunk, but that makes sense to me, I only use them to increase the cargo space. Mine has the anchors, I've never used them.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 03:53 PM   #5
mateiux
Canada
Rep

Found out why I'm missing the rear seat releases in the trunk and the anchor rails, I guess they did not add this package:
493 Storage Compartment Package
The car has no nets on the sides of the trunk either, it's completely "clean" just carpet ...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 05:04 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

All stock with mine. I've noticed a few standard items on US GTs missing from the Canadian models. Some guys compared Canadian to US prices and found Canadian cheaper, but then found out that they weren't equipped the same even within the same line.
Appreciate 0