F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Spark Plug Change, gas smell in cabiin
ARMA SPEED

03-19-2021, 04:47 PM   #1
sledge149
Rep
Drives: F30

Spark Plug Change, gas smell in cabiin

A few days ago I paid to have my spark plugs changed in my 2015 BMW 328 (F30) and since then I have noticed a somewhat strong gas smell inside the cabin. The smell wasn't there before I paid to have the plugs changed, so I naturally thought that it had something to do with the spark plug change.

I took it back, they kept it for two days and said they smelt it, but after taking it apart and putting it back together, the smell went away. Well, I still smell it.

I just took all of the coils out and I found one coil that was slightly corroded, and one of the "shafts" the plug fits into looking similar in the area of the engine bay that I can smell gasoline. Sort of dark looking as opposed to bright and shiny and it SMELLS LIKE GAS. Im hoping you can see what I mean by looking at the pics.

So, what's going on? Did they break a plug while putting it in? (I don't have a socket to pull them out to check myself) And is this why I am smelling gas in the engine bay as well as the passenger cabin?

(Note. I dont drive with the engine cover off and the coil pack that is rusty looking is the second from the back of the engine)
Attached Images

Last edited by sledge149; 03-19-2021 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: clarity
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 04:54 PM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Maybe plug is not sealing/seated correctly, some dirt,etc. or mechanical damage to the sealing ring surface...fuel leaking past

Need to pull plug and inspect seal and mating surface.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 07:16 PM   #3
Wires
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I'd have to saw whatever is causing that rusting isn't from a couple days ago, that's months ago. Is the car throwing any codes?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 11:56 PM   #4
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

I think that there was a TSB from BMW regarding the rust on the coil, stating that it was acceptable and they don't need to be changed.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 02:00 AM   #5
NEWTRON
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge149 View Post
A few days ago I paid to have my spark plugs changed in my 2015 BMW 328 (F30) and since then I have noticed a somewhat strong gas smell inside the cabin. The smell wasn't there before I paid to have the plugs changed, so I naturally thought that it had something to do with the spark plug change.

I took it back, they kept it for two days and said they smelt it, but after taking it apart and putting it back together, the smell went away. Well, I still smell it.

I just took all of the coils out and I found one coil that was slightly corroded, and one of the "shafts" the plug fits into looking similar in the area of the engine bay that I can smell gasoline. Sort of dark looking as opposed to bright and shiny and it SMELLS LIKE GAS. Im hoping you can see what I mean by looking at the pics.

So, what's going on? Did they break a plug while putting it in? (I don't have a socket to pull them out to check myself) And is this why I am smelling gas in the engine bay as well as the passenger cabin?

(Note. I dont drive with the engine cover off and the coil pack that is rusty looking is the second from the back of the engine)
theres rust on your fuel line/injector. It looks like you have a small fuel leak there. Put it back together and check if there's any fuel leaking from that line while its running.
VRSF RACE IC, FTP CP, VRSF CATLESS DP, BORLA ATAK CATBACK, CTS TURBO INTAKE, MST V2 INLET, PURE STAGE 2, TURBOSMART BOV,FTP TURBO OUTLET, SPOOL FX180, BM3 ETHANOL ANALYZER, PRECISION RACEWORKS COILS, BM3 STAGE 2+ E30
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 01:08 PM   #6
AMG KLR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTRON View Post
theres rust on your fuel line/injector. It looks like you have a small fuel leak there. Put it back together and check if there's any fuel leaking from that line while its running.
Good eye
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 09:50 AM   #7
slegau
Rep
Drives: bmw 2015 328i

Had exact saem problem in my 2015 BMW 328i. Has spark plugs changed, literally had gas fumes and exhaust coming into cabin through vents, vent intake is right near spark plugs.

Brought car back, they pulled out all coils and noticed one was corroded like yours, replaced it, and majority of smell is gone but definitely still something remaining, been driving like this a while now.

Have you had any further success into finding the cause?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 03:28 PM   #8
McGyv3r
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1989 325i & 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
1989 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Coil and plug, rust or not, will not produce a gas smell.

However, there is a high pressure fuel line going to the injectors right next to the coil pack. There is also oil residue on the valve cover near the spark plug well. It's likely that there is a small fuel leak. The mechanic may have accidently caused a leak, or it could be a coincidence.
Appreciate 3
Billfitz8628.50
Wires1840.50
      12-13-2022, 05:58 PM   #9
helomech
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Just a thought-I can’t verify this since I’m not at home, but I would think the cabin air intake would draw from an area that would be sealed off from the engine bay, presumably from behind the panels that have to be removed to access the plugs, since this just started after you had that done. The engine bay is pretty well sealed up, so if you are getting engine bay fumes through your cabin vents, they may have installed that paneling incorrectly.
I would do a leak check with the engine beauty cover & sound insulation off, and if you don’t see any leaks, check that the paneling aft of the strut brace is all installed correctly. There are multiple pieces that join together back there.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 08:01 AM   #10
McGyv3r
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1989 325i & 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
1989 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by helomech View Post
Just a thought-I can’t verify this since I’m not at home, but I would think the cabin air intake would draw from an area that would be sealed off from the engine bay, presumably from behind the panels that have to be removed to access the plugs, since this just started after you had that done. The engine bay is pretty well sealed up, so if you are getting engine bay fumes through your cabin vents, they may have installed that paneling incorrectly.
I would do a leak check with the engine beauty cover & sound insulation off, and if you don’t see any leaks, check that the paneling aft of the strut brace is all installed correctly. There are multiple pieces that join together back there.
None of the covers or panels in the engine bay seal against air. The beauty cover is to reduce the ticking engine noises. The cabin air intake comes from below the windshield wipers. So any smells in the engine bay easily get sucked into the cabin.
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8628.50
      12-14-2022, 08:13 AM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGyv3r View Post
Coil and plug, rust or not, will not produce a gas smell.
That. Coils and plugs conduct electricity, not fuel. Look at the fuel lines, rail and injectors as possible leak sources.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 03:05 PM   #12
helomech
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGyv3r View Post
None of the covers or panels in the engine bay seal against air. The beauty cover is to reduce the ticking engine noises. The cabin air intake comes from below the windshield wipers. So any smells in the engine bay easily get sucked into the cabin.
Yeah, I know the beauty cover doesn't seal anything. I was referring to the panel that bolts down behind the strut tower brace that has to be removed to access the rear spark plugs & coils. That piece has a seal on it where it mates with the structure back there, and then there is the seal at the rear of the engine bay that follows the strut brace from fender to fender. When the hood is closed, that seal contacts the hood all the way across, which, along with the paneling between the engine bay and the firewall, isolates the engine bay. So then, between the engine bay and the firewall, with the hood closed and the panels/seal properly installed, there is an enclosure for cabin air to be drawn from (which includes the cabin air intake under the windshield wipers) that is separate from the engine bay. I'm thinking, if the OP doesn't have any leaks, something is up with that enclosure.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 06:19 PM   #13
slegau
Rep
Drives: bmw 2015 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTRON View Post
Where do you see this rust, not sure what to look for or what fuel injector looks like?
Appreciate 0