F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > stage 2?
ARMA SPEED

04-05-2023, 02:36 PM   #23
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcthedark View Post
If you look at 91 and the difference from 2 to 2+ ... does this happen on 91 in reality? Other tuners state that even on 93 there are no big gains and it all starts with E
Not sure what you mean by “does this happen on 91 in reality?” Those are Bootmod3’s estimates which I’ve always found to be pretty close. With 91 Octane tunes, from Stage2 to Stage2+ the estimated gains are +42hp/+126tq. It’s the higher flow HPFP that allows tuning for more horsepower and a lot more torque. (See the updated photo in my previous post.)

With that higher torque I would definitely recommend the xHP automatic transmission tune, as I believe Bootmod3 does.

TBH I put most custom tuners in the same class as used car salesmen. Gotta take anything that they say with a huge grain of salt because their ulterior motive is always to sell someone a custom tune for up to $700 to start.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 03:26 PM   #24
DieselDuck
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWB58

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Not sure what you mean by “does this happen on 91 in reality?” Those are Bootmod3’s estimates which I’ve always found to be pretty close. With 91 Octane tunes, from Stage2 to Stage2+ the estimated gains are +42hp/+126tq. It’s the higher flow HPFP that allows tuning for more horsepower and a lot more torque. (See the updated photo in my previous post.)

With that higher torque I would definitely recommend the xHP automatic transmission tune, as I believe Bootmod3 does.

TBH I put most custom tuners in the same class as used car salesmen. Gotta take anything that they say with a huge grain of salt because their ulterior motive is always to sell someone a custom tune for up to $700 to start.
Agree. When it comes to stock turbo tune for B58 I gotta see the first custom tune's log that does better than MHD or BM3...

Regarding the estimates I still think it's a bit optimistic, but whatever. imo stage 2+ (so basically with hpfp upgrade) only comes really interesting once you start using E mix. With 93 pump you can gain more torque on stage 2+ but advance timing is what makes the car really faster top end (but also overall) and therefor you need E mix / tune.
Appreciate 1
johnung4552.50
      04-06-2023, 10:36 AM   #25
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDuck View Post
Agree. When it comes to stock turbo tune for B58 I gotta see the first custom tune's log that does better than MHD or BM3...

Regarding the estimates I still think it's a bit optimistic, but whatever. imo stage 2+ (so basically with hpfp upgrade) only comes really interesting once you start using E mix. With 93 pump you can gain more torque on stage 2+ but advance timing is what makes the car really faster top end (but also overall) and therefor you need E mix / tune.
Having access to Ethanol is definitely a game changer. It can provide a performance gain with the stock turbo that previously would have required an aftermarket turbo upgrade. For example on a stock N55 EWG turbo, switching from 93 octane to full E85 provides about +50 or more horsepower.

But the additional hardware requirements to run/support full E85 on the N55 EWG engine are extensive/expensive including Dorch Stage2 HPFP, Precision Raceworks Stage 2.5v2 LPFP, FlexFuel sensor kit, MST V2 Turbo Inlet, Turbosmart BOV, 3.5bar TMAP sensor, typically another Race type intercooler upgrade, Turbo to Intercooler Pipe upgrade. xHP automatic transmission tune to handle the added torque. The Bootmod3 tune is awesome for upgrades. I’ve never spent a dime extra for tuning. The Bootmod3 FlexFuel MultiMap tunes handle all of the above brilliantly. The next step up for the N55 after E85 upgrades would probably be the Pure500 turbo. It should add another +40 to +70 horsepower. We will know for sure when some user dyno testing is completed.

The B58 engine has engineered out most of the issues that cause the N55 engine to need so many hardware upgrades to run full E85. I know that most people upgrade to the higher flow Supra B58TU HPFP to run moderate Ethanol percentages. But I would probably skip the TU pump and install a Dorch Stage2 B58 pump along with a Dorch B58 FlexFuel sensor kit at the same time. The Dorch kit installs in the engine bay at the same time as the Dorch HPFP and gives the most accurate reading of ethanol entering the engine because it’s so close to the HPFP. The Dorch kit also can accept a Zeitronix dashboard ethanol gauge as a simple plug in. The B58 doesn’t need the other N55 hardware upgrades. It does need the xHP automatic transmission tune to put the added torque to the asphalt. The B58 Bootmod3 tune handles ethanol great. B58 engine is really sweet!

Hope this helps someone!.

Appreciate 1
Wires1667.50
      04-06-2023, 02:30 PM   #26
Prak903
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Garage List
Also worth noting - there is no more Stage 2+ 91 map. BM3 removed as they were having too many corrections. So Stage 2+ and above require 93 and above now.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 03:01 PM   #27
5w20
@_sunbish
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i & 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbike18 View Post
It's not that dramatic of a gain from Stage 1. Going to stage 2+ is a dramatic gain for stage 2, and you'll only be a TU pump away if you do your plan
Before suggesting a TU pump, find out what platform the (OP/or whomever is asking) will be tuning on.

MHD or MG Flasher, you’ll be ok using the TU pump with any OTS map that they offer.

If the person asking the question has BM3, they should absolutely skip the TU pump and go straight to a stage 2 pump, or if they are getting a custom tune on any platform.
      04-09-2023, 03:56 PM   #28
abbike18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5w20 View Post
Before suggesting a TU pump, find out what platform the (OP/or whomever is asking) will be tuning on.

MHD or MG Flasher, you’ll be ok using the TU pump with any OTS map that they offer.

If the person asking the question has BM3, they should absolutely skip the TU pump and go straight to a stage 2 pump, or if they are getting a custom tune on any platform.
I'm not sure what your point is. I ran BM3 Stage 2+ with a TU pump very successfully.

Also, isn't your last paragraph a bit presumptuous of the person's (OP/or whomever is asking) goals? I'm sure there are plenty of people running custom tunes with the TU pump. Before giving such concrete advice it might be worth finding out their goals, or qualify your statement with what goals/condition would lead to that specific advice.
G.Newt810.00
      04-09-2023, 04:48 PM   #29
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbike18 View Post
I'm not sure what your point is. I ran BM3 Stage 2+ with a TU pump very successfully.

Also, isn't your last paragraph a bit presumptuous of the person's (OP/or whomever is asking) goals? I'm sure there are plenty of people running custom tunes with the TU pump. Before giving such concrete advice it might be worth finding out their goals, or qualify your statement with what goals/condition would lead to that specific advice.
Agree. TU pump is absolutely the best bang for the buck fueling upgrade. They can be had for under $300 now and allows you to run just about any of the OTS e mix maps from the various platforms. Plus, you can't even get a stage 2 pump at the moment. Seems like GM/AC Delco has a shortage on those, since they're just C7Z / ZL1 HPFP's.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 1
abbike18717.50