F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) > How often do you wax?
Extreme Powerhouse

06-07-2023, 11:03 AM   #23
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
I start each new car with a ‘process’ and then, just keep the maintenance up over the year.

Wash, clay, wash, dry. Using a porter cable with orange pad, I use a Wolfgang pre-wax/polish liquid to remove all remaining surface contamination. Then, use an orange pad with swirl remover to remove the dealer/port installed swirls (also a Wolfgang product). Once I’m content, then, I use a white pad to apply/remove a Wolfgang glaze, which brings back the luster. Then, I apply the Wolfgang sealant using a blue pad and let it cure for 12-16 hours in the garage (usually overnight). Next day, remove the sealant, and then apply Collinite 845 wax, remove it using a microfiber bonnet over a yellow pad. And finally, enjoy the shine.

Beyond that, I’ll wash the car every couple of weeks, and just use a detailing spray during wipe down. Every 3rd or 4th wash, apply a new coat of the 845 wax.

The current car lives in the garage unless I’m running errands, or traveling. I’ll take a rinseless wash if it’s long distance to make it easier to remove dead bugs/dirt/etc.

I don’t let other people touch my car, so, I spend the time/effort to do it right, and somehow, that makes me happy for all the effort I put in.
That's a solid process, admittedly more ambitious than I, as my body can only tolerate one pass (white pad with Sonax final polish) on the DA. I don't let anyone else detail my car either, and don't care to use coatings etc.

I was an 845 user for many years when I lived in the northeast. Great stuff. Now that I am in FL I don't need the cold / salt protection. If you want to treat yourself, get a sample size of Wolfgang Fuzion paste wax. It is far far easier to use than 845, and has "*that* carnauba glow.

Then, top it off with Pinnacle Crystal Mist Carnauba spray (NOT the ceramic or siO2, at least I haven't tried those).

If the Fuzion is more than you care to spend on a wax (I get it, it took me many years to finally spring for it) at least try the Crystal Mist because that in itself is my favorite between wax refresher. It used to come in a 4oz sampler too.
      06-07-2023, 11:12 AM   #24
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

I use a Sio2 type spray as my drying aid every wash usually once per week or sometimes I only wash on the 2nd week. But I'm about to get a ceramic coating and also will most likely still use my spray as my drying aid to top up.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 11:13 AM   #25
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAndGuitars View Post
I don't like coatings so I use wax, ok?? Still amazed?
Yeah but there's other options that sits between a wax and coating though. For example sealants or "ceramic"/sio2 type sprays.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 11:13 AM   #26
mcsquared
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 SSG G80 6m/t

Quote:
That's a solid process, admittedly more ambitious than I, as my body can only tolerate one pass (white pad with Sonax final polish) on the DA. I don't let anyone else detail my car either, and don't care to use coatings etc.

I was an 845 user for many years when I lived in the northeast. Great stuff. Now that I am in FL I don't need the cold / salt protection. If you want to treat yourself, get a sample size of Wolfgang Fuzion paste wax. It is far far easier to use than 845, and has "*that* carnauba glow.

Then, top it off with Pinnacle Crystal Mist Carnauba spray (NOT the ceramic or siO2, at least I haven't tried those).

If the Fuzion is more than you care to spend on a wax (I get it, it took me many years to finally spring for it) at least try the Crystal Mist because that in itself is my favorite between wax refresher. It used to come in a 4oz sampler too.
Well, Autogeek usually has some good sales, so, might give those a try since all the current bottles are near empty. I was going to go the pinnacle route with the new addition coming in Oct/Nov. The 845 is about half way done, so yeah, why not. Thanks for the tip! And yeah, I’m not a fan of ppf, or coatings either. So, the wax helps against the daily elements for sure!
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2023, 11:30 AM   #27
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Yeah but there's other options that sits between a wax and coating though. For example sealants or "ceramic"/sio2 type sprays.
Yes both Collinite 845 and Fuzion paste are wax/sealant hybrids. I also recently started using McKees Hydro Blue on my wheels. As much as I enjoy detailing, wheels and windows suck.
      06-07-2023, 11:37 AM   #28
mcsquared
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 SSG G80 6m/t

Windshields are easier with the windshield wow (windshieldwow.com). Cleans inside and outside pretty well. Just don’t buy the extension arm, I learned the hard way.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 12:36 PM   #29
oldguy00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xdrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJazz View Post
I don’t play guitar but I’d get one of the Kirk Hammett/Peter Green “Greeny” reps if I did! Love Peter Green! 😁😉
I've looked at those online but prob won't be able to hold one in person. I'm leaning towards the Amber Slash model - don't care about Slash, but love the thick neck on it and the AAA top.
The other I've been looking at is the Adam Jones, but the neck on it is thin like a 60's which is not my favourite...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 12:38 PM   #30
oldguy00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I'm a Zaino guy. I'm sure it's not the best anymore but it's still pretty good. I was every spring and fall and then another time or two in between. Apply a coat, maybe 2 if I have time. 135i doesn't have a lot of sheet metal and isn't tall so it's a pretty simple job and doesn't take me very long.
I use the Zaino leather conditioner on my X5's merino seats. Its one of my favourite products, love the smell.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 12:59 PM   #31
Kowalski2011
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3/Z3/M5/X5/135i/PCS/SQ5

Garage List
1991 BMW M5  [9.38]
2011 BMW 135i  [7.00]
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i  [9.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I ceramic coated the RAM as it is my winter vehicle and sees a lot of car washes in the winter. A ceramic spray sealant works great on those plastic wheel covers.

I've been using WG deep gloss paint sealant as my LSP on the cars for years with great results. A couple months ago I upgraded to Griot's Garage G8 and G9 ROs, now I can use 2,3,5 and 6 inch pads. Also their cleaners and BOSS polishes and waxes. I'm happy with the ease of use and initial results, now time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 01:18 PM   #32
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
I've looked at those online but prob won't be able to hold one in person. I'm leaning towards the Amber Slash model - don't care about Slash, but love the thick neck on it and the AAA top.
The other I've been looking at is the Adam Jones, but the neck on it is thin like a 60's which is not my favourite...
So are you looking at Epis, Gibsons or open to any mfg? Budget?
      06-08-2023, 07:45 AM   #33
dudley@07726
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 MB E400 Cpe, 23 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
To really know what's up with the wax you'd have to do some reasonably scientific testing. Even if it was still present the surface of it could change enough to make it seem to be gone.

I'm a Zaino guy. I'm sure it's not the best anymore but it's still pretty good. I was every spring and fall and then another time or two in between. Apply a coat, maybe 2 if I have time. 135i doesn't have a lot of sheet metal and isn't tall so it's a pretty simple job and doesn't take me very long.

Still shines like new. When it rains, the car sometimes actually gets cleaner than it started. I've seen streaks from where bird poop basically runs off like water instead of leaving a pile in place.

Car is garaged overnight and is parked outside during the day only a few days a week. Sees just a couple thousand miles a year. I'm sure that's part of it.
I use Zaino twice per year (Jan 1 and July 1)with a coat of Collonite 845 on top. In between, I use Optimum Spray wax. That is on my wife's 18 MB E400 Coupe. I may put on Duragloss 111 in between those dates.
I only use Optimum Spray Wax on my 23 m340i because it has full XPEL PPF. No need for anything else.
      06-08-2023, 08:58 AM   #34
oldguy00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So are you looking at Epis, Gibsons or open to any mfg? Budget?
USA Gibson.

I turn 50 in a few weeks, gotta get a nice birthday present for myself!

I have in the past owned an ESP KH-2 neckthru. Sold it and regret it. I think they are now like 5k and up, or something ridiculous like that.

Budget is def maxed at a USA Gibson like the slash model. So around the 3200-ish US area...

Last edited by oldguy00; 06-08-2023 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 09:14 AM   #35
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
USA Gibson.

I turn 50 in a few weeks, gotta get a nice birthday present for myself!

I have in the past owned an ESP KH-2 neckthru. Sold it and regret it. I think they are now like 5k and up, or something ridiculous like that.

Budget is def maxed at a USA Gibson like the slash model. So around the 3200-ish US area...
You said before you liked this one? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...appetite-amber

In my experience, these guys are great to deal with
      06-08-2023, 09:16 AM   #36
oldguy00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You said before you liked this one? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...appetite-amber

In my experience, these guys are great to deal with
Yup, that is one that I am looking at, though I am in Canada so will likely be buying from Long & McQuade - huge music chain store across Canada, good service and return policies, similar to Sweetwater.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2023, 10:34 AM   #37
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Quote:
I'm 99 44/100% acoustic now. Nothing sounds like a Les Paul, but most newer ones are boat anchors.
Funny you mentioned this but I just did a test this weekend on my trusty SG on what would make the color pop.

The Left is Jescar Ultra Lock Plus, the middle is Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray, and the last 1/3 is the Autoglym HD wax.

Also, the Gibson SG Standard is one of the best guitars out there for playing comfortably and the sound is quite great mated with a good amplifier. It doesn't break the bank like the Les Paul Standard (and awkward playing it for a long time).

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 11:00 AM   #38
realdah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

TBH, I never did waxing to any of my cars... only go automatic car wash few times a year. Most of the time, cars sit inside garage when back home, and when trade in, none of them ever asked anything about the paint.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 12:13 PM   #39
oldguy00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13 View Post
Funny you mentioned this but I just did a test this weekend on my trusty SG on what would make the color pop.

The Left is Jescar Ultra Lock Plus, the middle is Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray, and the last 1/3 is the Autoglym HD wax.

Also, the Gibson SG Standard is one of the best guitars out there for playing comfortably and the sound is quite great mated with a good amplifier. It doesn't break the bank like the Les Paul Standard (and awkward playing it for a long time).

The SG shape was never for me, but obviously very popular, and, Angus Young..
Dream guitar was always an ESP KH-2 Ouija. But I also really like the Gibson Les Pauls. I also find PRS's beautify to look at, but never liked the feel of the necks.
Appreciate 0