F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 430D - Looking to change but what next?
ARMA SPEED

10-21-2023, 01:37 PM   #1
Bluesden
Registered
Rep
Drives: 430D

430D - Looking to change but what next?

I have a dilemma... I'm considering selling my 430D convertible as I simply don't do the miles anymore and what was once my 60MPG+ motorway cruiser is no longer fuel efficient for my small trips.

With the desire to stay in a convertible I recently test drove a 2021 Z4 30i and was seriously disappointed. Having previously owned a hard top Z4 it felt like someone had sucked all the fun out of it. It was seriously lacking in the gearbox and engine fronts, with no discernible engine note or responsiveness. I really didn't like it...

So, what's next for me? I need to move out of my diesel and move to either petrol, hybrid or EV. But which model? Any BMW suggestions? I don't drive my 430D like I stole it all the time, but putting it in Sport, moving the shifter to the left and using the paddles on a country road is a serious delight when it happens. The Z4 30i just couldn't compete in my mind.

Any EV convertibles, roadsters on the cards? Appreciate any input. Maybe my 430D has just spoilt me - It's an amazing car and I love it to bits but it's getting seriously expensive to run for short drives (32MPG in Eco Pro on average now). I've gone from around 100 miles a day commute to just 10.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 01:43 PM   #2
Allworth
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d (E84)

So your argument to move out of diesel - you do not do mileage. I feel like loss due to moving to a new car is greater than one losing due to keeping diesel car when doing low mileage. If it was a petrol and mileage was great, than the argument would be more valid IMHO.
      10-25-2023, 03:06 AM   #3
GOF_430d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 430d convertible

As a fellow 430d convertible owner whose daily average journey now is 20 miles [used to be longer] driving to & from work with the occasional longer motorway trips, I don't use Eco Pro unless I'm in very heavy traffic or I'm coasting downhill for a laugh [don't judge me]. I thought about buying a 430i but have decided to do nothing as I can't see the point in spending more money for no appreciable benefit. Anyway I'd miss the grumbly diesel engine and the point & squirt moments when I realise that I'm in the wrong lane at the traffic lights and need to beat everyone.

PS I've never managed 60+ mpg. Anymore than 450miles per tankful on a run or 350 miles pottering around in Comfort is a bonus.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 03:25 AM   #4
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesden View Post
It's an amazing car and I love it to bits but it's getting seriously expensive to run for short drives (32MPG in Eco Pro on average now). I've gone from around 100 miles a day commute to just 10.
The cost of change is likely far more than the cost of keeping a car you love. 32mpg is not in the expensive end of running a car, my previous 340i F31 averaged that over its 70K miles which I was very happy with and it was 10mpg less than the long term average on my former 330d.

If you are only doing 10 miles a day, buy a push bike and keep the car for weekend use perhaps?

If you still want the same grunt and acceleration in a new car and in petrol you'll likely end up with the same 32mpg.... or less.

Can't comment on electric as no experience of them and they are expensive, but would suggest that hybrid is a waste of time, having driven a few.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 05:27 AM   #5
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

The equivalent petrol car in weight and performance would be worse than 32mpg on short journeys, although regular DPF regens might be a thing if it never stretches its legs.

Agreed on 60+mpg. Never seen anything like that from my 330d. 50 is it's long term average - 95% comfort mode, 5% sport mode. I've not used EcoSlo once since buying the car. Start/stop is defaulted to off. I'll take that for a dollar. Being new to modern diesels, that seems remarkable to me for a 1700kg car.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 06:36 AM   #6
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

If you're not doing much mileage is there really much saving to be had with fuel vs something petrol? Unless you do go hybrid or full electric I just can't see the savings being worth anything at all, and even then the cost of depreciation on something newer is going to offset a lot of what you do save. Sure, pence per mile may be more now that you're doing shorter journeys but the overall cost is still less because you're doing less miles. I think I'm wired differently because to me less miles would justify increased cost more than it would justify spending money changing car, but then I don't like changing cars constantly. If you like the car, and you could afford to run it for more miles, then I'd just keep it. I don't think I've ever seen over 45mpg from my similarly engined 335d estate, let alone 60mpg, albeit there are occasions where you get sustained 25 mile mostly downhill runs on the A9 where the 15 minute economy breakdown bars will show 60mpg. Average over its life though is about 37.5mpg with very little short journeying. If you're getting 31mpg from short journeys I'd be more than happy with that, it still beats the average economy of almost every car I've ever owned!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 07:23 AM   #7
Allworth
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d (E84)

OP, if you have friends driving Porsches I can suggest Mercedes Benz, they have a good range of electrics!
      10-25-2023, 01:18 PM   #8
Bluesden
Registered
Rep
Drives: 430D

Thank you all for taking the time to chip in. My 60+MPG was achieved using eco pro and just driving gently in M25 rush hour traffic coasting where possible and stop / start on. I used to easily do 500 ish motorway commuting miles a week and drove the car like a big comfy armchair :-)

Combined, you have convinced me to keep the car and run with it for now. I have no major desire to change but just know that driving a diesel is only going to get more tricky with the deliberate increase in diesel fuel costs and the various ULEZ zones popping up around the country with a continued push on emissions.

The argument related to new car spend versus continuing with a 30something MPG car also makes sense.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 1
Alscoob2199.00
      10-25-2023, 02:01 PM   #9
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

I think the emissions issue is definitely a valid one, but the car you've got meets the current maximum standard of Euro 6. The next iteration is Euro 7 and that won't be brought in until 2025 so even if every city brought in an immediate ban, that would essentially only allow brand new cars into centres so I suspect that it would be a gradual introduction, delaying any direct impact to you.
Appreciate 1
MY340i731.50
      10-26-2023, 10:32 AM   #10
fuzzybunny
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Orange F33 435dx Convertible

The F33 is a great design, and it has a back seat which is such a bonus compared to the two-seaters I have had before. I do love the 300+ bhp in my 435dx and of course the extra stability of all-wheel drive.
      10-27-2023, 10:39 AM   #11
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesden View Post
Combined, you have convinced me to keep the car and run with it for now. I have no major desire to change but just know that driving a diesel is only going to get more tricky with the deliberate increase in diesel fuel costs and the various ULEZ zones popping up around the country with a continued push on emissions.
I would. You clearly love it and that's reason enough

What ever we drive is going to be made more expensive and tedious going forward, thanks to the government's never ending war on the motorist.

When EVs are mass adopted, you can bet your bottom dollar, £7.50 per gallon of fuel will switch over to £7.50 per 10KW of charge Early EV adopters currently enjoying cheap overnight charging won't last. They will use more Nuclear investment to meet demand as the excuse.

Enjoy what you've got for long as you can.
Appreciate 1
Ennoch2264.00