F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW engine knocking noise.
ARMA SPEED

04-29-2023, 09:07 AM   #45
PeakyJ
Enthusiast
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d

How much did you pay for the car? Depending on the cost of repair it might work out better auctioning it off as is on eBay and putting the money towards a replacement. You’ll be surprised how much you might get for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 04:09 PM   #46
Chindabest
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D 2013

I have took the car to a garage.One of their mechanics had a look first they thought it’s rod bearings. Then they drained the engine oil and the inspect the oil filter they haven’t found any metal particles or silver coloured engine oil.Then he said the noise is coming from upper part of the engine so it’s not the rod bearings.They thought it’s something to do with the injectors.injectors tested and one replaced.But the knocking is still there. I ask them to stop from there cos the bill is over £1000. I’m going for a engine rebuild rather than buying an engine
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 04:19 PM   #47
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

The trouble is, engine knocks resonate through the entire lump, so it can be hard to accurately pin point the source of the noise, but if they measured the bearing shell clearances and reckon they're OK, fair enough. Maybe excessive tappet noise?

It certainly sounded like classic rod knock to me, but good luck with the engine rebuild. Good to see you persevering with it instead of throwing the towel in If the rest of the car is sound and you enjoy it, then why not.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 03:40 AM   #48
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chindabest View Post
I have took the car to a garage.One of their mechanics had a look first they thought it’s rod bearings. Then they drained the engine oil and the inspect the oil filter they haven’t found any metal particles or silver coloured engine oil.Then he said the noise is coming from upper part of the engine so it’s not the rod bearings.They thought it’s something to do with the injectors.injectors tested and one replaced.But the knocking is still there. I ask them to stop from there cos the bill is over £1000. I’m going for a engine rebuild rather than buying an engine
Why go all-in with a rebuild before you have a conclusive diagnosis of the root cause of the problem ?

Eliminating the rod bearings (if the garage actually inspected / measured them properly) is one thing, but there’s a long list of things which could cause knocking noises.

Main bearings.
Big end rod bearings.
Small end rod bearings.
Piston slap ?
Engine mounts (a bit of an outlier for the sound from your engine but worth checking).
Camshafts and bearings.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 01:49 AM   #49
Chindabest
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboWeasel View Post
The trouble is, engine knocks resonate through the entire lump, so it can be hard to accurately pin point the source of the noise, but if they measured the bearing shell clearances and reckon they're OK, fair enough. Maybe excessive tappet noise?

It certainly sounded like classic rod knock to me, but good luck with the engine rebuild. Good to see you persevering with it instead of throwing the towel in If the rest of the car is sound and you enjoy it, then why not.
Yes definitely most people say get rid of it scrap it sort of things but I never scrap a car in my life.I love the car even though it’s 9 years old still nice to drive. I’ll see what they can do but I certainly think it’s worth the repair.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 01:52 AM   #50
Chindabest
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Why go all-in with a rebuild before you have a conclusive diagnosis of the root cause of the problem ?

Eliminating the rod bearings (if the garage actually inspected / measured them properly) is one thing, but there’s a long list of things which could cause knocking noises.

Main bearings.
Big end rod bearings.
Small end rod bearings.
Piston slap ?
Engine mounts (a bit of an outlier for the sound from your engine but worth checking).
Camshafts and bearings.
I know I should have gone for the engine rebuild but I thought perhaps it’s worth going to a garage diagnose the issue.But I will see if the issue can be fixed after the rebuild.That’s my last option.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 01:58 AM   #51
Chindabest
Rep

Hi Everyone I forgot to mention on here from the beginning. I have sprayed some air intake cleaner to the air intake.But stupidity I was very busy on that day I was on the phone there were lots of distractions.engine was a bit rough went to Halfords bought the spray and i spray in the air intake while the engine was off.then I realised I did it wrong way around.I started the car RPM went very high instantly.lots of black smoke.engine had loud noise.I turned it off.Wait few minutes drove home no issues after.This occurred after 4 days while I was driving on the motor way.any idea intake cleaner caused it?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 03:00 AM   #52
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Yes, hugely important piece of information and should have formed the start of your post.

You’ve not followed the correct procedure, have likely used far too much in one go, and I wonder whether you bought the correct product.

You may well have caused the problem.

In my experience these inlet cleaners are a waste of money. If the inlet manifold and/or ports are heavily fouled then removing the IM and having it cleaned professionally (unless you know precisely what to do) is the best way forwards.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 03:13 AM   #53
Chindabest
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Yes, hugely important piece of information and should have formed the start of your post.

You’ve not followed the correct procedure, have likely used far too much in one go, and I wonder whether you bought the correct product.

You may well have caused the problem.

In my experience these inlet cleaners are a waste of money. If the inlet manifold and/or ports are heavily fouled then removing the IM and having it cleaned professionally (unless you know precisely what to do) is the best way forwards.
Thanks for the info I thought after engine starts fine so no damage or whatsoever. I learned my lesson now.not sure it was a piston damage or something else.but problem started on mortorway I think after the cruise control activated.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 05:43 AM   #54
Chindabest
Rep

Hello Guys
The car engine will be ready soon.decided to go for a rebuild than risking buying and spending too much money on a second hand engine.I found a place who does rebuild near to my place and they worked for BMW in the past.
Cylinder 3 rod bearing is gone.Crank shaft journal is scratched.
Engine block is skimmed,rebored,cranck shaft polished,new oil pump,new oil cooler,new timig chain kit and gaskets.Lbour costing me £1500 the for the parts.I guees the total would be £4500.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 11:30 AM   #55
sudraka
Registered
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 2.0d, F31 318d

I think I have the same problem https://youtube.com/shorts/3bc4q8HIkJ4

Same sound as you had? I also have a knock and after highish revs up a hill. in the time I've had it its been well looked after, regular oil changes etc. I've drained oil, no filings, metal anything. Took rocker cover off, nothing out of ordinary, no injector blow bow or movement either. I did find a video of a similar screeching sound and it was blow by on turbo to exhaust manifold

Has the rebuild gone well?
Appreciate 0