F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Leaking rear door, wet carpet
Extreme Powerhouse

01-03-2018, 12:52 PM   #1
Anton_555
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d sport

Leaking rear door, wet carpet

Went to vacuum the carpets on my F31 and the driver side rear footwell was damp near the door. Investigated and found that water was coming out the bottom of the rear door where the trim panel meets the metal work (so inside the door seals). Removed the trim panel and spotted that water was getting past the vapour barrier in a couple places and also splashing through a couple manufacturing holes. So, my questions are;

1) Anyone else had issues with this on F30/31?
2) Is it normal for some water to get through the manufacturing holes?
3) Are there any known issues with window seals around the glass letting excessive water into the door cavity?

Attached a couple of photos for reference.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 01:11 PM   #2
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Not on my F30 - but on a couple of previous cars I've had water in the footwell due to blocked drainage holes on the bottom of the door. Water inevitably gets down the inner door, it's when it's got nowhere to go that you've got an issue.

On my M135i it was actually a damaged inner membrane that caused the same thing you're experiencing so maybe something you need to get the dealer to have a look at. That was covered under warranty for me.
      01-03-2018, 01:34 PM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton_555 View Post
1) Anyone else had issues with this on F30/31?
2) Is it normal for some water to get through the manufacturing holes?
3) Are there any known issues with window seals around the glass letting excessive water into the door cavity?

Attached a couple of photos for reference.

Thanks in advance!
Had the problem with my BMW's, current F11 last year.

By manufacturing holes, looks like you mean the holes for the door card fasteners. They have a rubber seal on them, which compresses when clicked home, and stops the water ingress. Ensure you don't lose any while the card is removed, or you will have a further leak.

Window seals don't stop water getting down in the door, you can't stop that happening. Bottom glass seal may shrink a bit and have gaps at the ends. That will make it worse, but we do depend on the vapour barrier for controlling the water flows down and out of the doors.

Why do the vapour barriers come adrift? I suspect a major cause is heat in the summer months, mastic softens and any stressed areas pop apart. Has always been on the same side of my car. When left parked on my drive, it's the sunny side through the hottest part of the day.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2018, 01:45 PM   #4
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCH1984 View Post
Not on my F30 - but on a couple of previous cars I've had water in the footwell due to blocked drainage holes on the bottom of the door. Water inevitably gets down the inner door, it's when it's got nowhere to go that you've got an issue.

On my M135i it was actually a damaged inner membrane that caused the same thing you're experiencing so maybe something you need to get the dealer to have a look at. That was covered under warranty for me.
As suggested, my first check would be the drain holes - right at the bottom of the door. These often get blocked, even by wax when the car is manufactured.

Check/clear them by poking a (wooden !) stick like a kebab stick into the hole.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2018, 02:09 PM   #5
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G15 840i Coupe

Agree check drain holes they can fill in corrosion inhibitor after a hot period. Inspect where the mastic seal meets the door and press down around the full seal to make sure full contact and no gaps especially where cable harnesses are in place. When refitting the door cards make sure all clip washers are in place to seal the holes that the clips enter, hope this helps.
      01-03-2018, 03:51 PM   #6
Anton_555
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the replies, appreciated!

The drain holes are clear, and I hadn't appreciated that the attachment fasteners act as seals once the door card is installed so visible water at those locations is maybe not such a concern.

The butyl sealing has definitely been disturbed previously by someone, and no amount of pressing and resealing is making it much better. Will try to get hold of some new butyl tape and reseat it. If that fails will need a new vapour barrier from the stealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 03:18 AM   #7
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

Quote:

The drain holes are clear, and I hadn't appreciated that the attachment fasteners act as seals once the door card is installed so visible water at those locations is maybe not such a concern.

The butyl sealing has definitely been disturbed previously by someone, and no amount of pressing and resealing is making it much better. Will try to get hold of some new butyl tape and reseat it. If that fails will need a new vapour barrier from the stealer.
Going by your pictures I wouldn't have bothered to say check the drainage holes, as you can clearly see the vapour barrier is damaged (unless you did that)

I have the same issue on my X3, with water running down between the bottom of the door trim and the physical door (drivers door).
If I pour water down the tiny gap (bottom left) where the bottom of the glass window meets the door seal, you should normally see water trickle out the bottom drainage holes. With mine (and I assume you will too), you see some water come out the drainage holes, but also between the trim and the door and this is typical when there is an issue with the vapour barrier.

I plan to look at mine this summer, as it only really seems to be an issue if my car is parked at a certain angle.
I have opened my car door on a couple of occasions and a large amount of water has fallen from between the door seal and the car body seal, so it hasn't quite made it over the lip in to the car itself yet!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 03:36 AM   #8
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Always makes me chuckle that BMW have called what is effectively supposed to be a waterproofing seal a "vapour barrier".

Common problem on BMW's over the years - last time I had to sort it out was on my wife's E70 X5.

As has been noted, you can see in your pics the foam seal has been torn, and from the looks of the black adhesive/sealant along the bottom and left, has been removed previously for some reason.

Make sure you dry the carpet out properly, as if it's been leaking for a while, the carpet foam "underlay" which is about an inch thick, will be utterly saturated as it literally soaks it up like a sponge.
      01-04-2018, 06:32 AM   #9
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

I have got something similar on the front nearside door and its winding me up.

Seems to be when I go to one of the hand car washes and they jetspray it. I am still at a loss to where its coming in or how to cure it. i don't fancy taking the door card off and trying to find a leak in the membrane if its somewhere else.

Are there any obvious places to try as the easiest first option?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 07:17 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post
I have got something similar on the front nearside door and its winding me up.

Seems to be when I go to one of the hand car washes and they jetspray it. I am still at a loss to where its coming in or how to cure it. i don't fancy taking the door card off and trying to find a leak in the membrane if its somewhere else.

Are there any obvious places to try as the easiest first option?
Where is the water first showing up?

If you are getting condensation on the door sill plate, that is a clue it is coming from the door.

If you see water coming out from the bottom of the door, between the door card and metal frame, almost certainly from a leaking barrier.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 07:46 AM   #11
Craig-SM
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M Sport - F30

Quote:

I had this on another car. Trying to remove the old tape and make the surfaces clean destroys the barrier. Better to use a bitumen type product. I ended using an emergency roof repair, pushing it under the barrier and massaging it around the existing tape. It never leaked again in the remaining three years I had that car.

All car doors that windows which lower will allow water in. It will normally run down the door skin and membrane then to the bottom of the door and through the drain holes. Any break in the membrane or it’s seal will allow water through onto the door card and into car.

As others have said make sure it’s throughly dried out inside. You can get 1kg dehumidifier bags which absorb water quickly, just keep the temp turned up to draw the water out the carpets.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 07:57 AM   #12
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Where is the water first showing up?

If you are getting condensation on the door sill plate, that is a clue it is coming from the door.

If you see water coming out from the bottom of the door, between the door card and metal frame, almost certainly from a leaking barrier.
The truth is that I don't know yet. The wetness is roughly in the same position as the plastic "heel mat" that is on the drivers side. My plan is to put kitchen paper on the floor next time I go to the car wash and see if I can pin it down slightly.

I don't think that the windscreen is BMW, so it has probably been changed at some point, so that could be an issue - don't know yet.

I will try to make some progress this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 02:56 PM   #13
Anton_555
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

I've ordered a new barrier (it's called "sound insulation" according to RealOEM) along with a roll of Butyl tape so have the joyous task of scraping the old stuff off and cleaning the surface up prior to installation.

The ripped and bodged existing barrier I would guess can be attributed to the "expert" BMW technicians who repaired a faulty rear electric window a couple of years ago when the first owner had it. Nice job.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 08:30 AM   #14
Anton_555
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

FOLLOW UP.....

New Butyl tape and barrier installed. If it leaks after this then I'll get a bucket
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 10:36 AM   #15
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post
The truth is that I don't know yet. The wetness is roughly in the same position as the plastic "heel mat" that is on the drivers side. My plan is to put kitchen paper on the floor next time I go to the car wash and see if I can pin it down slightly.

I don't think that the windscreen is BMW, so it has probably been changed at some point, so that could be an issue - don't know yet.

I will try to make some progress this weekend.
Took mine to the local hand car wash and had the floor covered with kitchen paper. They gave it then usual blast - but no water has get into the car, still completely dry.

But, I was under the bonnet before the car wash and a piece of plastic that lies flat across the width of the engine bay and butting up to the wipers was not located into one of the fitting holes. It was maybe 1-2cm out of line. Pushed it back in at the time, so maybe this could be the issue? It could be the case that some water that is supposed to being routed away to safety was falling into the car?

Anyway, hope that this solves the problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 01:28 PM   #16
mkt
Romania
Rep
Drives: F30 330xd 2014

Hello there! Great topic, here is my problem: F30 2014, rear left floor carpet gets soaking wet. I removed the door panel and started pouring water on the outside.
There was a massive amount of water getting into the door, coming out around the speaker and thru the vapor barrier. Is it normal to have such a lot of water getting in the door - and on the speaker? the window sealing is similar to the other side, no water there.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 04:52 AM   #17
Trimrol
Registered
Rep
Drives: Fxx

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkt View Post
Hello there! Great topic, here is my problem: F30 2014, rear left floor carpet gets soaking wet. I removed the door panel and started pouring water on the outside.
There was a massive amount of water getting into the door, coming out around the speaker and thru the vapor barrier. Is it normal to have such a lot of water getting in the door - and on the speaker? the window sealing is similar to the other side, no water there.
Damage discovered recent week.
F3xx built 2016.
Rear side door right and left.
One single owner and user so far this F3xx.
No upgrades media, audio, entertainment area were ordered so far this F3xx.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0