F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Drivetrain Failure - Potential Fuel Pump Issue
Extreme Powerhouse

12-05-2023, 08:26 AM   #1
aidenb606
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 420D (2016)

Drivetrain Failure - Potential Fuel Pump Issue

Hi All, first time poster.

1 week after my warranty expired, went to drive my 2016 420d Gran Coupe off the drive way on Saturday and got a drivetrain error and now the engine wont start (its cranking over but not starting) Had BMW come and collect the car because I thought it would be the EGR error recall issue but they have now confirmed to me that it isnt.

Video they have sent through to me suggests there is a Fuel Rail Pressure issue and they need to check the high pressure pump and the quality of the fuel in the vehicle.

Question, What are the potential causes of this issue? Could it be the quality of the diesel used? or is it likely that this issue is the common fuel pump issue which drives a need to replace pretty much the full system?

I have heard from a friend it cost them upwards of £3,600!

Any help or guidance is really appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 03:43 AM   #2
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

What mileage is your car on? Fingers crossed you get a good will arrangement.

Fuel rail pressure could be affected by anything from the Tank to the Rail, including the LPFP, HPFP, Clogged Pipework/Filter.

HPFP's have often failed due to poor lubrication. End of the day though, Diesel is made in refineries to national standards so will have a set lubricity anywhere you fill up. Additives like Cetane-boosting 2-EHN actually reduce lubricity so will likely have to be mixed with enhancers.
Appreciate 0