F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Odd B58 Misfire / Issue
GetBMWParts

11-05-2021, 02:20 PM   #1
340iexo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i XDrive

Exclamation Odd B58 Misfire / Issue

Hey everyone, I am here to share my experience with my Gen 1 B58 issues. I have a FBO ‘18 340ix. Stock TCU and Stage 2 93 AGG OTS Map from Bootmod3.

TLDR; Misfires in Cylinder 3, then moved to 1 then 1 and 6. Replaced sparks and coils. Spark @ 0.022 gap Champion OEM. Cylinder misfires gone, except 6. Tried old spark on cylinder 6 and misfires cleared. Car idles perfect and runs great under 20% or less load. I’m stuck. Old plugs were gapped at 0.029 (factory spec)

Last Thursday, I got off work and went to get gas - filled her up and started it. Within 45 seconds I noticed my idle was just awful, sounded like choking and about to stall out. Restarted the car and it was still atrocious. Finished my commute home and by the time I pulled in, DING! CEL is flashing now. I then proceed to flash my stock map, and clear the codes (misfire galore on cylinder 3). The car runs good for the first 45 seconds, then right back to misfiring. Check the codes, and I get the first screenshot. Misfire directed to Cylinder 3.

From here, I need to isolate the issue - I do so by taking the ignition coil from Cylinder 3, and move it to Cylinder 1. I then take Cylinder 3 spark plug, move it to Cylinder 2. This will allow me to recognize injector failure, spark, or coil.

The code followed to Cylinder 1. I went ahead and ordered spark plugs before this happened, so I replaced those, but given my test - this is an ignition coil fault. Coil & Spark Plugs both replaced & with a gap of 0.022.

After installation of everything, TQd plugs @ 17 ft-lbs, we are still in a very peculiar spot…. NOW - there is no misfire, but HEAVY timing pull on WOT or 20%+ load….it WILL misfire on “cylinder 1” if I try to force the pull (bogs car very very hard) and drive train issue comes up. Clear code, and it’s gone, back to no misfire.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 09:55 PM   #2
SAKF_B58
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 M140i

Sounds like you have a faulty fuel injectors. Whats the miles ? Stop driving it as you will end up causing more damage if you havent already.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 11:55 AM   #3
vektorprime
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440xi

Do you have stock HPFP? Or has it ever been replaced?

How about WMI?

In that last scenario, are you running stock tune and it still happens?

Are you also torquing the coils to spec? In the past I have over tightened these with no issue, but I believe it's supposed to be just something around 7lb.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 02:54 AM   #4
supremacyxi
SupremacyXI
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i, 2021 BMW M3 6MT

Sounds like a fuel related issue. I'd start with HPFP but it could also be an individual injector.
      12-21-2021, 06:33 AM   #5
Antwan340i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340iexo View Post
Hey everyone, I am here to share my experience with my Gen 1 B58 issues. I have a FBO ‘18 340ix. Stock TCU and Stage 2 93 AGG OTS Map from Bootmod3.

TLDR; Misfires in Cylinder 3, then moved to 1 then 1 and 6. Replaced sparks and coils. Spark @ 0.022 gap Champion OEM. Cylinder misfires gone, except 6. Tried old spark on cylinder 6 and misfires cleared. Car idles perfect and runs great under 20% or less load. I’m stuck. Old plugs were gapped at 0.029 (factory spec)

Last Thursday, I got off work and went to get gas - filled her up and started it. Within 45 seconds I noticed my idle was just awful, sounded like choking and about to stall out. Restarted the car and it was still atrocious. Finished my commute home and by the time I pulled in, DING! CEL is flashing now. I then proceed to flash my stock map, and clear the codes (misfire galore on cylinder 3). The car runs good for the first 45 seconds, then right back to misfiring. Check the codes, and I get the first screenshot. Misfire directed to Cylinder 3.

From here, I need to isolate the issue - I do so by taking the ignition coil from Cylinder 3, and move it to Cylinder 1. I then take Cylinder 3 spark plug, move it to Cylinder 2. This will allow me to recognize injector failure, spark, or coil.

The code followed to Cylinder 1. I went ahead and ordered spark plugs before this happened, so I replaced those, but given my test - this is an ignition coil fault. Coil & Spark Plugs both replaced & with a gap of 0.022.

After installation of everything, TQd plugs @ 17 ft-lbs, we are still in a very peculiar spot…. NOW - there is no misfire, but HEAVY timing pull on WOT or 20%+ load….it WILL misfire on “cylinder 1” if I try to force the pull (bogs car very very hard) and drive train issue comes up. Clear code, and it’s gone, back to no misfire.
Did you ever figure out what the issue was?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 11:07 AM   #6
Myles561
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i FBO (current)

O2 sensors
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 12:08 AM   #7
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles561 View Post
O2 sensors
That's what happened with my case with Gen1 B58 after the shop damaged the stock O2 sensor (pre-cat) during install of AA catted DP. And the misfire wasn't really following anything from usual troubleshooting from moving the plugs and coils independently. Basically the misfires were showing in the fault codes on almost all cylinders Then the shop realized that the misfires started happening once the car goes into closed loop (whatever that means). Replaced with stock pre-cat O2 sensor, and did few WOT pulls with data logging with MHD. What a nightmare experience that was and now i know what a limp mode feels like. Never want to go through that again, at least not for a while.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 01:49 AM   #8
B58
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan5m3 View Post
That's what happened with my case with Gen1 B58 after the shop damaged the stock O2 sensor (pre-cat) during install of AA catted DP. And the misfire wasn't really following anything from usual troubleshooting from moving the plugs and coils independently. Basically the misfires were showing in the fault codes on almost all cylinders Then the shop realized that the misfires started happening once the car goes into closed loop (whatever that means). Replaced with stock pre-cat O2 sensor, and did few WOT pulls with data logging with MHD. What a nightmare experience that was and now i know what a limp mode feels like. Never want to go through that again, at least not for a while.
Which brand oxygen sensor you get? OEM or like Bosch/NTK?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 10:33 AM   #9
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by b58 View Post
which brand oxygen sensor you get? Oem or like bosch/ntk?
oem,

11-78-8-644-371 (g01)
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 10:56 AM   #10
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKF_B58 View Post
Sounds like you have a faulty fuel injectors. Whats the miles ? Stop driving it as you will end up causing more damage if you havent already.
When did the problem start to occur? For how long was the engine running fine with the mods listed?

These are the common components / sensors working together to manage fuel mixture delivery and ignition:

1. Spark plugs
2. Wires (don't forget to check these)
3. Fuel injectors
4. O2 sensor
5. HPFP
6. DME; the more expensive item if faulty
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 10:56 AM   #11
Judelow36
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340iexo View Post

So i had a similar issue with cylinder 6, i swapped the coils on cyl#1 and 6, nothing changed, then i completely disconnected coil#6, still same, running on 5 cylinders, turned out to be a sparkplug
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2024, 01:32 PM   #12
Akshay918
Rep
Drives: X5 50i F15

Hello
Changed injectors in my b58
Swap all old to new
Now the car misfires at idle only
But when you drive it there is no misfire at all
Attached Images

Appreciate 0