F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Do I have CiC or NBT? Can I safely upgrade to the Android 10 screen?
Studio RSR

04-28-2021, 11:53 AM   #1
MorbidAngel
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive -14

Do I have CiC or NBT? Can I safely upgrade to the Android 10 screen?

Hello I have looked at the guides and from what I gather it seems like I have the NBT version but my iDrive knob is really small and doesn't go either up or down and only left and right. I haven't seen this type of knob before.

Also I have the CD/Multimedia one combined. Does this mean I have the combined version? My car is manufactured October 2013. I have an F30 320D. It's listed as 2014.

I have been looking at this Android screen but I'm uncertain whether or not I can upgrade because of my iDrive.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 12:22 PM   #2
drdino
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
If you can share the last 7 digits of your VIN, I can take a look. It looks like an HU_ENTRY though.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 12:26 PM   #3
MorbidAngel
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdino View Post
If you can share the last 7 digits of your VIN, I can take a look. It looks like an HU_ENTRY though.
I just talked to Bimmertech support and they confirmed that I have the HU_ENTRY. However they didn't want to answer any questions regarding the Android upgrade.

So can I just purchase the Android screen and upgrade it with the instructions without any issues? Thank you for your help!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 05:54 PM   #4
MHF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Sedan

You should check what type of LVDS cable (cable on the back of your existing headunit) you have and what type the new screen requires. My car came equipped with CIC but still needed an NBT MMI unit.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 06:11 PM   #5
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
I have a 320 2014. It is ENTRY HU as yours. Same 6.5" display, no navigation. In my case it is NBT. How I figured? By removing the trim and radio system and confirming the system is 6 pins. I was reluctant to do that but one day you have to bite the bullet...
I checked, learned and took that as practice to go ahead.
With that information I ordered my NBT and when I received I kind of know what I would face to install the MMI.
My recommendation is to go there and check.
Your system is very similar to mine, if you have additional question, feel free to ask me.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 02:52 AM   #6
MorbidAngel
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauloxxi View Post
I have a 320 2014. It is ENTRY HU as yours. Same 6.5" display, no navigation. In my case it is NBT. How I figured? By removing the trim and radio system and confirming the system is 6 pins. I was reluctant to do that but one day you have to bite the bullet...
I checked, learned and took that as practice to go ahead.
With that information I ordered my NBT and when I received I kind of know what I would face to install the MMI.
My recommendation is to go there and check.
Your system is very similar to mine, if you have additional question, feel free to ask me.
To clarify, you have the 6 pin NBT connector and you COULD install the android screen without having to replace or install any other parts? I'm removing the head unit today to check.

So if I have the 4 pin, I CANNOT install the android screen right? And if I have the 6 pin I'm good to go and I can purchase the one I linked in this thread?

Thank you for your help!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 10:48 AM   #7
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidAngel View Post
To clarify, you have the 6 pin NBT connector and you COULD install the android screen without having to replace or install any other parts? I'm removing the head unit today to check.

So if I have the 4 pin, I CANNOT install the android screen right? And if I have the 6 pin I'm good to go and I can purchase the one I linked in this thread?

Thank you for your help!
I didn't install Android screen. I kept the 6.5" screen in my car.
I installed the MMI with CarPlay.
Upon finding what system you have, I recommend you to ask the vendor if you can install, and what you have to do to install the Android screen.
Appreciate 1
Rathian155.00
      04-29-2021, 04:04 PM   #8
mrberry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 630i

Quote:

Thank you for your help!
if you have 4 pin you would tell that to the seller and they would send you one that has a 4 pin connector
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 05:14 AM   #9
F30tron
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 320D

Quote:

Thank you for your help!
So what was the outcome? I'm in the same position here and getting conflicting answers from different vendors.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 10:33 AM   #10
MorbidAngel
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30tron View Post
So what was the outcome? I'm in the same position here and getting conflicting answers from different vendors.

F30 has 6-pin so you are fine. You can install it. Doesn't matter if it's CIC or NBT it will be 6-pin.
Appreciate 0